Maybe BB11 would require more RAM. More than half of BB10 devices sold are Z10 so I don't see them stopping the support for it so soon. I would be pissed if they did.

3GB RAM .....uh-oh does this mean that OS 10.3 will require 3GB of RAM :O?? if so then blackberry z10,z30,q5,q10 wont be able to update to the newest OS 10.3
    11-18-13 09:17 AM
    I hope this is real. BlackBerry need a phone with up to date killer specs. I hate when all these Internet scientists come on her and say "you don't need quad core, you don't need 1080p screen" bla bla bla.
    Who cares. The truth is specs SELL!!

Posted via CB10
    They need to make a 5 inch qwerty.

sent from my galaxy note 3 via crackberry forums app.
    11-18-13 09:17 AM
    Dat camera.

If they could release this quickly, it would be a HUGE competitor. If they wait too long however, it'll be one step behind (spec wise) just like the other BB10 phones.

I don't care much about specs, but I get excited when I see 3GB of ram and a 3300mAH battery. THE POTENTIAL.
    I agree. That's exactly what is happening with the Z30. It is already a step behind in specs and it is just starting to be released in the US.
    11-18-13 09:18 AM
    What a lie
    11-18-13 09:19 AM
    1280x768 will no longer be used
    Whats wrong with this resolution? Z10 has it. So it won't be supported in the future?
    11-18-13 09:22 AM
    I am really interested in this device(if true) a 4"(like my Z10) device screen on a QWERTY...all i can ask!!!
    11-18-13 09:25 AM
    Q10 is already a great device! With a larger screen and upgrades my next choice will be the Q30 for sure! No doubt about it.
    11-18-13 09:25 AM
    One more time...

THIS IS FAKE.
    IT CAME FROM CONCEPTS FROM CB MEMBERS.

Only give this any attention if you're thinking it as a "what I would like for a Q30"

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 09:29 AM
    Really?

Hope that BlackBerry follow through with this and that's it's priced less than 300 GBP sim-free.

Geeks United C00122408
    PMSL yeh good luck with that, it wont be anywhere close to �300 let alone under it. Probably around �500-600 with those specs.
    11-18-13 09:29 AM
    It's to keep the resolution for all the apps...

BlackBerry stated they would keep screen resolutions at 720p so that developers would only have to make 2 versions of there app... for the Z screen size and the Q screen size
    That was a very shortsighted promise that BBRY made.
    That will already be out the window anyway with whatever we'll see for the next all-touch in 2014, be it the O series or a different name. Whatever it's called, it will surely have a 1080x1920 display. (The current Z50 rumour is 1080p fit into a 5.2" display.)

I don't understand why TV's that are already a few years old with weak processors can scale 720p signal onto a 1080p display or vice versa, but developers need to worry about this when the displays will have the same aspect ratio anyway. I must ignorant about the differences, so please educate me someone! (Yes, I know the difference between a TV and a smartphone, but is there any reason such scaling can't work?)
    11-18-13 09:38 AM
    One more time...

THIS IS FAKE.
    IT CAME FROM CONCEPTS FROM CB MEMBERS.

Only give this any attention if you're thinking it as a "what I would like for a Q30"
    Why you hatin'?
    Why can't we have this device? Just because you didn't hear about it first?

Totally kidding.
    I was pretty sure it was BS anyway from the screen ratio + plus screen size + keyboard all in a non-slider. Doesn't add up.
    Thanks to you and Ofutur for confirming.
    11-18-13 09:41 AM
    If anyone can read Italian, does the link cite the source[s]? As a long-term Mac fanboi, I know that most of the "rumors" come from people who look at those who build the components for Apple products, and not Apple itself...for the most part. Yet, with BlackBerry, the rumors seem to come out of thin air, or supposedly from BlackBlack itself (that is, a BlackBerry employee or someone "close" to the company).

I could be wrong, but considering the sheer amount of users here on CB alone who claim to know what is best for BlackBerry and future lineups (without having any experience with product design, market research, branding, etc.), my guess is that this is more of a wish-list than anything.

