Yet, Android seems to have an app for every single task or thing to do... why aren't they backed up in the system (as part of the system not as a separated app)? I hate to download an app for everything. The apps I have on Android are 5 times more than the ones I have on my Passport to do the same thing almost. Is just ridiculous.

Posted via CB10 on a Passport
    01-19-20 03:50 PM
    Yet, Android seems to have an app for every single task or thing to do... why aren't they backed up in the system (as part of the system not as a separated app)? I hate to download an app for everything. The apps I have on Android are 5 times more than the ones I have on my Passport to do the same thing almost. Is just ridiculous.

I prefer the choice as opposed to being stuck with mediocre defaults.

My main reason for leaving BB10 was the anemic file manager - and that was before all of the cloud APIs were deprecated.
    01-19-20 03:53 PM

If not all the apps to choose from, how would the OS developer or the OEM know what apps I need installed? Doesn’t everyone here complain about preinstalled bloatware?
    01-19-20 06:02 PM
    It's not really about that.

Most people's app list is actually quite small, but each has their own unique requirements.

It's not a matter of getting ALL the apps, it's a matter of getting that select few that you NEED.
    It was a light joke...
    As for what matters the most, who knows? The model you have described is nice. But it assumes the rational behavior of users. Is rational choice theory applicable to the mobile devices market? I don't know.
    01-20-20 06:40 AM
    Then again, the majority of smartphone users has been led to believe that having access to every app available is the thing.

The truth is however that a vast majority offered on Android/iOS is bonkers. True, there's quite a bunch of very useful apps that can be found on those OS' , but at the same time they can be found on BB10, either as native apps, or otherwise. So, what's the big deal here?

BB Android devices seem, to all intents and purposes, to be going down south....

And yet, BB10 is still alive and well!!

There you are then! Yes, the Passport, in any version, is still a great daily driver in 2020.
    Whilst I agree with a lot you say here one of the big deals is the lack of Banking apps on BB10, and that isn't going to change now unfortunately.

Posted via CB10 using my Classic running 10.3.3.3216
    01-20-20 07:02 AM
    Whilst I agree with a lot you say here one of the big deals is the lack of Banking apps on BB10, and that isn't going to change now unfortunately.

Posted via CB10 using my Classic running 10.3.3.3216
    I can access my banking information via Fennec browser saved as a bookmark.
    Other then taking a snapshot of your cheque to deposit, everything else works nicely.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    01-20-20 07:11 AM
    I can access my banking information via Fennec browser saved as a bookmark.
    Other then taking a snapshot of your cheque to deposit, everything else works nicely.
    Just send the checks to me and I’ll deposit. Anyway that I can help out with BB10 staying your daily. Really I don’t mind
    The_Passporter likes this.
    01-20-20 12:01 PM
    I prefer the choice as opposed to being stuck with mediocre defaults.

My main reason for leaving BB10 was the anemic file manager - and that was before all of the cloud APIs were deprecated.
    Sometimes you just can can too much choice. At first I enjoyed browsing around in the app store or Playstore for that matter. I found it harder to stick to one application and actually learn how to use it to its fullest extent. There was always a new kid on the block to test.

So not having that much choice but solid apps for business use can be an advantage in my book.

Again. It's all personal. Whatever floats your boat.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-20 12:52 PM
    Sometimes you just can can too much choice. At first I enjoyed browsing around in the app store or Playstore for that matter. I found it harder to stick to one application and actually learn how to use it to its fullest extent. There was always a new kid on the block to test.

So not having that much choice but solid apps for business use can be an advantage in my book.

Again. It's all personal. Whatever floats your boat.

Posted via CB10
    So you don't like the choice model because of a self-discipline issue?

Alternatively, stick with well-reviewed apps by reputable developers and stick to them. We're only talking about a handful of apps really.
    01-20-20 12:57 PM
    So you don't like the choice model because of a self-discipline issue?

Alternatively, stick with well-reviewed apps by reputable developers and stick to them. We're only talking about a handful of apps really.
    The choice model. Is that the model where you can buy 100 different flavors of patato chips and still just get fat but now with added choice stress.

Maybe we all could do with a little less abundant choices and more quality.

Like you say yourself. It's only a handful of apps. So why have 1 million in the store?

Posted via CB10
    01-20-20 01:01 PM
    The choice model. Is that the model where you can buy 100 different flavors of patato chips and still just get fat but now with added choice stress.

Maybe we all could do with a little less abundant choices and more quality.

Like you say yourself. It's only a handful of apps. So why have 1 million in the store?

Posted via CB10
    Because everyone has a different handful.

