I'm not sure what the other individual means, but for me, my phone is invaluable. But that's true even of my (now old and relatively crappy) Dell Venue Pro too. What's valuable to me is having a phone with a large screen and a solid keyboard, because I read a lot of emails by phone, and also compose a lot. For me, a phone without a keyboard would not be practical. I know a lot of other people have transitioned to slabs. ... That wouldn't meet my needs.
    If I end up getting a Passport, it will hopefully offer the added value of being able to play Words With Friends with relatives using the Android app. The Windows version of Words With Friends is apparently buggy.
    While increasing my work productivity and being able to connect with distant relatives through a game on my phone are relatively mundane things, I would have a hard time expressing how much I'd value something that can accomplish those things, or do them better than I currently can.

ROFLMFAO. "Appreciate it's value"? If I put aside the ridiculousness of that statement being applied to a phone for a minute, could you possibly elaborate what "value" it brings?

I personally am starting to feel that BlackBerry has some fans that are even more delusional than iSheep. It's quite a turn-off, figuratively speaking.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt likes this.
    09-11-14 01:23 PM
    One benefit that might be worth the extra $100 is that it probably offers spellcheck and/or grammar check. ;-)

Blackberry better sale the Passport for $100 off contract or I'm going to be pissed.
    09-11-14 01:24 PM
    I got word that the Passport would become available Feb-2015 through AT&T... I am not sure about any other carrier... Suck if true.
    09-11-14 01:35 PM
    Making your product cheaper doesn't necessarily sway buyers. They'll see it as the cheap option and combine that with the opinion that BB is dead, they'll avoid it like the plague. BB will also make little off the sales they do get (assuming the price isn't so low as to be sold at a loss), and they'll end up being HTC. There's no way BB can afford to be price-competitive with Chinese Android vendors. They can only try to offer something different and unique that justifies the price. BB is not mass-market. Those days are long past. They fill a niche. It may be that BB users of the past don't fit that mold anymore.
    BB is not a niche, it became a niche because less than 1% of the people have it!
    if Nexus or Moto can justify their price then how can u say BB is? Moto X has the same specs as the Z30 but is available for half the price, so its one of the best selling phones! And please dont tell me Z30 is this and that, the thing is, people doesnt care to know, they just compare the specs and buy it! When Z10's price was reduced to less than half it was initially sold for, a lot of people, a hell lot of people bought it! That is definitely a better profitable option for BlackBerry than selling one in a million!

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 01:36 PM
    I payed $800 for my Q10 in Denmark 1 year ago. Now you can buy it for $400. I feel bad about it... and therefore I don't wanna buy BlackBerry immediately anymore. Wait 1-2 year.

Posted via CB10
    Mo Cat likes this.
    09-11-14 01:57 PM
    No, no, no. You can't win back the people you lost with such high prices.

Make it 550 euro, and I'll jump on the BB bandwagon (as an Android user).

If this is true, there will be sad times for BBRY.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Mo Cat likes this.
    09-11-14 02:00 PM
    I agree with with backron1, support with BB is bad, I had a new Z30, DOA, and it took 22 days for a replacement. All this while had to use a standby phone, which was a MoteE, that became a daily driver. With that kind of support it is difficult to justify. Irrespective of the price tag the support has to improve by a mile.
    09-11-14 02:31 PM
    I posted this information you Li's here yesterday and I got slammed by a few on here LOL. Be careful.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-11-14 02:57 PM
    If I paid $800 for a phone my wife would seriously freak. Likewise If I told my boss I needed an $800 phone. Who is their target audience for this exactly?
    Your boss.
    09-11-14 03:46 PM
    Oh my GAWD I hate the Internet some days. The right item gets reported in the right place and it winds up bouncing around the echo chamber like a ping-pong ball.

ALL of this speculation is fueled by an UNSOURCED item on blackberryOS.com and little to none of it has been corroborated. Now I've seen this reported as fact in a dozen different outlets, but absolutely all of them are citing this dumb bbOS.com post. Hell, I'm sure I could come up with something that would draw clicks and get other outlets to link to me.

Can we please move on?
    09-11-14 03:51 PM
    I payed $800 for my Q10 in Denmark 1 year ago. Now you can buy it for $400. I feel bad about it... and therefore I don't wanna buy BlackBerry immediately anymore. Wait 1-2 year.

Posted via CB10
    That isn't just BlackBerry. All new tech items start out pricey and gradually drift down, either through discounts or price cuts.
    Spawn12 likes this.
    09-11-14 03:52 PM
    Making your product cheaper doesn't necessarily sway buyers. They'll see it as the cheap option and combine that with the opinion that BB is dead, they'll avoid it like the plague. BB will also make little off the sales they do get (assuming the price isn't so low as to be sold at a loss), and they'll end up being HTC. There's no way BB can afford to be price-competitive with Chinese Android vendors. They can only try to offer something different and unique that justifies the price. BB is not mass-market. Those days are long past. They fill a niche. It may be that BB users of the past don't fit that mold anymore.
    THIS

So many times I tried to explain this! It's better for them to add value to the brand to justify the price than push it down to increase sales, and with reformed stock control there's no way the price will dive unless something goes horribly wrong

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck and bigbadben10 like this.
    09-11-14 03:54 PM
    I hope it is sold in the U.S. within days of the release worldwide. I am hoping this is not another long wait for America. Release it quickly and make it available off contract from BlackBerry. Don't make the american market be held hostage again by the U.S. carriers.
    1raygin likes this.
    09-11-14 03:58 PM
    I'll pay $800 for a Passport. I'll even pay $900 for it.
    09-11-14 03:59 PM
    I got word that the Passport would become available Feb-2015 through AT&T... I am not sure about any other carrier... Suck if true.
    Where did you hear that??
    09-11-14 04:03 PM
    Like I said before, no upgrade path means that he will ride out a few more months with the Z30 and after that it's off to another platform. Not having competitive pricing when you don't have a value proposition is a double whammy.

