Again your comparison of 1 gig on BB10 on the Playbook was in its infancy and hasn't had updates or refinement over a 6 or 7 year period like Android. I feel your comparison is just a cheap jab at BB10 and a poor one.

Posted via CB10
    Arrrgh!

BB10 CAN NOT be scaled to 1GB. Period.

The first BB10 dev units were 1GB, and they were unworkable. They had to bump to 2GB.

This is not bashing BB10. It was a one sentence rebuttal to an inaccurate statement.
    02-06-17 07:36 PM
    Funny that is the complete opposite of what was said on Android Central (recent episode). They said Android requires more ram to run smoothly and if you don't have more than 2 gigs of ram you will have a poor experience. Sorry but that is just not true Conite. Maybe if you install nothing at all and don't use it I suppose it may run fine on 2gigs. They said you need minimum 3 to 4 gigs for a decent experience. Only iPhone can run on 1 or 2 gigs of ram smoothly. They said that Android uses the RAM much more than iOS does and needs more period.

Believe it was podcast episode #323

Posted via CB10
    before i want to buy PP, i thought with 3GB ram so very smooth, but no...
    it eats 1,5 ram. On Z10 eats 1GB ram of 2GB. next month i will buy iphone what so i use it for everday. better or bad than Blackberry, but i got testimonial that iphone great camera,ram, and material and system too. important of this, cheap and easy to get replacement component than blackberry

Posted via CB10
    02-06-17 08:16 PM
    before i want to buy PP, i thought with 3GB ram so very smooth, but no...
    it eats 1,5 ram. On Z10 eats 1GB ram of 2GB. next month i will buy iphone what so i use it for everday. better or bad than Blackberry, but i got testimonial that iphone great camera,ram, and material and system too. important of this, cheap and easy to get replacement component than blackberry

Posted via CB10
    Did you not exchange your new Passport yet? You've clearly been having issues. It's a nice device and has NONE of the problems you keep complaining about.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    02-06-17 08:18 PM
    Again your comparison of 1 gig on BB10 on the Playbook was in its infancy and hasn't had updates or refinement over a 6 or 7 year period like Android. I feel your comparison is just a cheap jab at BB10 and a poor one.

Posted via CB10
    I'm going to back Conite up here and say this.... The PlayBook never had BB10 because of the memory limitation. Other than the memory it is nearly the same hardware as the Z10. John Chen specifically said they did not bring BB10 to the PlayBook because it did not have enough memory to run BB10 efficiently.

Maybe eventually BB10 could get there but it won't and didn't.
    02-06-17 08:43 PM
    Sheesh. And I still remember the days when my desktop ran just fine on 512kb. With floppy disc.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    02-06-17 09:02 PM
    Sheesh. And I still remember the days when my desktop ran just fine on 512kb. With floppy disc.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    I had a TRS80 model 1 level 2. I got the memory bump from 4k to 16k.
    02-06-17 09:03 PM
    I'm going to back Conite up here and say this.... The PlayBook never had BB10 because of the memory limitation. Other than the memory it is nearly the same hardware as the Z10. John Chen specifically said they did not bring BB10 to the PlayBook because it did not have enough memory to run BB10 efficiently.

Maybe eventually BB10 could get there but it won't and didn't.
    My apologies, I never owned a Playbook and thought it got the update that they promised lol. Ha ha promised. That's funny. Ha ha.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-17 09:13 PM
    My apologies, I never owned a Playbook and thought it got the update that they promised lol. Ha ha promised. That's funny. Ha ha.

Posted via CB10
    You gave up too easily. Blackberry 10 and playbook os 2.0 are basically the same thing with different naming structures like running different flavors of Linux or different android versions, just different naming structures to show their evolution. You cannot run the current flavor of android, Nougat with optimal performance on a 1 gb phone. BB10 will run on the playbook just not optimally as it wasn't built for it.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-17 09:48 PM
    Android, iOS, and BB10 can all manage to run on 1GB of Ram. The problem comes when you add all the other apps and functions that are required for the so called "full" function of the device.

As for Android, it doesn't use much more Ram to operate than that of iOS. The reason for higher Ram on Android is to support all the cache processes. Android does not compress as good as iOS so it needs more Ram to keep recently used information current and waiting for the user.

Check this out, it better explains it.....

02-06-17 09:50 PM
    You gave up too easily. Blackberry 10 and playbook os 2.0 are basically the same thing with different naming structures like running different flavors of Linux or different android versions, just different naming structures to show their evolution. You cannot run the current flavor of android, Nougat with optimal performance on a 1 gb phone. BB10 will run on the playbook just not optimally as it wasn't built for it.

