I think what would stop most dedicated OS10 users from jumping to an Android Passport is their (and my) inherent distrust for all things Google.
    When you jump onto anything Google, you become the product. Sure, all of their products are free, but that's because they sell everything they've got from you to the highest (or any) bidders.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with your first paragraph. Many iPhone users would never go over to Google, though many might and have.
    I totally disagree with your second paragraph because it does not truthfully represent Googles business model.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-19-19 04:06 PM
    I gotta admit, I'm the biggest BlackBerry fan I know. I take "abuse" from people weekly for it. But even I left for a spell a few months ago to try the Samsung Note 9 as I was tired of making concessions for my Passport or carrying around two devices to make up for the app gap,...

But I'm back. Yes, back to the BlackBerry Passport as my primary daily driver. Why? Simple, I want to. For me, the pros still outweigh the cons. After having a top of the line Android smartphone as my primary device, I kept longing for a better typing and messaging experience, and luckily I knew where to find it because I loved my Passport for 3 years prior to leaving, and of course never got rid of it just in case I needed to come back.

But how does one use a BlackBerry Passport as a primary daily driver in 2019 in this world driven by apps and media consumption? Simple, you do without or you supplement for what you're lacking. So I am doing a little both. Sometimes when I need apps and insurance of working websites and a great camera, I carry both devices. Sometimes when I only need the basics, I carry only my beloved Passport. Annoying? Perhaps to some, but I found it more annoying without my Passport. Annoying is relative.

"BUT, there's no future with the Passport!!!" Maybe, but there's still a present, and that's where I live. Yes, to each its own...

If you still use the Passport primarily, I'm curious how and why?

Cheers

P.S. I'm still holding out hope that somehow, someday a new Passport surfaces that allows us to be "future-proof". I know, fat chance...

Posted via CB10
    I am using key2 and passport. Love them both. I mostly use passport as a vacation from all the apps and android. The ui and os are pretty pleasant. Imma use it until it dies. But key 2 is love too.
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    11-21-19 10:42 AM
    I agree with your first paragraph. Many iPhone users would never go over to Google, though many might and have.
    I totally disagree with your second paragraph because it does not truthfully represent Googles business model.
    Yeah some don't really get what Google does with the data they collect... nor how much you can opt out of. But I hear Tin Foil is comfortable...
    11-21-19 02:45 PM
    Yeah some don't really get what Google does with the data they collect... nor how much you can opt out of. But I hear Tin Foil is comfortable...
    Much more comfortable than sheet metal.
    11-21-19 05:01 PM
    Still using my passport because I am stubborn and so is my passport. New red Key2 has been sitting around charged and waiting for my passport data to be moved over. I'm reluctant to move my data over, the passport has survived being embedded in dry wall, I worry the Key2 may not be as good at surviving such things.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-19 11:44 PM
    Still using my passport because I am stubborn and so is my passport. New red Key2 has been sitting around charged and waiting for my passport data to be moved over. I'm reluctant to move my data over, the passport has survived being embedded in dry wall, I worry the Key2 may not be as good at surviving such things.

Posted via CB10
    The KEY2 may not be as tough as the Passport but it's not a piece of paper either lol.

But especially a Red KEY2 it would be a shame to abuse it lol
    Suzeranne likes this.
    11-25-19 09:24 PM
    I purchased the SE about a year ago after my first AT&T model died and I'm still using it. Best phone ever created for communicating and reading or watching videos online. I had an Android for the interim between my AT&T and the SE; no comparison. And don't get me started on Apple...I try to use my wife's iphone occasions and just have to put it down in frustration. I can say I'm so fortunate to have had the opportunity to use and experience this wonderful communication device. I don't use apps so yes that puts me in an odd camp, but I don't think I will ever have a phone as good as my Passport in my lifetime. Thank you John Chen for pushing the development, but at the same time, very disappointing that you did not push the marketing on this unparalleled communication and productivity slice of technology heaven. I posted this in another thread last year when I first started using my SE. Hats off to all of you still using your Passports...we saw the best there was for all of us that just wanted a solid, fluid, powerful communication tool.
    ratfinkstooley and truth4u like this.
    11-30-19 11:47 PM
    I purchased the SE about a year ago after my first AT&T model died and I'm still using it. Best phone ever created for communicating and reading or watching videos online. I had an Android for the interim between my AT&T and the SE; no comparison. And don't get me started on Apple...I try to use my wife's iphone occasions and just have to put it down in frustration. I can say I'm so fortunate to have had the opportunity to use and experience this wonderful communication device. I don't use apps so yes that puts me in an odd camp, but I don't think I will ever have a phone as good as my Passport in my lifetime. Thank you John Chen for pushing the development, but at the same time, very disappointing that you did not push the marketing on this unparalleled communication and productivity slice of technology heaven. I posted this in another thread last year when I first started using my SE. Hats off to all of you still using your Passports...we saw the best there was for all of us that just wanted a solid, fluid, powerful communication tool.
    Microsoft’s billions proved it’s not marketing that killed anything but Android/iOS but simply 99% of the planet wants complete ecosystem. Developers refuse to serve more than a duopoly.

