Never had an issue with Blackberry maps. It does a good job. Gets you from point "A" to point "B" and does it well.

If you don't like it, get an iPhone...maybe that will do your trick.

Posted from BlackBerry Z10.
    04-29-15 10:17 AM
    Never had an issue with Blackberry maps. It does a good job. Gets you from point "A" to point "B" and does it well.

If you don't like it, get an iPhone...maybe that will do your trick.

Posted from BlackBerry Z10.
    Can you spare us the "blablabla....get an iphone" please!!! Typical fanboy answer. Beside just to let you know, there are other, android and windows phone. In case, we never know. Just saying. I am tired of this kind of people.
    It is the same people who are complaining about apple fanboy, doing exactly the same.

We are not talking about changing operating system!!

Posted via CB10
    Barbareren likes this.
    04-29-15 11:19 AM
    Yes BlackBerry Maps is crap compared to the competition. It is just a simple fact, nothing more. There is no need to get all defensive when someone points out an error with your favourite smartphone. For those of us who points out the error, it is still our favourite smartphone as well. Nothing is ever perfect, and everything can be improved.

Your anecdotes about how BlackBerry Maps works for you and brings you from point A to point B are irrelevant. BlackBerry Maps is a poorly written piece of software. It is one of the departments BlackBerry need to work on.

Even though GPS is pretty common in cars nowadays, the need for a good mapping application on a smartphone is still definitely there, especially when you're travelling. I can't tell you how many times Google Maps has saved my arse in a rental car in a foreign land...

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 11:44 AM
    Can you spare us the "blablabla....get an iphone" please!!! Typical fanboy answer. Beside just to let you know, there are other, android and windows phone. In case, we never know. Just saying. I am tired of this kind of people.
    It is the same people who are complaining about apple fanboy, doing exactly the same.

We are not talking about changing operating system!!

Posted via CB10
    Not a "fanboi" whatever that is...

Posted via BlackBerry Q5.
    04-29-15 12:35 PM
    What I find interesting is BBMaps uses TomTom Maps just as does Sygic. The maps look totally different with Sygic being way more user friendly and up to date.
    Barbareren likes this.
    04-29-15 03:57 PM
    I don't use blackberry maps...Google maps is much better...

Mia san mia!
    Not in North America!
    If you drive in North America BlackBerry maps is much more accurate than Google or iphone maps. Maybe because reception is better on the z30 and Passport.
    I tried all three simultaneously in US and my Canadian phone with BlackBerry maps beat the US iphone and US galaxy phone in Chicago hands down.
    Never had any problems getting to the destination in Canada, US or France. Never used a GPS in a rental, just my Z30 or passport while listening to the radio or music.
    The BlackBerry map app stops the music discreetly or the radio to give you turn by turn info and you can do that on long 6-8 hour long trips without the battery running out on you. You do not need to plug in your passport while driving and listening to music or radio on the phone.
    Having said all that, it may simply be that the map of Poland is not well coded in the BlackBerry app, although it worked fine for me in Romania.
    Last edited by sorinv; 04-29-15 at 05:18 PM.
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    04-29-15 05:05 PM
    I wouldn't say it's the worst maps ever but there is certainly room for improvement.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 11:49 PM
    One could wonder how BlackBerry can sell anything to Fortune 500, world travelling business professionals, when the maps doesn't work in most of the world.

Posted via CB10
    Barbareren likes this.
    04-30-15 06:48 AM
    One could wonder how BlackBerry can sell anything to Fortune 500, world travelling business professionals, when the maps doesn't work in most of the world.

Posted via CB10
    This is not an issue that concerns Blackberry management. Just like the Q10 Keyboard...

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 07:37 AM
    My wife used to have an iPhone 6 and we would play a game in the car to see who could get directions faster. I won 80% or more of the time.

I travel a lot for work and rarely, if ever, have to open any other program for DRIVING. However I wish that it gave walking directions, which are usually quite different in high traffic flow areas.

My other complaint is that BlackBerry maps is very conservative about recommending small roads so it sometime leads you into congested areas unnecessarily. However no traffic monitoring is 100% accurate so I don't think that's a big problem.

