Question.

If I am sitting in a hotel in let's say Regina on their wifi, how can it be secure that I am connected to a laptop sitting open in my house? What if said laptop was sitting at an office where others could access it?

Shouldn't the connection be that you should be on the SAME wifi ?

Am I holding it wrong ? :-)

Cheers

Steve
    02-24-15 12:34 AM
    No it doesn't have to be on the same network.

If the app is running on a computer that is accessible by others, then while you could access the files on that computer, also people who are using Blend on that computer will see your conversations and emails too if you didn't disconnect Blend in the first place.

The connection between your BlackBerry and Blend is secure as long as you're not putting your self at risk by letting Blend connected to your device while it's sitting in a computer accessible by others.
    02-24-15 02:46 AM
    Does anyone have actual technical info about what kind of security Blend takes into account when connected over Wifi/data? Presumably all this data is going over the net, so if there is any security hole it would be exposing a huge about of data.
    03-04-15 12:22 PM
    There's a great program to check and analyze data over Ethernet and Wifi, is well known Wireshark install in your machine and discover all the connections that goes over the internet, very interesting indeed.
    03-04-15 03:14 PM
    As far as I understand it, it is creating an encrypted connection between the devices, therefore the data is safe.

When you laptop is on, but locked, you can still access the data.

BlackBerry Blend is actually requiring you to enter you device password to connect to your phone and you receive a notification as soon as a connection is established.

If you don't like it, you can easily cancel the session.

This is quite secure if you ask me.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 03:20 PM
    Today my colleague was off at home sick. I jumped on his desktop for a quick minute, then to my surprise his messages started popping up on Blend!!

I quickly went up to the gear and hit disconnect as I didn't want to invade his privacy, job well done! Well, let's just say an hour later Blend went live again on its own!!!

After a bit of back and forth with my colleague, we figured out if he's on ANY WiFi network, the PC will connect to his Q10! The only way for him to not sync was to shut off Blend.

This is insane! How can this be secure? I have Blend on my work PC and laptop at home. Does this mean I need to shut Blend off every time I leave work? But how about when I want to sync at home? Will it keep mirroring everything at work?

Anyone else having similar issues???

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 09:18 PM
    I get notifications in the hub every year time I connect / disconnect from blend. I also get connected on the wireless network.

You can shut it off in device connections or in the actual blend app on the phone.

Passport running on 10.3.1.2480
    03-04-15 09:44 PM
    Blend requires permission from the owner during the initial setup. It is at the discretion of the owner. If you don't utilize a password for your BlackBerry device and have it paired with Blend to a public computer, what do you expect?

Posted via CB10 on the BlackBerry Passport
    03-04-15 09:58 PM
    While I haven't confirmed yet whether the connection is encrypted...

In regards to the other comments, I found that unless I go (in OS X) to the menu bar and click "Close" on the Blend icon, simply quitting the app will just re-open it at the next re-connect opportunity.

So now I'm in the habit of explicitly closing the app from the menubar so that it stays disconnected. That said, another way to stop it from happening is to not allow Blend to remember the device password.
    03-07-15 02:28 PM
    This is quite interesting. In my case, Blend always asks for my device password and I say "don't remember" so I hope that remote connection attempts will fail.

Still, a better security policy would be welcome since this is Blackberry's nome de plume.
    03-07-15 03:17 PM