That being said, BlackBerry has never had the economic resources to continue in the mobile space anyway since 2012 or so. It’s only ability to be in the mobile space was BBOS with the monthly fees. So anything past BBOS wasn’t ever a realistic option.
    12-01-19 10:50 AM
    Microsoft’s billions proved it’s not marketing that killed anything but Android/iOS but simply 99% of the planet wants complete ecosystem. Developers refuse to serve more than a duopoly.

That being said, BlackBerry has never had the economic resources to continue in the mobile space anyway since 2012 or so. It’s only ability to be in the mobile space was BBOS with the monthly fees. So anything past BBOS wasn’t ever a realistic option.
    BlackBerry did the marketing that would be expected of a company their size back in 2013.... I don't know why folks here don't remember it.

Once BB10 flopped, yes they stopped marketing... they could have spent billions like Microsoft without changing the fact that developers were never going to bother with a platform with no real numbers behind it. Time for building a platform was 2007, not 2013.
    12-03-19 07:39 AM
    BlackBerry did the marketing that would be expected of a company their size back in 2013.... I don't know why folks here don't remember it.

Once BB10 flopped, yes they stopped marketing... they could have spent billions like Microsoft without changing the fact that developers were never going to bother with a platform with no real numbers behind it. Time for building a platform was 2007, not 2013.
    Right it was a short window but after first 2-3 months of z10 sales/returns data the writing was on the wall. The Q10 was a slim chance to turn around but that obviously was no better. So after the horrible wasted millions on the Super Bowl ad opportunity and 2-3 months of commercials that I saw it was essentially already over. Like I said, very small time frame in which spending money on the marketing made good sense
    12-03-19 07:46 AM
    Right it was a short window but after first 2-3 months of z10 sales/returns data the writing was on the wall. The Q10 was a slim chance to turn around but that obviously was no better. So after the horrible wasted millions on the Super Bowl ad opportunity and 2-3 months of commercials that I saw it was essentially already over. Like I said, very small time frame in which spending money on the marketing made good sense
    That writing on the wall was in bold and underlined. No amount of money would have saved BB10.

This is coming from a guy who loves and actually prefers BB10 to other OS's.

Posted via my Awesome Passport SE SQW100-4/10.3.3.2163 pin:2C33423A
    The_Passporter likes this.
    12-13-19 08:45 AM
    you've said it. i went from bb bolds, torches, curves, then to android, iphone, and soon as i caught wind about the priv and key series, i grabbed a k1. phenomal android device. thats just it... its an android. how secure are we from google even with blackberry on our side?? still i've used the k1 for a year or so before recently grabbing in excellent condition unlocked at&t passport using mint mobile 8gb plan. used it mainly for music at work, while still using the k1 as my daily driver. recently i've started used the passport more frequently. now its my daily driver as of today.why?

-larger screen and buttons for quicker on the go messaging
    -EXCELLENT call quality
    -wireless charging
    -wifi calling and messaging
    -blackberry native apps
    -old school gaming
    -swipe gestures
    -faster typing speeds
    -did i mention its large buttons and screen?
    12-15-19 12:59 PM
    I am still using and PREFERING my BlackBerry Passport - for emails and texting.

I use an iPhone X Max for APPS - primarily Banking Apts and visual conference calls.

I still dislike the iPhone.
    That is, I dislike it's overall setup.

Still carry a fantasy that BlackBerry will again give support to its phones - be that OS10 or Android.

Absent an assurance of long term support for the KEY2 etc. I won't be buying it (sold the Red Key2 I bought a few months ago - untouched).

