I have to agree that when I used Android you are constantly battered by update messages that BB10 never had even when apps were actively being updated.

Maybe it's just perception but if an app needs updating I don't need to be told unless I open said app or I actively look for the update, it's just incredibly distracting and very annoying.

Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10 using my Classic running 10.3.3.3216
    THIS^^^ Unless there's a problem, I don't need notifications of this type! Ever!

Posted via my Passport
    m3ach likes this.
    09-28-19 10:27 AM
    I’m pretty sure notification can be turned off. Since Cylance has some great information regarding the steep incline of exploits, I suspect we’ve seen a steep incline of updates as well. I’ve used Android/iOS for several years and it seems that way. BB10 was a reactive alert system but I suspect if still actively developed, it would have evolved into similar proactive alert system.
    If BB10 had been developed to this it too would have got on my proverbial whatsits!

If these notifications can be turned off all well and good, I am by no means an expert on Android.

09-28-19 10:31 AM
    The notifications go both ways. Some people just want the updates installed in the background. They trust the update is needed and done need to read the update info. Others dont want anything upgraded without reading the update notes and then decided if they want to upgrade the app. If they dont like the info, they might stay on a lesser version or even uninstall it.

You cant win either way but yes you can choose to just install the updates and either notify or not notify you.
    Last edited by howarmat; 09-28-19 at 11:52 AM.
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-28-19 10:34 AM
    The notifications go both ways. Some people just want the updates installed in the background. They trust the update is needed and done need to read the update info. Others dont want anything upgraded without reading reading the updates notes and then decided if they want to upgrade the app. If they dont like the info, they might stay on a lesser version or even uninstall it.

You cant win either way but yes you can choose to just install the updates and either notify or not notify you.
    Easy as Pie.
    09-28-19 11:52 AM
    I continue to satisfactionally use my Passport SE - as my main driver.
    And I am a "Dual Carrier" - w/ the iPhone Max - for FB, Twitter and all Apps - primarily & originally to be able to access my bank and financial accounts.
    But I do NOT really like the iPhone - especially the touch screen and the phone's overall protocol m.o.

I did buy the new Red Key2 a couple of months ago, concerned that the Passport would soon cease to function.
    However, then came the plethora of concerns about the ongoing support of the KEY2; the sudden end of availability of KEY2's; the absence of KEY2 program updates....etc. etc.

So I sold my RED Key2 - in its unopened box.
    The big surprise was that there were 6 bidders who bid up the price to more than double my original full purchase price...!

Why? What did they know that I did not?
    I don't know.

Would I like to have a BlackBerry that offers a full circle of functions and continued long-term support?
    Absolutely.

For the moment, i'll happy-trail with my Dual Carry.

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    09-28-19 12:19 PM
    I'm laughing here because as everyone knows I've retired my KEYones and I'm carrying XR with dual eSIM feature.

In full disclosure, technically I'm dual carrying as I have one KEYone in my pocket with the XR as I try and make sure I've transferred everything from Android to iOS electronic scrap notes as such.

I got so frustrated about something at one point, I actually tethered my KEYone to XR hotspot just for the hub..... go ahead everybody LOL and when done LOL again
    09-28-19 07:13 PM
    I'm laughing here because as everyone knows I've retired my KEYones and I'm carrying XR with dual eSIM feature.

In full disclosure, technically I'm dual carrying as I have one KEYone in my pocket with the XR as I try and make sure I've transferred everything from Android to iOS electronic scrap notes as such.

I got so frustrated about something at one point, I actually tethered my KEYone to XR hotspot just for the hub..... go ahead everybody LOL and when done LOL again
    Factory reset saves needing to buy a new device every single time. Saves you thousands (over a period of two years on a term) each time.

From my BlackBerry Q5 on Freedom Mobile 3G HSPA+
    09-28-19 08:09 PM
    Some people work extremely hard trying to convince others their refusal to accept change isn’t somehow completely ridiculous.
    I think he was just expressing his preference. Not like he was saying other people are wrong & he's right. Just saying "This is me. This is what I like." Whether that makes him "unable to accept change" or not is kind of beside the point, right? De gustibus non est disputandum. There's no arguing tastes. A chacun son gout. Et vive la difference!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-28-19 10:06 PM
    Not sure if it has been mentioned but StereoTube has always been one of my favourite apps. Download it if you can and give it a go. Dig in a little deeper in the help section and discover how much more brilliant it can be.
    09-28-19 10:48 PM
    Factory reset saves needing to buy a new device every single time. Saves you thousands (over a period of two years on a term) each time.