I study traffic congestion for a living

Posted via CB10
    terminatorx likes this.
    04-30-15 07:54 AM
    I never had a recurring or constant problem with the Blackberry maps.
    I did have one time that I needed to shut the app down and open it again. But honestly, that may have been my fault, since I kept it in a 'hold' situation with the route selected but not yet engaged.

There was one time when traveling from new jersey to Brooklyn, NY where the Blackberry Maps had me going around in a circle around Little Italy in New York City. Maybe some crossing of signals or something, or the tall buildings. The good thing that came out of that was that on the second pass of Parisi Bakery on Mott Street I stopped to get some excellent bread and pastries!!
    So, it wasn't all negative!
    04-30-15 09:28 AM
    It does seem to work good.... I'm going to give it a try for a while and compare the two.

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    It seems to work okay except it got my phone so hot that I could smell it!

I will stick with the bb maps.

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    04-30-15 08:11 PM
    I'm glad you've had such a positive experience.
    I live in the US and my experience has been that Google Maps and the Windows Phone map app are both pretty awesome. The BlackBerry map app is a distant third, because it's not as user-friendly, and it seems to really drain data and run down the battery in a way that the other two don't.
    I will admit that if BlackBerry maps gave you good directions in Chicago, that's pretty impressive. Downtown Chicago can be an especially challenging place for any map app.

Not in North America!
    If you drive in North America BlackBerry maps is much more accurate than Google or iphone maps. Maybe because reception is better on the z30 and Passport.
    I tried all three simultaneously in US and my Canadian phone with BlackBerry maps beat the US iphone and US galaxy phone in Chicago hands down.
    Never had any problems getting to the destination in Canada, US or France. Never used a GPS in a rental, just my Z30 or passport while listening to the radio or music.
    The BlackBerry map app stops the music discreetly or the radio to give you turn by turn info and you can do that on long 6-8 hour long trips without the battery running out on you. You do not need to plug in your passport while driving and listening to music or radio on the phone.
    Having said all that, it may simply be that the map of Poland is not well coded in the BlackBerry app, although it worked fine for me in Romania.
    05-01-15 09:29 AM
    I'm glad you've had such a positive experience.
    I live in the US and my experience has been that Google Maps and the Windows Phone map app are both pretty awesome. The BlackBerry map app is a distant third, because it's not as user-friendly, and it seems to really drain data and run down the battery in a way that the other two don't.
    I will admit that if BlackBerry maps gave you good directions in Chicago, that's pretty impressive. Downtown Chicago can be an especially challenging place for any map app.
    It is strange that it drains your battery.
    As I mentioned, I use it on long trips and always listening to music with Bluetooth through the car speakers, without ever plugging in the passport from 6am to 9pm.
    I just did it again this week for three days in a row driving in thinly populated areas of Vermont and upstate New York where the signal was not that strong, yet power consumption was very low.
    05-01-15 12:31 PM
    I've been thinking about this. The worst map ever is the one made out of paper that doesn't talk to you that you can never fold back into its original configuration.

You remember, that map that could make your parents go from getting along to screaming at each other in 30 seconds or less? That's the map that takes the crown.

These ones that talk us through turn by turn? Those are all gravy in comparison. We are all so spoiled.

Posted via CB10
    Jerry A likes this.
    05-01-15 01:46 PM
    I've been thinking about this. The worst map ever is the one made out of paper that doesn't talk to you that you can never fold back into its original configuration.

You remember, that map that could make your parents go from getting along to screaming at each other in 30 seconds or less? That's the map that takes the crown.

These ones that talk us through turn by turn? Those are all gravy in comparison. We are all so spoiled.

Posted via CB10
    LOL
    05-01-15 02:02 PM
    Any french users experiencing problems with the native maps application ?

I haven't used maps a lot since I have my Q10, but the last few days with it was a terrible experience.

First time it brings me 1km away the exact location and try to make me pass by 'sens interdit' - yes, I love BlackBerry, but don't make me break the law.