Posted via CB10
    12-17-19 04:48 PM
    My hands were itching to get a BlackBerry Key 2 Le on Black Friday, but I successfully resisted. I do enjoy using BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition plus BlackBerry Classic (new one I got last year) as my daily drivers. I do use only few android apps such as telegram, whatsapp, spotify (amazon app store), fbreader (from BBW store). I have connected all my email accounts and at work I use BlackBerry Blend to read and respond to emails.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    12-18-19 09:01 AM
    .. snip ..
    BlackBerry 10 and the Passport have very limited functionality and that is happening at a quicker and quicker rate. The browser is going and almost gone, certain email providers such as Yahoo are either not working or require serious workarounds.
    .. snip ..
    Posted via CB10

You could install the latest version of Firefox, but the app ecosystem is dead anyway. Browser to the rescue.
    12-28-19 03:04 AM
    I use firefox Fennec from fdroid, basically Passport is browser based, I never used apps on passport so it's all the same to me, accessing social media and everything else through the browser. Fennec is still updated.
    https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org....fennec_fdroid/
    12-28-19 09:34 AM
    12-28-19 09:36 AM
    I just switched carriers to keep using my passport (or i should say, go back to using it)! I was on Tmobile and some months ago the reception at my house went from varying "medium to low" to "low to none". I work from home several days a week, and have to be able to get voice calls. Tried a used xperia xa2, but it was defective, so then bought a new key2 le. I did not like the android experience. things seem disjointed. I can't configure my LED notifications easily (blue for text, green for email, red for voicemail, etc. etc.). The hub text/sms messages get out of sync. I don't like the andriod texting app. My hands are large so the PP PKB is much easier for me to use.

my passport is for communication and work. It is the best experience for ssh / remote desktop i have had. I can be anywhere and remote desktop to a machine at work and fix a problem for someone. The ability is there on other devices, but usability is not as good.
    12-30-19 09:38 PM
    I find dual carrying a Passport with an iPod touch solves most things. Try as we might certain websites and certain actions don't work satisfactorily on BB10. Tether your internet and go at it with the ipod touch and all is well.

The Apple device is incredibly svelte and quite powerful. Overall this was able to solve most if not all of my usability schemes.

Pass(ion)Port!
    01-08-20 09:24 AM
    Maybe update the year in the thread title? Because we are now in 2020, yes early days yet, but still....and the Passport is still an awesome device to have and use!
    01-08-20 10:31 AM
    Switched back to my Passport a couple of weeks ago. I just don't like to type on glass. Back in the days before iPhone and Android phones I had several BlackBerry devices. Bold 9780 - Bold 9900 and Passport were the latest. Then I switched to iPhone because I use Apple computers. Even after all these years using a slab, I still prefer physical keyboards. Bought a KEYONE and a KEY2. Still came back to the Passport.

The limitation of not being able to run every app is actually helping to go 'bare essential' which is a breath of fresh air.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-20 02:07 AM
    The limitation of not being able to run every app is actually helping to go 'bare essential' which is a breath of fresh air.
    Impressively honest comment, probably I won't see many like this one!
    dmlis and ratfinkstooley like this.
    01-19-20 02:41 AM
    Then again, the majority of smartphone users has been led to believe that having access to every app available is the thing.

The truth is however that a vast majority offered on Android/iOS is bonkers. True, there's quite a bunch of very useful apps that can be found on those OS' , but at the same time they can be found on BB10, either as native apps, or otherwise. So, what's the big deal here?

BB Android devices seem, to all intents and purposes, to be going down south....

And yet, BB10 is still alive and well!!

There you are then! Yes, the Passport, in any version, is still a great daily driver in 2020.
    01-19-20 12:38 PM
    Switched back to my Passport a couple of weeks ago. I just don't like to type on glass. Back in the days before iPhone and Android phones I had several BlackBerry devices. Bold 9780 - Bold 9900 and Passport were the latest. Then I switched to iPhone because I use Apple computers. Even after all these years using a slab, I still prefer physical keyboards. Bought a KEYONE and a KEY2. Still came back to the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    No, no, no... As everybody knows, you should have at least 124 apps on your smartphone. Exactly 77 of them are essential for day to day business. And if you have less than 50 apps, you are not going to survive...
    01-19-20 02:45 PM
    No, no, no... As everybody knows, you should have at least 124 apps on your smartphone. Exactly 77 of them are essential for day to day business. And if you have less than 50 apps, you are not going to survive...
    It's not really about that.

Most people's app list is actually quite small, but each has their own unique requirements.

It's not a matter of getting ALL the apps, it's a matter of getting that select few that you NEED.
    ioan_calin likes this.
    01-19-20 02:59 PM
467 ... 1516171819