Will there be a "Q30"? Yes, eventually, but to think that a Q30 will be released so soon after the Q10, or to even want one to be, shows a bit of short-sightedness. Remember what happened when BlackBerry announced that the Z30 was the new flagship? Over night everyone with a Z10 all of sudden had the "budget" model....and the Z30 is not even available from most(?) retailers/providers.

I hope this is real. BlackBerry need a phone with up to date killer specs. I hate when all these Internet scientists come on her and say "you don't need quad core, you don't need 1080p screen" bla bla bla.
    Who cares. The truth is specs SELL!!

Posted via CB10
    Yes, sadly it is true that specs sell over true performance, and that the typical consumer has no idea that bench-marks matter more, but you are correct in the least regard. I am a former (freelance) graphic designer turned marketing manager turned real-life scientist (biologist). The whole point of BB10 was to initially keep, and perhaps recapture current and former BlackBerry users. Since the qwerty faithful were going to purchase a Q10, that is why BlackBerry released the Z10 first. From a marketing strategy, it was not a half bad idea. What BlackBerry now needs to do is finish rebranding itself first and foremost. Yes, that would include putting competitive handsets on the market, but that will not mean diddly in the long run if they cannot convince consumers to purchase. Outside of those who drink from the BlackBerry fountain, it won't matter how top-of-the-line the specs are or how much better BB10/BlackBerry than the rest if consumers still believe that BlackBerry is dying/dead; the phone that your parents use[d]; or something that is only for business people....if they even know these phones exists.

Without a proper marketing campaign, nothing BlackBerry does to garner sales will matter. Advertising is king, period.

Dat camera.

If they could release this quickly, it would be a HUGE competitor. If they wait too long however, it'll be one step behind (spec wise) just like the other BB10 phones.

I don't care much about specs, but I get excited when I see 3GB of ram and a 3300mAH battery. THE POTENTIAL.
    If they release it quickly, it would be a huge mistake. It would be advantageous to release a new Q5 with beefed up specs, but still below the Q10 while holding out on the Q30 until Q4 of 2014. In the meantime, BlackBerry needs to focus on BB10, get 10.2.1 out to everybody ASAP with a 10.2.X or 10.3 out by summer 2014.

They stated it didn't need a quad core due to the fact that they wanted to optimize it for the duel care agricultural first.
    Duel care agriculture? Interesting.

Q1 2014 is good, but Q4 release will put them behind the competition once again, if you purely look at specs.
    Not really. Q1 comes after the holiday ales season and is akin to waking up after the big party dragging your feet and mopping around hungover, so they will be behind already. Q4 2014 makes more sense as they can fall into all of the holiday shopping hoopla with the rest. Plus it would give BlackBerry a solid year to get their act together and come up with a successful marketing campaign.

The 64 bit octa-core specs may not be needed for regular users but IMHO it would attract a lot more apps into the ecosystem.. especially if they're not going to release on Q1

SQN100-3 pin:2AF2C952
    Ok, a few perhaps, but a lot more? I don't think so. And don't forget that the current app ecosystem would need to be retooled in order to work with the 64-bit architecture as not all 32-bit apps would work in a 64-bit environment. Most should, though.

But, people get things backwards. It does not go CPU-->Apps-->OS, it goes Apps-->OS-->CPU. That is, the CPU is the least important with the apps being the most, and in the middle is the OS that makes it all happen. RIM and Apple knew this; which is why both produced products that had awesome benchmarks on "lesser" hardware. A leaner, more efficient OS will do better for speed and performance over multiple cores any day, and, apps that are written to take advantage of not only the OS, but also the number of cores, will be even faster.

