09-19-15 10:31 PM
243 12345 ...
tools
    more importantly Microsoft is also talking about how secure this will be.
    Yes Microsoft definitely is known for secure software. Like the patch worked Internet Explorer or security issues that don't get fixed at all....
    Another great security benefit is that it's the most common OS. So an attack on Microsoft based software is always a good choice.

Right now Windows Phone has only a marketshare of around 3 %, but when increasing there'll be more security issues on phones, too. Just like on Android, there is - besides some internal problems - a reason why Android is most vulnerable to security issues. It's the overwhelming marketshare!
    07-27-15 06:08 AM
    But here lies the problem, What apps on BB10 are so great, that you wouldnt leave it for?
    And they don't have a proprietary media store any more. The music was movable and transferable to any device, The movies, not so much.
    But you would still have a BB10 device to play those items off of.

If Windows 10 actually pulls devs to make apps with their clever wording and is secure is BB10, I don't see a good future for BB10.
    For myself , and I'd guess some others, there may be 5-10 BB10 apps that were paid for that are worthwhile. And at that small of a number, it would make it rather easy to leave a platform that has better support in place.
    The rest of the apps, are Android ports that maybe free or some paid for as well.
    But with W10 being able to run droid apps as a speculation, maybe the purchase will transfer and thus not create another cost for the consumer. It works for BB10 and play store purchases that way.

I think, that it was a bad move for Blackberry to dump their media section.And even worse, that you could not transfer the movie purchase to a PC/mac. It was also a horrible support system in place with rovio i believe it was. Way to many issues.
    If they had their own media still and they restricted it how other companies do, I'd say then you may have people less than likely to leave a platform.

I like having inter connectivity with my devices, and right now, Blackberry really isn't offering it. They had it with the playbook and the legacy devices. And I enjoyed it thoroughly. They have Blend which works pretty decent. But until it has a full support of the applications on the device, its kinda behind. They don't appear to be staying on top of it at all.
    Well said and to add to your point the refund process is a joke. Which made me stop purchasing any app.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 06:10 AM
    Apple and Android were never close the enterprise but I feel that Microsoft is going to snatch this position from BlackBerry soon this is if BlackBerry didn't act fast satisfy all sectors.
    In enterprise, Apple is absolutely there, due to iOS more than Macs.

As for Microsoft in mobile, never ever under-estimate them. That said, the argument of Microsoft taking over mobile enterprise because of their enterprise heritage has been made for years and years and years, going back to Windows Mobile. it hasn't yet happened, so it's not as straightforward.

I'm very curious to play with Windows 10 on both platforms to see what they do and how well this convergence works.
    07-27-15 06:12 AM
    I have been using the passport for 5 months and it's the best build quality and I get so much attention because of the design. But almost everyday an issue comes up and it's related to software not the hardware app stopped working or no notifications or...etc. Those kind of things are started to turn me off. Again they are all software related.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 06:44 AM
    If a person has to maintain a phone running Windows like a PC running Windows, then no thanks. What a friggin' hassle that would be! Spyware and all that garbage. And trust me, Windows 10 will have to be secured and maintained like that, it won't be secure at all without installing a bunch of stupid apps, just like the PC.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 07:33 AM
    I just checked the Lumia 930 and it seems like an amazing device and especially the price tag is good. But I think I will just hold my ground for now because it seems by the end of the year prices will drop for older models and newer models will come. Unless I find a really nice deal I will just hold-off for now

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 09:49 AM
    All of my Windows 8 PCs boot up looking exactly like Windows 7, except they perform much better thanks to the improvements in Windows 8. So what's not to like?
    I agree. Win 8 is actually a great OS that runs really well. The metro interface killed it for so many people which is a shame. I never liked it either and with 8.1, I didn't even find it necessary to disable the metro interface anymore. Win10 will fix the start menu woes for everyone though.

Posted via CB10
    Witmen likes this.
    07-27-15 10:01 AM
    I am surprised you say the email client isn't great. I had a windows phone for over 2 years and just switched to the passport. The reason I stayed with windows was the email client. Even now I can safely say I haven't used a better client for my personal and work email needs and I have used many.
    You get a windows phone for work emails you will never regret it. That thing is the boss when it comes to dealing with emails and responding organising, flagging, managing, ease of use and reliability.
    I never had a single problem and to be honest I have removed my work emails from my BlackBerry its a nightmare to manage them such that I get what I want and not every thing come through.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 10:30 AM
    Which windows phone do you have?

