You can't assume that every connection is necessarily nefarious in nature.

We live in a hyper-connected and distributed world where resources aren't always local.
    Of course not. When I have an app that is designed to present me news, then sure, it has a reason to be connected once in a while. Or an email app. Or apps which sync my data to the cloud.

When Youtube official app, which I have never used on this phone, and I never upload any videos, and is not currently supposed to be running, decides to wake up and connect, what would you surmise would be a reason for it to do this? It's not the only guilty app, of course. There are plenty of apps which are NOT network apps (e.g. Non-synced notes or to-do's) which do the same thing.

Not only that, analyze the list of apps that have known trackers. Plenty of them have Facebook tracker even though the app itself has nothing to do with FB.
    (If you don't believe me, look for the recent news regarding apps that sent telemetry to FB on startup, there was a bit of a kerfuffle over that being revealed)

Posted via CB10
    01-24-19 06:47 PM
    Of course not. When I have an app that is designed to present me news, then sure, it has a reason to be connected once in a while. Or an email app. Or apps which sync my data to the cloud.

When Youtube official app, which I have never used on this phone, and I never upload any videos, and is not currently supposed to be running, decides to wake up and connect, what would you surmise would be a reason for it to do this? It's not the only guilty app, of course. There are plenty of apps which are NOT network apps (e.g. Non-synced notes or to-do's) which do the same thing.

Not only that, analyze the list of apps that have known trackers. Plenty of them have Facebook tracker even though the app itself has nothing to do with FB.
    (If you don't believe me, look for the recent news regarding apps that sent telemetry to FB on startup, there was a bit of a kerfuffle over that being revealed)

Posted via CB10
    I agree with all of this. I'm just pointing out that, even with directed ads (which make many services possible in the first place) the intent isn't to serve you up to the highest bidder or to bring you down via extortion.

Companies have revenue models, and we are all participants if we choose to use their apps.
    01-24-19 07:00 PM
    I agree with all of this. I'm just pointing out that, even with directed ads (which make many services possible in the first place) the intent isn't to serve you up to the highest bidder or to bring you down via extortion.

Companies have revenue models, and we are all participants if we choose to use their apps.
    Yes, of course. I have no problems with ads or even data slurping in general. People have to pay their bills one way or another.

But what I do have a problem with is not being upfront about it. If you're not doing anything nefarious then just come out and say so. "We will collect this data from you.... and periodically send it back to our servers. We will then sell your data to other people in order to make money"

I shouldn't have to dig around and use 'special' tools to figure out what data you are sending to who.

It's not that hard. Most web sites have gone this route already with the "We use cookies..." warning.

Posted via CB10
    ppeters914 and elfabio80 like this.
    01-25-19 04:06 PM
    Yes, of course. I have no problems with ads or even data slurping in general. People have to pay their bills one way or another.

But what I do have a problem with is not being upfront about it. If you're not doing anything nefarious then just come out and say so. "We will collect this data from you.... and periodically send it back to our servers. We will then sell your data to other people in order to make money"

I shouldn't have to dig around and use 'special' tools to figure out what data you are sending to who.

It's not that hard. Most web sites have gone this route already with the "We use cookies..." warning.

Posted via CB10
    Thats fair, on occasion Ive saved a web page and the files included go a few directories deep. Thats crazy, probably slowing you down too.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-19 04:41 PM
    I really don't understand even forgive what Blackberry management board did.

For most persons, we only need several common applications. I promise you, less than 20 apps in your Android or Iphone if you count, I mean the applications that you use often. No matter there are millions applications in Google play or Appstore, most of them are rubbish or as same as rubbish because you don't really need them.

So the question is why BlackBerry can't focus on these most common applications. I don't believe that a company like BlackBerry can't handle well these applications if the CEO really cares about BlackBerry mobile device.

BB10 is a good operating system even though it is not perfect sometimes. But I love its simplicity and efficiency. Probably I will buy a key2 or key3 when my passport is striking. I will miss my Passport, Classic, Q10 and my happy memories.

Posted via my favorite BlackBerry Passport.
    You have to feel sorry for BB in terms of timing. The wheel has all but fully turned in terms of security (or lack thereof) and apps.
    Remember the app craze 5 or 6 years ago? Millionaires were made overnight by launching trendy apps that lasted a month if you're lucky. The only apps I use now are proprietary such as banking some airlines etc etc. They work fine with Cobalt's help.

Apparently app downloads continues to trend down from its eye watering highs.

Yes I too am hanging on to my Passport.....my 3rd......because I simply love the phone and BB10. It serves its purpose like all BlackBerrys before it...as one YouTuber put beautifully.....it gets sh* t done.
    Of course as mentioned by others the browser is now in trouble as is my battery. My "new" PP has obviously been sitting on a warehouse shelf for 3 years or so and the battery is not lasting the 2 days.

I also love the reaction from folk who think its a new phone! They love it.

Like so many others I dream of a BB resurrection. Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!

I suppose there's about as much chance of that as any other resurrection.............
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    02-13-19 01:37 AM
    Their biggest mistake was greenlighting it in the first place.

Enough with this failure of an OS and time to look at the future, as BB Android devices are the ONLY ones that are not just another piece of glass.
    BB10 wasn't a mistake. Failure of management was the mistake. No marketing, no advertising, no BIS. They left their user base behind.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    02-14-19 06:06 AM
    BB10 wasn't a mistake. Failure of management was the mistake. No marketing, no advertising, no BIS. They left their user base behind.

Posted via CB10
    Hindsight tells us BB10 was a mistake of epic proportions. The behavior of BB executives with the delayed introduction of BB10 tells us even they knew it was a mistake of epic proportions beforehand for a multitude of reasons. NO alternative for BIS monthly revenue was the biggest problem for BlackBerry at time. However, BlackBerry not having the economic resources of Apple, Google or Microsoft at no time in their evolutionary history meant that company was doomed from the beginning in mobile hardware. BlackBerry was always supposed to be just an enterprise partner. Their business model shows that’s how their infrastructure was built.
    ppeters914 and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    02-14-19 06:15 AM
    I am a BlackBerry Passport fan and I join you in all that regaling and whining.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-19 05:21 AM
    I'm a BB10 fan but in all honesty it was a mistake, looking back bb7 was better just not modern. As great as the passport is what was the purpose of that phone with that form factor
    02-15-19 08:47 AM
    You sound like me! I use my passport as my daily and carry my iPod to fulfill the apps angst! And I’m 😊
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    02-16-19 06:05 AM
    I'm a BB10 fan but in all honesty it was a mistake, looking back bb7 was better just not modern. As great as the passport is what was the purpose of that phone with that form factor
    If BB10 had the strengths of BB7 it would have done better.BB7 murdered BB10 when it came to services and ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    Yesterday 06:36 AM
111 ... 345