If it's 800, I will pass, sorry but it's not worth that kind of money. I can get an iPhone 6+ 64 gig for 849.00 US which is the much better buy. I might look at the passport in a couple of months when the price drops because of poor sales.

Sent from my Lovely z30 on T Mobile USA (10.3.0.1154)
    The "better buy" is strictly your opinion.
    Also, how do you know that the sales will be poor?
    09-12-14 10:00 AM
    The price of the z10 was set to high at the start because there was no hardware feature on it to generate that asking price. Besides bb10 all the hardware was pretty generic.

The passport has hardware innovation that no other device will have so I don't think comparing the 2 is fair. Also I think they will be much better at controlling inventory this time.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 10:02 AM
    The price of the z10 was set to high at the start because there was no hardware feature on it to generate that asking price. Besides bb10 all the hardware was pretty generic.

The passport has hardware innovation that no other device will have so I don't think comparing the 2 is fair. Also I think they will be much better at controlling inventory this time.

Posted via CB10
    Snapdragon 800 is a one year old processor, just like how Z10's processor was at that time!

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 10:14 AM
    Snapdragon 800 is a one year old processor, just like how Z10's processor was at that time!

Posted via CB10
    1GB RAM (iphone 6) , 8MP Camera etc. is like 2011/2012 specs, so?!
    Iphone doeasnt need more....!?
    Maybe Passport also!

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 10:16 AM
    Why didnt they use the Classics image then? Lol u guys find excuses for everything!
    And on Malls, they had a billboard with preorder price tag and the same "COMEBACK" on it with the Passports image, do u think thats a coincidence?:P

Posted via CB10
    Was that in Canada? I haven't heard anything about billboard or mall ads here. Or preview pricing, for that matter.

And the reason they'd use the Passport in a "vision" kind of ad is because it looks obviously new and different. If they use the Classic the advertising gets dismissed because it looks like they've gone back to producing Bolds.
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-12-14 10:21 AM
    Are you guys serious? At $800, yeah, the iPhone is a way better buy because you get the following...

1. The best available ecosystem out there. Every imaginable productivity app, tool, or add-on is available for the iPhone. BlackBerry Passport has none if this.
    2. BBM is available for the iPhone so no loss there by moving away from BlackBerry.
    3. Apple Pay. This will become the de-facto standard for contact-less payments over the next year or two and it won't be supported on BlackBerry despite the NFC capability.
    4. Premium device with exceptional build quality, that unlike BlackBerry has a consistent record of high quality.
    5. The most fluid OS experience out there, excluding the BlackBerry 10 OS peak and flow, which unfortunately is just one feature that you would somewhat lose by going with the iPhone (note I say somewhat because the iPhone is moving towards gesture control as of iOS 7).
    6. The best camera out there for a smartphone, bar-none.
    7. The best after sales support for any smartphone company out there, bar-none.
    8. Incredible resale value even after two years. The iPhone will fetch at least 65% to 75% of its value even used. The Passport will be basically unsellable.
    9. Readily available service parts in case the phone breaks. The Passport will likely have a handful of repair parts suppliers with very high prices.

Now on the flip side, here is what you lose.

1. The HUB. Awesome feature, but not enough to differentiate the platform.
    2. Battery life. The iPhone will require more charging, albeit the 6 plus will likely last about as good as a Z30.
    3. The best virtual keyboard in the business. This is somewhat compensated by availability of third party keyboards on iOS with the arrival of iOS 8.
    4. If you are on BES, possibly some security. Otherwise, for consumers the iPhone actually offers more protection.

The only unknown value add for the Passport is the new keyboard. However, I have a pretty good idea how it will work since the LG G3 virtual keyboard actually functions almost exactly the same as the Passport physical keyboard. It's OK at best.

Now, on a personal note, if this is the price I will wait out the Passport on Craigslist. In the meantime, BlackBerry will lose at least two sales, my wife and I. Neither of us is dumb to spend this kind of money on a dying platform, even though we both full well could and fall into the "professional" target market BlackBerry is after. Sadly, this kind of pricing misses the boat entirely. My colleague who is also a BlackBerry fan is also going to dump his Z30 if this ends up being the Passport pricing.

Finally, this is a repost, of a repost, of a repost, of an unsubstantiated claim by a website that they have info. No source, no proof. Nothing.

Posted via CB10
    Iphone apple pay and security in the same post haha that's funny!
    Tell all those people who had personal photos hacked and put out there for all the world to see lol!
    Now apple wants people to put their payment info on the phone/cloud??
    Just wait till some celebrities Amex black card gets hacked from their iTunes account lol!

"I love when people boast about their phones...like its a pissing contest"
    Q10Bold likes this.
    09-12-14 10:34 AM
    1GB RAM (iphone 6) , 8MP Camera etc. is like 2011/2012 specs, so?!
    Iphone doeasnt need more....!?
    Maybe Passport also!

Posted via CB10
    8mp iPhone 6 camera should still be one of the best shooter out there!
    And u cannot tell iPhone doesnt deserve that much, cuz people are standing in line just to have the sh*t cuz it has an Apple logo at the back! This is not the case for the Passport, BB should go behind the people to make them buy their phone!

