From reading the various comments on other threads regarding the Passport aka 'Windermere', it seems that large number of folks hate its looks, a very small number are throwing their money at the screen to get it now, but still a good number of people 'need to see and hold it in person to pass judgement.'

For a device this different from all previous designs, in terms of shape, size and keyboard layout and technology... it will be absolutely imperative for BlackBerry to somehow make sure that live-demo units are as widely distributed as possible. For starters, unless the device retails for $99 (which it wont), I'm sure many that are currently on the fence will never get off the fence without actually handling one. Most importantly however, is the fact that the device is so visually distinct (from any glass slab, and even old BlackBerry physical kb devices), and so big, that it is sure to attract any walker-by's attention even if just out of curiosity. In addition, the merits of the gesture-sensitive keyboard cannot be truly evaluated without actually trying it out!

So... I know BlackBerry has been shifting towards the direct sale scheme (mostly out of necessity) , but they need to somehow convince carriers (or some other electronics distributor) to at least place working in-store demo units.
    06-19-14 11:22 AM
    Thanks for speaking my mind.
    06-19-14 12:11 PM
    I also agree with this. People need to TRY these things out.
    06-19-14 12:14 PM
    This a thousand times.

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    Last edited by Oglon3r; 06-19-14 at 02:53 PM.
    06-19-14 01:14 PM
    My son and his wife are pharmacists, they have been waiting for this device. That size screen is perfect for their research of patients needs. It has the right width without being a tablet and can be used as a phone (multi-tasking), their current phone, the note 3 just doesn't measure up.
    06-19-14 01:39 PM
    Every company owned store by Verizon, and At&t mobility have always had working models. Just avoid the phone stores that are nestled between a pet store and a dollar tree in strip malls and you should be fine.

Posted via CB10
    Omar Alsahli likes this.
    06-19-14 02:00 PM
    My son and his wife are pharmacists, they have been waiting for this device. That size screen is perfect for their research of patients needs. It has the right width without being a tablet and can be used as a phone (multi-tasking), their current phone, the note 3 just doesn't measure up.
    Well BlackBerry is trying to pick that niche market.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 02:04 PM
    As long as the keyboard is as responsive as the Q10, with the rumoured touch sensitive capabilities, why the heck not? The Q10 is a great phone, so this would be a Q10 with more screen real estate.....very practical!
    06-19-14 02:25 PM
    BlackBerry need to do extensive mobile showroom/kiosk where they can park in the high street or shopping centre /malls just to demonstrate.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 02:32 PM
    I agree. To spend that much money without being able to try it out first would not make sense.

Posted on my Q10 via CB10
    06-19-14 02:36 PM
    I will fight tooth and nail to get a working display put into my store. I'm already trying to get the z30 put in stock here and so far I think I'm going to be successful!

Posted via CB10
    gebco and AthenaSmith like this.
    06-19-14 03:43 PM
    I have to admit that when I seen the original leaks I was like "Eeehhhhhh I dunno..." but that phone just looks "so" different compared to the original leaked images

To help explain what I mean, I'm gonna quote Quagmire from Family Guy when talking about the "Fourth Hole" that women have: -

"Yeah, I mean it's only visible if you're looking from exactly the right angle, like the entrance to Hogwarts. But ya gotta believe that it's there."

And after seeing John Chen hold the BlackBerry Passport, I have now seen the right angle!! But like loads of folks have said, I'll need to have a hands on before I reserve judgement...

Posted via CB10
    vanrickman likes this.
    06-19-14 03:56 PM
    This would be a major part of showing people how it works, and how productive you can be with it.
    Display stand with things like the Surface and iPad are always crowded.

Make sure it is a proper working device though, not some cheap visual demo!

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    06-19-14 03:56 PM
    This is the most distinctive-looking phone to come out in years. Looks alone will sell this for a lot of users.

Mark my words: the Passport will be a fashion statement.
    vanrickman likes this.
    06-19-14 04:02 PM
    Where's my Z50 ?

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    06-19-14 04:08 PM
    Don't think BlackBerry ever had a problem with lack of demos or kiosks, they were always there even for first generation BlackBerry 10 phones.

What they lack is BlackBerry representatives to educate customers during launch periode.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 05:46 PM
    Don't think BlackBerry ever had a problem with lack of demos or kiosks, they were always there even for first generation BlackBerry 10 phones.

What they lack is BlackBerry representatives to educate customers during launch periode.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, but that was then... when carriers still made some space on the shelves for them (even if it was in a dark corner at the back). Nowadays BlackBerry demo units are virtually impossible to find even when you are actively looking for it. My point was that they can't do what they did with the Z30 (nothing at all), and expect people who had (or had tried) a Z10 to basically extrapolate their Z10 experience in lieu of actually trying a Z30 in person before ordering one online. It's clear that the Passport is nothing like the Q10,.. so even those (or especially those) hardcore kb lovers that have been using a Bold/Q10 would likely be very hesitant to pull the trigger on an online order of a Passport before ever laying a hand on one.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 07:56 PM
    I got wind of somebody in Hamilton went to bell specifically to get a BlackBerry and was told bell doesn't carry them anymore and convinced him to get Samsung instead.. BlackBerry has a real issue on the store front of employees lying or just being ignorant to the industry they work in.

Maybe BlackBerry should put kiosks in malls or something so they can show off their whole selection of phones. Hate when I go in and they have q5 or z10 only

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 12:41 AM
    Yep if it is not available in-store the sales will not be worth telegraphing home. The "odd" form-factor necessitates hands-on touch-and-feel. I chose the Q5 over the Q10 based upon in-hand ergonomics.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q5
    06-20-14 06:30 AM
    EXACTLY; my sense is that the Passport has been designed with specific professions in mind, including pharmacists, radiologists, anyone looking at charts, X-rays, CAT scans, etc. BlackBerry also signed a deal with a medical services company, so I suspect that the Passport will start showing up in clinics, labs, and hospitals. The larger Passport will also slide into the larger pockets of a lab coat. It is ideal for medical facility.

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    06-20-14 07:07 PM
    My wife is an Emergency Department Pharmacist and she used to carry her Bold and an ipod touch with her reference apps, then tried out the Z10 (using the android port of LexiComp)... despite the bigger screen she really preferred the physical kb (plus it's easier to spell the things such people need to spell) and so she switched to a Q10 as soon as it came out.

I've shown her the Passport pics and she loves the idea of a bigger screen, but is a bit weary of the overall size. The only way she would ever consider it is if she actually held one...

Posted via CB10
    pblakeney and sharma6 like this.
    06-20-14 08:16 PM
    In store demos are a must especially with the new way of using the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 09:28 PM
    This isn't going to happen. It didn't happen with the Z30 and it's not going to happen with these two new phones, which is a tragedy as I still have yet to hold a Z30 in my hands.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    06-21-14 09:32 PM
    I agree. To spend that much money without being able to try it out first would not make sense.

Posted on my Q10 via CB10
    Sadly most of BlackBerry's marketing (or lack of) has never made sense to me. Alicia Keys was awful and the lack of effort behind BB10 made me ill.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 09:57 PM
    This isn't going to happen. It didn't happen with the Z30 and it's not going to happen with these two new phones, which is a tragedy as I still have yet to hold a Z30 in my hands.
    Agree with this. RIM is just now getting into a road back to showing profits by end of Q4 so they aren't going to spend much resources in promotion. Expect this to only be available online and thru carrier websites in mature markets outside Canada.
    06-21-14 10:08 PM
60 123