Windows 10 is free.

They WILL datamine & monetize that just like Google. It will allow for access to that money pot for developers to fix the app gap...

They will charge for updates after 1 year & windows 10.x will cost a bundle.

Their many mandatory updates will contain ads using YOUR data allotment, will be bidirectional mining your usage, & risk malfunction. I have frequently had occasion to remove certain updates that broke certain things.

Windows 7 is supported FREE to 2020 & windows 8.1 to 2023 !!

I will NOT update to windows 10 unless these foibles are resolved...
    07-31-15 07:11 AM
    Windows 10 is free.

They WILL datamine & monetize that just like Google. It will allow for access to that money pot for developers to fix the app gap...

Their many mandatory updates will contain ads using YOUR data allotment, will be bidirectional mining your usage, & risk malfunction. I have frequently had occasion to remove certain updates that broke certain things.

Attach link to these supposed foibles.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-31-15 08:44 AM
    Which most new users will do by default - answering yes. Which then by default "will be shared to all Facebook, Outlook, and Skype contacts (users can�t pick individual contacts; the access is shared with all contacts on a social network)." See update / back and forth between Krebs and ZDNet

Bottom line - Windows 10 further expands the "social" aspect. We all know their track record on security.

And we haven't even touched on slurping of personal data

From EDRi:

�We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to�, for example, �protect their customers� or �enforce the terms governing the use of the services�.......
    07-31-15 09:10 AM
    Links for those claims on CNET...
    MS site differs, claims free support for 5 years from release date...
    I don't know what they would do if they push win10.x & change the FREE to PAID... they could do it & end user could not prevent that with unstoppable & unremovable updates...
    07-31-15 09:32 AM
    Windows 10 is free.

Anyone that chooses the free upgrade and upgrades an already genuine copy of Windows will not ever have to pay for updates for Windows 10. Now if you wait more than a year then of course you are charged. What's the point of making the free offer if there's not a urgency requirement.

Of course they are going to try to get you to opt in and share data. Just like virtually everyone else is doing. So opt out.

But the free upgrade offer is more about getting folks to move away from old versions of Windows.

As for updates breaking things they've released a tool that allows you to hide specific non critical updates. Drivers etc. These are the source of many issues. So you can hide forever, seeing certain non critical updates. But consumers can not defer installing security patches. Same way you can't pick and choose security updates on ANY mobile phone OS. Makes sense to me.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-31-15 09:54 AM
    If BB can't get these double typing issues under control, I'm switching. I don't even care to what. The whole spiel about getting a phone with a keyboard was about accuracy and efficiency...well with double typing, all that accuracy and efficiency just flew the **** out the window.

Speaking of windows...I'll look at all the OS's when it's time to switch, including Windows 10. I do like BB10 but the double typing is disgusting. It's like getting a Ferrari for the engine and horsepower, then it starts misfiring and giving you ****ty performance. That's just embarrassing.
    07-31-15 10:39 AM
    Which most new users will do by default - answering yes. Which then by default "will be shared to all Facebook, Outlook, and Skype contacts (users can’t pick individual contacts; the access is shared with all contacts on a social network)." See update / back and forth between Krebs and ZDNet
    I personally don't see most aspects of the WiFi Sense sharing as a big issue. But there is one thing Krebs points out that I certainly think is an issue. And that is the fact that others can share access to your network. So you tell your friend (or have told your friend) your password/phrase. When they first connect to your network, obviously their Windows device/PC treats it as their network, prompting them to share access.

Reminds me of the whole Facebook issue years back where folks didn't really "get" that friends of friends could see their posts depending on the settings. They didn't realize the breadth of the scope of the sharing.
    07-31-15 12:08 PM
    I will also point out that everything is moving this way, to force critical updates and/or updates that add core functions.

Why? As all this software gets more complex, the fragmentation becomes unmanageable from a bug/security standpoint. Add to that that most all the new features are to enable interconnected services and it becomes more and more critical to keep things patched and secure.
    07-31-15 12:21 PM
    Lol if you don't like windows 10 then don't install it. No need to bad mouth about it whatsoever. Easy peasy

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    07-31-15 12:45 PM
    The question was Blackberry 10 >>>> OR <<<<< Windows 10

Guess you missed the OR part. One of the strengths of BB is offering a secure platform. Microsoft / Apple / Google are making YOU their product while BB is innovating security to ensure your are not the product if you so choose.

