11-30-14 10:13 AM
87 1234
tools
    The superior product came first, the public materialistic success followed.

Posted via CB10
    In 2007 when the iPhone was released it was FAR from a "superior produce." In fact it was highly flawed. I still have my wife's original iPhone. Apple didn't even start to get it really right until the 3GS, and the process continues today.
    11-23-14 10:02 AM
    OP, you asked two different questions.

The title of the thread.... "Is BlackBerry the new Apple?"
    No, not really. Or maybe you could say BlackBerry is the old Apple.

Then you're OP asked:

"Is the new Blackberry now the go-to for the more "highly informed" prosumer?"
    Different question entirely.

Answer: Yes. It's always been the go-to for the more "highly informed prosumer" as well as the highly productive one. That doesn't mean that BlackBerry is the new Apple.
    11-23-14 10:08 AM
    Apple has shown that to be on top you have to be good at software, design, marketing, advertising, PR, customer service, hardware, finance and supply chain management. The company which supplants Apple ( there will be one) will have to be great at all of these things.

BlackBerry has a long, long way to go to be good at all of these things. They all matter, and they each require great people with great skill.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    ubizmo and MikeX74 like this.
    11-23-14 10:09 AM
    BlackBerry needs their own Reality Distortion Field. I hear Cupertino is not using theirs anymore.
    chinmay007 likes this.
    11-23-14 10:11 AM
    That's a big ol' negative there bud

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 10:13 AM
    Apple has shown that to be on top you have to be good at software, design, marketing, advertising, PR, customer service, hardware, finance and supply chain management. The company which supplants Apple ( there will be one) will have to be great at all of these things.

BlackBerry has a long, long way to go to be good at all of these things. They all matter.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Mostly marketing, advertising, PR. That's the key difference. They made clever, simple ads and created an image of a lifestyle that people should have (despite all it's shortcomings that they don't ever acknoweldge). That's how they got big enough to be good at all the other things you listed. Get enough sales, you get enough money, you can get better at everything else.

BB's biggest weakness has always been marketing. They've never had to do it. They were the only game in town. Once they did have to market to compete, they didn't know how. They can't seem to explain their key advantages. They can't create an image. They can't appeal to the average person who never considered a smart phone before. Only Samsung has been able to chip away at Apple with it's sarcastic ads that poke at Apple culture and point out things that people can escape or just do better....if they would just get rid of their Iphone.
    ponpiri likes this.
    11-23-14 10:21 AM
    In the mid 2000's Blackberry commanded over half of the smartphone market and peaked at 56 percent which is higher than Apple or Samsung achieved. They may never get to those levels again, but they can be a relevant player.
    Regarding apps, I use very few of them, preferring to use the web directly for all my banking, stocks, and even Crackberry usage.
    There is no phone that runs direct web applications as well as the Passport. Because security is of utmost importance to me and my company I use an enterprise server and am confident that Blackberry provides the best end to end security in the industry.
    Will Blackberry ever become the new Apple? It is highly doubtful because the the general public does not place a high value on the functions that Blackberry does best.
    I believe that john Chen is bringing Blackberry back to its roots and is positioning it for long term sustainability and profitably.

Posted via CB10
    Geselskap and PonyCrazyKid like this.
    11-23-14 10:51 AM
    In the mid 2000's Blackberry commanded over half of the smartphone market and peaked at 56 percent which is higher than Apple or Samsung achieved. They may never get to those levels again, but they can be a relevant player.
    Don't forget, the overall size of the smartphone market was much smaller then. It was only people willing to spend more on a data plan (nearly double the normal phone bill at the time), people in business, who needed email, etc, etc. Apple created something that got ALL of those other people to spend that extra money, even if they didn't need to be connected 24/7. Apple created a NEW market. BlackBerry still had it's own market size for a while, as Apple simply got different people to buy in.

BUT, after a while, eventually BB people defected to Apple (and then android) as BB didn't move fast enough to provide those other "neat" features that the BlackBerry users employees or 13 yr old daughters got.