Posted via CB10
    So he will go and pay more for an iPhone. Sounds like a smart plan.. Not!!
    Spawn12 likes this.
    09-11-14 04:14 PM
    I hope it is sold in the U.S. within days of the release worldwide. I am hoping this is not another long wait for America. Release it quickly and make it available off contract from BlackBerry. Don't make the american market be held hostage again by the U.S. carriers.
    I hope so too, but I'm not encouraged by the signs: no launch event in the US, and not even a whisper about the Passport from any US carrier. John Chen may have made it his mission to stop leaks, but the carriers are anything but airtight. If any US carrier were planning to sell the Passport within a few days or weeks of September 24, a lot of people working for that carrier would know about it by now, and I think we'd have some more substantial rumors than anything we've heard so far.

I really want to be wrong about this.
    09-11-14 04:17 PM
    BB is not a niche, it became a niche because less than 1% of the people have it!
    if Nexus or Moto can justify their price then how can u say BB is? Moto X has the same specs as the Z30 but is available for half the price, so its one of the best selling phones! And please dont tell me Z30 is this and that, the thing is, people doesnt care to know, they just compare the specs and buy it! When Z10's price was reduced to less than half it was initially sold for, a lot of people, a hell lot of people bought it! That is definitely a better profitable option for BlackBerry than selling one in a million!

Posted via CB10
    I guess you didn't see that they had to write down a billion on Z10's. That isn't a profitable option to me. But I guess you as a CEO know better than me.
    09-11-14 04:19 PM
    If I end up getting a Passport, it will hopefully offer the added value of being able to play Words With Friends with relatives using the Android app.
    I play WWF every day with an old high school friend, on my Q10. It's not the most stable Android app on BB10, but it's playable. I just thought I'd mention it if you haven't tried it.
    09-11-14 04:23 PM
    Sorry, was with you until....

Are you guys serious? At $800, yeah, the iPhone is a way better buy because you get the following...

6. The best camera out there for a smartphone, bar-none.

Posted via CB10
    The iphone camera is nowhere near the best camera on a phone. Not even close. Don't trust me, go to testing sites like dpreview, gsmarena etc. My almost 3 year old nokia pureview 808 is *still* better than any camera apple has made. Then you have half a dozen other nokia phones (just talking about the camera, not the phone itself), a couple of sony (z1/2), the new LG3, a samsung or two.......

Its not that apples have bad cameras, they are in fact quite good - just don't say they are the best. That makes you sound silly

Agree with pretty much everything else though. As much as the iPhone is not the phone for me (I can't tinker anywhere near as much - I'm a firmware dev), I admire what it does. At $800, there are LOTS of alternatives. The midrange "flagships" are also getting interesting. Things like the nexus range, desire 816/820, lumia 830 (another one I wouldn't personally get, but it is still a good phone), or the trusty z30. At $300-$400 with only a small drop in performance/specs these would be considered.
    09-11-14 04:25 PM
    If it's 800, I will pass, sorry but it's not worth that kind of money. I can get an iPhone 6+ 64 gig for 849.00 US which is the much better buy. I might look at the passport in a couple of months when the price drops because of poor sales.

Sent from my Lovely z30 on T Mobile USA (10.3.0.1154)
    i wouldn't pay a penny for the iphone ......very happy to pay for the passport much better phone
    09-11-14 04:26 PM
    I think $800 price tag for a Passport is way too high for me. $650 is more realistic pricing if BlackBerry wants to attract bigger user base. It should not priced the same as the iPhone. iPhone has 1. Eco system. 2. Available customer service (Apple stores are everywhere) 3. Good resale value.
    BB10 on Passport is great but people don't know that and they are very skeptical. The only thing BlackBerry can make it attractive is through pricing.

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    09-11-14 04:27 PM
    The price for the Passport isn't going to drop like it did with the Z10 and Q10. BlackBerry are going to handle inventory a lot better, the days of BlackBerry fire-sales are over

Posted via CB10
    This.

Lot of people don't seem to get this. They think it will always be like what happened with Z10 and Q10.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 04:33 PM
    BlackBerry is dead in the eyes of others, so to let them even think of getting a BB when they see one, is first by its pricing and if they come to know what BB10 is! But If its priced like a stupid iPhone, no one would buy it!

Posted via CB10
    When will you understand the market that BlackBerry is trying to go after?

A price doesn't attract buyers. If someone really wants a phone it seems like they'll find a way to buy it. I have never bought a BB because it's cheaper than an iPhone, I bought it because that's the phone I wanted.

Most important factor is to create buzz and have positive reviews towards the Passport. People talk and that'll create sales (if it is received well).
    Thrac Dark likes this.
    09-11-14 04:48 PM
    A price doesn't attract buyers.
    I don't even... I'd say "Wat is deze?!", but you aren't Dutch.
    09-11-14 04:53 PM
162 12345 ...