As for the "more bits", the whole point of 64-bit architecture is that the longer bits allows for more accurate pointing to and accessing spaces in memory; you do not need multiple processors to handle that and realistically a single-core 64-bit processor should be fast enough. Perhaps dual-core, but there really is not need for a quad-or-more core 64-bit processor in a smartphone. Look at the benchmarks for Apple's A6 chip (dual core) vs. the quad-cores found in other phones....Apple wins. The A7 is even going to be dual-core. Of course the number of cores is not that simple; as I mentioned you need an OS (and apps) that can address the number of cores, but you also need to look into chip design. Some chips are simple faster than others, and it has (some, but) little to do with number of cores. Apple is faster, despite lower cores, because Apple designed (so the rumors go) the chip to work with iOS, and iOS to work with the chip. The problem with Android, and BlackBerry, is that there is no chip manufactured to directly take advantage of Android OS, and Android OS is not designed to be used specifically with one brand/type of chip.

Anyways...I'm veering off topic here, but you should get the point.
    togarika likes this.
    11-18-13 09:42 AM
    Uh....*holiday sales..." lol
    11-18-13 09:47 AM
    Mad skills ) Attachment 221980
    Eh, keep in mind that the physical keyboard BBs were designed to be held and used with one hand. This thing looks like it would feel top-heavy and lopsided in the hand. Something this big would need to be a slider like the Torch.
    Last edited by crucial bbq; 11-18-13 at 09:53 AM. Reason: forget the be, yo!
    11-18-13 09:52 AM
    64 bit is pointless (and in fact harmful in terms of power consumption) unless you need more than 4GB of address space. Once you cross that barrier then it becomes reasonable. It serves no purpose otherwise.

The screen resolution issue, on the other hand, is real. And it's one that BlackBerry should have done right in the first place. The system should take care of scaling or windowing as the USER desires, allowing NATIVE resolution when connected to an external display (e.g. HDMI), and also making apps device and resolution-independent (future-proofing the design.)

It was IMHO a mistake not to do this, and none of the other platforms do it well either. Witness the mess many apps have on Android with various screen resolutions with fonts and such.

This is something Chen can and should fix, because it enables doing things like porting Open Office to the platform and having a TRUE mobile computer.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    11-18-13 09:54 AM
    Disclaimer: If you believe this device will exist, don't read the rest of my post!

This is getting hilarious! SirJes, just grab the popcorn and sit back.

It is rather funny watching people fight over an Italian webpage citing another Italian page quoting some c**p from the CB forums.

Though this concept wouldn't work at all...in any way (unless witchcraft is a way).
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    11-18-13 10:17 AM
    Interesting, if true.

Here's the specs, in Italian mind you, but you should get the gist:

So, notable highlights to me are:
    • QWERTY
    • 2.3GHz quad-core proc
    • 4" touchscreen, OLED, 1280x768
    • 3GB RAM
    • 16GB device storage
    • BB10 OS 10.3
    • Non-removable 3300 mAh battery
    • 16MB main camera + 5MB front camera
    • No wireless AC added
    • CDMA not specified (might just be non-CDMA variant, obviously)
    Why was display only 1280x768 resolution ?

BlackBerry stated they would keep screen resolutions at 720p so that developers would only have to make 2 versions of there app... for the Z screen size and the Q screen size

Posted on my Z10.... At your Girls House!!!
    Ok, I'm confused here - this is a QWERTY but with a 4" rectangular screen? Yet it was stated at launch that only the Z10 would have the 768 px. All subsequent models would have 720 px. Or am I missing something?
    11-18-13 10:17 AM
    Ok, I'm confused here - this is a QWERTY but with a 4" rectangular screen? Yet it was stated at launch that only the Z10 would have the 768 px. All subsequent models would have 720 px. Or am I missing something?
    Missing pretty much everything, mate. ;-)
    11-18-13 10:20 AM
    That was a very shortsighted promise that BBRY made.
    That will already be out the window anyway with whatever we'll see for the next all-touch in 2014, be it the O series or a different name. Whatever it's called, it will surely have a 1080x1920 display. (The current Z50 rumour is 1080p fit into a 5.2" display.)

