i really don't understand, if you have a problem send it back and either get a refund or a new device, it is under a warranty unless you did something to void it?..i have had issues with other devices, and i just return it and have it replaced...its not a tough thing to do
    In my case my Z10 was a gift directly from BB and they refused to warranty it. So it isn't always so easy.

It's incredibly frustrating to have BB repeatedly telling me to take it to my carrier and me saying "but my carrier had nothing to do with it" and getting a shrug back.
    11-14-14 07:49 AM
    My Z10 was awful for reboots. I also remember setting up a customers Q10 for her - when I put it down on the counter to show her how to set everything up the minute I put it down what did it do? Yup. Reboot. And it wasn't because of an app restore, I'd been off BB for some time and didn't have a compatible backup to restore so it was started fresh.

I had the reboot in calls. It was frustrating as hell. This isn't anything new for BB10.
    I have a new idea about the reboots: it could be the way in which the memory controller works, but was somehow mitigated by that OS update BlackBerry pushed out. I recently read articles suggesting that a high rate of failures for the 128GB iPhone 6Plus was due to the combination of MLC memory and the memory controller. Maybe someone technical can let me know if it is plausible.

As for the OP's issue, it's best not to restore from a backup. Re-download all the apps from BlackBerry World and resync all data from the server. If you need document files, copy them off using your desktop's file explorer and then put them back manually.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    11-14-14 08:06 AM
    My Z10 was awful for reboots. I also remember setting up a customers Q10 for her - when I put it down on the counter to show her how to set everything up the minute I put it down what did it do? Yup. Reboot. And it wasn't because of an app restore, I'd been off BB for some time and didn't have a compatible backup to restore so it was started fresh.

I had the reboot in calls. It was frustrating as hell. This isn't anything new for BB10.
    That is what mine did. I replaced the battery.

Obviously that is now (easily) possible to fix on the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 08:13 AM

Was it during the 10.0.0 to the early 10.2.1 days? Because the latest 10.2.1 and the few previous releases have resolved that issue

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 08:34 AM
    Were you able to watch the cricket in spite of the unexpected loss of battery longevity?

In any case, the screenshot shows that "system" is using 31% of the battery. Just because you don't know or understand why the device is doing something doesn't mean that it isn't doing something sensible. It could be doing housekeeping of some sort, or in spite of turning data off there could have been cell reception problems causing a higher burn rate (perhaps more likely if you were in a large crowd of people with mobile devices all demanding access to a particular nearby cell tower), or something else altogether.

The self healing software would be nice but will remain science fiction got some more years I think. Serious AI required for software to even recognise many types of fault, never mind repair them. Of course obviously runaway processes could be killed and stuff like that, but then people would be complaining about things restarting. There is no absolute solution that will make everyone happy.
    While I appreciate your reply but just to tell you, majority of the battery drain didn't take place at the stadium so the tower part is out of question. And in case it system was doing something "sensible", why did it stop after the hard reset?

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    11-14-14 08:52 AM
    I feel sorry for the people who suffer from reboots. Having had most of the BlackBerry handsets including a Z10, Z30 and now the Passport. I have never EVER suffered from these reboot problems.

Which leads me to think that either people are lying or exaggerating the reboot issues or they don't listen to what people are saying ie do not restore data from a backup as that causes issues. Not that it's caused me any issues but then I always start from fresh when I get a new BlackBerry.

Of course there are devices out there that have software or hardware issues which in that case, take it back to where you got it from and either get a replacement or refund.

For the record I have owned iphone's and androids and found them much more buggier than my BlackBerry devices...maybe I'm just a lucky MOFO not to suffer from build quality, hardware or software issues.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    11-14-14 09:37 AM
    All my Q10 did was reboot. Think they'd fix that problem right? Nope. My passport is worse. My passport has frozen and rebooted itself 6 times already today. Yes, 6. And all when I needed it most. I'm getting sick and tired of this bs. I've been a blackberry user forever and i love this phone, when it works. BB10 is still very buggy in my opinion and it's just not up to snuff in a lot of areas. Come on blackberry. BB10 has been on the market for what seems like forever now

Posted via CB10 for Passport
    Are you using official OS? what version, carrier etc. If you list some of these details maybe someone can help you out, it does not seem to be normal behaiver.
    11-14-14 09:54 AM
    My pp has rebooted a few times. Once the other night. It woke me up when I got a notification that an app is running in the background(which happens every time my phone reboots).

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 10:00 AM
    I've had a Z10 for over a year, while it does reboot now and then (usually when battery is low and I try to do a lot of things at once with it), the OS is not buggy at all despite using a leaked 10.3 update. I thought there was going to be all kinds of problems because of the leak, but nothing (other when it's under 10% power, but I have two batteries I swap a fresh one when gets to that point when at home. Fully charged in under a minute!).

Try replacing with another Passport. Then if that's not running perfectly, switch to the Dark Side and get an iPhone or the Sunny Side, Samsung.
    11-14-14 10:04 AM
    I would like to add that my phone has NEVER rebooted by itself. Though it has done things that I had to reboot but it never did so by it self.

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    NtotheK likes this.
    11-14-14 10:19 AM
    And in case it system was doing something "sensible", why did it stop after the hard reset?
    Interrupted and will restart or continue later? Maybe to a certain schedule ?

