I gotta admit, I'm the biggest BlackBerry fan I know. I take "abuse" from people weekly for it. But even I left for a spell a few months ago to try the Samsung Note 9 as I was tired of making concessions for my Passport or carrying around two devices to make up for the app gap,...

But I'm back. Yes, back to the BlackBerry Passport as my primary daily driver. Why? Simple, I want to. For me, the pros still outweigh the cons. After having a top of the line Android smartphone as my primary device, I kept longing for a better typing and messaging experience, and luckily I knew where to find it because I loved my Passport for 3 years prior to leaving, and of course never got rid of it just in case I needed to come back.

But how does one use a BlackBerry Passport as a primary daily driver in 2019 in this world driven by apps and media consumption? Simple, you do without or you supplement for what you're lacking. So I am doing a little both. Sometimes when I need apps and insurance of working websites and a great camera, I carry both devices. Sometimes when I only need the basics, I carry only my beloved Passport. Annoying? Perhaps to some, but I found it more annoying without my Passport. Annoying is relative.

"BUT, there's no future with the Passport!!!" Maybe, but there's still a present, and that's where I live. Yes, to each its own...

If you still use the Passport primarily, I'm curious how and why?

Cheers

P.S. I'm still holding out hope that somehow, someday a new Passport surfaces that allows us to be "future-proof". I know, fat chance...

Posted via CB10
    mikael11, dmlis, KAM1138 and 17 others like this.
    01-11-19 05:40 PM
    I share your love for the BlackBerry Passport. I have an SE myself, love it and I plan on using it for all of 2019 and than some.

To answer your question as best as I can. The Passport is a wonderful call, text, BBM, email machine. The large screen and keyboard makes those things very fluid and the browsing on basic websites allows a unique view.

The above being said, the Passport is pretty much only able to do the above. Other features might work but those are very limited and I would take them with a serious grain of salt.

BlackBerry 10 and the Passport have very limited functionality and that is happening at a quicker and quicker rate. The browser is going and almost gone, certain email providers such as Yahoo are either not working or require serious workarounds.

The situation is what it is and it won't get better, only significantly worse in the coming months. In the meantime, enjoy a great call, text, emailing and BBM machine and enjoy the excellent screen size/shape and top quality speakers.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-19 06:20 PM
    I gotta admit, I'm the biggest BlackBerry fan I know. I take "abuse" from people weekly for it. But even I left for a spell a few months ago to try the Samsung Note 9 as I was tired of making concessions for my Passport or carrying around two devices to make up for the app gap,...

But I'm back. Yes, back to the BlackBerry Passport as my primary daily driver. Why? Simple, I want to. For me, the pros still outweigh the cons. After having a top of the line Android smartphone as my primary device, I kept longing for a better typing and messaging experience, and luckily I knew where to find it because I loved my Passport for 3 years prior to leaving, and of course never got rid of it just in case I needed to come back.

But how does one use a BlackBerry Passport as a primary daily driver in 2019 in this world driven by apps and media consumption? Simple, you do without or you supplement for what you're lacking. So I am doing a little both. Sometimes when I need apps and insurance of working websites and a great camera, I carry both devices. Sometimes when I only need the basics, I carry only my beloved Passport. Annoying? Perhaps to some, but I found it more annoying without my Passport. Annoying is relative.

"BUT, there's no future with the Passport!!!" Maybe, but there's still a present, and that's where I live. Yes, to each its own...

If you still use the Passport primarily, I'm curious how and why?

Cheers

P.S. I'm still holding out hope that somehow, someday a new Passport surfaces that allows us to be "future-proof". I know, fat chance...

Posted via CB10
    For people like yourself, that already own the device and understand the BB10 situation, I applaud your attitude.

It’s the BB10 fans here that get angry, when the newbies or the curious ask questions and I and others answer honestly, that I don’t get.

From what I’ve read about the Key2 and the Key2 LE, it sounds like attempt for the Passport and Classic/Q10 users respectively....

