The OP fantasizes about the possibility of about some grand BlackBerry comeback in the consumer space. The fact of the matter is BlackBerry is admittedly moving away from that space. The Passport is a well-engineered device that's innovative in its own right. But it's designed for a niche market...enterprise. It will not resurrect BlackBerry as a consumer brand.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    11-24-14 01:43 PM
    I'd say yes, but BlackBerry's customer service is too unwieldy, and the quality control is too poor.

Otherwise, yes. BlackBerry is becoming a bit of a cool company, an underdog, and is actually getting good press. Innovative, no doubt, and a more agile company than in years past. Still have a ways to go however.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 01:53 PM
    haha i know we all want BB to do well/better, but how about we let them get a few hit devices on the market before we start even trying to compare them to Apple. Theyr'e going to need a whole lot more than one device that sells a few hundred thousand before we can start making that talk. They are off to a great start under Chen though
    11-24-14 02:26 PM
    Blackberry is the new Apple..?
    No. But, they don't need to be.
    ponpiri likes this.
    11-24-14 06:05 PM
    Only time can tell for sure.
    11-24-14 07:11 PM
    I agree with every part except the Amazon partnership. I think its a brilliant idea. Amazon has everything but phones, where they flopped big this year with the fire phone. BlackBerry has phones, awesome phones. Combine the two in a seamless ecosystem and they may gain traction. Amazon is the ultimate consumer portal, looking to get into the mobile market. They may be what BlackBerry needs when they are ready to take on the consumer market once again. The partnership will never be Apple, but then again I left Apple for a reason.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-24-14 07:47 PM
    Even the iPhone realizes it can't compete with the new Blackberry's. The sad reality is that the States will need every ounce of talent from BlackBerry's new crew to correct the perception problem. I have faith it may happen, but it will take longer than anyone here would care to admit.
    BlackBerry - the new Apple?-img_1416870207491.jpg

'BB POWERED' C001C1D66
    11-24-14 08:29 PM
    Blackberry has gone back to its base -- customers who need actual secure devices.

Can thank Ed Snowden for that.

It's a base to build out from again -- the path is there. But yes, it'll take time. Lots of time.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    ponpiri likes this.
    11-24-14 08:42 PM
    I don't want Blackberry to be the new Apple, and here is why.

When Apple relasese a new iOS, such as iOS 8, the iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5s all start having some really weird glitchy issues. But it always concurs with Apple updating their iOS and servers. And I'm not talking about the glitches new iPhone 6 users experience, which is inexcusable. But old hardware is intentionally bogged down to create an unfavorable user experience so that customers feel like they HAVE to upgrade to get back to that great user experience. There is nothing wrong with the old hardware, and many wish they could get the experience they had out of the box. Anyone that's been with Apple or Android for more than 3 generations of any phone will recognize the pattern. Android is just more upfront about it, as they tell you your device is no longer supported. You are their "installed base", a customer group they can exploit every couple of years in a very unsustainable fashion.

Now I have no problem with enticing your customers to upgrade because of innovation and a new shiny product, but you don't sell 10 million devices a weekend doing that. You sell 10 million by ensuring that 6 million people are frustrated with their phones and "convinced" it's old and broken.

Now take a look at BlackBerry. They have taken care of their Bold 9900 users, acknowledging customer demand. They only stopped making the 9900 when there was a decent replacement in the Qla99ic. They are trying to sell devices through innovation and an excellent product, not just one step better. They also don't fix what isn't broken, and listen to their customers on what that is. Mind you I'm talking about BlackBerry of Today, not of yesteryear.

Anyone that uses their Z10, Q10, or Z30 today and bought them on release will tell you that their phone works better today than it did out of the box with BlackBerry 10.2 or 10.3. They are selling these devices at awesome prices, and I can actually recommend them to friends or buy as presents because they will work, and impress anyone who handles them. Would I buy a discounted iPhone 5 for a friend, knowing that they will ask why it doesn't work right? No. What you're seeing from BlackBerry is the closest to customer loyalty you will see from a corporation. Blackberry needs you, and they know that. Apple doesn't need you, and they know that as well. I would never want Blackberry to become anything like Apple.

Posted via CB10
    clickitykeys, Cesare21 and iamagod like this.
    11-25-14 09:18 AM
    The mobile processor speed race is about as aggressive as you can get so I don't think it's a surprise that the older devices get laggy when the OS gets updated.

Obviously, there's still some value in these older iPhones as you can trade them in for a lot more than you can other older devices. Just ask Blackberry.

BlackBerry - the new Apple?-iphone-6-processor-speed-650.jpg
    11-25-14 10:29 AM
    Even the iPhone realizes it can't compete with the new Blackberry's. The sad reality is that the States will need every ounce of talent from BlackBerry's new crew to correct the perception problem. I have faith it may happen, but it will take longer than anyone here would care to admit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1416870207491.jpg 
Views:	850 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	316739

'BB POWERED' C001C1D66
    Toy vs. Tool, nice one...

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 10:58 AM
    The mobile processor speed race is about as aggressive as you can get so I don't think it's a surprise that the older devices get laggy when the OS gets updated.

Obviously, there's still some value in these older iPhones as you can trade them in for a lot more than you can other older devices. Just ask Blackberry.