I don't understand why TV's that are already a few years old with weak processors can scale 720p signal onto a 1080p display or vice versa, but developers need to worry about this when the displays will have the same aspect ratio anyway. I must ignorant about the differences, so please educate me someone! (Yes, I know the difference between a TV and a smartphone, but is there any reason such scaling can't work?)
    BlackBerry had made that promise for the ease of use to the developers...

BlackBerry going into the launch of BlackBerry 10 had to make developing for the platform as easy as possible, so they chose to stick with a scaled down (yet still amazing) screen resolution to keep the standard there so that they could get as many developers on board before throwing a mix of resolutions at them

That's what's wrong with android... you have every aspect ratio/ resolution known to man so many apps are stretched and compressed to try to fit the screen size and it's just becomes a mess (i had the first Galaxy Note and it was very noticeable) ...

BlackBerry was smart because they are allowing developers to first build and maintain their apps so that once the 1080p resolution phones drop it's not a huge trouble to fix because their app is already built...

So for the future phone to sport 1080p won't be a problem (mostly) because they already have developers invested, so the change won't be hard... its exactly the same strategy that Apple has implemented and it worked fine for them

So having these higher resolution phones won't be a problem, and i wouldn't be surprised if BlackBerry still stuck with 720p for one more year (although I'll advised)

And to answer your question, it's all about the quality... sure, you can try to scale a 720p app on a 1080p screen and it will still run as smooth as it was originally intended, but for all those spec whores and screen freaks they'll be able to tell the difference (somehow) and point it out....

Quality Control over everything

It's better to have apps run 720p on a 720p screen that try to up size (at the moment) for quality purposes

11-18-13 10:23 AM
    Whats wrong with this resolution? Z10 has it. So it won't be supported in the future?
    Different screen sizes - BlackBerry Developer
    11-18-13 10:25 AM
    If anyone can read Italian, does the link cite the source[s]? As a long-term Mac fanboi, I know that most of the "rumors" come from people who look at those who build the components for Apple products, and not Apple itself...for the most part. Yet, with BlackBerry, the rumors seem to come out of thin air, or supposedly from BlackBlack itself (that is, a BlackBerry employee or someone "close" to the company).

I could be wrong, but considering the sheer amount of users here on CB alone who claim to know what is best for BlackBerry and future lineups (without having any experience with product design, market research, branding, etc.), my guess is that this is more of a wish-list than anything.

Will there be a "Q30"? Yes, eventually, but to think that a Q30 will be released so soon after the Q10, or to even want one to be, shows a bit of short-sightedness. Remember what happened when BlackBerry announced that the Z30 was the new flagship? Over night everyone with a Z10 all of sudden had the "budget" model....and the Z30 is not even available from most(?) retailers/providers.

Yes, sadly it is true that specs sell over true performance, and that the typical consumer has no idea that bench-marks matter more, but you are correct in the least regard. I am a former (freelance) graphic designer turned marketing manager turned real-life scientist (biologist). The whole point of BB10 was to initially keep, and perhaps recapture current and former BlackBerry users. Since the qwerty faithful were going to purchase a Q10, that is why BlackBerry released the Z10 first. From a marketing strategy, it was not a half bad idea. What BlackBerry now needs to do is finish rebranding itself first and foremost. Yes, that would include putting competitive handsets on the market, but that will not mean diddly in the long run if they cannot convince consumers to purchase. Outside of those who drink from the BlackBerry fountain, it won't matter how top-of-the-line the specs are or how much better BB10/BlackBerry than the rest if consumers still believe that BlackBerry is dying/dead; the phone that your parents use[d]; or something that is only for business people....if they even know these phones exists.

Without a proper marketing campaign, nothing BlackBerry does to garner sales will matter. Advertising is king, period.

If they release it quickly, it would be a huge mistake. It would be advantageous to release a new Q5 with beefed up specs, but still below the Q10 while holding out on the Q30 until Q4 of 2014. In the meantime, BlackBerry needs to focus on BB10, get 10.2.1 out to everybody ASAP with a 10.2.X or 10.3 out by summer 2014.

Duel care agriculture? Interesting.

