I have a Blackberry Silver Edition SQW 100-4 with AT&T LTE service. In the general category it shows LTE operating bands(1,2,3,4,5,7,8,13,17,20). My question is, will this phone work in LTE and or 4g service areas in 2022?
    No one knows.....

BB shutdown of their servers will greatly impact devices next year... to what extent, we can only guess.

It is likely that your LTE/4G will work fine after the shutdown of 3G..... but how your phone will react to missing 3G signals is unknown, it might search harder for those and drain the battery. But currently your PHONE uses GSM/3G for voice calls and LTE/4G for data. The question is will your PHONE be able to utilize AT&T VoLTE Service? It's not on the list of supported devices. Some claim that they have talked with ATT Reps that say it will.... but till ATT flip the switch or adds it to the list?????
    02-02-21 11:17 AM
    Can't those BB10 users on T-Mobile already find out now if their device still makes/receives calls and sms since we're past January?
    02-02-21 11:57 AM
    Can't those BB10 users on T-Mobile already find out now if their device still makes/receives calls and sms since we're past January?
    It wasn't an overnight shutdown. It's a (very) slow-burn rollout. I think the January date was just the termination of a 3G guarantee.
    Last edited by conite; 02-02-21 at 01:26 PM.
    02-02-21 01:13 PM
    It wasn't an overnight shutdown. It's a (very) slow-burn rollout. I think the January date was just the termination of a 3G guarantee.
    Some signs are pointing to T-Mobile not shutting down Sprints CDMA 3G till Jan of 2022. What they end up doing with their own GSM 3G????? Do like Verizon and just keep it on till the retrofit a tower and need to make room for new equipment?

But Jan 1, 2021 was the end of any contract renewals or extensions for phone or IoT equipment.
    Leather_nun likes this.
    02-02-21 01:35 PM
    I just typed in "Blackberry Passport 2021" in YT search line. I was surprised by the number of videos...
    02-07-21 05:02 PM
    I just typed in "Blackberry Passport 2021" in YT search line. I was surprised by the number of videos...
    Well I guess Youtubers do what Youtubers do.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-21 06:00 AM
    Well I guess Youtubers do what Youtubers do.

Posted via CB10
    Indeed, they do.
    I'm just surprised to see that some Youtubers are also Passporters, so to say, in 2021.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    02-08-21 09:20 AM
    Yeah, they bough one second hand, or borrowed one for a video. Or in best case they found their old one in the drawer.
    I don't believe they using it daily.
    02-23-21 04:09 PM
    Yeah, they bough one second hand, or borrowed one for a video. Or in best case they found their old one in the drawer.
    I don't believe they using it daily.
    Ha, ha. I tought the same thing. In some videos that's clearly visible that Passport starring in it is fresh as just out of box (or after complete wipe) I am using Passport as my daily driver and not only for calls and sms, but I'm challenged to get maximum usability out of it by sideloading all possible apps for all my needs, searching for workarounds etc. I have a YT channel with some videos. Mostly releated to electronic as I am studying electronics and also working in that field.
    Well, I am going to create another video in this 'Passport in 2021' series hehe. But I will not just film it, scroll trough menus and just tell some booring info. Or state Passports tech specs that YT already have a lott of videos about. I will make my movie about Passport in real life situations. In action. Like driving car with Passport mounted and Waze running. Making calls to my friend in Whatssap or using mapping softwares to navigate around. Well, of course there will be some story behind it. I like this phone a lot and I am enjoying it so thats least I can do to save my memories using it. Maybe other ppl that like Passport will find my video interesting. Will start filming in coming weeks

Posted via CB10
    03-03-21 03:38 AM
    Can we find you at yt with the same nickname?

Posted via CB10
    Viljams likes this.
    03-03-21 05:43 AM
    I'll post a link here when my video will be ready
    03-03-21 06:06 AM
    Great (y)

Posted via CB10
    03-03-21 09:40 AM
    Wait is it now the Passport supports HDVOICE which is basically VoLTE?

Posted via CB10
    03-03-21 01:15 PM
    Wait is it now the Passport supports HDVOICE which is basically VoLTE?