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 10:33 AM
    While some of your points are valid, you REALLY should look into the facts behind some of your complaints.

But here lies the problem, What apps on BB10 are so great, that you wouldnt leave it for?
    When did I ever say something about BB10 apps?

I said BB10.

But with W10 being able to run droid apps as a speculation, maybe the purchase will transfer and thus not create another cost for the consumer. It works for BB10 and play store purchases that way.
    All apps bought on your BBID, proovided they are compatible with your new device, transfer. All apps bought on your Amazon account (provided the dev is not being a jerk andd blocking BlackBerry devices) transfer. It has little to do with the device and more with dev support (and users being smart and not getting new BBIDs for every single device).

I think, that it was a bad move for Blackberry to dump their media section.And even worse, that you could not transfer the movie purchase to a PC/mac. It was also a horrible support system in place with rovio i believe it was. Way to many issues.
    Blame it on Rovi. BlackBerry never had a media service at all. They had a partnership - one that I was glad was there, but I really didn't like who they picked.
    07-27-15 11:05 AM
    ... ... ...But with W10 being able to run droid apps as a speculation, maybe the purchase will transfer and thus not create another cost for the consumer. It works for BB10 and play store purchases that way. ... ... ...
    Hopefully you don't miss out the part that .apk or iOS apps needs to go thru some form of transformation to Windows compatible apps for WP installation. Remember when BBOS10 started? The side loading method was the same as what windows is using now. The only negative part is that when an update is available for the transformed apps installed, Windows may not be able to detect expired version like what earlier OS10 do... So... now BBOS10 have an winning edge over WP. Native .apk installed will get updated if the user have Google Play installed, or other apps handler like 1 Market installed.
    07-27-15 11:22 AM
    Hopefully you don't miss out the part that .apk or iOS apps needs to go thru some form of transformation to Windows compatible apps for WP installation. Remember when BBOS10 started? The side loading method was the same as what windows is using now. The only negative part is that when an update is available for the transformed apps installed, Windows may not be able to detect expired version like what earlier OS10 do... So... now BBOS10 have an winning edge over WP. Native .apk installed will get updated if the user have Google Play installed, or other apps handler like 1 Market installed.
    You missed that MS model of porting apps is different from BB. There are two differences:
    - Only author of app with source code can make a port to W10M
    - You cannot sideload apps to W10M. Author need to publish it on Windows Marketplace.
    07-27-15 12:14 PM
    You cannot sideload apps to W10M. Author need to publish it on Windows Marketplace.
    Look under Settings -- Update & Security -- For Developers. There are radio buttons there to turn on sideloading and dev mode.

See this page for more info: Windows 10 Allows You To Sideload Universal Apps, Just Like Android Does
    07-27-15 01:01 PM
    No they didn't. This is how it will work. All three of the people I am talking about will download it, screw around with it for a few days, make a mess of their machines in general and then call me for help.

Because it exists they will want the new, and none of them have progressed past beginner mode on the last 3 versions.

Posted via CB10
    Oh don't get all dramatic. I support the less tech inclined also and there is nothing wrong with 8.1 and 10 is even better and more like 7. The less tech inclined will have few issues with it.

I like 8.1 and I like 10 even better.
    southlander likes this.
    07-27-15 01:17 PM
    I believe this figure includes desktop & laptop comuters as well as mobile devices.

Posted via CB10
    Correct. But from a dev's perspective there is no extra work required to make an app run on a laptop vs tablet vs phone. Write once run anywhere, hence how the 1 billion devices regardless of type comes into play.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-27-15 02:13 PM
    That's right, but let's keep in mind that porting Android apps to BlackBerry World requires far less work then this, but many Android devs were still not interested. Microsoft is going to have to do a full court press in marketing WP10, and get phones into a lot of hands, even if they have to take a loss to do it. Then devs will start to pay attention.

I think Microsoft is going to do just that. With Windows and WP10 about ready, and some pent-up demand for new WP devices, deep roots in Enterprise, and deep pockets, their ducks are lined up.