I settled on Solid Explorer on day 3 of owning BlackBerry Android. There are a few other contenders but I stick with it - it does everything, is well-reviewed, is trusted, and is infinitely more powerful than the BB10 flle manager.
    01-20-20 01:08 PM
    I'm the one who prefers the "self-discipline" mentioned above and intentionally restricts the number of applications in usage (and not just on mobile phones).
    At the same time, I welcome an abundance and a variety and I consider 1 mln of apps in a store as advantage and as a prerequisite of future progress. I might be on a strict diet but I''m happy to have that large shopping mall in my neighborhood.
    01-20-20 02:46 PM
    It says Android runtime 5 or later....does that still work? Or do you have the runtime 4+ running on your PP ?
    01-20-20 08:02 PM
    It says Android runtime 5 or later....does that still work? Or do you have the runtime 4+ running on your PP ?
    BB10 uses an Android Runtime implementation of Android 4.3.
    01-20-20 08:15 PM
    Personal preferences, or needs aside, truth is that BBOS10, still remains the friendliest and really the best OS ever devised! To this day, I still fail to understand how incompetent a company, with a brand name to go, could be and mess everything up! It is not about funds really, it is about vision. Where I am today, and where I want to be tomorrow, and how I plan to be there.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    01-24-20 02:29 PM
    Personal preferences, or needs aside, truth is that BBOS10, still remains the friendliest and really the best OS ever devised! To this day, I still fail to understand how incompetent a company, with a brand name to go, could be and mess everything up! It is not about funds really, it is about vision. Where I am today, and where I want to be tomorrow, and how I plan to be there.
    It’s always the money. BlackBerry spent billions on development and the revenue from pre-BB10 was declining as people moved off the BBOS platform for Android/iOS mostly. Even those who chose BB10 weren’t helping BlackBerry since they weren’t paying BlackBerry monthly charges anymore.

Literally, BlackBerry had no cash flow replacing the old cash flow. It was all or nothing bet, that came up nothing with the Z10 failure.
    01-24-20 05:17 PM
    The time for vision was prior to 2007 as they needed a modern OS by 2009 to have had any hope at all against the other behemoths.

BlackBerry simply didn't think a smartphone would appeal to the mass consumer. But anything they did after 2007 doesn't matter a damn.
    01-24-20 05:22 PM
    The time for vision was prior to 2007 as they needed a modern OS by 2009 to have had any hope at all against the other behemoths.

BlackBerry simply didn't think a smartphone would appeal to the mass consumer. But anything they did after 2007 doesn't matter a damn.
    Funny I came here in 2007... and the big arguments were about BlackBerry needing a newer OS because Java limited BBOS too much on the app front.

I assumed a big company like BlackBerry had a Skunk Works and were already working on something new.... In 2007/2008 BlackBerry was still the BIG player. Apple wasn't a huge company yet, and MS had fiddled with Windows on PDA and now phones for years, and it was just not good.

Sad reality in 2010 when they announced buying QNX and that they would then start on a new OS.... was kinda shocking to me.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-28-20 11:59 AM
    Funny I came here in 2007... and the big arguments were about BlackBerry needing a newer OS because Java limited BBOS too much on the app front.

I assumed a big company like BlackBerry had a Skunk Works and were already working on something new.... In 2007/2008 BlackBerry was still the BIG player. Apple wasn't a huge company yet, and MS had fiddled with Windows on PDA and now phones for years, and it was just not good.

Sad reality in 2010 when they announced buying QNX and that they would then start on a new OS.... was kinda shocking to me.
    Everyone was caught off guard by the iphone. Not just BB. Doesn't excuse them but the streets are littered with once-great but now dead (or morphed) hardware players killed by the iphone:

Nokia
    Palm
    Hp
    Microsoft
    Motorola
    HTC

Sent from a Blackberry Passport
    06-04-20 10:19 PM
    Everyone was caught off guard by the iphone. Not just BB. Doesn't excuse them but the streets are littered with once-great but now dead (or morphed) hardware players killed by the iphone:

Nokia
    Palm
    Hp
    Microsoft
    Motorola
    HTC

Android was a year behind Apple, and not only caught up, but now dwarfs them 87% / 13%.

The key was responding immediately - not 6 years later like BB10 did.

BlackBerry was barely mid-lifecycle on BBOS in 2007, so it was the absolute worst time.

But honestly, without SAF revenues or the deep pockets of the major players, BlackBerry was doomed anyway.
    06-04-20 11:35 PM
    Android was a year behind Apple, and not only caught up, but now dwarfs them 87% / 13%.

