It was 7.30AM W.I.B (GMT +7) in the morning and I was running late to go to work. So I was in a hurry. I was exiting my house then got called by my wife so I just put the passport on top of my car engine. This might be the dumbest thing that I did. Afterwards, since I was in a hurry, I rushed out from my house, not remembering about my phone on top of the car engine, I sped away.

Upon entering the freeway toll-gate, there was a bit of traffic jam. After I managed to break free from the traffic jam, I began to increase the speed of my car to about 90 KM/H when all of a sudden, I saw a rectangle shaped thing just bounced off my car to the freeway pavement. I took a look from the car mirror and just realized it was my beloved passport. My heart just stopped beating after I realized the fact that I put my passport on top of the car engine this morning and forgot to pick it up

The only thing that I thought of at this moment was "bye-bye, passport". I was sure that the passport had been crushed by those vehicles behind me. It was the freeway where there are no slow moving vehicles. Then, I pulled over on the side of the freeway, not even remembering that the law forbid me to do that unless emergency, with only one thing in my mind, I need to save my passport.

I exited my vehicle, ran back to where the passport fell off, waited a bit until the freeway was kind of clear for me to get across to pick up my passport, then ran back across again after I picked it up and walked towards my vehicle. I was checking to see if it still works during this time. I entered my vehicle, tried to place a few calls and browse to a few websites and at that moment, I realized my passport has survived with only a little bit of scratches on near the simcard and memory card area. Check the screenshots for the scratched area.

I was very very damn happy. I can still use my phone, sounds still the same, browsing still ok, have not tested gps, no cracked screen (gorilla glass you know?).

Bottom line is this is the toughest phone I ever owned, it survives a 90KM/H drops from a speeding car without any major problem. So, for those of you still in doubt whether to buy a passport or not, go and buy it, u won't get disappointed but don't do what I did. Silly me....

I owned a gemini, bold 9000, torch, Z10, Q10 and passport. Let's hope that my phone won't have any problem that arises after a week of use. Will keep you posted if it does though.

BlackBerry Passport fell off on the freeway with minor scratches-img_20141213_171521_edit.jpg
    BlackBerry Passport fell off on the freeway with minor scratches-img_20141213_171508_edit_edit.jpg
    BlackBerry Passport fell off on the freeway with minor scratches-img_20141213_171606_edit.jpg
    BlackBerry Passport fell off on the freeway with minor scratches-img_20141213_171618_edit.jpg
    BlackBerry Passport fell off on the freeway with minor scratches-img_20141213_171647_edit.jpg

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 04:34 AM
    That's tough! Good thing it survived the fall. As for you, you need to be careful next time.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    barryb20 likes this.
    12-13-14 04:38 AM
    Was the cover on? Or was the phone naked? Just making sure.

From my BlackBerry Passport
    12-13-14 04:42 AM
    Cover was on from the day I bought that passport

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 04:44 AM
    Must've helped a little none the less :P so happy that the Passport can be so strong. Don't feel so worried about mine anymore . Thanks for sharing.

From my BlackBerry Passport
    12-13-14 04:53 AM
    It's not just the glass, the actual design of the phone protects against screen smashing, if you look at the iPhone especially the latest ones, the screen is actually elevated so for instance if the phone drops face first the glass takes most of the impact, with the Z10 and now Passport (z30 wasn't designed like this that's why you'll find more smashed z30 screens than z10) the screen is protected more by a slightly raised bezel so when it falls the bezel takes the impact. Although on the Passport it is not as obvious (I think it's just slightly raised at the top then the keyboard is also slightly elevated)

Check Out TechCraze
    12-13-14 04:58 AM
    This just shows how well the device is built.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 05:17 AM
    It was 7.30AM W.I.B (GMT +7) in the morning and I was running late to go to work. So I was in a hurry. I was exiting my house then got called by my wife so I just put the passport on top of my car engine. This might be the dumbest thing that I did. Afterwards, since I was in a hurry, I rushed out from my house, not remembering about my phone on top of the car engine, I sped away.

Upon entering the freeway toll-gate, there was a bit of traffic jam. After I managed to break free from the traffic jam, I began to increase the speed of my car to about 90 KM/H when all of a sudden, I saw a rectangle shaped thing just bounced off my car to the freeway pavement. I took a look from the car mirror and just realized it was my beloved passport. My heart just stopped beating after I realized the fact that I put my passport on top of the car engine this morning and forgot to pick it up

The only thing that I thought of at this moment was "bye-bye, passport". I was sure that the passport had been crushed by those vehicles behind me. It was the freeway where there are no slow moving vehicles. Then, I pulled over on the side of the freeway, not even remembering that the law forbid me to do that unless emergency, with only one thing in my mind, I need to save my passport.

