That's another worry is the app section. I am going to write downs all app list that I care about and check if they are available. I wish to move to iOS but it's too damn expensive.

Posted via CB10
    When checking the availability of these apps, remember to check their features. Some WP apps are considerably watered down versions of their Android and iOS cousins. I'm thinking specifically of the Kindle app here, but there are other examples (just as many find the BB10 Facebook app to be weak compared to the Android and iOS versions).
    08-01-15 01:14 PM
    windows 10 on the desktop and a windows 10 phone is starting to sound appealing to me. Don't tempt me.
    Just upgraded to windows 10 on my pc and BlackBerry link works even faster cross syncing so I'm definately in. Mind you can it took a while to download the win10 update but it's rockn fast.im happy!!!

 Passport SQW100-1 / leak 10.3.2.2226 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB
    08-01-15 01:40 PM
    http://crackberry.com/skyward-downlo...ackberry-world

There goes the BlackBerry security it's a total joke and unacceptable. To me it was a nice experience with the Passport but no more. Never heard of this happening with windows or Android or iOS.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-15 07:44 PM
    http://crackberry.com/skyward-downlo...ackberry-world

There goes the BlackBerry security it's a total joke and unacceptable. To me it was a nice experience with the Passport but no more. Never heard of this happening with windows or Android or iOS.

Posted via CB10
    Umm..article you linked has nothing to do with security???

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-04-15 10:57 PM
    I haven't read through this thread, but in response to the title alone:

Have you seen how Microsoft has treated user privacy in Windows 10 Desktop? BB10 and Windows 10 couldn't be more different. I don't know how the phone OS will look, but I doubt it will be dissimilar.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-15 11:06 PM
    Skyward - Download from an Android source and not BlackBerry World | CrackBerry.com

Posted via CB10
    what in the world does that link have to do with BlackBerry security.... it's just a game app review. for android.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-05-15 09:30 AM
    Which most new users will do by default - answering yes. Which then by default "will be shared to all Facebook, Outlook, and Skype contacts (users can�t pick individual contacts; the access is shared with all contacts on a social network)." See update / back and forth between Krebs and ZDNet

Bottom line - Windows 10 further expands the "social" aspect. We all know their track record on security.

And we haven't even touched on slurping of personal data

From EDRi:

�We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to�, for example, �protect their customers� or �enforce the terms governing the use of the services�.......
    Nope.

08-05-15 06:54 PM
    I was using Lumia 640XL while on holidays so I could use 2 SIM cards. Battery is very good (on par with Passport battery). It is a quite cheap device (�250) and is fine while on vacations when you need to check your emails but don't need to write to much. The one I have it runs wp 8.1 so I cannot talk how it will be with wp10. However, after the initial days of use you'll miss a lot of great features that bb10 offers. The first one you miss is the Hub. But there is more. So to me, I would say wp is nice, is evolving but is far away from bb10. I dunno how it will be when wp10 is out but I think it will not worth the trade. Just my 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 12:44 PM
    I was using Lumia 640XL while on holidays so I could use 2 SIM cards. Battery is very good (on par with Passport battery). It is a quite cheap device (�250) and is fine while on vacations when you need to check your emails but don't need to write to much. The one I have it runs wp 8.1 so I cannot talk how it will be with wp10. However, after the initial days of use you'll miss a lot of great features that bb10 offers. The first one you miss is the Hub. But there is more. So to me, I would say wp is nice, is evolving but is far away from bb10. I dunno how it will be when wp10 is out but I think it will not worth the trade. Just my 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    I think I read the 640 is getting Windows 10. I'm waiting to see Windows 10 mobile in action. Might pick one up and give it a whirl. BlackBerry is my primary driver.
    08-06-15 12:59 PM
    I think I read the 640 is getting Windows 10. I'm waiting to see Windows 10 mobile in action. Might pick one up and give it a whirl. BlackBerry is my primary driver.
    I think every Lumia is getting Windows 10. I've got the preview already on a 520, and I think that's the lowest-end phone they made. You can get it now by joining the Windows Insider program.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    08-06-15 03:46 PM
    Well Windows is still gonna have a hell of a time convincing consumers and corporations to leave their iPhone and Android and replace it with a Windows phone.