I liked WP 7.5 for the beta it was. I haven't used WP 8.1 but I follow discussions on Windows Central. And WP10 looks promising. If BB10 tanks I'll take a careful look at WP10 as well as Chendroid, if the latter actually exists.
    The real driver will be the actual number of Win 10 devices that are either sold or upgraded from older versions. If the 1B number comes true it will be a significant boost for the platform.
    07-27-15 02:15 PM
    Nothing fresh... BlackBerry had done it before. If i' not wrong... during OS10.1 "era".
    No. BlackBerry offered a crappy Android RT that is hit and miss. Microsoft's solution takes Android source code and recompiles it into Windows code so that it runs natively on a Windows device. This requires more work, but the end result is much better. Microsoft has the pockets to wait it out and they will also have 1 billion Win 10 devices to use to attract devs to the platform.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-27-15 02:18 PM
    Funny, I have quite a few android apps having tried 74 so far & only a couple (that is 2) didn't run...
    miker476 likes this.
    07-27-15 02:23 PM
    While some of your points are valid, you REALLY should look into the facts behind some of your complaints.

When did I ever say something about BB10 apps?

I said BB10.

You mentioned Eco system. Generally when the term Eco system is thrown around it means apps and media along with some other things.

All apps bought on your BBID, proovided they are compatible with your new device, transfer. All apps bought on your Amazon account (provided the dev is not being a jerk andd blocking BlackBerry devices) transfer. It has little to do with the device and more with dev support (and users being smart and not getting new BBIDs for every single device).
    I'm aware of this. I even said it somewhat. What doesnt really transfer, and this is with personal experience, was the movies. I tried numerous times to download it to a new device like my Z30 from when I bought them on my Q10. Even the Playbook had issues with it. I can't even count how many times I needed/ tried to get refunds due to rovi's faulty system.Or even when I loaded a leaked OS to my Q10, I always got the message license expired or another reason I cannot recall.

Blame it on Rovi. BlackBerry never had a media service at all. They had a partnership - one that I was glad was there, but I really didn't like who they picked.
    I did blame rovi, but I mistakenly called them rovio.

I did mention this, I referred to it as clever wording.
    07-27-15 05:52 PM
    Funny, I have quite a few android apps having tried 74 so far & only a couple (that is 2) didn't run...
    Correct me if I am wrong, but you have a Passport? The HW on that device is much better than the Z30, so I would expect apps to not lag as much as they do on any other BB10 device. I've also had to patch quite a few apps, I'd say 30%. For the regular Joe this is not an app solution.
    07-27-15 06:33 PM
    to be honest I have removed my work emails from my BlackBerry its a nightmare to manage them....

Posted via CB10
    O.o

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 09:24 PM
    Yessiree...Passport...rankly he only lags are the phone calls (slow to answer) & assistant, sometimes fast, sometimes horribly slow... when working well, I love dictating to it... fairly accurate

Correct me if I am wrong, but you have a Passport? The HW on that device is much better than the Z30, so I would expect apps to not lag as much as they do on any other BB10 device. I've also had to patch quite a few apps, I'd say 30%. For the regular Joe this is not an app solution.
    07-27-15 10:02 PM
    I am surprised you say the email client isn't great. I had a windows phone for over 2 years and just switched to the passport. The reason I stayed with windows was the email client. Even now I can safely say I haven't used a better client for my personal and work email needs and I have used many.
    You get a windows phone for work emails you will never regret it. That thing is the boss when it comes to dealing with emails and responding organising, flagging, managing, ease of use and reliability.
    I never had a single problem and to be honest I have removed my work emails from my BlackBerry its a nightmare to manage them such that I get what I want and not every thing come through.

Posted via CB10
    One of the things I miss from BB 10 is the hub and being able to attach files directly to emails, it's much better than the current Windows Phone email client.
    07-28-15 12:14 AM
    BlackBerry 10 comes first earlier than Windows 10. It is way ahead of Windows 10! Stick with BlackBerry 10.. hehe!

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 12:30 AM
    I agree that bb10 now is better than windows 8.1 but I can foresee that the new windows has a great potential that said iOS9 is releasing soon so lots going on but at the end BlackBerry needs to offer a better service, os to stay in market and we all know that. BlackBerry offers security but that's not going to be special anymore with the new windows 10. Only time will tell.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 06:07 AM
243 12345 ...