05-19-15 07:50 AM
169 ... 23456 ...
tools
    The one thing I don't like about blackberry maps is that it only tells when to turn when you're almost on top of the turn. It does give a warning first the turn is ahead but there may be a few streets in between before you get to it.
    It gives ample warning by putting the name of the street in which you have to turn in the top banner...at least 3 streets ahead...happy driving!

Posted via Z30 or Red Passport.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    04-23-15 09:32 AM
    It gives ample warning by putting the name of the street in which you have to turn in the top banner...at least 3 streets ahead...happy driving!

Sorry. I'm not looking at the phone while driving. Might be more of an issue for me since I'm blind in my right eye and it's not right in front of me. Even when driving at 25 mph I don't get the turn notice until I'm almost on top of the street. Other than that it has worked fine for me.

I also have trouble reading those small street signs until I'm almost on top of them.
    04-23-15 09:40 AM
    I found the maps app to be pretty useless. it miss so much features. It is slow to load the map. I am traveling a lot, and for me it is totally unusable. I always have some problem when I use it.

I live in Warsaw since few years and there it is a total mess. It can't find my proper address ( I mean my numer is 61c but it localise me at the 44, I tried with a passport friend's too it is the same) and I am living in the center and it is a capital. I came back to my home town in Paris for a few days to visit my family, I had so much trouble to find some street I was looking for. I mean there is no POI ,even on the map there is no indication of subway. Gas station,etc.

In Warsaw for exemple, turn by turn is not working. I have to used my nexus 5 to have maps. From they 3 company's the app from blackberry is the worst. Google maps(android), WP8.1(here), map(ios 8). If you are by foot, this app is a nightmare.

For exemple, a main bridge is closed since a month. But it doesn't show up on blackberry map. On the other maps it shows of the bridge is not available. This app is totally unusable in my case. So I use now my nexus 5 or my lumia 930 just for map. I refuse to install android apps on my BlackBerry, I didn't buy it for this, I had too much drain issue at first and there is still problems. I tried apps from the BlackBerry store but almost all are ugly as hell or not really ergonomic.

I mean, it is a professional tool and I think a good application for this is needed. The app is still far from the others.

I wish her maps was in BlackBerry world.

Posted via CB10
    Maps in blackberry is live feed by Tomtom. So it uses data. Where is your data plan ? France or Poland. ? You are roaming and you may have data restrictions on your current plan. So your Maps app is not working properly. Check it out. I travel a lot internationally and use BlackBerry maps with no problems, even in Paris.
    I take a large data Plan when travelling internationally.

04-23-15 09:54 AM
    BlackBerry Maps is made by Tom Tom, if I remember correctly. Works great for getting me to point B from point A. It also has the nice feature of giving traffic along the route. It has some nice bells and whistles, but you have to go into settings to turn them on. I use it more often than my Tom Tom GPS.

Posted via CB10
    The weird thing is Jamaica is available on Tom Tom but on BlackBerry maps it's not and I gather we are not allowed in this situation. BlackBerry definitely needs to step up their maps game.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 10:01 AM
    Maps are fine! Not to compare with Google maps but still work fine

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 10:21 AM
    The weird thing is Jamaica is available on Tom Tom but on BlackBerry maps it's not and I gather we are not allowed in this situation. BlackBerry definitely needs to step up their maps game.

Posted via CB10
    Licensing is likely the cause of this, in a smaller country like Jamaica it's probably impossible for Tom Tom to convince their local distributors that allowing BlackBerry to use their services won't affect their market at all. The decision could have come directly from Tom Tom themselves but whom ever made the decision you can pretty much guarantee that it wasn't BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 11:23 AM
    I will have to check out maps today to see how it looks and report back but my GPS is still very bad. Was trying to us Waze last night and it was just bad.
    04-23-15 11:35 AM
    Licensing is likely the cause of this, in a smaller country like Jamaica it's probably impossible for Tom Tom to convince their local distributors that allowing BlackBerry to use their services won't affect their market at all. The decision could have come directly from Tom Tom themselves but whom ever made the decision you can pretty much guarantee that it wasn't BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think so. BlackBerry maps has never supported Jamaica even b4 this Tom Tom arrangement.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 12:19 PM
    Blackberry Maps useles in Peru since my first BB Bold 9780 and now using the Passport. I can't use properly the Glympse app.

Tested the Naveo and piece of crap,slow and battery hungry, uninstalled and gave 1 star.

Have no choice to install Google Maps via Snap, now it works very smooth and fast, tested the route directions and works fine.

