I got two Passports - black and white. I bought the black one for myself (coming from Z10). The device is good based and comparing on what I'm reading here in CB about some users' complaints. But then more than a month of using it, the first problem occurred. I've noticed that light is bleeding on the right side of the screen. It is noticeable when reading in darkness. After few days, my fear is right, I got 'screen lifting' problem. My Passport is my only mobile and I already spent a lot of time loading my backup from Z10 and installing some needed Android apps not available in BB World. I already enquired BlackBerry service repair centre of my problem and they first fixed it by just applying double sided tape - but the problem still occurred after few days, and as expected, I returned back to them. They told me that they will replace it with new unit but it would take 20 to 30 days to get a new replacement (due to inventory prioritisation and that BlackBerry will still need to evaluate and assess if the problem is a factory defect or users' misuse). And when I said that I need it ASAP because it is only the phone I got, they offered me another temporary replacement unit but like other, I have to deposit a full amount as assurance in case whatever happens to the temporary unit. And as arrangement goes, I will get the full refund once I received the new unit and returned the replacement unit to them. I don't have that much money to spare and trying to live with 'screen lifting' issue until I met someone who has the same problem and shared to me how he fixed it by himself. Not wanting to wait for almost a month and no spare money for temporary replacement considering also that, it is the only problem I have with my black Passport, I took the risk of fixing it by myself and so far (until now), I had no more 'screen lifting' issue.

Happier with my black Passport, I decided to give my sister a white Passport for her birthday. So, I ordered a white one. Again, I paid full premium price for the white Passport. Since my sister is not that 'techquie' person, I setup the Passport for her and loaded some Android apps that she is commonly using but not available in BBWorld. I never told her about the Passport since it is supposedly a surprise! Then almost 3 days of testing, I've noticed that this white is getting hotter and having double typing issues (since I have the black Passport, I can easily compare their performances). Straight away, I've sent back the white for replacement. Again the same no. of days for replacement is given and option (if I want a temporary replacement). Since it is supposedly a gift, I told them just to give me a new replacement as soon as they can. I made a lot of follow up and calls just to speed up the process. And 2 days before my sister birthday, the new replacement arrived. Again, I did the same set up, update and installation - overnight! And again, the same heating and double typing issues occurred. And this time, it had also screen flickering issue. I go back again to the service center and the same replacement arrangement has been offered which, I don't have any other choice but to wait for a new replacement. My sister birthday came and passed without my supposedly surprised gift. In the end, I told what happened to my birthday gift for her.

Almost a month now since I purchased that white Passport and the unfunny part is, I never used the device, I fully paid, on normal usage - until now! Few days from now, I will receive the new replacement and I hope that this time, it will be a good unit or, if it has issue, I wish it is only 'screen lifting' as I can fix this problem based on my personal experience. (Silly me, huh?)

My sister even telling that if is still has problem, she doesn't mind me giving her iPhone 6 instead. I was also wondering what if I returned my black Passport and get another device having different issues other than 'screen lifting'. It would be an unpleasant experience and no more recommendation of BlackBerry Passport.

I don't know what is happening with BlackBerry quality control / assurance and 'after sales service' but they have to fix it as soon as they can... or they are going to lose more customers no matter how good their OS a.k.a. BB10 is...

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 03:03 PM
    Pays to have a z10 for a cheap back up. These phones cost a lot of money.

Posted from a Z30. Get one!
    BerryRipe likes this.
    05-08-15 03:24 PM
    These threads make me nervous about the Passport. I have one from September and the only issue that has been there from the start is a loose volume up key that is barely noticeable. Another from the Black Friday sale with zero issues, and a more recent AT&T version with zero issues.

No hardware or software issues (you mentioned flickering which is def the OS). I have ordered many devices from shopblackberry, including the two Passports, and never any problems. Not sure if I'm just lucky or if others are really unlucky! Hopefully none of these issues, especially screen lifting, pop up because these threads make me nervous if I ever wanted to impulse buy a Passport down the road on sale.

On the other hand, my experience is almost the complete opposite. Just some thoughts. Sucks that your screen lifted. Hopefully all will get resolved. I'm assuming that you sold your last device. I keep at least one working device as a backup. Bought a new Z10 from shopblackberry last year for less than $200 brand new just in case. The Z10 is a great little device as a spare.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 06:46 PM
    I actually gave my Z10 to someone since I don't usually keep more phones. But this scenario really think me of getting another one (as reliable backup)... I hope that CB will consider my situation for winning 'Leap'...

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 09:48 PM
    I actually gave my Z10 to someone since I don't usually keep more phones. But this scenario really think me of getting another one (as reliable backup)... I hope that CB will consider my situation for winning 'Leap'...

Posted via CB10
    A backup phone seems a necessity with pkb phones.

