12-10-14 08:31 PM
144 ... 3456
tools
    I have access to a postal box with a US address in Lewiston, NY. I'm hoping to order one from the US for $499 on black Friday but i'm wondering if the Red version will have the same price or even be available?

Sent from my Z10. Or was it my Q10? Either way, it was sent from an awesome phone.
    11-23-14 02:13 PM
    you write like you heard "black friday" first time
    No, and the world does not consist of United States. Nobody except US has that holiday. It only started in Canada a couple of years back and only because Canadian businesses were loosing business to the US retailers during the Black Friday week.

Now, the point that everyone seems to constantly be missing is that BlackBerry is devaluing it's brand and product by doing this so soon after the launch. I know what they want, I get that, score more sales. Nothing wrong with that. However, Passport is their flagship product, it was just released, and it's already getting deep discounts. Moreover, by advertising the Passport at $499, they are demonstrating that they can sell it for much lower than their asking price. Why would anyone after this buy Passports at $699? First, it's a middle finger to early adopters, the loyal BlackBerry customers. Second, it's a middle finger to all Canadians who are now officially overpaying for this device in excess of $200. So you explain to me please, how is it "good" to tank the value of your flagship product so fast after launch?

Before some doofus posts how it's $599 in Canada, it's irrelevant. Canadians have been paying a $200 premium compared to the new US price.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 02:31 PM
    No, and the world does not consist of United States. Nobody except US has that holiday. It only started in Canada a couple of years back and only because Canadian businesses were loosing business to the US retailers during the Black Friday week.

Now, the point that everyone seems to constantly be missing is that BlackBerry is devaluing it's brand and product by doing this so soon after the launch. I know what they want, I get that, score more sales. Nothing wrong with that. However, Passport is their flagship product, it was just released, and it's already getting deep discounts. Moreover, by advertising the Passport at $499, they are demonstrating that they can sell it for much lower than their asking price. Why would anyone after this buy Passports at $699? First, it's a middle finger to early adopters, the loyal BlackBerry customers. Second, it's a middle finger to all Canadians who are now officially overpaying for this device in excess of $200. So you explain to me please, how is it "good" to tank the value of your flagship product so fast after launch?

Before some doofus posts how it's $599 in Canada, it's irrelevant. Canadians have been paying a $200 premium compared to the new US price.

Posted via CB10
    How, the Black Friday discount for USA in USA store for Black Friday is devaluing brand?

in regards your logic:
    Amazon.com deal for iPhone 6:

Apple iPhone 6, Space Gray, 16 GB (Unlocked)
    by Apple
    List Price: $1,069.99
    Price: $754.94 & FREE SHIPPING
    You Save: $315.05 (29%)

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPhone-S...UvbUpU11105254
    So how does this devalue brand? and all your arguments?
    11-23-14 02:40 PM
    It's not about US price for US market. It's the message sent by discounting a product so deeply from the supposed retail price so short after the release date. The $499 price is almost 30% below retail. Why does it need to be so cheap if the phone is as good as BlackBerry says it is and it's selling so well? It doesn't even make sense with the whole high margin low volume idea they seem to want to push. It's quite the opposite.

Also, the link you posted has *nothing* to do with Apple. Retail price of an unlocked, 16GB Space Gray iPhone 6 directly from Apple is and always has been $649 US. The link you posted is from some 3rd party Amazon Marketplace seller who's clearly trying to profit off of some poor sap unwilling to wait for their shipment from Apple or doesn't read (case in point demonstrated by you). Come back to me with a Black Friday deal for an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus from Apple directly and we'll talk.

http://aos.prf.hn/click/camref:1100l...iphone/iphone6

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 03:13 PM
    If the Passport has been selling so well, then why drop the price so soon after launch?

Just wondering...

Posted via CB10
    And why would you think anyone on this forum would have a knowledgeable answer to this question? If you want an answer rather than pure and completely unsubstantiated guessing, why not ask BlackBerry and come back to us with the answer?

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 03:34 PM
    This thread needs a "do not feed the trolls" sign, hahah
    mister2d likes this.
    11-23-14 03:35 PM
    Does anyone remember the controversial price drop on the original iPhone?

https://www.apple.com/pr/library/200...ay-Season.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_iPhone

I took full advantage of it

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 03:51 PM
    So tempted at $499. Amazing deal. Just can't justify it to my wife. Ug!

