My uncle and I have had a huge tech rivalry. I was winning until.

I had an Xperia Z ultra and its snapdragon 800 used to rip my uncle's lumia 1320 to shreds. I used to tease him about how his phone was **** compared to mine.

Then i shifted to BlackBerry Z30 and was still happy because even the Z30 was faster than his phone and better in everyway.

He recently bought a BlackBerry Priv and its snapdragon 808 is much faster than my Z30 but not my overclocked Z ultra... he accuses me of cheating because i overclocked my cpu on the Z ultra and he cant root his Priv to do the same.

His teasing is getting on my nerve so i want a new phone.

Iam thinking about passport because i love BlackBerry 10 os... after z30 using an android phone feels disgusting.

I realise passport has a Snapdragon 801 which is no match for his 808 and 3 gb ram... he still has more battery and more megapixels on his camera.

so can anyone who has both tell me if priv actually is faster in day to day performance or not? is the camera actually better? Is the battery life actually better? I have used none of those in real life.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-17 09:16 AM
    It's pretty difficult to compare as they're running different os's.

To answer a couple:

Battery is better*on the passport. Camera is better on the priv.* As for what is faster - it's not going to be*easy to compare because I guess it depends on what you consider faster? Faster to send a text message? To browse a site? To use an app? Priv has the benefit of using all android apps which are constantly being updated whereas Passport is losing a lot of the native apps and may have the inability to use certain android apps going forward.
    02-04-17 09:41 AM
    My LG V20 is faster than any of those you mention.
    meattray and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    02-04-17 11:26 AM
    Both were almost equal at speed, As you might know BlackBerry and Windows OS will need less RAM or Processor speeds when compared to Android!

If you want Security, Battery Back up, Be different and doesn't need much apps, then go for BlackBerry Passport !

If you want security, Apps , Camera go for BlackBerry priv!

Posted via CB10
    02-05-17 12:44 PM
    Both were almost equal at speed, As you might know BlackBerry and Windows OS will need less RAM or Processor speeds when compared to Android!
    Posted via CB10
    Actually, Android can run quite well on only 1GB of ram, whereas BB10 struggles on 1.5GB.

OP, you have to precisely specify what you are wanting to do in order to make any kind of assessment of speed or efficiency.

DTEK60 / Z30
    02-05-17 02:42 PM
    Actually, Android can run quite well on only 1GB of ram, whereas BB10 struggles on 1.5GB.
    Yeah right...

To answer the original question, there's unfortunately no straight answer for this. Both have strong processors, and exceed well in different areas. If apps and camera capabilities are your main concern, you'd probably be happier with the Priv. Another thing to be aware of is the fact that specs on paper don't always translate well in real-world usage, because some devices are poorly optimized or not thoroughly tested. You did say that you loved the Z30 a lot, so if you aren't worried too much about apps and camera capabilities, then you'll be fine with the BlackBerry Passport, as long as you don't expect revolutionary updates to OS 10.
    02-05-17 08:20 PM
    I have more than 30 android apps on my passport and it doesn't stutter. And these apps are all I need. I've used an android phone for years and if it's possible to never go back I wouldn't. And I've used a lot from samsung flagships to China mods like the oukitel 10000 for battery life. I'm addicted to my passport and it's so sexy for 2017 I can't believe it came out in 2014. For other apps that I can't run like games that's where tablets come in.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-17 08:57 PM
    not worth ,why? the LCD so expensive . it will be 1/2 price of your new device

Posted via CB10
    02-05-17 09:18 PM
    Sorry about your phone! I've never tried to fix a broken lcd as they're sometimes not worth it so I just have a case full of phones with ruined lcds and USB ports. I'm beginning to take extreme measures to protect my devices and my passport now sports a new always in magnetic adapter for charging as I always break the USB ports, screen protector which I might double and a case. Just hopefully doesn't fall in while fishing or something. This needs to last. Still haven't justified getting an extra but we'll see.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-17 09:32 PM
  10. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    Sorry about your phone! I've never tried to fix a broken lcd as they're sometimes not worth it so I just have a case full of phones with ruined lcds and USB ports. I'm beginning to take extreme measures to protect my devices and my passport now sports a new always in magnetic adapter for charging as I always break the USB ports, screen protector which I might double and a case. Just hopefully doesn't fall in while fishing or something. This needs to last. Still haven't justified getting an extra but we'll see.