Now, BB still has a lot of those same people it did before Apple ever came around, it's just that the smartphone market is so much more huge now that BB's share is proportionately much smaller overall. Add that to the people in that share that left, and you have BB's position today.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    11-23-14 11:00 AM
    Do not understand the "media bashing".... BB up to a year ago deserved all the bad press it got.... with the company being run into the ground by successive bad management... they deserved to be held account..... We need to take the rose coloured glasses off and face facts.... BB got to where they are by their own business practices... now they are coming back... the media is actually starting to pick up on it.... if Chen does what he says ... the tide will turn as everyone love a comeback story... if it fails then it only supports what the general view is now... remember it was not the media that killed BB in the consumer market... it was the consumer.... BB did not keep and were left behind... once you are left behind in the consumer market... it is a tough road back... are there media sites that bash... sure... as there are for all platforms... been on a number of Android oriented sites that do not have kind things to say about the competition... just part of the game.....
    11-23-14 11:40 AM
    Unfortunately no haha. Apple always has a reputation as being a company that made elegant products that the majority couldn't even afford. BlackBerry is just a niche business company that's nowhere near apple

Posted via CB10 for Passport
    11-23-14 01:30 PM
    Is BlackBerry the new Apple? Not today they aren't. They are still floundering around while the competition beats them to market currently.

Can they be the next big thing in Tech?

That all depends on how well they execute in new verticals. Can they actually leverage existing QNX Neutrino deployments in field to capture new business with Project Ion? Can they really be a major software and service force in the Automotive and healthcare sectors? Can they continue to dominate in secure device management and enterprise mobility management in an increasingly competitive market?

Basically, if BlackBerry can grow it's new businesses and capture a leading position in a few growth industries, then maybe then they will be a big enough tech giant to afford to compete on a level playing field with the likes of Apple, Google, and Microsoft in consumer smart phones. I doubt it though because they would need a consumer facing ecosystem. They seem to have abandoned all consumer focused services and software not called BBM. Since they no longer are putting resources towards even a rudimentary set of consumer focused services they will have a tough choice down the road if they want back into the consumer game. Either build up new services from scratch or start buying up 3rd services that compete with the offerings from Apple, Google, and Microsoft, to build an ecosystem and make the platform sticky enough to retain non-enterprise customers. Relying on a 3rd party like Amazon for consumer services is a totally worthless strategy with no long term hope for success. It's a short sighted band-aid solution at best. At worst, it will keep BlackBerry out of the consumer market forever.
    11-23-14 01:33 PM
    Let's not try to look for Apple wanna be stories. Apple was apple back in the day and made its comeback for different factors, none can be identified in today's reality. BlackBerry's focus is different, competing on a different market and focus. It's a completely different story.
    Only thing I can think of is "the come back story". But it won't be, it's a different scenario.

BlackBerry is BlackBerry, and it's intending to reposition itself in a different market an regrow their business and become a major player in security and IoT, crossing different verticals while doing that (messaging, M2M, mobile communications, etc.).

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 01:53 PM
    No way can BlackBerry become like Apple. They only have one product, a phone. Today, you need breadth and depth to compete on a large scale. Even Microsoft is having trouble breaking through and they have a long track record and a nice phone (which I also use).

I like BlackBerry but if their phones ever gained any traction in the marketplace, all a rival would have to do is launch a keyboard-based device and then one of BlackBerry's strongest selling points goes away.

It is nice to have a unique and niche device except that developers will not create apps for niche users. Hopefully, someone (BlackBerry or third party) can develop a workaround to increase Google app compatibility. Many apps that require Google Play services will not run properly (if at all).

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry is not a phone manufacturer anymore. Where have you been all this month's while this was discussed?

And BTW, apple is not just phones, it's computers, iPad and A LOT of services surrounding those devices to make every customer dependable on them, and harder to loose it. The more services you get from one company, the harder it is for you to leave them.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 01:56 PM
    I think the "new" Blackberry is now the "old" blackberry again, the old blackberry before the Iphone took the market
    app_Developer and Matt Jude like this.
    11-23-14 07:50 PM
    The Apple devotees were smug back in the day because they knew their product was very good. They had reason to be, because they were right.

Here we are today with the media bashing Blackberry at every possible opportunity, yet reviews from users and informed experts alike all give the Passport as good a rating based on any criteria, as can be earned.

Is the new Blackberry now the go-to for the more "highly informed" prosumer?
    1. Apple products aren't "very good" - they're just by far the best at marketing to make you believe it. They're better than they were sure, but there are many reasons they aren't very good too!

2. BlackBerry is associated with productivity and work. The passport embodies that and restores them to that foundation. Prosumer perhaps.

The rating from me is that BlackBerry Passport is spot on. It's got a target audience and hits it perfectly.