BlackBerry was barely mid-lifecycle on BBOS in 2007, so it was the absolute worst time.

But honestly, without SAF revenues or the deep pockets of the major players, BlackBerry was doomed anyway.
    True, but I was talking about hardware manufacturers, not platforms. If we're just talking platforms, then Nokia/Symbian, Palm/HP/webos, Nokia/MS/WindowsPhone, RIM/BB10..

06-05-20 06:28 AM

This is kinda my point. It's not simply they reacted too late, it's that BB leadership didn't even see the shift in the market that the iphone brought. If they did, even worse, as it took years to have an answer.

06-05-20 06:36 AM
    This is kinda my point. It's not simply they reacted too late, it's that BB leadership didn't even see the shift in the market that the iphone brought. If they did, even worse, as it took years to have an answer.

It couldn’t respond if BlackBerry even wanted. It was smaller company that had it even been able to respond the day before iPhone release with BB10 still would have lost without having the SAF revenue like BBOS did. The end result would be the same.

Apple, Google and Microsoft had enormous capital reserves growing at faster rates with diversified revenue sources. Even Microsoft couldn’t maintain #3 position after putting Symbian to sleep with the help of Nokia itself.
    06-05-20 07:07 AM
    It couldn’t respond if BlackBerry even wanted. It was smaller company that had it even been able to respond the day before iPhone release with BB10 still would have lost without having the SAF revenue like BBOS did. The end result would be the same.

Apple, Google and Microsoft had enormous capital reserves growing at faster rates with diversified revenue sources. Even Microsoft couldn’t maintain #3 position after putting Symbian to sleep with the help of Nokia itself.
    Only Apple wasn't a giant back in 2006 or 2007.... they become one, because of their corporate view of everyone owning a "fun" smartphone. BlackBerry's just taught worker bees needed smartphones, and they didn't need to be fun.

2007 iPhone was.... almost useless, but each year it evolved and got better. And clearly the SLAB format was a better experience for what Apple saw consumers wanting.

BlackBerries were stuck... BBOS didn't allow for much more advancement, and the "company" just didn't see consumers as a potential customer. Their one (or two) attempt at a BBOS slab, STORM(s) were a huge fail - because the OS just couldn't work that way (SurePress?). Later they got touch down with the Torch, but by then Google and Apple were offering more than BlackBerry could with their dated OS.

By 2013.... yes everything was over, even Microsoft's billions couldn't help them.

But I don't really think that it was not a lack of resources that doomed BlackBerry... it was lack of leadership and understanding the potential of what a smartphone could be. Mike, Jim, BOD and most all in management were too out of touch with what was going on in tech in general - and too caught up in their own sucess story, to see it was coming to an end.
    06-05-20 10:48 AM
    Only Apple wasn't a giant back in 2006 or 2007.... they become one, because of their corporate view of everyone owning a "fun" smartphone. BlackBerry's just taught worker bees needed smartphones, and they didn't need to be fun.

2007 iPhone was.... almost useless, but each year it evolved and got better. And clearly the SLAB format was a better experience for what Apple saw consumers wanting.

BlackBerries were stuck... BBOS didn't allow for much more advancement, and the "company" just didn't see consumers as a potential customer. Their one (or two) attempt at a BBOS slab, STORM(s) were a huge fail - because the OS just couldn't work that way (SurePress?). Later they got touch down with the Torch, but by then Google and Apple were offering more than BlackBerry could with their dated OS.

By 2013.... yes everything was over, even Microsoft's billions couldn't help them.

But I don't really think that it was not a lack of resources that doomed BlackBerry... it was lack of leadership and understanding the potential of what a smartphone could be. Mike, Jim, BOD and most all in management were too out of touch with what was going on in tech in general - and too caught up in their own sucess story, to see it was coming to an end.
    Apple was 2x-3x the market cap and resources were even bigger multiplier regarding cash flow. Trendline follows that from around time of Google acquisition of Android to Storm introduction and first Android hardware introduction.

The reason BlackBerry slow walked any solutions was that BlackBerry could never afford to give up the SAF revenue. The carriers supported Android/iOS because all the data revenue belonged exclusively to carriers. BlackBerry pursued the SAF revenues from BBOS inception since it couldn’t afford not to.

BlackBerry founders knew the party would end and founders knew BlackBerry was a small player from the beginning. They were brilliant with there carrier negotiations in the beginning. Founders knew there was a limited shelf life to BIS and held on as long as possible. A $100 million-$1 Billion payout was acceptable even after the insider trading and options scandal
    06-05-20 12:09 PM
467 ... 16171819