Posted via CB10
    you can use screen protector, i used too. but it isnt not strong what i see. it was fine condition ,not cracked but broken inside. oh sitt.. i tought so very strong if i choice SE ,but nothing,it same that cheap phone here with expensive element.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-17 09:39 PM
    Smoke his Priv with the DTEK60, hands down only the Priv's back camera may be slightly better.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-17 09:42 PM
    Well, as you have learned... when you ask a group like us for an opinion you'll get it...
    10 people will give you 10 different opinions.

Personally, I don't understand why people who have a BlackBerry HAVE to let people know they have one.
    I think it comes from a large group of humans born with brain damage.

Because, there comes an age when you should stop caring what kind of mobile device other people have and stop thinking anyone really cares what you use.
    That age is 11

This competition trip you have with your uncle is unhealthy and extremely immature . It's not about competition.. you like what you like and he likes what he likes. Because, other than throwing numbers at each other , I really don't believe either of you can tell any difference, because it would be only natural to leave the "child" rating behind and up the competition to at least a pre-teen game.

So unless there's a time limit and money involved, do something normal like so many people here do. Make the competition about what games play better on what device. It's as immature as what you're doing now, but it'll cost a lot less and you won't have to worry about it increasing your intelligence level to anything that may be helpful in the future.

Of course, this is just my opinion. . I really don't know much. And even if I did.. I wouldn't know what to do with it!
    john_v likes this.
    02-06-17 06:41 AM

so can anyone who has both tell me if priv actually is faster in day to day performance or not? is the camera actually better? Is the battery life actually better? I have used none of those in real life.

Posted via CB10
    If you are trying to win some tech battle with your uncle... you aren't going to do it by buying a 2-1/2 year old phone that wasn't "state of the art" when it was launced. Sounds like two 3rd world nations trying to one up each other using WWII surplus prop powered aircraft. You aren't going to beat him with a Passport..
    ppeters914 likes this.
    02-06-17 08:09 AM
    I realise passport has a Snapdragon 801 which is no match for his 808 and 3 gb ram... he still has more battery and more megapixels on his camera.

Hey someshkelkar3. Great question. With regards to battery life, the Blackberry Passport will beat the PRIV. The OS and CPU are less power hungry so it will definitely last longer. With regards to performance, Thats not really a fair comparison because they are completely different and run different operating systems. So you cant really compare, even if you load up the same App, one might be ported from Android to work on the Passport so performance will be slower out the gate. The Passport is definitely the best Blackberry 10 device, performance wise.
    meattray likes this.
    02-06-17 08:25 AM
    Mercury it is.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-17 09:48 AM
    Went a completely different direction in the end haha

Posted via CB10
    02-06-17 10:17 AM
    In 2020 and beyond.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    02-06-17 10:58 AM

I had an Xperia Z ultra and its snapdragon 800 used to rip my uncle's lumia 1320 to shreds. I used to tease him about how his phone was **** compared to mine.

Then i shifted to BlackBerry Z30 and was still happy because even the Z30 was faster than his phone and better in everyway.

He recently bought a BlackBerry Priv and its snapdragon 808 is much faster than my Z30 but not my overclocked Z ultra... he accuses me of cheating because i overclocked my cpu on the Z ultra and he cant root his Priv to do the same.

His teasing is getting on my nerve so i want a new phone.

Iam thinking about passport because i love BlackBerry 10 os... after z30 using an android phone feels disgusting.

Posted via CB10
    A passport should beat the z easy.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    02-06-17 11:00 AM

OP, you have to precisely specify what you are wanting to do in order to make any kind of assessment of speed or efficiency.

DTEK60 / Z30
    Funny that is the complete opposite of what was said on Android Central (recent episode). They said Android requires more ram to run smoothly and if you don't have more than 2 gigs of ram you will have a poor experience. Sorry but that is just not true Conite. Maybe if you install nothing at all and don't use it I suppose it may run fine on 2gigs. They said you need minimum 3 to 4 gigs for a decent experience. Only iPhone can run on 1 or 2 gigs of ram smoothly. They said that Android uses the RAM much more than iOS does and needs more period.