Posted via CB10
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    11-23-14 08:59 PM
    People get swayed by brands, there are a lot of players in the market, I think bb represents good value, but then apple can afford to be greedy. Their brand power could sell a million loaves of bread on pre order.
    Geselskap and PonyCrazyKid like this.
    11-23-14 10:08 PM
    At one point, Apple was at Death's Door, in danger of failure. Microsoft threw Apple a lifeline so as to protect itself from being judged a monopoly. That saved Apple from bankruptcy, and the products they developed after the return of Steve Jobs led them to where they are now. Is BlackBerry in that position now? Time will tell, but it could be the case. The new products are really forward thinking and innovative.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 10:43 PM
    I think the "new" Blackberry is now the "old" blackberry again, the old blackberry before the Iphone took the market
    Agreed, my Z30 takes me back to my 9900 days of streamlined productivity and fluidness. But even before then, my 8520 was still top of the shelf for what i needed it for. Missing the hardware keyboard though. Might go for the Classic.
    11-24-14 02:56 AM
    BlackBerry is the new Apple? BlackBerry needs to just keep being the new BlackBerry
    MikeX74 and andy957 like this.
    11-24-14 03:48 AM
    Scorned by the media and popular masses, yet empowered by knowing the device and software is superior to the competition.

The Apple devotees were smug back in the day because they knew their product was very good. They had reason to be, because they were right.

Here we are today with the media bashing Blackberry at every possible opportunity, yet reviews from users and informed experts alike all give the Passport as good a rating based on any criteria, as can be earned.

Is the new Blackberry now the go-to for the more "highly informed" prosumer?

Discuss amongst yourselves.....

Posted via CB10
    Nice speech but na...

BB still has a very very very long road ahead and I wish them all the best.
    ponpiri likes this.
    11-24-14 03:59 AM
    Being from the USA where the brand is all but dead here, I really like having a BlackBerry passport here now. Every time I pull the device out or set it on the table when in a cafe or restaurant, I always get a comment like "what the hell is that".

It's very cool to have a unique niche device here now when all I see is boring iPhone and Galaxy devices everywhere I go. I have went through the iPhone and Android phase and I am glad I came back to BlackBerry.

I am allot more productive now when the primary use for my device is email, messaging and social media and I could never live without the Hub again.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    You hit it on the head. Blackberry is a joke in the US. I am one of 2 people out of let's says the 100+ people that I know that have a blackberry. I think the passport was a chance for blackberry to announce that we are still here and make awesome phones. The number 1 reason I hear people left blackberry from those I talk to is screen size. They were tired of little screens. Man the passport could have swayed a lot of people. Look at what we have though months after it being on the market not one American carrier has the phone. Sad but this is why blackberry will stay behind.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 07:41 AM
    BlackBerry is not a phone manufacturer anymore. Where have you been all this month's while this was discussed?

And BTW, apple is not just phones, it's computers, iPad and A LOT of services surrounding those devices to make every customer dependable on them, and harder to loose it. The more services you get from one company, the harder it is for you to leave them.

Posted via CB10
    Of course BlackBerry is still primarily a phone (and phone OS) manufacturer. As you said in your second paragraph, BlackBerry has no ecosystem. Where is their desktop software, their cloud services, their music app, their search engine, mapping solution? I don't consider their BES server or their Blend/link software as a presence on the desktop.

Believe me, I like BlackBerry and actually wish they would gain a dominant marketing position. To me, their keyboard is their only differentiator. Yes, their OS is nice and supposedly more secure but the lack of apps and developer interest offset that advantage.
    andy957 likes this.
    11-24-14 07:54 AM
    Regarding apps, I use very few of them, preferring to use the web directly for all my banking, stocks, and even Crackberry usage.
    There is no phone that runs direct web applications as well as the Passport. Because security is of utmost importance to me and my company I use an enterprise server and am confident that Blackberry provides the best end to end security in the industry.
    Will Blackberry ever become the new Apple? It is highly doubtful because the the general public does not place a high value on the functions that Blackberry does best.
    I believe that john Chen is bringing Blackberry back to its roots and is positioning it for long term sustainability and profitably.

Posted via CB10
    I know this is off topic as far as this thread is concerned, but...

How is battery usage when running direct web applications compared to running BB10 or Android applications? Is this a relevant question?
    11-24-14 12:12 PM
    Good luck with that.
    11-24-14 01:32 PM
    The answer is NO!... I love my Q10, I rarely see BlackBerry around here in US, particularly here in San Jose CA. Good neighbor of Cupertino. Anyways, Being dominated by apple and android, who would steal a BlackBerry. Hehe

" Initiated from my QNX10 "
    11-24-14 02:38 PM
87 1234