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 10:53 AM
    Iphone apple pay and security in the same post haha that's funny!
    Tell all those people who had personal photos hacked and put out there for all the world to see lol!
    Now apple wants people to put their payment info on the phone/cloud??
    Just wait till some celebrities Amex black card gets hacked from their iTunes account lol!

Stop hurting my head with ignorance. When BlackBerry gets a cloud storage solution then let's see how well they protect it. Put up or shut up. It's as simple as that. Granted, what Apple did by not limiting the password attempts was pretty stupid, for their cloud solution (emphasis on cloud solution). The "hack" wasn't an actual hack, and it also had nothing to do with the iPhone as the device. Apple also has a relatively good track record of patching issues that come up.

Now, speaking about Apple Pay, the system is local to the device, and it uses your fingerprint for authentication on each payment. This is significantly more secure for average use than the current tap and pay methods which could be used by anyone if they simply got a hold of a lost card. The downside is of course that if somebody gets your fingerprint, you can't change it. This is a general problem that plagues all biometric security solutions.

A BlackBerry is no more or less secure than an iPhone for the general user. It's only when BES comes into play that BlackBerry truly offers additional security.

Posted via CB10
    blee4 likes this.
    09-12-14 10:56 AM
    I hope Kpo can shed some light on this, he and Deezy are the most reputable sources on CB.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 11:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    I'm talking about the physical gesture keyboard that can be used as a trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 11:42 AM
    Much will depend on the launch being carefully controlled, so they don't end up having to write down inventory again.
    Learn a lesson from Apple and keep the first production run low. No excess inventory means no need to drop prices. Besides, scarcity creates demand, and the herd mentality seems to be increasingly prevalent in today's society.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Thrac Dark and Spawn12 like this.
    09-12-14 01:06 PM
    Stop hurting my head with ignorance. When BlackBerry gets a cloud storage solution then let's see how well they protect it. Put up or shut up. It's as simple as that. Granted, what Apple did by not limiting the password attempts was pretty stupid, for their cloud solution (emphasis on cloud solution). The "hack" wasn't an actual hack, and it also had nothing to do with the iPhone as the device. Apple also has a relatively good track record of patching issues that come up.

Now, speaking about Apple Pay, the system is local to the device, and it uses your fingerprint for authentication on each payment. This is significantly more secure for average use than the current tap and pay methods which could be used by anyone if they simply got a hold of a lost card. The downside is of course that if somebody gets your fingerprint, you can't change it. This is a general problem that plagues all biometric security solutions.

A BlackBerry is no more or less secure than an iPhone for the general user. It's only when BES comes into play that BlackBerry truly offers additional security.

Posted via CB10
    In reference to touch id I'll just put this here....tell me again how it is secure???
    Blackberry Passport Canada, UK, Europe & UAE Release Date - 01 October, 2014 | USA Mid to Late Oct-img_20140912_143042.png

Blacklatino likes this.
    09-12-14 01:32 PM
    dejanh, you are really an Iphone fan, and that is ok , the funny thing is that in my office, where people are consultants with high salaries there is not buzz like before with the new Iphone 6, and I see often people changing their Iphone for more and more Androids (Sammies, Nexus and HTC), take it as you wish but in mature Iphones markets the selling is not going to be like before, but you know, they can supply that with huge marketing in China. The Passport is for people who has U$650-700 to spend in a phone, miss the keyboard and likes good specs, and are not heavy app users, for example like me, I dont need one trillion apps, I need only six, but I need the best phone to read pdf documents, and that will be: Ip.... ooopss not, The Passport.
    Last edited by Ethereo; 09-12-14 at 03:46 PM.
    09-12-14 03:30 PM
    In reference to touch id I'll just put this here....tell me again how it is secure???
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140912_143042.png 
Views:	420 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	297399

This is too funny. They aren't actually hacking anything, they are just using different body parts to set up the authentication and then authenticate with them. You can't set up Touch ID with a fingerprint and then unlock it with a cat's paw. If anyone actually claims this to be the case, they are outright lying.

For the record, I'm not an iPhone fan. I'm just sick of people spreading BS and of cutting BlackBerry slack for screwups.

Posted via CB10
    tinochiko likes this.
    09-12-14 03:35 PM
    This is too funny. They aren't actually hacking anything, they are just using different body parts to set up the authentication and then authenticate with them. You can't set up Touch ID with a fingerprint and then unlock it with a cat's paw. If anyone actually claims this to be the case, they are outright lying.

For the record, I'm not an iPhone fan. I'm just sick of people spreading BS and of cutting BlackBerry slack for screwups.

Posted via CB10
    But what can happen is during the period it is unlocked, someone can set up their fingerprint to unlock as one of the 5, and since a user would rarely have a reason to go there, it can go unnoticed for ages whilst someone has full access to your phone whenever they want

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 03:37 PM
    generally way over priced.
    09-12-14 04:19 PM
    Screw BlackBerry and their pricing! When will they ever learn?!