Anyways, thanks for the positive vibes and enjoy your Passport as long as possible..
    01-11-19 07:15 PM
    I carried two phones for many years. Typical functions split was: Blackberry for business, another device (IP graded) for anything else.
    As many BB applications EOL'd in past 2-3 years, my Passport is now used mostly for emails/documents/browsing/e-reading while other functions (travel app, banking, Telegram/WeChat messaging...) moved to the secondary Android phone.
    Recent demise of Box and OneDrive has reduced functionality of Passport again...
    But I'm going to replace the battery soon (health dropped to 60%) and run it as long as emails work.
    ratfinkstooley and Anilu7 like this.
    01-12-19 02:26 PM
    I'm about thisclose to riding with my SE/Classic for one more run of BB10. Who knows what's going to happen, but if I'm going to retire these things, I'd want to use them.

Posted via my Awesome Passport SE SQW100-4/10.3.3.2163 pin:2C33423A
    01-12-19 07:16 PM
    Hello,

I’m still using my Passport SE as my only phone, and it’s working pretty well. The browser has problems with some sites or at least directly accessing sites.

Not sure what the problem is with Yahoo. I saw the work around that was supposedly needed . Mine is still working.

Personally, I’m hanging on until later this year and I’ll see if BBmobile is going to keep going and if they show signs of progressing or if it’s yet another dead end for “Blackberry” The hub is the only thing it really has to offer that I cant stand to lose.

But I despise Android so much, I’ll be looking at Apple.
    01-12-19 07:53 PM
    Ride it out as long as it works for you.

Just make sure you choose the right device for your workflow, and not the other way around.
    01-12-19 08:39 PM

Just make sure you choose the right device for your workflow, and not the other way around.
    Excellent advice as per usual.

Posted via my Awesome Passport SE SQW100-4/10.3.3.2163 pin:2C33423A
    01-12-19 09:05 PM
    I keep the Passport going with different browsers for different sites, turning javascript on or off as needed. While this would drive others crazy it works for me; I'm not ready to give up my favorite keyboard design.
    01-12-19 09:33 PM

I totally agree with you. This opens up an entirely different conversation of what is actually needed in a device these days vs. what is a luxury and convenience.

But I agree, to hinder ourselves from productivity in order to simply hang on to the past would be ironic when "productivity" is what we all claim to love from our BlackBerrys... We shouldn't be slaves of the rat race or of nostalgia, but earnestly consider what is best to accomplish our calling on this earth.

Not quite Jack Handey, but a deep thought nonetheless...

Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    01-12-19 09:43 PM
    The analogy I keep thinking of is people who love their classic old cars. They're not practical or fuel efficient, you can only get parts at swap meets or ebay, and most of your spare time will be spent tinkering with it. They were well built and the designs really stand among all of the blandness.
    Gazza12 and anon(8004005) like this.
    01-12-19 10:12 PM
    The analogy I keep thinking of is people who love their classic old cars. They're not practical or fuel efficient, you can only get parts at swap meets or ebay, and most of your spare time will be spent tinkering with it. They were well built and the designs really stand among all of the blandness.
    Does that include Chevrolet Vega or Ford Pinto? ;-)
    01-13-19 05:22 AM
    Does that include Chevrolet Vega or Ford Pinto? ;-)
    ppeters914, Tim-ANC and Flight_Med like this.
    01-13-19 05:56 AM
    LOL
    01-13-19 11:20 AM
    I dual carry Passport (private sim) and K1 (company sim).

The Passport in a fabulously elegant piece of hardware, but I need the apps available on K1 for my work. K1 is quite serviceable, but feels like a cheap toy when I switch to it.

Esoteric analogy: M14 versus M16
    Last edited by Tim-ANC; 01-13-19 at 02:25 PM.
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    01-13-19 01:36 PM
    Could not resist BlackBerry Passport as daily driver in 2019? How and why?-img_20190113_1113047.jpeg
    01-13-19 02:27 PM
    Could not resist Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190113_1113047.jpeg 
Views:	469 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	442373
    Nice.....
    01-13-19 03:06 PM
    Security indeed !

Posted via CB10
    01-13-19 03:30 PM
    In the meantime, enjoy a great call, text, emailing and BBM machine and enjoy the excellent screen size/shape and top quality speakers.

Posted via CB10
    I would absolutely dust off any number of my BB10 devices to use as a weekend driver if it weren't for the fact that I can no longer log in to BBM with my BBID ever since the BB BBM/Android BBM split.