Posted via CB10
    Look at the Moto E 2. Marshmallow runs swimmingly on 1GB.

BB10 was hopeless on 1GB. It couldn't even load all of its services, let alone any apps.
    02-06-17 09:53 PM
    I'd love to see how it handles gamelofts mordern combat or any other high memory usage games before I can know if it runs flawlessly. I remember the playbook running these games flawlessly. I'm not sure what swimmingly means lol without some real world tests.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ryder55; 02-06-17 at 10:43 PM.
    02-06-17 10:12 PM
  12. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    Did you not exchange your new Passport yet? You've clearly been having issues. It's a nice device and has NONE of the problems you keep complaining about.
    my PP LCD brocken,it was not crack but like this after fall down . oh i think it so pewerfull and so strong device. but NONE...
    Blackberry passport in 2017-16463094_1473751669303286_1342032270595495433_o.jpg

Posted via CB10
    02-06-17 11:03 PM
    I'd love to see how it handles gamelofts mordern combat or any other high memory usage games before I can know if it runs flawlessly. I remember the playbook running these games flawlessly. I'm not sure what swimmingly means lol without some real world tests.

Posted via CB10
    So I guess the difference in iPhone with 2gb of RAM vs Google Pixel with 4gb's of RAM is negligible, not double lol. I'm beginning to learn how to talk Android. The 4 gigs was given to you on the phone but you don't need it to run smoothly, they were just being nice.... It doesn't use more RAM but they put it in anyway...... when we talk OS we aren't talking about the app ecosystem that runs on it which we say makes the OS worth while. now I'm beginning to see the light folks........

Posted via CB10
    02-07-17 04:27 AM
    So I guess the difference in iPhone with 2gb of RAM vs Google Pixel with 4gb's of RAM is negligible, not double lol. I'm beginning to learn how to talk Android. The 4 gigs was given to you on the phone but you don't need it to run smoothly, they were just being nice.... It doesn't use more RAM but they put it in anyway...... when we talk OS we aren't talking about the app eosystem that runs on it which we say makes the OS worth while. now I'm beginning to see the light folks........

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. Without the ability to handle the app ecosystem, the OS is just like make up to cover up flaws. Just because it has android installed doesn't mean it can do anything else. Most android phones with less than 2 gbs freeze up when running even some basic apps but truth is the phone manufacturers don't care because they're designed for just the basic functions.

The reason the passport wouldn't function 100 percent on a 1gb hardware is because of the hypervisor lol or android runtime and the apps projected for it to run. I've used a lot of low capability android phones and they're recommended to be used as call phones. Totally different market from what current bb10 phones are designed for. To run android efficiently, you need upwards of 3gb of RAM. If blackberry licensed it's os, I'm sure phone designers can do to it what they're doing to android to market it at different price points. So totally different scenarios.

Posted via CB10
    The_Passporter likes this.
    02-07-17 06:39 AM
    Just because it has android installed doesn't mean it can do anything else. Most android phones with less than 2 gbs freeze up when running even some basic apps but truth is the phone manufacturers don't care because they're designed for just the basic functions.
    "Motorola Moto E 2nd Gen review: Performance

Fortunately, the rest of the phone has received several much-needed improvements since the original Moto E. Now that it supports 4G, the Moto E (2015) is powered by a faster quad-core 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 processor and 1GB of RAM, putting it on par with several mid-range phones such as the HTC Desire 620 which is twice as expensive. A cheaper 3G-only version of the handset uses a different, slower chipset; it's not available in the UK but beware if you see a cheap grey import.

With a SunSpider JavaScript score of 1,323ms and a PCMark score of 3,411, the 2nd Gen Moto E is very quick for such a cheap phone. Its document writing score of 4,844 in PCMark is also one of the best we've seen, so composing texts and editing emails should be lightning fast and extremely responsive. Web browsing was equally impressive, as we were able to load and scroll down web pages with hardly any lag whatsoever, and panning and zooming in were smooth and judder-free.

A faster processor usually means better graphics performance as well, and the Moto E was able to produce 23.1fps (or 5,344) in our 3DMark Ice Storm test. It will struggle with more complex 3D games as it only managed 15.5fps (or 2,511) in Ice Storm Extreme, but these scores are still roughly 5-7 frames faster than the original Moto E, and we were pleased to see an average of 44.8fps in Epic Citadel on Ultra High quality settings as well.

