If Blackberry thinks BB10 will be done, maybe it is better to open source of BB10 platform. Then a community from developer fans will maintain it as myself. I'd like to do this wonderful thing to contribute my energy.

Posted via my favorite BlackBerry Passport.
    There's a Sticky on why this will not happen.

In the meantime, enjoy BB10 while you can.
    01-14-19 05:24 PM
    I miss the Passport! My Key2 is good but it's just not the same. The main thing I miss about the Passport is that it's the perfect width to use with two hands.

I also miss being able to reach the top of the screen with my thumbs and the elegant usability of the BB10 operating system (with full Hub integration).
    elfabio80, Tim-ANC, falbo and 3 others like this.
    01-14-19 08:39 PM
    As detailed countless times before, this won't happen. QNX secrets, hardware root of trust, signing keys, etc.
    I really don't understand even forgive what Blackberry management board did.

For most persons, we only need several common applications. I promise you, less than 20 apps in your Android or Iphone if you count, I mean the applications that you use often. No matter there are millions applications in Google play or Appstore, most of them are rubbish or as same as rubbish because you don't really need them.

So the question is why BlackBerry can't focus on these most common applications. I don't believe that a company like BlackBerry can't handle well these applications if the CEO really cares about BlackBerry mobile device.

BB10 is a good operating system even though it is not perfect sometimes. But I love its simplicity and efficiency. Probably I will buy a key2 or key3 when my passport is striking. I will miss my Passport, Classic, Q10 and my happy memories.

01-14-19 10:19 PM
    I really don't understand even forgive what Blackberry management board did.

For most persons, we only need limited several common used applications. I promise you, less than 20 apps in your Android or Iphone if you count. I mean the applications that you use frequently. No matter there are millions applications in Google play or Appstore, most of them are rubbish or as same as rubbish because you don't really need them.

So the question is: why BlackBerry can't focus on these common most used applications. I don't believe that a company like BlackBerry can't handle well these applications if the CEO really cares about BlackBerry mobile device.

BB10 is a good operating system even though it is perfect sometimes. But I love its simplicity and efficiency. Probably I will buy a key2 or key3 when my passport is striking. I will miss my Passport and Classic and my happy memories.

It's up to app developers to make their apps available for BB10 - social media apps, banking apps, MS Office, etc, do not belong to BlackBerry, and the APIs aren't public.

In any case, BB10 was cancelled in late 2013, and the software went into support mode in 2014. Let it go.

Incidentally, I have over 150 apps on my phone, and I use all of them. Only 3 of those are games.
    TheGraduate likes this.
    01-14-19 10:26 PM
    It's up to app developers to make their apps available for BB10 - social media apps, banking apps, MS Office, etc, do not belong to BlackBerry, and the APIs aren't public.

In any case, BB10 was cancelled in late 2013, and the software went into support mode in 2014. Let it go.
    BlackBerry needs to cooperate with those companies who are developing the common applications. Such as Whatsapp, Facebook, LinkedIn, WeChat, Twitter... Actually, these applications are maintained by those companies.

Yes, other applications are developed by developers. But that should not be a key reason for lacking BB10 applications if I understand correctly.

01-14-19 10:39 PM
    The Passport is still my daily driver. All I do is send text messages and read e-mails, in addition to saving notes in the Remember app and Evernote. I find that I type faster and more accurately with this keyboard. I use my iPad only for games and apps.

I just wish the Passport had a bigger screen and battery, because after 3 years of use it seems small. Also, the default browser on the Passport seems to be obsolete because it freezes on some websites, especially ESPN.com. It's no biggie though. I have my own work-arounds.

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    01-14-19 10:51 PM
    BlackBerry needs to cooperate with those companies who are developing the common applications. Such as Whatsapp, Facebook, LinkedIn, WeChat, Twitter... Actually, these applications are maintained by those companies.

Yes, other applications are developed by developers. But that should not be a key reason for lacking BB10 applications if I understand correctly.