So they'll have to offer cross platform MDM

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 03:56 PM
    I think every Lumia is getting Windows 10. I've got the preview already on a 520, and I think that's the lowest-end phone they made. You can get it now by joining the Windows Insider program.
    How is it? Give us the inside scoop!
    08-06-15 04:48 PM
    Well, bearing in mind that this is a test build on a Luma 520 (preview build 10166), it's good. It's a little slow, but that could be software-optimization related, or just due to the old hardware, which was low end to begin with.

The look and feel is nice. The start screen has been tweaked ever so slightly again, and it looks even better. If you head over to Windows Central, there's a long thread of start screen pics. Here's a link: Post your latest Windows 10 phone Start Screen and Backgrounds! - Windows Central Forums The fly in the ointment at this point is that live tiles are hit and miss. Some update and some do not, and the failures include microsoft's own apps.

Not all of the apps for windows phone 8.1 have been ported to Windows 10 mobile. New ones appear in the store (there's a new, separate store for Windows 10) daily, and those that I have tried run well (with the aforementioned live tile issue recurring on many). On that note, Opera mini showed up last week, and it was necessary, because the Edge browser is not good, at least on this phone. It lags and crashes on a regular basis. The UI is not great either. It's three touches to get to your bookmarks, for example.

I haven't tested the camera software extensively, because the camera on the 520 is garbage, and no amount of software is going to fix that.

I also haven't checked to see whether the infamous music indexing bug persisted into Windows 10 mobile. On previous Windows 8 and 8.1 builds, the music player would often either miss tracks entirely, or create double and triple entries for hundreds and hundreds of songs. The solution was to install a really nice app called "Modern Music," which is the only music app I have found that does not use the built in windows phone track database. That being the case, it was the first app I installed after updating to Windows 10 mobile.

The maps app, which replaces the old Nokia HERE collection, appears to BE the old Nokia HERE apps in new drag. It works really well, the directions are better than my in-car GPS, and you can still download maps for offline use. The offline maps are a great data saver. Maybe that's available on other platforms. I don't know. But at this point, it's what I use the Lumia 520 for -- a travel phone. It's got the maps, and I don't fear to throw it in my pocket or a bag, scratch it, bang it around, or lose it for that matter.

Email is fine. Nothing spectacular. I haven't checked to see if they still have the same attachment limitations. Skype messaging is supposed to get integrated into the messaging app, but that hasn't been done yet, so you still have to download a separate skype client. Office is not included yet either.
    ubizmo, kbz1960 and Shadowyugi like this.
    08-06-15 05:44 PM
    Shuswap. Thanks for the great update. I think the late fall release should bring a better experience.
    08-06-15 06:00 PM
    Shuswap. Thanks for the great update. I think the late fall release should bring a better experience.
    I think so too. I've reported all the bugs I've experienced so far (most are already reported, so you just upvote them), and all of them have been marked as acknowledged by someone at MS.
    08-06-15 06:48 PM
    The look and feel is nice. The start screen has been tweaked ever so slightly again, and it looks even better. If you head over to Windows Central, there's a long thread of start screen pics.
    Notifications used to be a weak point. Very little granularity of user control. How's that looking?

Email is fine. Nothing spectacular. I haven't checked to see if they still have the same attachment limitations. Skype messaging is supposed to get integrated into the messaging app, but that hasn't been done yet, so you still have to download a separate skype client. Office is not included yet either.
    One of my peeves in WP 7.5, my last personal trial of WP, was the only files I could attach to emails were photos. Anything else had to be a link to something on OneDrive. Has that been changed?
    08-06-15 06:48 PM
    Notifications used to be a weak point. Very little granularity of user control. How's that looking?