I don't know what was up with your phone that day. My point was, just because we don't know what our devices are doing all the time, doesn't mean that they are faulty.
    11-14-14 11:08 AM
    Sounds like BB is not working for you. If something doesn't work for you. Move on.
    Fool me once... Fool me twice....
    Same principal.
    11-14-14 11:27 AM
    to OP... dont you think that if every blackberry user had your account of experience, that they would have never lasted in the business? clearly the phone is not supposed to operate in that manner and your problems are specific to you.... maybe, theres something going on YOUR end that's creating the situation you're in....

I fail to see how someone can conclude that if theyre having problems, it must be blackberry and not the user him/herself....

im betting its from trying to restore old data...
    11-14-14 11:31 AM
    Also never had a reboot. Not even Bugs. I always make fresh installs

Z10 (red) OS10.2.2.1531 Q5 (red) OS10.3.0.1418
    11-14-14 11:38 AM
    -- Preliminary - hardware/basic
    1. Are you using a case / holster ?
    2. Do you put your device into your pockets ?
    3. Have you run a diagnostic test (BBVE in BlackBerry World - free) ?
    4. Have you checked for OS update (settings/software updates) ?

-- If SW related
    There's at least one method to update your OS without damaging your data.
    If ever you have enough time to spend, pls check the preliminary steps, let us know the results and - if kindly asked and desired - we may guide you through this.

Hope it helps
    SF
    damien kupuku and stevobbm like this.
    11-14-14 11:43 AM
    All my Q10 did was reboot. Think they'd fix that problem right? Nope. My passport is worse. My passport has frozen and rebooted itself 6 times already today. Yes, 6. And all when I needed it most. I'm getting sick and tired of this bs. I've been a blackberry user forever and i love this phone, when it works. BB10 is still very buggy in my opinion and it's just not up to snuff in a lot of areas. Come on blackberry. BB10 has been on the market for what seems like forever now

What!!! Get him......! JK.

Ya, seems every OS update it's something new for me. Right now my calendar app on my Z10 freezes every time I open it, I have to close it, let it reset and open it again. Usually works fine on the second try.
    11-14-14 11:46 AM
    Well if you're not happy I guess you can always go Android or IOS. I'll deal with the issues before I do that though.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 11:59 AM
    I have had my Z10 reboot when I put it down on a surface, rare, but it seems like my cover is loose letting the battery move around a little, kind of a new thing. I've had it turn off in my pocket, which most likely is because the power button got depressed (front pocket and at some point was sitting), I have had crazy feed back with speakers plugged into the head phone jack, very cyclical and all about the phone receiving data.

If your having the same problem with different devices, you really need to consider all the common elements. Are you using the same SIM card, same SD card, apps. Then you have the environment. I can guarantee if you go to an Apple device you wont have these problems, because the first three things I list will all be different.

I have seen SIM cards in older BBOS devices just simply suck, replaced with a new one and like magic work find.

Good luck troubleshooting it, if you even do that at this point. Remember the grass is always greener.....
    11-14-14 12:33 PM
    The self healing software would be nice but will remain science fiction got some more years I think. Serious AI required for software to even recognise many types of fault, never mind repair them. Of course obviously runaway processes could be killed and stuff like that, but then people would be complaining about things restarting. There is no absolute solution that will make everyone happy.
    Nope. Solaris 10 has had predictive self-healing since 2004. It's not as far off as you think.
    marknmel likes this.
    11-14-14 12:36 PM
    Nope. Solaris 10 has had predictive self-healing since 2004. It's not as far off as you think.
    Really?! Damn wish I went to another Solaris shop, I stopped working on it back with 8 and 9. Always loved the sparc boxes too.
    11-14-14 12:41 PM
    Nice as it may be, turning off or maybe restarting hardware or software components is pretty coarse grained and still subject to error by the predictive mechanism itself. I've worked with highly available systems and know that getting the system to recognise the correct fault and take the correct action are exceptionally difficult. The reality doesn't always match the marketing.

Anyway, the post I was replying to was talking about ironing out bugs in the software, which I understood to be more in the direction of self modifying software (aka Skynet, *Arnie waves*).
    11-14-14 12:55 PM
    It takes 30 seconds to make a thread and 6+ hours to reload an os and get all of my content back on it. Hmm

Now that is untrue...
    6 hours to reload???
    11-14-14 01:03 PM
    Nice as it may be, turning off or maybe restarting hardware or software components is pretty coarse grained and still subject to error by the predictive mechanism itself. I've worked with highly available systems and know that getting the system to recognise the correct fault and take the correct action are exceptionally difficult. The reality doesn't always match the marketing.

Anyway, the post I was replying to was talking about ironing out bugs in the software, which I understood to be more in the direction of self modifying software (aka Skynet, *Arnie waves*).
    I see. Well even still, never say we're too far off. There's always something cookin somewhere.
    11-14-14 01:07 PM
    Was it during the 10.0.0 to the early 10.2.1 days? Because the latest 10.2.1 and the few previous releases have resolved that issue

Posted via CB10
    It was, unfortunately I couldn't wait for a fix lol. I needed a reliable phone...
    11-14-14 01:35 PM
    I see. Well even still, never say we're too far off. There's always something cookin somewhere.
    Yep. Never know what's around the corner. Doubt too many people even twenty years ago could have imagined just how powerful and ubiquitous the mobile phone would become.
    Life was simpler then... lol.
    11-14-14 02:00 PM
100 1234