Voice Command Battle: BlackBerry Assistant vs Siri vs Google Now (Video) | N4BB
    I'm sorry to say this but BlackBerry Assistant is really losing to Siri here. Really bad. I'm ok when i use it myself but in comparison to Siri it's just not good enough.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 10:09 AM
    Does anyone buy a phone for that reason? A voice assistant? Where I work I have to keep my phone on vibrate all the time. I don't use the voice assistant hardly ever. to me it would not even register which is "BETTER".....
    09-28-14 10:15 AM
    Not what I look for either. From what I have seen windows phone assistant blows them all away. But I have never used any of them really.

Passport on AT&T
    09-28-14 10:27 AM
    Does anyone buy a phone for that reason? A voice assistant? Where I work I have to keep my phone on vibrate all the time. I don't use the voice assistant hardly ever. to me it would not even register which is "BETTER".....
    That's a fact. I don't know anybody that routinely uses this feature on ANY platform. Something extra we're paying for that nobody needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-28-14 10:28 AM
    Yes. I agree. But it helps sometimes. Especially while I'm driving.
    It's a basically a trend started by apple.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 10:35 AM
    I have personally felt awkward to talk TO my phone. Never liked voice assistants. Call me over-organised maybe, I never had to use even the 'search' feature on any of my smart phones since my first smartphone in 2009.

Posted via CB10
    kedi and spikesolie like this.
    09-28-14 10:41 AM
    Phone assistants are cool but I think they're kinda pointless. I mean, doing tasks by voice is slower than actually tapping the screen imo and what I hate the most is people looking so stupid screaming at their phones for checking the weather.

The nice thing about the BlackBerry Assistant is that you can do things by typing, and that's what made it interesting to me, even though it's still one of those features that I would completely forget about after a while.

EDIT: the comparison BlackBerry Assistant vs Siri isn't fair, Siri has been out for a long time and they had the time to improve it over the years.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 10:43 AM
    It's the early days of "Hello Dave"...

Posted via CB10
    Banco and FF22 like this.
    09-28-14 10:45 AM
    I kind of agree Jaydee, except for one thing: the width of the Passport to me makes the voice assistant incredibly important. Using dictation instead of typing, and launching apps/calls etc. from the Hardware key allows me to keep using the Passport one-handed!

That, I feel, is the biggest advantage BB Assistant bring to the Passport. I couldn't care less about the gimmicky advanced searching options, I just want it to help me use the basic phone parts. And I think BBA already does a great job at that!
    09-28-14 10:46 AM
    Interesting... Siri's quite quick to the draw.

Posted from an ME173X
    09-28-14 10:47 AM
    The only time I use my phone's "assistant" is when I drive and using my bluetooth earpiece.
    09-28-14 10:48 AM
    It's the early days of "Hello Dave"...

Posted via CB10
    Hilarious and creepy! Love the reference!

Robertino BB-Z10
    09-28-14 10:51 AM
    BB Assistant is on version 1 . Give it some time. It is slow but not so bad I guess.
    09-28-14 10:53 AM
    I heard that new assistant was really close to Siri. But disappointed when I see it is still struggling. Not doubt Siri is matured assistant.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 10:58 AM
    To me it's not a show-stopper for a feature I hardly ever use. Also, it in it's infancy and still way better than what we had originally. So I don't know what the big deal is. My 12-year has Siri on her ipod touch version 5 running iOS8 and.. she never ever uses it.... so I wouldn't be too concern. I'm sure it'll improve quickly and that'll be just a bonus to the very few times I do happen to use it.
    09-28-14 10:59 AM
    The only time I use my phone's "assistant" is when I drive and using my bluetooth earpiece.
    This. Lots of things I'd like to get done when I'm driving. Talking to the phone and giving it commands is very important to me IF it works properly.
    09-28-14 11:00 AM
    I only recently started liking voice assistants when I used the voice search on the Amazon fire TV. It is really convenient to search for shows etc. without typing on the clunky on-screen keyboards

I think I would use a voice capability to do search occasionally, but to accomplish anything else, I'd much rather use the device.

Personally, I was impressed with Siri's speed, but I was also feeling OK that we're not that far off from Google Now.

I do have a Lumia 1520 I use as a tablet and Cortana is pretty good for search. However, I wouldn't last one day if that were my primary phone.
    09-28-14 11:05 AM
    The BlackBerry Assistant was faster when I first loaded 10.3 about a month ago. It's recently been much slower, not sure why.

Also, how is the title of this thread logical? Did you even watch the video? Did you see how poorly Google Now failed?
    Me2 likes this.
    09-28-14 11:12 AM
    I only ever use the voice assistance for talk to text if I just gotta answer something. Even then I tell them I'm driving so if it's weird that's why. I rarely even use it for that.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 11:13 AM
    None of these things beat Google Now. That's the direction these assistant things need to move.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-28-14 11:14 AM
    Wish they had a "name" for it. Lol then we could say hey "name" what do you think of Siri.....
    potatoguy and kawikaratekid like this.
    09-28-14 11:17 AM
    Voice Command Battle: BlackBerry Assistant vs Siri vs Google Now (Video) | N4BB
    I'm sorry to say this but BlackBerry Assistant is really losing to Siri here. Really bad. I'm ok when i use it myself but in comparison to Siri it's just not good enough.

Posted via CB10
    What the heck are you talking about.
    BlackBerry Assistant was slower than SIRI, but it's results were often better.

Tell Ben blah blah blah.

BlackBerry : which Ben? he had like 5.
    SIRI: picked one Ben. and was going to message him. Does the same with phone calls.
    I'm sorry, but SIRI doesn't get to decide which Ben I mean. Perhaps I was supposed to be at uncle Ben's 10 minutes ago. Telling my brother Ben I'm going to be late is counter productive.
    This assumption is a major FAIL for SIRI.

Searching for messages in Gmail: SIRI and Google now failed. What? Really? Yes, really.

The only voice solution shamed here was Google now.
    SIRI got a little mud on her face too, but was faster. I'd rather have correct and complete than faster any day of the week.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 11:18 AM
    Personally I agree with the op. BlackBerry assistant has definitely come a long way, but is still very slow. Yes many of you don't need it as much, but when driving this is where it becomes super handy. But it can be annoying how slow it is. I'm hoping more tweaking will be done on this front. Again, many of you will say I don't need it etc, but there are those who still does. And with laws now being put in place with distracted driving due to cell phones, this becomes a necessity. I'm loving the new version but I believe it still needs more work.

Lifting ain't for the faint of heart
    09-28-14 11:24 AM
    I heard that new assistant was really close to Siri. But disappointed when I see it is still struggling. Not doubt Siri is matured assistant.
    BlackBerry's assistant does have the advantage of seeing corporate contacts and calendar. Where I work, Siri doesn't have access to that data.

But in general, Siri has much better quality understanding.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    09-28-14 11:26 AM
    Didn't watch the whole video but noticed that BB Passport was hotter than iPhone and Android.
    Was 2 degrees hotter to be more precise on the weather response.

Who wouldn't want a hot smartphone?
    09-28-14 11:28 AM
81 123 ...