Not really. Q1 comes after the holiday ales season and is akin to waking up after the big party dragging your feet and mopping around hungover, so they will be behind already. Q4 2014 makes more sense as they can fall into all of the holiday shopping hoopla with the rest. Plus it would give BlackBerry a solid year to get their act together and come up with a successful marketing campaign.

Ok, a few perhaps, but a lot more? I don't think so. And don't forget that the current app ecosystem would need to be retooled in order to work with the 64-bit architecture as not all 32-bit apps would work in a 64-bit environment. Most should, though.

But, people get things backwards. It does not go CPU-->Apps-->OS, it goes Apps-->OS-->CPU. That is, the CPU is the least important with the apps being the most, and in the middle is the OS that makes it all happen. RIM and Apple knew this; which is why both produced products that had awesome benchmarks on "lesser" hardware. A leaner, more efficient OS will do better for speed and performance over multiple cores any day, and, apps that are written to take advantage of not only the OS, but also the number of cores, will be even faster.

As for the "more bits", the whole point of 64-bit architecture is that the longer bits allows for more accurate pointing to and accessing spaces in memory; you do not need multiple processors to handle that and realistically a single-core 64-bit processor should be fast enough. Perhaps dual-core, but there really is not need for a quad-or-more core 64-bit processor in a smartphone. Look at the benchmarks for Apple's A6 chip (dual core) vs. the quad-cores found in other phones....Apple wins. The A7 is even going to be dual-core. Of course the number of cores is not that simple; as I mentioned you need an OS (and apps) that can address the number of cores, but you also need to look into chip design. Some chips are simple faster than others, and it has (some, but) little to do with number of cores. Apple is faster, despite lower cores, because Apple designed (so the rumors go) the chip to work with iOS, and iOS to work with the chip. The problem with Android, and BlackBerry, is that there is no chip manufactured to directly take advantage of Android OS, and Android OS is not designed to be used specifically with one brand/type of chip.

Anyways...I'm veering off topic here, but you should get the point.
    Lol I meant duel-core...

BlackBerry, as you said, had focused on optimising their OS on duel-core processors instead of just slapping in X number of cores and hoping it runs smoothly...

Props for wording it so nicely

11-18-13 10:28 AM
    As others have pointed out, the dimensions are off. Too wide and long for a 4 inch slider and too narrow and too long for a 4 inch Q.

It is possible that BB dusted off their Slider prototype Milan and upgraded some specs.
    Elite1 likes this.
    11-18-13 10:43 AM
    Mad skills ) Attachment 221980
    I'd buy it now!
    Even if 1:1 aspect ratio had one benefit: no landscape mode, with a keyboard it looks a little dumb.
    I'm also surprised that specs announced (14.2 x7.5) should allow a bigger screen, like a 4.2" or am i wrong?

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 10:44 AM
    Let's hope this time the specs are true!
    I don't want them to be true.

If it's for Business folk, it needs a Removable Battery.

Also, why no 802.11 ac?

& finally, no wireless charging?

That being said, I don't think they are true. Besides the above missing features, there are a lot of inconsistencies in the specs.

Oh & for the people talking about BlackBerry saying 720*720 was promised by BlackBerry. They said that the resolution wouldnt change for a while, they didn't say they would never change. They were addressing the issue with BBOS where every new phone had a new resolution. I think they should go to 1080 next year on the Z series just to shut the critics up. 720 is good enough for the Q series though. My email doesn't need to be 1080, but I wouldn't complain if it was; provided that it doesn't effect battery or phone temperature

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BBPandy; 11-18-13 at 11:22 AM.
    11-18-13 11:02 AM
    To be frank they have not sold enough BB10 devices for this to be an issue. If BB makes it and stays in the HW biz they will sell more newer devices with 1080p than what has been already sold. So by that logic unless they want to support the 100Ks of Z10s locked in a warehouse there is no market reason to stick with 720p apart from cost & battery life. To legitimate reasons to be sure.

11-18-13 11:04 AM
249 12345 ...