Shame... BB10 was such a great OS.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    01-13-19 03:57 PM
    Though K1 fits in the mag well. I'm conflicted BlackBerry Passport as daily driver in 2019? How and why?-img_20190113_132309718-20-1-.jpeg
    01-13-19 04:31 PM
    It's simple. My mobile phone is my communications device, so I use it for email primarily, followed by text and voice so the Passport presents no compromise in that regard.
    I am not on social media nor are any of the people close to me so I'm not missing anything.

The Passport is more than capable of tracking my tasks, notes and calendar. The camera is more than good enough (when I'm serious, I've got several dedicated cameras to choose from).
    Even offline maps are no issue even if I have to run Android apps for that.
    I actually have no complaints with the browser. 99.9% of the sites I hit work just fine for me. I do have Firefox as backup but everytime I think it's the BB10 browser, it doesn't work on Firefox either.

The only time I dual carry is basically for fun when I'm deciding on the next platform to move on to.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-19 10:32 PM
    I still use my BlackBerry Passport SE after four years. Like most of us, I also started to carry a second phone for the apps. However still, my main mailing and text/call, whatsapp, skype, youtube, docs and even bbm is on my SE. I think I will continue to use it until EOL. Speaking about additional device, I dropped my android phone and replaced with an android tablet as I needed a device like a laptop. The tablet doesn't have keyboard. So, I started to use my SE's keywords by connecting via Bluetooth and using Blue TouchPad app (commands the media and mouse) from the app store which works perfectly well. Therefore now, i carry my SE as my daily phone and my android tablet as I need it most of the time due to my work. The android apps of the tablet and my SE have become a good pair just like in the old days I was with my Laptop and my old blackberry 9700 for messages and Internet tethering via cord. I am happy with this combination.

Last word for android phones; as I have tried BlackBerry keyone and a few other Android phones: they just suck!

I hope, one they, a hero or a good crazy would appear and invest on BlackBerry 10. I think this is not a crazy idea considering the realm of Google and lack of Internet security. We don't need most of the android apps. Bb10 might only need a very good browser which would respond well to the most of the mobile Web versions of such apps.

Long live bb10..... until EOL....

Posted via CB10
    01-14-19 07:54 AM
    I still use my BlackBerry Passport SE after four years. Like most of us, I also started to carry a second phone for the apps. However still, my main mailing and text/call, whatsapp, skype, youtube, docs and even bbm is on my SE. I think I will continue to use it until EOL. Speaking about additional device, I dropped my android phone and replaced with an android tablet as I needed a device like a laptop. The tablet doesn't have keyboard. So, I started to use my SE's keywords by connecting via Bluetooth and using Blue TouchPad app (commands the media and mouse) from the app store which works perfectly well. Therefore now, i carry my SE as my daily phone and my android tablet as I need it most of the time due to my work. The android apps of the tablet and my SE have become a good pair just like in the old days I was with my Laptop and my old blackberry 9700 for messages and Internet tethering via cord. I am happy with this combination.

Last word for android phones; as I have tried BlackBerry keyone and a few other Android phones: they just suck!

I hope, one they, a hero or a good crazy would appear and invest on BlackBerry 10. I think this is not a crazy idea considering the realm of Google and lack of Internet security. We don't need most of the android apps. Bb10 might only need a very good browser which would respond well to the most of the mobile Web versions of such apps.

Long live bb10..... until EOL....

Posted via CB10
    I have the blue touch pad app too. It works great. I like your approach with the tablet. I've been thinking about getting one also and you have given me better reason to do so.
    Pavelsan likes this.
    01-14-19 08:13 AM
    If Blackberry thinks BB10 will be done, maybe it is better to open source of BB10 platform. Then a community from developer fans will maintain it as myself. I'd like to do this wonderful thing to contribute my energy.

Posted via my favorite BlackBerry Passport.
    Czarnajagoda and TheBond like this.
    01-14-19 12:49 PM
    If Blackberry thinks BB10 will be done, maybe it is better to open source of BB10 platform. Then a community from developer fans will maintain it as myself. I'd like to do this wonderful thing to contribute my energy.

Posted via my favorite BlackBerry Passport.
    As detailed countless times before, this won't happen. QNX secrets, hardware root of trust, signing keys, etc.
    01-14-19 01:12 PM
467 123 ...