BlackBerry did all that. They offered money, developers, etc. The other companies were simply not interested in supporting another platform.

Microsoft did the same thing, and had much deeper pockets. Same result.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    01-15-19 07:10 AM
    BlackBerry did all that. They offered money, developers, etc. The other companies were simply not interested in supporting another platform.

Best indicator of how entrenched the duopoly in the smart phone OS arena is. If MS failed at breaking it, BB has zero chance.

I own a Win10 device. Funny thing is the MS apps on my android K1 work better.
    01-15-19 08:34 AM

I don't think the situations of MS and BlackBerry's are same. I really doubt that there are so much fans of Windows phone as ours.

Czarnajagoda likes this.
    01-15-19 10:36 AM
    Best indicator of how entrenched the duopoly in the smart phone OS arena is. If MS failed at breaking it, BB has zero chance.

I own a Win10 device. Funny thing is the MS apps on my android K1 work better.
    On win10 device, are the most common applications usable?

Czarnajagoda likes this.
    01-15-19 10:38 AM
    I don't think the situations of MS and BlackBerry's are same. I really doubt that there are so much fans of Windows phone as ours.

They had a much larger market share than BB10.
    01-15-19 10:45 AM
    They had a much larger market share than BB10.
    Yes, you are totally right conite. The market of MS phone is bigger than BB10s'. However, that doesn't mean win10 phone is better than BB10 device. It depends on different users. Win10 doesn't have keyboard and Touchpad sensor... If we can use perfectly the common applications on BB10, that should be another result.

01-15-19 11:01 AM

Windows Phone was 3rd place behind Android and iOS around 2013.
    https://www.cnet.com/news/windows-ph...-through-2019/
    01-15-19 12:02 PM
    I still use my BlackBerry Passport SE after four years. Like most of us, I also started to carry a second phone for the apps. However still, my main mailing and text/call, whatsapp, skype, youtube, docs and even bbm is on my SE. I think I will continue to use it until EOL. Speaking about additional device, I dropped my android phone and replaced with an android tablet as I needed a device like a laptop. The tablet doesn't have keyboard. So, I started to use my SE's keywords by connecting via Bluetooth and using Blue TouchPad app (commands the media and mouse) from the app store which works perfectly well. Therefore now, i carry my SE as my daily phone and my android tablet as I need it most of the time due to my work. The android apps of the tablet and my SE have become a good pair just like in the old days I was with my Laptop and my old blackberry 9700 for messages and Internet tethering via cord. I am happy with this combination.

Last word for android phones; as I have tried BlackBerry keyone and a few other Android phones: they just suck!

I hope, one they, a hero or a good crazy would appear and invest on BlackBerry 10. I think this is not a crazy idea considering the realm of Google and lack of Internet security. We don't need most of the android apps. Bb10 might only need a very good browser which would respond well to the most of the mobile Web versions of such apps.

Long live bb10..... until EOL....

Posted via CB10
    This might not be exactly what you're talking about, but I wish I could effectively move to a Two Device Model--which Ideally would be a Wearable that has what I consider to be "core" functions that can be accessed at a moment's notice, and a Small Tablet (roughly i-pad Mini sized or a bit smaller) that can be used for Multi-media, any apps or games I choose to use, or simply to have a bigger screen.
    01-15-19 12:33 PM
    Yes, you are totally right conite. The market of MS phone is bigger than BB10s'. However, that doesn't mean win10 phone is better than BB10 device. It depends on different users. Win10 doesn't have keyboard and Touchpad sensor... If we can use perfectly the common applications on BB10, that should be another result.