I would like to use a native app like Blackberry Maps, but TomTom don't want to add my country to their database.

Do we need to collect 1,000 signs to send them to Tom Tom to hear us?

Regards
    04-23-15 12:27 PM
    I don't think so. BlackBerry maps has never supported Jamaica even b4 this Tom Tom arrangement.

Posted via CB10
    Why would that mean it's not a licensing issue?
    04-23-15 12:37 PM
    Why would that mean it's not a licensing issue?
    Just saying in the mapping department, BlackBerry seems not to care much about their users not a bb10 issue. It's been like this since os5.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 12:41 PM
    Blackberry Maps is run by Garvin or TomTom I think. So you can blame that company for the ****ty map features and directions. Only on good map app out there and that's Google. I don't think Garvin or TomTom sends their employees out to every major city and drives every street to get an accurate map. Google drove to my home town 400km North of Winnipeg and mapped it, I can see the house I grew up in on street view. So yeah only really one good map app is out there IMO.
    Barbareren likes this.
    04-23-15 01:59 PM
    I operate in a rural country area and a big city around the size of Detroit. I have never had any problems with BB maps or when I travel out of state.
    04-23-15 04:00 PM
    Works a treat here in AU. With BB assistant and maps together i just tell it where i want to go and its a done deal.
    hpjrt likes this.
    04-23-15 05:14 PM
    Hmmm,...it gets me to where I'm going.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 07:45 PM
    Well, BlackBerry maps here is useless. For some reason they did not include Tokyo! I use Google maps in the meantime.

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    04-23-15 08:46 PM
    We must be using different BlackBerry Maps apps. I just did a search for both 'coffee shop ' and 'gas station' and it gave me a list of results close to my current location. All relevant results I might add.

The version of maps that comes with 10.3 is vastly improved over the the version in 10.2. You can now search for addresses even if they are not spelled perfectly. You can search for POI's and generic things like restaurants, etc.

If BlackBerry ever adds transit and walking directions then it will be a good native mapping option for most folks.

Posted via CB10
    Go to the next level by not even opening maps, just press search and say "coffee shop ", then select which one you want and press go.

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    04-23-15 09:22 PM
    I use Mireo for years now all over North America and Europe and it works perfectly. Takes a little effort to learn it, but it is very good. Also it does have way better voices than the BlackBerry Maps or the Google Maps. I stopped using BlackBerry Maps long time ago, just because I could not get used to that terrible voice that comes with it.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 10:45 PM
    can't lie BB Maps has p'd me off in many cases. In Los Angeles, it loves to veer me off the 405 just to get back on the 405. I'm thinking maybe it's re-routing me to a faster way using surface streets but no, it tells me to take an exit just to get back on the freeway... so weird. Sometimes it goes away if I ignore it, like it corrects itselfs. Maybe it's because the so many lanes that LA county freeways and streets have that GPS gets confused? Hard to explain when Google Maps doesn't have this difficulty... GMaps is usually on point everytime. Unfortunately i've sworn off droid apps but the GMaps on the browser doesn't do a bad job just no navigating....
    04-24-15 12:08 AM
    No problems in germany at all. Only maps i need and use.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 12:16 AM
    So what are we using as an alternative as I think we have all found that BB Maps is just not cutting it..
    "We all"?? So many including myself have said BlackBerry maps is awesome! It seems to depend on the County you live in. In Canada it works perfectly.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-24-15 07:46 AM
    Still a fair question, whether you like the wording or not. I'd like to know what others are using too. In particular, my gripe with BB maps is that it won't provide verbal updates when I tap the screen. I don't want to have to look down at the map to see how far along I am.

"We all"?? So many including myself have said BlackBerry maps is awesome! It seems to depend on the County you live in. In Canada it works perfectly.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 10:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    can't decide it by country. I'm sure people here in the states use it with no problem, but i'm in LA... big road system and BB Maps fails. and i'm sure it doesn't work for everyone in every part of Canada.
    Barbareren likes this.
    04-24-15 10:17 AM
    I've never had any problems. It was developed by Tom Tom.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 06:09 PM
    Google Maps version 7.6.1 works like a charm on the Passport. No Google Services crap needed and it works fast, doesn't use too much data, has voice guided navigation in multiple languages (even Norwegian), has alternative routes, is easy to use and doesn't use much battery power either. No side loading is needed. Simply use the Passport's browser and download the .apk version I mentioned and hit install. BlackBerry Maps is garbage from my experience.

Posted via CB10
    Rendergroup likes this.
    04-24-15 06:33 PM
169 ... 23456 ...