Seems like a pretty clear cut discussion for most.
    07-31-15 12:52 PM
    Seriously people, nothing is "Free".

Microsoft is moving to a new revenue model. Instead of you buying the software up front, they are giving it away with the knowledge that a majority of adopters will take the Express route during install and that your behavior / information uploaded to Microsoft can then be turned into revenue.

It is the Apple / Google financial model. Review their patents.
    07-31-15 01:09 PM
    Yup I'm moving to Windows phone it's good bye blackberry for me

Posted via CB10
    07-31-15 03:08 PM
    And Windows 10 on pc is the same as Windows phones windows 10 is a whole need to read before writing

Posted via CB10
    07-31-15 03:09 PM

Microsoft is moving to a new revenue model. Instead of you buying the software up front, they are giving it away with the knowledge that a majority of adopters will take the Express route during install and that your behavior / information uploaded to Microsoft can then be turned into revenue.

Anyone living in the modern world has their information, to some degree, out there. Using a Blackberry doesn't stop this.
    07-31-15 03:18 PM
    Nice, steal data, sell it... Bill & Steve must be proud...

07-31-15 04:22 PM
    What's currently holding me off is that windows 10 is not released yet. But soon as it's released I will buy a new lumia and keep passport for emailing.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-15 05:31 PM

Some linux distributions are free, both in terms of cost and licensing. So this is just plain wrong.
    07-31-15 06:31 PM
    If BB can't get these double typing issues under control, I'm switching. I don't even care to what. The whole spiel about getting a phone with a keyboard was about accuracy and efficiency...well with double typing, all that accuracy and efficiency just flew the **** out the window.
    I'm not familiar with the double-typing problem. If you're switching platforms to get away from double-typing, what physical keyboard device would you switch to? Are there any left now?

What I do know is that I hate the keyboard on my Windows 8.1 tablet.
    07-31-15 06:49 PM
    I remember the days when I was using imate phones with windows 3.1. Those days were the best.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-15 06:56 PM
    I'm not familiar with the double-typing problem. If you're switching platforms to get away from double-typing, what physical keyboard device would you switch to? Are there any left now?

What I do know is that I hate the keyboard on my Windows 8.1 tablet.
    I came from a double typing Q10, and it's physical keyboard lost any advantage it had.
    07-31-15 08:21 PM
    I assume the double-typing is the phone registering two presses of a letter instead of one? That'd be annoying.

I can't type all that fast on the physical keyboards, but I do find the virtual keyboard occasionally lags trying to keep up...
    07-31-15 09:01 PM
    The question was Blackberry 10 >>>> OR <<<<< Windows 10

Guess you missed the OR part. One of the strengths of BB is offering a secure platform. Microsoft / Apple / Google are making YOU their product while BB is innovating security to ensure your are not the product if you so choose.

Seems like a pretty clear cut discussion for most.
    Security and privacy are different things. You can be the "product" all the while using their OS securely.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-01-15 03:03 AM
    Windows 8 on a phone is great for elderly parents. Got one for my mum who is a complete technophobe. You can reduce the number of icons on screen and increase their size so that there are literally 3 boxes on the screen. ***** proof !!

The 640xl is a really nice phone with fantastic battery life. A shortage of apps as ever let's it down, even if you are not app crazy they don't even have some common apps.

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    08-01-15 04:18 AM
    Windows 8 on a phone is great for elderly parents. Got one for my mum who is a complete technophobe. You can reduce the number of icons on screen and increase their size so that there are literally 3 boxes on the screen. ***** proof !!

The 640xl is a really nice phone with fantastic battery life. A shortage of apps as ever let's it down, even if you are not app crazy they don't even have some common apps.

Posted via CB10
    That's another worry is the app section. I am going to write downs all app list that I care about and check if they are available. I wish to move to iOS but it's too damn expensive.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-15 11:25 AM
    For old folks usage... in WP8, you may have to install the "rapiddial" apps such that when they touch on the icon of phone on screen, a dial pad pops instantly in front of them... instead of them keep asking,"where's the dial pad???"
    My Mum just couldn't get use of pressing small dial pad icon at the bottom of the screen...
    (you know... how oriental women likes to keep their fingers nails long and pointy...)
    duh... i got her a SONY couple of weeks later.
    08-01-15 12:31 PM
243 ... 45678 ...