I think BlackBerry is in the right direction to be successful, but for some reason they still haven't addressed their biggest problem.

If you have a great product that no one knows about, or if they do know about it can't get it, what's the point?

The Passport is something that I am considering upgrading from my Z10 and was hoping to see some similar version released on Verizon Wireless in the USA.

So I go to do what most people do, I go to a large AT&T store in NJ To check it out. But guess what I find?

The Sales people don't know anything about it, don't have 1 sample of it, don't know when it's coming in or if it will ever come in. O.K., yes I figure that I just hit a store (largest one in my area) that has bad management or all employees are stupid.

So I go to another store. I'll see if there instead. No big deal, I'm on Verizon so I can't get it now anyway. So I ask the Salesman do you have a Passport that I can look at.

He says "yeah, that's a really nice phone. A customer came in the other day with one and its pretty impressive."
    So again I ask "so do you have one out that I can look at?"
    He says, "No. I'm pretty sure we didn't order any."
    So when do you think you will get some in, I ask?
    He says, "I don't think that they ever plan to order it and doubt that we will ever get it in"

So I say O.K. and leave shaking my head in disbelief.

So can someone out there explain to me how BlackBerry can survive if they give an exclusive to a Carrier and don't even discuss the terms for its release including actually having to both carry and promote it's release in all its stores?

If no advertisements and no POP Promotions and no inventory how does that work?

I don't get it...

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 09:04 AM
    I feel the same. I am hopelessly upset there are no plans announced or otherwise for the Classic or Passport to come to Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 09:13 AM
    I'm with T-Mobile and when I was looking to switch to a Q10 from the iPhone, I went to my regular guy at the T-Mobile store and asked if he had it.
    He did, the last one, but it was sealed and wouldn't let me open it to play around with it for a minute. He also told me that T-Mobile is doing away with BlackBerry forever unless something changes.

Before I went back and bought the Q10 from him, I had to call probably 10+ stores (AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile) in my area till I found one with the Q10 on display so I could just check it out for a moment.

I've heard that the Passport will be coming to AT&T (or maybe Verizon?) sometime in 2015.
    Most people here will tell you, "oh BlackBerry is focused on business, not individual blahblahblah" but I disagree with them and agree with you. This phone is truly a viable phone for the individual.
    I mean, persoanlly, I wear skinny jeans and the size of this beast was a huge, "idk" factor, but it isn't at all.

I think if a few people had access to it, and most people dont because they dont know about this phone, they would consider it, and BlackBerry would gain some popularity/momentum
    We'll see how it plays out
    Evindzer likes this.
    11-17-14 09:14 AM
    Most of the distribution systems in place are for consumer products.

BlackBerry doesn't make products that appeal to mainstream consumers.... So going forward, direct sales via Amazon or Digital River are what most non enterprise customers are going to have to use for BlackBerry devices (that if they start carrying CDMA devices).

Even the Classic that should be at both AT&T and Verizon will not see big displays up front, it won't see banner all over the store nor will there be TV ads from either of these promoting the return to the "classic" BlackBerry - as most people just want to forget about those things. Will be interesting to see how the carrier even do the subsidizing... as the old BBOS devices didn't see much discounting as they were primarily enterprise devices.

But selling smartphones isn't really a requirement for BlackBerry to survive.... not sure if it's even a long term plan.
    11-17-14 09:23 AM
    I didn't think that it was carrier released in the US anyway. The rest of the world wants it, except the US carriers. You will have to buy it direct from Blackberry. Cheaper in the long run anyway.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    11-17-14 09:30 AM
    Man! The OP post is nearly my exact thoughts!

I want a 5" device, ...as my next upgrade from my Z10. I'd love a Z30,...or the rumored Z50,...or may consider the Passport, but like the OP has come to know, how the hell can we loyal BlackBerry users stay the course if we can't get new devices!

The good news coming from Waterloo now is that Samsung devices will gain some sort of better security as a result of their new relationship with BlackBerry! That's good,...as I, like many may be forced to go Sammy as a last resort.

Edit: Black Friday is nearly here and not one new BlackBerry is available in the U.S. I find that to be amazing!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 09:35 AM
    Man! The OP post is nearly my exact thoughts!

I want a 5" device, ...as my next upgrade from my Z10. I'd love a Z30,...or the rumored Z50,...or may consider the Passport, but like the OP has come to know, how the hell can we loyal BlackBerry users stay the course if we can't get new devices!

The good news coming from Waterloo now is that Samsung devices will gain some sort of better security as a result of their new relationship with BlackBerry! That's good,...as I, like many may be forced to go Sammy as a last resort. Screw the carriers.

Edit: Black Friday is nearly here and not one new BlackBerry is available in the U.S. I find that to be amazing!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    What is stopping you from buying from the ShopBackberry site? The US carriers won't release phones that they don't want to sell. Nothing Blackberry can do about them. They made it so you can purchase directly.
    11-17-14 09:41 AM
    I understand what you are saying about focusing on Corporate.

But still, if you are offering to sell it through a Carrier to the end-user (public), it's Marketing 101, make sure your customers both know about it and make sure it's available.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 09:49 AM
    What is stopping you from buying from the ShopBackberry site? The US carriers won't release phones that they don't want to sell. Nothing Blackberry can do about them. They made it so you can purchase directly.
    Because, most people are too financially strapped to pay outright for the device, but yet they want the device. I agree, totally dumb, but it is what it is. I myself cant really afford to shell out 600-750 for a device either so I look forward to the carrier subsidy.

Personally, I feel BlackBerry should set shop in Amazon, have their devices listed on and shipped from Amazon with Authorized distributors.