One of my peeves in WP 7.5, my last personal trial of WP, was the only files I could attach to emails were photos. Anything else had to be a link to something on OneDrive. Has that been changed?
    On notifications, here are some settings screenshots. The first one shows how notifications in general will be displayed.
    BlackBerry 10 or Windows 10-wp_ss_20150806_0001-1-.png

The second screenshot shows the overall control for each app.

BlackBerry 10 or Windows 10-wp_ss_20150806_0002-1-.png

If you click on an app, you get the finer notifications settings, as shown for messages, in the third screenshot.
    BlackBerry 10 or Windows 10-wp_ss_20150806_0003-1-.png

With respect to email attachments, the outlook client offers me the option of attaching any file in local storage (as well as other options, including onedrive). I attached a 23 mb podcast file, which it accepted, and then promptly crashed when I tried to send it. So the intent is there, but it's beta software, and the bugs aren't worked out yet.

Edit: so while I was writing this up, the Outlook client must have resumed and finished sending that email, because I now have the email and the attached file in my inbox.
    ubizmo likes this.
    08-06-15 07:33 PM
    Thanks for that info, Shuswap. The improvement in notifications is impressive. And if they get local file attachments working, that'll be a major obstacle (for me) gone.

I liked the overall look and feel of the OS, which is obviously much improved since 7.5. The transparent tiles are very cool.

But they have to do better than BlackBerry in the app battle. Personally, I think they'll get some kind of a bump from synergy with Windows 10, and a boatload of advertising, which should help the app situation.

I really hope they make it. There should be a third platform out there with at least double digit market share. I'd like it to be BB10 but WP already has a tenfold advantage over BlackBerry and I just don't see that reversing.

Maybe Amazon will bring their WP Kindle app up to speed...Or is that going for too much?
    Last edited by ubizmo; 08-06-15 at 09:13 PM.
    08-06-15 07:54 PM
    Windows 10 is very elegant and I find very easy to navigate, is very fast and doesn�t take a huge footprint. Apple on the other hand is a propitiatory system which doesn�t allow installation of any hardware other than Apple hardware. Blackberry 10 is very secure, elegant, fast, and I find if you are not needing a lot of unnecessary android apps, it a great phone and operating system. Its business based, I agree, not fan based and I rather have a very secure phone and operating system..
    08-06-15 08:28 PM
    Update on the Windows 10 mobile technical preview

A new build came out this week. Here are my observations.

Everything is snappier, and since my Lumia 520 is the lowest-end model, that's saying something. It's close to par with the original Windows Phone 8 OS.

The Edge browser is no longer crashing. In fact, it's smooth, quick, and very functional. So the coders have done their job. The three clicks to get to the bookmarks issue -- mentioned by many beta testers -- has not been remedied. The UI is identical to previous builds. I've noticed that UI designers don't seem to be very responsive to suggestions until it's clear that the design is not only inefficient, but universally reviled.

Word and Excel previews have been added to this build. I haven't played with Excel, but the Word build works well, and includes a LOT of functionality. With a keyboard and monitor, I could use this version in place of the desktop version. Of course, getting to those functions is less easy, since there are no toolbars, and everything is in a menu system accessed at the bottom of the screen.

Some live tiles still do not function, but they're closer. The accuweather tile, which did absolutely nothing before, now updates the name of my town, and flips as if to change the information display, but still provides zero weather information. But like I said, they're clearly getting closer.

I like WP 10 mobile. There's something to be said for the live tiles and the notification system. It's more elegant than iOS or Android, and I think less so than webOS or BB10, but that's just an opinion. It's hardly a fact.
    ubizmo and extisis like this.
    08-14-15 10:10 PM
    I had a Lumia 535 and it is not good. The phone got out of resolution, unresponsive, laggy. It fails big time. I doubt windows 10 will fix this. I think the QA has gone out of control after Microsoft acquisition.

Posted from kyuten
    08-15-15 01:32 AM
    Update on the Windows 10 mobile technical preview

A new build came out this week. Here are my observations.

Everything is snappier, and since my Lumia 520 is the lowest-end model, that's saying something. It's close to par with the original Windows Phone 8 OS.