Our newer benchmark uses GFX Bench and the Moto E managed 394 frames (6.4fps) in the onscreen test, with 112 frames (1.8fps) in the offscreen test. Neither scores will set the world alight but the Moto E 2nd Gen will happily play more simplistic titles such as Threes! or Candy Crush Saga without too many issues. Gaming performance is significantly better compared to the similarly-priced*Samsung Galaxy J1, which was incapable of even completing the GFX Bench test."

------------------

BB10 cannot even provide a basic user experience at 1GB. It can barely load the OS.
    Last edited by conite; 02-07-17 at 07:36 AM.
    02-07-17 07:24 AM
    "Candy crush saga without too many issues lol" the playbook was running a 1ghz dual core processor with a 1ghz RAM while also being able to run converted android apps, multitask like we've never seen on android, and play gameloft titles. I don't think we give BlackBerry the due credit it deserves. The first good cheap android gaming tablet that didn't stutter lots was the nexus 7 old with its quadcore Tegra 3 processor.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-17 07:49 AM
    "Candy crush saga without too many issues lol" the playbook was running a 1ghz dual core processor with a 1ghz RAM while also being able to run converted android apps, multitask like we've never seen on android, and play gameloft titles. I don't think we give BlackBerry the due credit it deserves. The first good cheap android gaming tablet that didn't stutter lots was the nexus 7 old with its quadcore Tegra 3 processor.

Posted via CB10
    So frustrating.

The PlayBook was not running BB10, nor could it. That's the point.

Back to the original statement: BB10 requires less ram than Android. Still wrong.
    02-07-17 07:50 AM
    BB10 and playbook OS 2.0 are the same thing under the hood with minor UI configurations Conite come on, you know this. That's like me saying Marshmallow is not Nougat. If we're gonna talk android with the different flavors as one, we can talk about Blackberrys QNX OS as one too.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-17 07:54 AM
    BB10 and playbook OS 2.0 are the same thing under the hood with minor UI configurations Conite come on, you know this. That's like me saying Marshmallow is not Nougat. If we're gonna talk android with the different flavors as one, we can talk about Blackberrys QNX OS as one too.

Posted via CB10
    The basic core is similar, but the OSes are far different in terms of required resources. PlayBook OS is less than half the size.

The fact is, brand new Android devices are selling with 1GB of ram and perform decent enough that they are selling in the millions. BB10 cannot be scaled to provide any type of user experience on 1GB. Period. Full stop. That's what this is about.
    02-07-17 07:57 AM
    Whatttt? Lol there's a difference between Googles iteration of android to the market and what third party manufacturers choose to do with Googles OS. That's the basis of the Nexus and Pixel program. Google will never put current android on a 1gb phone just like blackberry refused to put bb10 on a 1ghz mobile processor with a 1gb RAM. Now, if licensed to profit seeking manufacturers...who don't care about user experience as much, you'd be surprised at what BB10 can become. I'm only using playbook os 2.0 running on a 1ghz 1gb hardware as a guide.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-17 08:10 AM
    Whatttt? Lol there's a difference between Googles iteration of android to the market and what third party manufacturers choose to do with Googles OS. That's the basis of the Nexus and Pixel program. Google will never put current android on a 1gb phone just like blackberry refused to put bb10 on a 1ghz mobile processor with a 1gb RAM. Now, if licensed to profit seeking manufacturers...who don't care about user experience as much, you'd be surprised at what BB10 can become. I'm only using playbook os 2.0 running on a 1ghz 1gb hardware as a guide.

Posted via CB10
    https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=K9Bo0QGQH8Y
    02-07-17 08:19 AM
    But the playbook is a tablet. Bigger 720p images to move in and out of memory. It's still not a good comparison.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    02-07-17 12:09 PM
    But the playbook is a tablet. Bigger 720p images to move in and out of memory. It's still not a good comparison.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    Size is irrelevant. It's the number of pixels you have to move around. The Playbook is only 600 by 1024.
    02-07-17 12:12 PM
    I have a Passport and an Android phone with 3 GB of ram. The Passport is a much superior phone compared to the android phone which always says it is out of memory and it keeps switching apps between phone storage and internal storage everytime an app updates. BB10 is the superior OS. Love my Passport

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    02-07-17 12:42 PM
    The basic core is similar, but the OSes are far different in terms of required resources. PlayBook OS is less than half the size.

The fact is, brand new Android devices are selling with 1GB of ram and perform decent enough that they are selling in the millions. BB10 cannot be scaled to provide any type of user experience on 1GB. Period. Full stop. That's what this is about.
    Yes they sell in the millions cause there is a much larger market for lower end phones in many poorer countries like India and China examples

Many don't need much or can't afford much

Posted via CB10
    02-07-17 12:57 PM
73 123