And once that is established, BlackBerry can say, we have OS ????? ready for distribution. Let's blast a pin message and get our users to launch Link. I would forgo the OTA till carriers get on board and learn that BlackBerry is going to be around and they might as well accept it.
    keepit dry likes this.
    11-17-14 09:50 AM
    BlackBerry may be limited to forcing AT&T to release the phones. It could be that they were the only carrier willing to carry them. So they will release when they are willing. If so I think BLACKBERRY should come out and make it known to all.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 09:52 AM
    It would be nice to touch, try, see if I like it (or maybe wait for the Classic or other future phone) and see if it fits in my pocket before I order online. Don't need to be stuck with a phone for 2 years that I need to carry a man-bag for.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 09:53 AM
    It would be nice to touch, try, see if I like it (or maybe wait for the Classic or other future phone) and see if it fits in my pocket before I order online. Don't need to be stuck with a phone for 2 years that I need to carry a man-bag for.

Posted via CB10
    Have you got an actual passport? If so, take it out, hold it, put it in your pocket etc. This should give you a VERY good feeling for the device. This is what I did before I bought from Shopblackberry. I really don't consider it that large really. It fits in my pockets, no problem.
    11-17-14 10:12 AM
    Well, I have read or watched the Passport review and all of reviewers say it fits in pocket. I'm in the USA still waiting for AT&T to releases the Passport. I have a feeling that AT&T will releases at the same time when BlackBerry releases the Blackberry Classic in middle of December, 2014.
    11-17-14 10:19 AM
    Yeah I am waiting for att and still waiting. They are taking forever.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 10:39 AM
    mine fits in my jean's pocket, or shirt pocket. I bought a generic case at one of those kiosk in the mall that fits on your belt. The case is slightly bigger than the PP but it fits in ok. I am waiting for a decent case that the phone will snap in to and then I will buy one. I don't want a case that you have to peel off a sticky paper to attach your phone to the case.
    11-17-14 11:00 AM
    I think that it was mentioned already somewhere in this forum that Passport would be available at AT&T early 2015. Since the Passport is not designed to work on CDMA, and that BBRY and T-Mobile are not working together, there is only AT&T left.
    But I do agree that BBRY should work on how the handsets are being delivered.
    11-17-14 11:45 AM
    I would purchase Passport from shopblackberry or Amazon but coma VZW version does not exist. It would be nice to see one in store but that isn't my concern as this point.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 11:46 AM
    11-17-14 11:54 AM
    It's funny as well! I had a Similiar experience here in Vancouver BC. I went downtown to a few Rogers wireless stores and nobody knew when it was coming or if stock was ordered or not! This was the day after the official launch of the device. Some sales agents didn't even know what it was and 2 agents said that BlackBerry Went out of business and they will never get any BlackBerry devices.
    Evindzer and mfurman like this.
    11-17-14 01:00 PM
    i think BB addressed this problem! the US is not a strong market for them, so they are trying somewhere else. with todays new of appointing global sales leader, it may get a little better. but i think they saw this, and addressed it..
    11-17-14 01:02 PM
    Unless BB makes enough of a turn around to impress the carriers I would not expect to see many devices released that way..... seeing how the carriers have treated BB products in the past couple of years.... abject neglect... staff lying about the company either going out or gone out of business..... pushing other product even when the customer asks for a BB.... why should BB support any of this.... makes more sense to go the Passport way... make enough units to at least break even and a bit more... if it is a success make more.... If BB has another inventory collapse like the first BB10 devices Enterprise will for sure view them as a dead duck... and then there will be know devices to make threads about.....
    11-17-14 01:25 PM
    I know that sometimes you need to cut your losses, but not convinced that abandoning the US and Canada Retail market is the right move.

Yeah its not got the hype of its competitors and doesn't sell with the same volumes. But I don't think BlackBerry can walk away from any businesses it already has. They are already making the phone, so why not continue to sell it at retail along with corporate. It's just $ icing for them. Like I keep telling my wife, if I am covering all the bills and you get any job (can be McDonald's for all I care), that's real disposable income so that we can afford to go out and have some fun.
    In BlackBerry's case, money that can be used for further development.

Not to mention, someone like me who has no need to use for corporate and just wants a great productive phone, not an Apple toy will be less willing to support BlackBerry when / if my company does need phones for its enterprise.

Don't alienate your core base of loyal customers.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 01:33 PM
    This is BlackBerry inherent issue with having built it's core business off of corporate sales, and in turn trying to use this legacy model in the consumer marketplace.

It doesn't, nor will it work. Unless BlackBerry plans to spend some serious money to correct it then nothing will change.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 01:42 PM
    I have been saying this in the USA for a while now. My carrier T Mobile is no longer licensed to sell Blackberry devices anymore and the sales folks do nothing but tell folks the brand is dead and no one uses them anymore.

So going to them for anything is a total waste of time. I showed off my passport at a T Mobile store last week and as much as the folks there loved the device, it didn't take long for some salesperson to start talking bad about the brand and telling everyone that nobody wants them anymore and they are going under.

Unless Blackberry can change the mentally of the young folks and carriers here, I don't see anything changing anytime soon.
    tHe.iR1sH likes this.
    11-17-14 01:48 PM
    Here in Canada ii went to buy a passport and they were going against it and pushing me for androids and iphones but there are hardcore fans like me who will not buy anything else, also they are making them on demand to save money for stocking fees, I don't blame them for this

Posted via perfectly Sq BlackBerry Passport
    11-17-14 01:57 PM
30 12