Z30 / STA100-5 /10.3.1.1784 (no more double-typing Q10).
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-08-15 09:53 PM
    Man that was depressing to read! I've had double typing issues on my Q10, got a replacement through Verizon but the headphone jack was not working. Verizon sent another and it's working perfect (knock on wood). Verizon sent refurbished phones as replacement so I don't think the headphone jack issue was BlackBerry's fault. Either way they need to get their stuff together and quick or just get out the handset business.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-08-15 10:26 PM
    More of the same... First I do feel for the OP... nothing worst than overlapping service issue. That being said... When it happens to you... you of course look to see if others have same defect or issue. It the gets posted online where it makes it look like a "major" issue for many.... If you go onto Crackberry and find 100 incidents of issues posted... do remember that BB has sold hundred of thousands of Passports... of course there will be a percentage that have issues. As smartphones are made in batches like computer components... you simply get lemons. Had this happen with a number of HP desktop with faulty hard drives. Next batch HP produced was fine. Simply luck or bad luck of the draw. As for BB customer service... unsure what the OP expects them to do... No company I am aware of ( unless you have extended or enhanced warranty) will simply replace product after a month of use. When I had my Iphone 6 issues earlier this year ( I returned 3 in one month ) the key was I did not wait to try to figure it out. The first one simply did not work.. ( did not go onto forum to ask for help ) simply returned it the same day... Got two more... two more issues and returned the next day. Had I waited a month I would have had to send the unit out for repair ... just like BB so I do not understand the issue the OP has. In the end..... it is a matter of knowing what your return rights when buying any product... so your research and do not wait on issues... At least when the BB OS3.1 update screwed up a batch of Z30 video they extended the warranty on said products. If it was Apple it would likely "you are not viewing it at the wrong angel ".... either way hope it works out for the OP....
    deiop likes this.
    05-08-15 10:53 PM
    I dont understand the part where you said you couldnt afford to layout the dough for a replacement loaner yet you paid full pop for a white one as a gift! Doesnt make any sense to me

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.500
    beamolite and anon(8080272) like this.
    05-08-15 11:12 PM
    I'm sure BlackBerry don't want these things to happen but when it does, who do you think should suffer most? The manufacturers that made the product and supposedly make it 99% (if not 100%) workable and free from any factory defects? Or the buyer that bought the product believing that the quality standards of the manufacturer that produce the unit are reliable, high standards and fully tested? Someone has to absorb the shock but definitely, the one who paid should not be the one.

As for the deposit, again, I don't have spare money to give them as deposit (assurance) but I have saving to buy gift for my sister which I already did spent by buying the white Passport - that supposedly we can use right away. But give them another $600+ (even as 'deposit') because the other $600+ I already gave to them is not properly working - is too much stupidity and unfair. It is probably hard for us to understand it, but to make it in business point of view, even BlackBerry wouldn't spend $600+ if they will not be getting something out of it, the minute they let it go.

I don't expect BlackBerry to do some miracle things when one of their bad units reached their customers. But then again, doing nothing to improve the situation, offer some consolation (since you are no longer losing the money you initially spent to purchase the product but still spending time and additional cost for follow-up, going back & forth to the service centre, making calls, emailing concerned persons, not to mention the worries of getting another defect unit and go again the entire process, etc.) and prevent the same complaints to happen again is like telling to their customers that they don't care - at all! The perfect formula to lose customer... and business...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by joshua_sx1; 05-09-15 at 01:07 AM.
    05-09-15 12:27 AM
    I dont understand the part where you said you couldnt afford to layout the dough for a replacement loaner yet you paid full pop for a white one as a gift! Doesnt make any sense to me

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.500
    Sorry to say, this really stood out to me also.

05-09-15 11:11 AM
    I'm sure BlackBerry don't want these things to happen but when it does, who do you think should suffer most? The manufacturers that made the product and supposedly make it 99% (if not 100%) workable and free from any factory defects? Or the buyer that bought the product believing that the quality standards of the manufacturer that produce the unit are reliable, high standards and fully tested? Someone has to absorb the shock but definitely, the one who paid should not be the one.

As for the deposit, again, I don't have spare money to give them as deposit (assurance) but I have saving to buy gift for my sister which I already did spent by buying the white Passport - that supposedly we can use right away. But give them another $600+ (even as 'deposit') because the other $600+ I already gave to them is not properly working - is too much stupidity and unfair. It is probably hard for us to understand it, but to make it in business point of view, even BlackBerry wouldn't spend $600+ if they will not be getting something out of it, the minute they let it go.

I don't expect BlackBerry to do some miracle things when one of their bad units reached their customers. But then again, doing nothing to improve the situation, offer some consolation (since you are no longer losing the money you initially spent to purchase the product but still spending time and additional cost for follow-up, going back & forth to the service centre, making calls, emailing concerned persons, not to mention the worries of getting another defect unit and go again the entire process, etc.) and prevent the same complaints to happen again is like telling to their customers that they don't care - at all! The perfect formula to lose customer... and business...

Posted via CB10
    Not to give BlackBerry any excuses, aren't you dealing with the carrier/retailer? If I'm not mistaken, it is they, and not BlackBerry, who wanted the deposit.

Either way, I can fully understand and don't want to detract from how frustrating receiving not just one but two defective units in a row would make anyone.

05-09-15 11:16 AM
    Totally agree!

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 12:14 PM
    Could you post some pictures please of these issues you seem to have?

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 01:02 PM
    I bought it from BlackBerry authorised dealer. And according to them it is BlackBerry policy not theirs. They are also authorised dealer of other brands and most of them are having the same policy for returning defective unit. The big difference is, according to the them, the other brands have this so-called prioritisation policy on unit that has been returned due to factory defects and still under warranty. If stock is available and the issue has been proven as factory defect (as acknowledged by the manufacturer), they can replace it immediately. If in case of stock unavailability, the order is much faster compare with regular delivery. And all of them, except BlackBerry, has this 'free delivery charge' for replacement unit.

With reference to BlackBerry, according to them, even they indicated to their order that it is a replacement for a factory defective unit that still under warranty, they 'seems' to be not concerned at all i.e. no expedite of order and no free service delivery.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 01:10 PM
    Could you post some pictures please of these issues you seem to have?

Posted via CB10
    My black Passport has been already fixed so I can no longer take a picture of 'screen lifting'.

The white Passport however, I don't have it yet since I'm still waiting for replacement. And even I have it, you can never tell from picture that it has over heating issue, screen flickering and double typing problems.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 01:16 PM