I exited my vehicle, ran back to where the passport fell off, waited a bit until the freeway was kind of clear for me to get across to pick up my passport, then ran back across again after I picked it up and walked towards my vehicle. I was checking to see if it still works during this time. I entered my vehicle, tried to place a few calls and browse to a few websites and at that moment, I realized my passport has survived with only a little bit of scratches on near the simcard and memory card area. Check the screenshots for the scratched area.

I was very very damn happy. I can still use my phone, sounds still the same, browsing still ok, have not tested gps, no cracked screen (gorilla glass you know?).

Bottom line is this is the toughest phone I ever owned, it survives a 90KM/H drops from a speeding car without any major problem. So, for those of you still in doubt whether to buy a passport or not, go and buy it, u won't get disappointed but don't do what I did. Silly me....

I owned a gemini, bold 9000, torch, Z10, Q10 and passport. Let's hope that my phone won't have any problem that arises after a week of use. Will keep you posted if it does though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141213_171521_edit.jpg 
Views:	2854 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	320465

Name:	IMG_20141213_171508_edit_edit.jpg 
Views:	2853 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	320466

Name:	IMG_20141213_171606_edit.jpg 
Views:	2858 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	320467

Name:	IMG_20141213_171618_edit.jpg 
Views:	2858 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	320468

Name:	IMG_20141213_171647_edit.jpg 
Views:	2860 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	320469

Posted via CB10
    Is the silver bezel where the scratches are black?

Posted via Q10Bold
    12-13-14 05:31 AM
    It'd be fun though if after picking up the phone that you slipped while rushing to the car and dropped the phone once more.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 05:46 AM
    It'd be fun though if after picking up the phone that you slipped while rushing to the car and dropped the phone once more.

Posted via CB10
    That would be truly heartbreaking.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    12-13-14 05:51 AM
    I think part of the credit should go to the cover. What kind Is it?

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 06:44 AM
    Good on you mate!
    That is one tough phone.
    Thank goodness (and above) that it survived.
    12-13-14 07:13 AM
    Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!
    12-13-14 08:09 AM
    Toughness personified

Posted two-handed via Passport
    12-13-14 08:15 AM
    I know many people care a lot about keeping their phones in mint conditions, I am actually one of them. However those "battel scars" add a personality of their own to your device. Who'd know what kind of story is behind this? It kind of is more interesting than having a mint condition over the years. Glad it still works and no damage to screen has happened. I keep fingers crossed there is no internal mid-term damage!

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 08:24 AM
    You also need better time management, so as to never be in a hurry, since they can be dangerous on the road,
    12-13-14 08:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    Could you point out where the fun part would be?
    garpt likes this.
    12-13-14 09:03 AM
    @Q10Bold: yes, the silver bezel where the scratches are located is black. Why, if I may ask?

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 09:10 AM
    Very fortunate that there wasn't worse damage. I cringe a thought of a phone bouncing down the freeway.
    12-13-14 09:12 AM
    @Q10Bold: yes, the silver bezel where the scratches are located is black. Why, if I may ask?

Posted via CB10
    Because they always make us think bezels are natively silver.
    12-13-14 09:13 AM
    As to pulling over on the freeway .... if your Passport in danger is not an emergency I don't know what is haha! What a great story. Glad it worked out and that neither you or your Berry were killed in the process.
    gallopiton likes this.
    12-13-14 10:26 AM
    My wife put here's 9930 on top of the car (soft top convertible) last summer when loading in other items and drove off to work. She called me on the landline from work 45 mins later and said she hand lost her Blackberry. I went on line to blackberry protect (on Z30) and was able to locate it about two miles from the house. I drove to the location and found it on the road, screen down. I picked it up and found the glass completely shattered. I called the phone and it rang and I could answer it and it worked fine.

I have all the phones insured so got a replacement, she has since got the Z10.

BlackBerry - Built Tough to Handle the Rough

Posted via CB10
    yvpan1 likes this.
    12-13-14 10:35 AM
    Tough device, love the story! Hopefully it will remind you everytime you go to put something on the hood (or roof) of your car. Don't do it! Sooner or later we all forget something and drive off becoming fodder for some spectator somewhere, lol!

Rockin a Passport and Z30! Two devices are better than 1!
    12-13-14 11:14 AM
    I've done this with my pearl 3g in a leather pocket and an my wife did the same with an OS4 Curve in a folio case. Both phones survived with no real damage. Actually, the pearl had some minor damage (scratches)to the exposed media buttons on the top. The curve was mint. No visible damage at all.

Both fell off the car at highway speed (90km/h). Used BlackBerry Protect to locate the Pearl.
    12-13-14 11:33 AM
    My passport stopped 2 bullets from a 50 caliber Desert Eagle.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 12:26 PM
55 123