Believe it was podcast episode #323

Posted via CB10
    02-06-17 06:43 PM
    Funny that is the complete opposite of what was said on Android Central (recent episode). They said Android requires more ram to run smoothly and if you don't have more than 2 gigs of ram you will have a poor experience. Sorry but that is just not true Conite. Maybe if you install nothing at all and don't use it I suppose it may run fine on 2gigs. They said you need minimum 3 to 4 gigs for a decent experience. Only iPhone can run on 1 or 2 gigs of ram smoothly. They said that Android uses the RAM much more than iOS does and needs more period.

Believe it was podcast episode #323

Posted via CB10
    There are dozens upon dozens of Android devices out there with 1GB of ram - mostly running Kitkat, but the point is made.

Look at the 2015 Moto E (2nd Gen). It has 1GB ram and runs Marshmallow.

The Z3 barely functions on 1.5GB. And if you recall, BlackBerry was unable to scale BB10 down to run on the 1GB PlayBook.

This discussion has nothing to do with iOS.
    Last edited by conite; 02-06-17 at 07:07 PM.
    02-06-17 06:50 PM
    There are dozens upon dozens of Android devices out there with 1GB of ram - mostly running Kitkat, but the point is made.

Look at the 2015 Moto E (2nd Gen). It has 1GB ram and runs Marshmallow.

The Z3 barely functions on 1.5GB. And if you recall, BlackBerry was unable to scale BB10 down to run on the 1GB PlayBook.

This discussion has nothing to do with iOS.
    I'm just repeating a reputable source that you yourself recommended and they did not feel the need to specify what model phones more what version of Android. They made the comparison to iOS and said Android in general requires more RAM then other OS's. This was my belief and I think the fact that OEM's are offering Android phones with 4-6 gigs of RAM opposed to iOS's measly 2gigs says a lot

Let's not forget the Playbook came out when BB10 was in its infancy so not a fair comparison either.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-17 07:11 PM
    I'm just repeating a reputable source that you yourself recommended and they did not feel the need to specify what model phones more what version of Android. They made the comparison to iOS and said Android in general requires more RAM then other OS's. This was my belief and I think the fact that OEM's are offering Android phones with 4-6 gigs of RAM opposed to iOS's measly 2gigs says a lot

Let's not forget the Playbook came out when BB10 was in its infancy so not a fair comparison either.

Posted via CB10
    1GB ram on Android is not flagship performance, but is very usable, as I myself have seen. TrustedReviews gave the Moto E 2 a rating of 9/10.

The PlayBook is essentially the same hardware as the Z10STL100-1 and could run BB10 quite fine - except for the memory limitation.
    02-06-17 07:21 PM
    1GB ram on Android is not flagship performance, but is very usable, as I myself have seen. TrustedReviews gave the Moto E 2 a rating of 9/10.

The PlayBook is essentially the same hardware as the Z10STL100-1 and could run BB10 quite fine - except for the memory limitation.
    "1GB ram on Android is not flagship performance, but is very usable," so your saying as long as you don't do much or more than one thing at a time?
    I hear it was a good low end phone and that's what that is. Low end.
    Again what they were referring to was the comparison from flagship phones from other OS's (Apple/Windows 10 phones/Android) not different models of the same line.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-17 07:30 PM
    "1GB ram on Android is not flagship performance, but is very usable," so your saying as long as you don't do much or more than one thing at a time?
    I hear it was a good low end phone and that's what that is. Low end.
    Again what there were referring to was the comparison of flagship phones from other OS's (Apple/Windows 10 phones) not different models of the same line.

Posted via CB10
    Look. I was refuting a statement that BB10 could run on less memory.

This is clearly not the case, as 1GB is very functional on Android and impossible on BB10.

Low end Android versus "no end" BB10.

That's all I need to say on the matter. You are moving the goal posts on this discussion in a way that's not relevant.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-06-17 07:31 PM
    Look. I was refuting a statement that BB10 could run on less memory.

This is clearly not the case, as 1GB is very functional on Android and impossible on BB10.

That's all I will say on the matter.
    Again your comparison of 1 gig on BB10 on the Playbook was in its infancy and hasn't had updates or refinement over a 6 or 7 year period like Android. I feel your comparison is just a cheap jab at BB10 and a poor one.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-17 07:34 PM
73 123