Second time, this morning, I had to go to the garage for my car, and even if I know where it is, I want to see by which way the application leads me. Big surprise, the entire trip is correct except at the end, I arrived at the garage, but maps tell me to go 2km more. The funny thing is I see the number of the street outside and the application says it's far away.

Maybe it's only because I use it in France, I don't know, it seems Canadians and Americans don't have this kind of issue.
    05-13-15 03:49 AM
    i have been wrestling with bb maps since i got my pp. i absolutely love the pp and it performs flawlessly except for maps. i have an att phone and live in roch ny. when i use maps it will find where i want to go without a problem. but then it just kindof stops working , it is like it cant get the gps signal fast enough or maybe not at all. it will not give me voice prompts because i dont think it knows where it is . some have suggested that i need to turn off networks but that seems like a silly solution . so for me i do not question the accuracy of maps . for me i just cant get it to work
    05-13-15 04:50 AM
    I completely understand your agony. Even I hate the idea of installing android apps on a Blackberry device. I found a work around for street and name issues...atleast it works fine for me.

I bought the BeMaps Pro which is made for BlackBerry and uses Google map. If i select a location and choose navigation, BeMaps app opens blackberry maps navigation and find path to the location which it chose. In simple words, BeMaps finds places which blackberry maps doesn't see and then Blackberry maps takes me to that place which for me it does perfectly!
    True dat. I use BeMaps Pro too. Works like a charm.

I <3 NY!
    05-13-15 05:59 AM
    i have been wrestling with bb maps since i got my pp. i absolutely love the pp and it performs flawlessly except for maps. i have an att phone and live in roch ny. when i use maps it will find where i want to go without a problem. but then it just kindof stops working , it is like it cant get the gps signal fast enough or maybe not at all. it will not give me voice prompts because i dont think it knows where it is . some have suggested that i need to turn off networks but that seems like a silly solution . so for me i do not question the accuracy of maps . for me i just cant get it to work
    That's a shame! I have had nothing but great experiences with the turn-by-turn directions from BlackBerry maps. Whether I use it through the maps app or via Assistant, it has taken me exactly where I need to go in North America.

We used it extensively on our Florida trip this past winter and I use it often in SW Ontario.

Could it be your carrier or plan that doesn't give you the coverage/signal you need?

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    05-13-15 06:05 AM
    I totally agree with you, that if you buy a Blackberry, you shouldn't have to sideload Android apps. I agree! But.......it is what it is right now, and the Passport is one of the best phones out there right now. I don't mind the Android market, assuming there will be a better solution soon, but even using another app store other than Blackberry World isn't bad at all.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 07:14 AM
    I too had quite a few bad experiences with BlackBerry maps. Once I searched for Walmart near me and it took me to a place where there is nothing but a random building not even a shopping center. The other day I searched for railway station and it took me in to a gated housing community and I missed the train eventually.

Also its very hard to search and find a place with BlackBerry maps and the redirection is bad too for example once it asks you to take a legal U turn, it won't stop even if you drive for 5 miles LOL. Take a 'Legal U-Turn'... God its annoying.

Waze maps is working perfectly fine in BlackBerry and so are the google maps. Give them a try.

BTW I am from Illinois, US.

On the other hand I tried the maps in India and it worked quite well. I dint expect it at all.

Posted via the amazing 'Red' BlackBerry Passport
    05-13-15 05:16 PM
    wanted to comment my experience with BB maps is mixed as well

The route is fine but it gets the street names wrong.
    05-13-15 05:59 PM
    would like walking, especially in london.
    05-14-15 03:04 PM
    Welp, I used to trust BlackBerry maps with the Z10, but since I've had the PassPort not so much. Lately its just bogus, telling me to take a right when I should be taking a left, when I preview the route its one thing, but when I start driving it tells me something totally different. Luckily I knew where I was going the last couple trips or who knows where I would have ended up! Needless to say, I dusted off the TomTom GPS unit and will use that or go back to Z10 when I need directions.

Posted via my OGBBPP!
    05-14-15 04:39 PM
169 ... 4567