From my BlackBerry Q5 on Freedom Mobile 3G HSPA+
    I bought all the BlackBerry hardware as true junkies do since I never really knew when I’d lose that ability for another fix. On the iOS side, I actually ride the hardware out 3-5 years. I went from iPhone 5 to XR but habe iPads also. My next Android will be some used Key2 or later if one comes along since AT&T has nothing after my AT&T KEYone and my BE KEYone doesn’t like T-Mobile coverage in my area.
    09-29-19 06:57 AM
    I have to agree that when I used Android you are constantly battered by update messages that BB10 never had even when apps were actively being updated.

Maybe it's just perception but if an app needs updating I don't need to be told unless I open said app or I actively look for the update, it's just incredibly distracting and very annoying.

Just my opinion.

The big difference is that notifications in BB10 are contained in a discreet channel in the Hub that you can inspect when it's convenient, while notification on Android are rude, in-your-face barrages at the top of the screen. Sure, you can turn them off on Android, but then you'll never see them.

BlackBerry got it right. Notifications should be logged and available for inspection at the user's convenience but should never interrupt work flow and become annoying.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-29-19 10:43 AM
    Must say nice while sitting in a meeting you can just eye the screen and see a message that's come in without digging into the phone. I added the BlackBerry Hub into my android phone it works well but not as good as a BlackBerry Passport. The 1:1 screen is way better on photos too on a daily basis much better to take photos at 1:1 your subject is more highlighted. Another trick is scrolling with the keyboard I use it all the time nice to widen into a photo with out having you fingers over the screen to better see a photo taken with the normal android ratios. I always get a comment on how do that from someone looking on. Not a gimmick at all that keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-19 12:17 PM
    Couldn't agree more!

Posted via my Passport
    09-29-19 01:45 PM
    The big difference is that notifications in BB10 are contained in a discreet channel in the Hub that you can inspect when it's convenient, while notification on Android are rude, in-your-face barrages at the top of the screen. Sure, you can turn them off on Android, but then you'll never see them.

BlackBerry got it right. Notifications should be logged and available for inspection at the user's convenience but should never interrupt work flow and become annoying.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    iOS appears to be more similar to BB10 in how it’s handled. I’d bet that iMore forums have complaints about how all the app updates pile up since discreet notifications aren’t strong enough...

Everyone chooses the platform best for them I guess so in the end here we are...
    09-29-19 01:59 PM
    iOS appears to be more similar to BB10 in how it’s handled. I’d bet that iMore forums have complaints about how all the app updates pile up since discreet notifications aren’t strong enough...

Everyone chooses the platform best for them I guess so in the end here we are...
    I've been playing around with the iphone 11 Pro Max and I can tell you it is impressive with gestures and as close as we will get to a modern BB10 experience! Apple has come along way in appropriating Blackberry nuances! Good for them as Android doesn't seem to give a crap!

Posted via my Passport
    09-29-19 04:54 PM
    I've been playing around with the iphone 11 Pro Max and I can tell you it is impressive with gestures and as close as we will get to a modern BB10 experience! Apple has come along way in appropriating Blackberry nuances! Good for them as Android doesn't seem to give a crap!

Posted via my Passport
    You don’t mess around. Straight to 11 Pro Max is well, quite the upgrade...
    09-29-19 05:03 PM
    Go BIG or go HOME! I'm not finished enjoying working wide!

Posted via my Passport
    09-29-19 05:07 PM
    Go BIG or go HOME! I'm not finished enjoying working wide!

Posted via my Passport
    LMAO - I feel so inadequate on my little outdated mid-tier XR now...
    09-29-19 05:18 PM
    The XR actually has a very good size also!

Posted via my Passport
    elfabio80 likes this.
    09-29-19 05:37 PM

Posted via my Passport
    I might be ready to switch but the Passport is too nice to give up. I tmakes a statement similar to an analog watch.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    09-29-19 07:10 PM
    The XR actually has a very good size also!

Posted via my Passport
    Too late. The damage to our CB friendship has been possibly damaged. It can be most certainly salvaged however by arranging the pickup of 11 Pro Max at the Apple store. But wait there’s more. For two devices, we could FaceTime with another forum member of CB like @TrumpetTiger .... LOL I suppose we’ll all survive
    09-29-19 07:33 PM
    I might be ready to switch but the Passport is too nice to give up. I tmakes a statement similar to an analog watch.
    Couldn't agree more!

Posted via my Passport
    09-29-19 07:36 PM
    I'm with you on that! All my watches are Automatic!

Posted via my Passport
    The_Passporter likes this.
    09-29-19 07:37 PM
    I'm with you on that! All my watches are Automatic!

Posted via my Passport
    Probably say Rolex too ;-D
    09-29-19 07:40 PM
    Not a Rolex in sight, I'm an Omega man!

Posted via my Passport
    09-29-19 07:41 PM
467 ... 1314151617 ...