You weren't talking about preference, you were talking about number of fans.
    Last edited by conite; 01-15-19 at 01:11 PM.
    01-15-19 12:59 PM
    I have a Windows 10 Phone, with all the latest updates.
    It is a well thought out system. The browser is better for sure. It is actually quite pleasant to use, I think better than Android and maybe iOS. Still like BB10 better.
    Here are the downsides from my point of view
    - Buggy, even PlayBook was never this bad (frankly I thought PlayBook was solid, if a little incomplete at the beginning) . App crashes and other glitches are fairly regular. Just one example, the nice built in Map app has decided not to work when searching offling and voice guidance disappeared unexpectedly
    - The app store is empty, even by BlackBerry standards
    - Many apps, especially the Microsoft ones have an expectation that you are online so they always sync, no option and some don't even work without a data link.

That being said, it's usable and I've set it up to do what I need to in case BB10 really goes belly up.
    I've got all the main apps I need, usable, just not as good as the BB10 ones.

But in case you're wondering, no they basically have no social media apps at all. No Whatsapp for example.

Posted via CB10
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    01-15-19 01:22 PM
    Yes, but why would they. The incentive that Apple or Google could offer the developers not to support a 3rd platform would be mere rounding error compared to what BlackBerry would need to pay them. Don't think this underhanded stuff doesn't happen. I could give you example of major web sites that specifically detects a BB10 browser and acts to break it. (Set your desktop browser user agent string to match the BlackBerry browser and watch which sites break)

Besides, did you notice BlackBerry let's you have a lot of control over device permissions? They built their reputation on security and privacy. How do you think those companies you mentioned make their money? It would not play well with BlackBerry, it would be difficult to monetize the BlackBerry users.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-19 01:33 PM
    As detailed countless times before, this won't happen. QNX secrets, hardware root of trust, signing keys, etc.
    Likely won't happen, but it doesn't have to be that way exactly. No one is saying to open up the secret sauce...but leave the bb10 platform itself available for use (but not as open source licensce free per say)....Ie an app store, the development tools, documentation, the ability to use keys etc....maybe open up some of the bb10 features....or maybe not....why not? It would be a curiosity to some. It's kind of a pr exercise for the technical set who become tomorrow's purchasers of Enterprise management and security tools as well ....so kind of a quiet low-level marketing tool as well, that shouldn't cost too much to preserve.....that's the why of it. Hardware availability might be a snag....but then again in the future with 5g and beyond will OS as a service become viable -given blanket coverage, and bb10 might be a user installable option? (ie it won't actually live on the device?) but might be hosted by Red Hat/IBM or AWS,). Gaming seems to be trying to go that way currently with 5g performance almost equal to desktop currently.
    Czarnajagoda likes this.
    01-15-19 01:53 PM
    Likely won't happen, but it doesn't have to be that way exactly. No one is saying to open up the secret sauce...but leave the bb10 platform itself available for use (but not as open source licensce free per say)....Ie an app store, the development tools, documentation, the ability to use keys etc....maybe open up some of the bb10 features....or maybe not....why not? It would be a curiosity to some. It's kind of a pr exercise for the technical set who become tomorrow's purchasers of Enterprise management and security tools as well ....so kind of a quiet low-level marketing tool as well, that shouldn't cost too much to preserve.....that's the why of it. Hardware availability might be a snag....but then again in the future with 5g and beyond will OS as a service become viable -given blanket coverage, and bb10 might be a user installable option? (ie it won't actually live on the device?) but might be hosted by Red Hat/IBM or AWS,). Gaming seems to be trying to go that way currently with 5g performance almost equal to desktop currently.
    What is the revenue model for Blackberry?
    01-15-19 02:54 PM
    This might not be exactly what you're talking about, but I wish I could effectively move to a Two Device Model--which Ideally would be a Wearable that has what I consider to be "core" functions that can be accessed at a moment's notice, and a Small Tablet (roughly i-pad Mini sized or a bit smaller) that can be used for Multi-media, any apps or games I choose to use, or simply to have a bigger screen.
    Well, in my 'perfect world' of smartphones ; I wish, I was able to have a handset (preferably a passport se) which would run more than one OS depending on my preferences and desire. In such 'my dream world' , I would have BB10 and what the heck ever comes around it. OK, android , peh.
    As most of us agree that, BB10 is still better platform than others although it was ditched in 2013.
    It is utterly shame, shame, shame that this business of BlackBerry has failed....
    I owned a keyone... nada.. not the same. It is not the design of the handset but the OS.