Name:	iphone-6-processor-speed-650.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	316848
    BB10 Phones don't get laggy when installing 10.2 or 10.3. You can write the OS to do what you tell it too. That's Apples biggest response to why they only included 1GB of Ram in their latest generation. Question is, how do they write that software and for what purpose? Also you can drop the device from being eligible for the upgrade, like they did for the 1st Gen iPad staying on 5.1.1. The average consumer when seeing "update available" never expects a decrease in performance for a few new gimmicky apps or display features. They think the update will be an improvement and therefore fall into the trap. The trap Apple sets for their own customers.

It's my own personal belief that iPhone users are going to have to upgrade more frequently for that same fast user experience they get to enjoy with the new purchase. Apple is tapering off their hardware advancement while also increasing software requirements within their iOS. End user's frustration will be recognized sooner and sooner. Goodluck trading in your phone lease when there are mass glitches the mobile partners are aware of. Fineprint on all those upgrade leasing plans states that the phone must be in perfect condition. Sound issues and battery glitches disqualify, as well as bent frames.

Oh, while I think BlackBerry buyback strategy is brilliant, I highly doubt they are doing it for iPhone resale value. What they do with the returned merchandise is their business, but I doubt it's to resale on ebay. With their focus on enterprise, I think they are doing everything they can to free the wallhugging iSlaves, starting in that market first.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 11:47 AM
    My partner has an iPhone 5 and he made the unfortunate mistake of upgrading his software. Pairing his device to Bluetooth was always sort of tricky but now it's next to impossible. He calls my BlackBerry the **** because it hooks up with everything every time without fail! He was considering upgrading to an iPhone 6+ but when he saw one he said it's as wide as your phone but it's tall too. It's just too big. So his solution is to buy a regular iphone 6 with 64g, and get an ipad mini when the phone is too small.

Oh yes, there is an iMac Air in the mix too. So the phone gets worse with each update, won't pair with his car or his Bose Soundlink and in his mind, the best way to solve this is to spend $1000+ on 2 devices.

Now the game changer would be if Blend worked on the entire phone and all the apps with the ability to switch to desktop applications where needed. (docs to go vs full MSoffice).

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 06:42 PM

Name:	IMG_1416870207491.jpg 
Views:	850 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	316739

'BB POWERED' C001C1D66
    Don't start this crap, that joke died years ago.
    11-26-14 03:01 AM
    BlackBerry is definitely rising from the coma and they are getting back on it's feet.

But for the new customers they will get back, will be definitely slower than how it lost them for Apple/Android
    11-26-14 03:28 AM
    Have you heard that you can exchange used iphone to New passport?
    11-26-14 04:58 AM
    Unless the kids start carrying them to be ironic.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, if keyboards are like vinyl records, then the capacitive keyboard on the Passport...

On track, I doubt it. Prosumers (if you define them as those who use their devices mostly for work) would have stuck with BlackBerry anyhow, even if BBOS was still around. iOS is a great all-round OS, but I had several incidents of frustration during the few weeks when I had an iPhone as a work loaner.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    11-26-14 08:27 AM
    Don't start this crap, that joke died years ago.
    If it started years ago, how can I start it?
    At anyrate, after using the iPhone 6, it has never been more apparent that their build quality feels cheap in comparison to the Passport. If you can't get the correlation to the post topic, so sorry.

'BB POWERED' C001C1D66
    Last edited by xBURK; 11-28-14 at 01:02 AM.
    11-27-14 09:10 PM
    If it started years ago, how can I start it?
    At anyrate, after using the iPhone 6, it has never been more apparent that their build quality feels cheap in comparison to the Passport. If you can't get the correlation to the post topic, so sorry.

'BB POWERED' C001C1D66
    I said that joke died years ago not started....
    11-28-14 01:44 AM
    I said that joke died years ago not started....
    It's not a joke.

'BB POWERED' C001C1D66
    11-28-14 02:18 AM
    It's not a joke.

'BB POWERED' C001C1D66
    The iPhone is a phone not a toy, get your facts in check.
    Rello likes this.
    11-28-14 02:26 AM
    The iPhone is a phone not a toy, get your facts in check.
    No need. I had one. In comparison, there is no contest. BB10 and the Passport blow it away in my findings. Read the Thread title. I'm only answering the question and giving my view. We are allowed to do that right?

'BB POWERED' C001C1D66
    Last edited by xBURK; 11-28-14 at 08:35 PM.
    spikesolie likes this.
    11-28-14 11:54 AM
    Why should BlackBerry aim for becoming the next Apple? I'd love to see BlackBerry grow into the Enterprise market and keep their DNA.

Infinite Loop is pretty much Redmond these days with a load of flaws in iOS and Yosemite. Don't wanna see BBRY following them.

FWIW

Posted via CB10 using an awesome Passport
    11-28-14 12:10 PM
    At least BlackBerry once a trend setter for qwerty handset

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 12:22 PM
    Why should BlackBerry aim for becoming the next Apple? I'd love to see BlackBerry grow into the Enterprise market and keep their DNA.

Infinite Loop is pretty much Redmond these days with a load of flaws in iOS and Yosemite. Don't wanna see BBRY following them.

FWIW

Posted via CB10 using an awesome Passport
    Then BlackBerry user should satisfied only with limited app, and won't be able to grab larger market share

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 12:24 PM
87 1234