The Edge browser is no longer crashing. In fact, it's smooth, quick, and very functional. So the coders have done their job. The three clicks to get to the bookmarks issue -- mentioned by many beta testers -- has not been remedied. The UI is identical to previous builds. I've noticed that UI designers don't seem to be very responsive to suggestions until it's clear that the design is not only inefficient, but universally reviled.

Word and Excel previews have been added to this build. I haven't played with Excel, but the Word build works well, and includes a LOT of functionality. With a keyboard and monitor, I could use this version in place of the desktop version. Of course, getting to those functions is less easy, since there are no toolbars, and everything is in a menu system accessed at the bottom of the screen.

Some live tiles still do not function, but they're closer. The accuweather tile, which did absolutely nothing before, now updates the name of my town, and flips as if to change the information display, but still provides zero weather information. But like I said, they're clearly getting closer.

I like WP 10 mobile. There's something to be said for the live tiles and the notification system. It's more elegant than iOS or Android, and I think less so than webOS or BB10, but that's just an opinion. It's hardly a fact.
    i might just pick up that Lumia just to take a peek at all this. Can anyone join the Windows 10 mobile technical preview?
    08-15-15 02:31 AM
    I'm a Passport Owner now however my phone ownership record is pretty diverse, from WebOS to iOS I've had it all.

In terms of Windows Phone I've owned the Lumia 920, Lumia 635, Lumia 630 and Huawei W1 so I've wanted to love Windows Phone. I've never had many issues with the operating system itself I just find it BORING. There's no fancy swiping up and down, many a times like BlackBerry the apps are sup-par and apart from the Rudy Huyn development cycle WP also lacks apps like Snapchat, etc and in many cases we have apps to cover WP losses due to sideloading.

The phones are good and if anyone is on a budget you simply can't go wrong, I do question if a Lumia device would be taken seriously in business due to the lower end more budget models looking like a cheap toy. But for a personal user looking for a sub �200 smartphone unless you want a leap, a Z10/Q10 WP is certainly the way.

I love my Passport more than I loved my Lumia devices and I enjoy the premium feel of a PKB. I'll see what the slider brings and what the rumoured Chendroid will add to BlackBerry devices but for now BlackBerry 10 is the only OS I want to use.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-15 03:02 AM
    i might just pick up that Lumia just to take a peek at all this. Can anyone join the Windows 10 mobile technical preview?
    Yes. Anyone can join. To get the technical preview, just join the Windows Insider program (https://insider.windows.com/), and then install the Windows Insider app from the store on your phone. Doing so will switch you to the beta update path.

If I was getting a Lumia, I'd go with a little higher specs than the 520. On eBay right now, you can get a quad core Lumia 635 for less than a 520. Go figure.

I didn't mention something else about Windows phones that has always bothered me. The landscape keyboard does not use the full width of the screen, so it's a little smaller than it might have been. I don't know why they made that choice, and why it has persisted into Windows 10.
    extisis likes this.
    08-15-15 09:05 AM
    Apple and Android already own the Enterprise market, at least here in the States. The numbers are not even close from what I understand and I could be wrong. most all large companies and hospital systems are using iPhones with MobileIron as their MDM or can use MobileIron or Good with Android Devices. BlackBerry's Share in the Enterprise market is continually shrinking at a high rate. I hope to see this trend turnaround because at the very least if they re-establish and show serious growth in the Enterprise market, then they can dump some extra cash into the consumer side. I love BlackBerry as much as the next guy or gal, but this idea that BlackBerry owns the Enterprise market is just wrong. It's statistical semantics. Meaning BES is available cross platform now. However, the greatest percentage of Devices on BES are BlackBerry's, thus they "Own the Enterprise" market. However, a look at the real picture which is total number of devices secured through a Mobile Device Management system and you'll see BlackBerry is quite small compared to Apple and Android. It's a shame as we all know BlackBerry's offerings. That doesn't change the facts.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-15-15 09:16 AM
243 ... 56789 ...