Posted via CB10
    No
    03-03-21 03:35 PM
    Not even the European ones?
    03-03-21 04:26 PM
    Not even the European ones?
    VoLTE is not built into Passport as it’s a newer version standard of LTE that requires that newer standard of LTE built into equipment. Since BlackBerry was only interested with burning through parts commitments made in 2011-2013 era, it never spent the additional resources for the new standard. It was good enough as-is for the era and to exit the mobile arena.
    03-03-21 04:36 PM
    But afaik the devices meant for different geographical regions can and have different chips/parts. Can't that have any affect on this?
    03-03-21 04:55 PM
    But afaik the devices meant for different geographical regions can and have different chips/parts. Can't that have any affect on this?
    They are all identical. SQW100-1 and -4 were sold globally.

That said, AT&T had their own model, the SQW100-3, which was exclusive. It dropped LTE band 13, but added wireless charging.
    03-03-21 05:01 PM
    I'm selling all my Blackberry phones on eBay. Just sold my Classic and a Q10. I plan on keeping my Passport SE even though it's EOL is coming next year.
    03-08-21 10:29 PM
    My phone still works although I only get MMS photos sporadically.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-21 09:44 PM
    I wanted to switch phones for a while, so I put my AT&T sim card from my iPhone into my passport classic and AT&T suspended my service for that phone number. I had to call and have them reactivate the phone number. They said the phone is an unknown device. This is the second time I had to do this. Just wondering if this happens to other Blackberry users with AT&T service.
    04-05-21 12:32 AM
    I wanted to switch phones for a while, so I put my AT&T sim card from my iPhone into my passport classic and AT&T suspended my service for that phone number. I had to call and have them reactivate the phone number. They said the phone is an unknown device. This is the second time I had to do this. Just wondering if this happens to other Blackberry users with AT&T service.
    I think AT&T leaves existing devices alone... it's when someone activate a "new" or different non VoLTE device that they are now doing the suspensions.

I think everyone has now switched to 2022 being the new end of 3G.... but that will only help those with devices already activated. But all things come to an end....
    04-05-21 11:47 AM
    So far most current info I've seen for "end of 3g" on US-Carriers is between 10-2021 (Or 02 2022) (? Has something to do with Sprint Merge) for T-Mobile, 01-2022 for AT&T, can't find anything official VZW... All that could change in 2 months.

The good news is there's several months to save up for a phone.

The "??" news - Nothing of quality would be cheap, but I'm in no position to drop $500+ USD every couple years .... can't find anything "On the WHITE List"with a replace-able battery. Li-on are much better than years ago. Trouble is the FEW shops that offer "Battery Replacement" don't service all devices.

Maybe unlocked iPhone might be within reach before "sunset" - I have heard only the iPhones are 100% immune to carrier "Bloat Ware" and etc? An "unlocked iPhone" may be the only option to enjoy luxury of a camera. I did find out with proper cable & drivers one can transfer images to the PC (It'd be nice to learn one can turn that "cloud" thing off, entirely)

The way iPhones work (rightly) there may be few (if any?) legit options to buy a used one (not even thinking ebay)... Am all ears - I'm seeing 7x (the bigger screen) iPhones at 1/2 the cost of a new one. A camera is nice. Better to have none than get stung w/ a paperweight

Any reason I couldn't still use Passport for Camera, Video? Via either Wifi or SD-Card?
    04-09-21 05:35 PM
    I spoke with a buddy who runs the AT&T store here where i live, He was excited to tell me that they were told information on upcoming phones and a Blackberry was one of them.. The info he knows is that it will have 3 back cameras, 1 front. 8gb ram and 128 on the storage and the price is to be between $600 & $800. Normally he won't tell me anything unless its set and stone so im sure this is right, and its to be here by Summer.
    Rico4you likes this.
    04-09-21 06:17 PM
    I spoke with a buddy who runs the AT&T store here where i live, He was excited to tell me that they were told information on upcoming phones and a Blackberry was one of them.. The info he knows is that it will have 3 back cameras, 1 front. 8gb ram and 128 on the storage and the price is to be between $600 & $800. Normally he won't tell me anything unless its set and stone so im sure this is right, and its to be here by Summer.
    It wont be here by summer so not sure if I believe anything else either lol
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-09-21 06:35 PM
156 1234 ...