I think I am (we are) cursed since we have experienced and loved this product. Now, I can't cope with other OSs. I wonder, if I can sue BlackBerry for giving me such burden!

OK, some of you guys might find this overly emotional or whatever. Perhaps. But, I have a problem of bb10.... and there are no remedies.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-19 04:40 PM

I went from BB10 to Windows Phone when the BB10 browser became intolerable for the sites I needed. I was surprised with the app situation on WP: in many ways, it was much worse than BB10 as on BB I could at least side load a few more Android apps I actually needed.

That said, I could live with BB10 if the browser was just kept a bit more current. That’s what killed it for me.

Now on Android. Every single time I go to share a file, and get presented with dozens of unsorted apps, an inconsistent interface and no easy way to streamline this... I wish things were different.
    01-15-19 05:57 PM
    Well, in my 'perfect world' of smartphones ; I wish, I was able to have a handset (preferably a passport se) which would run more than one OS depending on my preferences and desire. In such 'my dream world' , I would have BB10 and what the heck ever comes around it. OK, android , peh.
    As most of us agree that, BB10 is still better platform than others although it was ditched in 2013.
    It is utterly shame, shame, shame that this business of BlackBerry has failed....
    I owned a keyone... nada.. not the same. It is not the design of the handset but the OS.

I think I am (we are) cursed since we have experienced and loved this product. Now, I can't cope with other OSs. I wonder, if I can sue BlackBerry for giving me such burden!

OK, some of you guys might find this overly emotional or whatever. Perhaps. But, I have a problem of bb10.... and there are no remedies.

Posted via CB10
    Well, I seem to keep picking dying OS. First it was WebOS, and then BB10, and I keep stepping DOWN. Well, that's not fair--WebOS was a great UI, but I think BB10 is more robust.

You're right--there are no remedies--just acceptance of decline.
    Czarnajagoda and gouger05 like this.
    01-16-19 07:48 AM
    Well, I seem to keep picking dying OS. First it was WebOS, and then BB10, and I keep stepping DOWN. Well, that's not fair--WebOS was a great UI, but I think BB10 is more robust.

You're right--there are no remedies--just acceptance of decline.
    Don’t forget we all started at Windows before mobile devices. Everybody here must have at least one Windows Mobile device from long before the rebellion failed.......
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-16-19 08:48 AM
    I have a Windows 10 Phone, with all the latest updates.
    It is a well thought out system. The browser is better for sure. It is actually quite pleasant to use, I think better than Android and maybe iOS. Still like BB10 better.
    Here are the downsides from my point of view
    - Buggy, even PlayBook was never this bad (frankly I thought PlayBook was solid, if a little incomplete at the beginning) . App crashes and other glitches are fairly regular. Just one example, the nice built in Map app has decided not to work when searching offling and voice guidance disappeared unexpectedly
    - The app store is empty, even by BlackBerry standards
    - Many apps, especially the Microsoft ones have an expectation that you are online so they always sync, no option and some don't even work without a data link.

That being said, it's usable and I've set it up to do what I need to in case BB10 really goes belly up.
    I've got all the main apps I need, usable, just not as good as the BB10 ones.

But in case you're wondering, no they basically have no social media apps at all. No Whatsapp for example.

Posted via CB10
    Mine is a 950XL, the last MS flagship. Excellent hardware, but I found the OS to be "squirrely' and I didn't like the slab form. I went back to Passport from it. My kids were using it until they got Samsung phones. They don't miss it.
    01-16-19 08:49 AM
    Don’t forget we all started at Windows before mobile devices. Everybody here must have at least one Windows Mobile device from long before the rebellion failed.......
    I don't understand what you're trying to say.
    01-16-19 08:54 AM
467 1234 ...