Posted via CB10
    Is that really necessary? Should they give the product away?
    09-12-14 05:17 PM
    ROFLMFAO. "Appreciate it's value"? If I put aside the ridiculousness of that statement being applied to a phone for a minute, could you possibly elaborate what "value" it brings?

I personally am starting to feel that BlackBerry has some fans that are even more delusional than iSheep. It's quite a turn-off, figuratively speaking.

Posted via CB10
    It's about as ridiculous as your statement that Apple Pay will become the defacto standard for contact less payments LMAO and will not work on BlackBerry. Guess what with the major try of the global market running Android it's NEVER gonna work on that platform either so stop kissing *** about standards - Nothing is a standard until it works in ALL platforms and for all parties involved of willing. It's agnostic that's the definition.

I'd swear these iOS apple-ites are becoming less educated by the release - sad since there are a lot of educational apps.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    09-12-14 09:50 PM
    Both phones are expensive.. But How did you figure out that the Iphone is a better buy?
    Ecosystem, service and support. Apple service is the gold standard, I've had phones replaced on the spot same day and less than 20 minutes into an appointment. None of this "send me your phone and wait 2 weeks"

Posted via my Q10
    bakron1 likes this.
    09-12-14 10:59 PM
    It's about as ridiculous as your statement that Apple Pay will become the defacto standard for contact less payments LMAO and will not work on BlackBerry. Guess what with the major try of the global market running Android it's NEVER gonna work on that platform either so stop kissing *** about standards - Nothing is a standard until it works in ALL platforms and for all parties involved of willing. It's agnostic that's the definition.

I'd swear these iOS apple-ites are becoming less educated by the release - sad since there are a lot of educational apps.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    Would you be surprised or shocked if I told you that I own a Z10, a Q10, and sold my Z30 just 2 months ago? Oh and, let's not forget my Android LG G2. Sorry no iPhones here, but it must be my wife's iPod Nano that's sucking out my intelligence. Sadly, my BlackBerry devices can't seem to counteract the Apple vortex.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 12:06 AM
    I look at value, customer support, app ecosystem, resale value and so on. Here in the USA there is no support for the BlackBerry brand. I am the exception here and probably the only one in my area with a z30.

My carrier T Mobile no longer is licensed to carry BlackBerry products and I am not changing my carrier just to support BlackBerry, sorry but it should be the other way around. If BlackBerry wants my business, then let them and T-Mobile kiss and make up.

Apple has two stores in my area and if I have an issue, it's a 20 minutes ride and I can get the device serviced or get a new one on the spot. Not have to worry about sending it back to digital river and be without a device until they repair it.

I posted many times about BlackBerry needing to improve their customer service and support and so far in haven't seen anything to change my opinion. I really wanted a passport, not at 800 dollars US, sorry but they should have priced it to attract new users, not scaring them away. Just my two cents.

This is mainly targeted at the enterprise customers and for them it has more value than iPhone 6+. From productivity stand point, iPhones can't beat this. If you think iPhone is a better buy at $849 then you are basically seeing it from purely consumer point of view and also from Apple fan perspective. iPhone 6+ has only bigger screen than Passport, in all other aspects (specs wise), Passport is superior. In any case, if you are in the states then you will be better off buying iPhone because I don't think Passport will be available in the states for a while. As for me, I wouldn't buy iPhone 6+ for even $699.
    09-13-14 01:24 AM
    I doubt BES users will be paying that price... normally their handsets will automatically be discounted by Blackberry for using their other services.

The question is if there will be incentives in place for the non-BES business/professional user - this type of consumer will be price adverse - so either Blackberry will need to be price competitive or give some other services away as free. If you notice, Samsung does a lot of the later by providing $100 - $300 worth of software/subscriptions/hardware as free or at discount price.

I personally do not believe this product will be marketed to the general consumer until Christmas season (if at all), by this time there will probably be more consumer related apps developed etc... These types of consumers tend to buy on contract, so they will get a price/gift combo incentive.
    Exactly!!!
    09-13-14 05:02 AM
    This is mainly targeted at the enterprise customers and for them it has more value than iPhone 6+. From productivity stand point, iPhones can't beat this. If you think iPhone is a better buy at $849 then you are basically seeing it from purely consumer point of view and also from Apple fan perspective. iPhone 6+ has only bigger screen than Passport, in all other aspects (specs wise), Passport is superior. In any case, if you are in the states then you will be better off buying iPhone because I don't think Passport will be available in the states for a while. As for me, I wouldn't buy iPhone 6+ for even $699.
    The new iPhone 6 with 64 GIG is 749.00 US plus tax, a great ecosystem, the best support and warranty in the business?

The pre sales are sold out and folks will pay their hard earned money up front and wait 6 weeks to go get one, I say that's a pretty good product for the money.

09-13-14 07:51 AM
    The new iPhone 6 with 64 GIG is 749.00 US plus tax, a great ecosystem, the best support and warranty in the business?

The pre sales are sold out and folks will pay their hard earned money up front and wait 6 weeks to go get one, I say that's a pretty good product for the money.

I guess it is good to be on the verizon network since you can get that phone in 2 weeks instead of 6.
    09-13-14 08:05 AM
    Posted via my Q10
    09-13-14 08:27 AM
162 ... 4567