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 04:12 PM
    Good. It's insane to drop the price of your flagship product by ~20% not even two months after launch. Completely sends the wrong message. You should have seen a flurry of people contacting me on my Craigslist add for a Passport for sale wanting to buy it for $400 because BlackBerry decided to drop the price by $100.

Posted via CB10
    I think you will see some deals on iPhone 6s on Friday also.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 04:13 PM

Since you keep comparing to Apple, do you think Apple's decision to drop the iPhone's price by *$200* *two months* after release back in 2007 was a mistake? I mean, that decision totally undervalued the iPhone, "gave the middle finger to its early adopters", and probably tanked their flagship product, right? History has shown us this decision was a fail, right?

Read the New York Times article I linked to in a previous post (which you've yet to address). The speculation was that the iPhone wasn't hitting the 1 million unit goal Jobs had set for it, so the price drop, which *wasn't* temporary and wasn't due to holiday pricing. What's wrong with BlackBerry employing the same strategy? (You're praising Apple's decisions, after all.) Many people on CrackBerry have complained that BlackBerry wasn't aggressive enough with their pricing to reach /new/ adopters. Maybe this will help.

BlackBerry doesn't have carrier sales channels in the U.S. Apple has tons. Those carriers are *all* advertising the iPhone 6/6+ at huge discounted prices, even $0 down. The U.S. consumer only sees "free". How does BlackBerry compete with that? The U.S. carriers have committed to buying /set/ volumes of iPhones so its their onus to sell all of them. There is no incentive for Apple to undercut their partners... and maybe there's a contractual item that prevents Apple from so (speculation on my part).

BlackBerry direct isn't competing with Apple direct because BlackBerry direct is competing with carrier pricing. The consumer buys from the cheapest source and doesn't care if it's direct from the original manufacturer or not.

As for Canadians paying "$200 premiums" over their U.S. counterparts...

Passport pricing U.S. vs Canadian

$599 USD ($673 CAD) vs $699 CAD [Launch]
    $499 USD ($561 CAD) vs $599 CAD [Black Friday]

Z30 pricing U.S. vs Canadian

$299 USD ($336 CAD) vs $299 CAD (then $349 CAD after stock was replenished) [Sale]
    $225 USD ($253 CAD) vs $249 CAD [Black Friday]

It's the rest of the world that is paying a premium.

If you're personally bummed about paying more at launch, here's what Jobs has to say to you:

"Mr. Jobs defended the price cut as the right thing to do and, referring to his 30-year history in the high-tech business, lectured his readers about the risks and rewards of buying into a fast-changing and volatile market for consumer technology products. “This is life in the technology lane,” he wrote." - NY Times article
    11-23-14 04:22 PM

History of the iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yeah, I did, in post #75.
    11-23-14 04:25 PM
    Oops, sorry missed that.
    @cbvinh

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 05:00 PM
    I'm eligible now with ATT (my 2 year plan ends 4/15)..to get the iPhone 6 and 6plus. Payment plan on their new managed share plan. Works out to being $549 for the 6.
    So obvious discount there.and I agree,in US, black Friday may see it discounted.

I have held out,waiting on a price drop, (or ATT)..Will get it now. So I think sale is smart move. And i know in a couple months it will be cheaper, or cheaper when ATT puts it out.

I won't be pissed that I paid what I pay now. It happened with my Z10. It will happen with Passport.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 05:36 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_iPhone

I took full advantage of it

Posted via CB10
    Yes I remember because I was one of them.

I was first pissed because Apple dropped the price, then I was pissed that they gave me a $200 voucher that couldn't buy anything in their store (had to spend $50 more to buy a Nano), pissed once more that I paid $600 for a locked phone, then lastly pissed once more because Apple said the reason the iPhone couldn't do mms was because it wasn't powerful enough.

So yea...no, BlackBerry please don't follow crApple. I'm glad I broke free of that ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 07:10 PM
    Got it! thought I flunked big time, wasted no time as soon as I saw it was back to $499 on Amazon. The thing is also over here in Nigeria the exchange rate has gone crazy (always does close to Christmas) so the prices have gone up, with this deal it will be landing sweetly in my hands for between 200-300 dollars less!
    11-24-14 03:26 AM
    Uhm guys prices change, sales happen, they go on sale. Its patience vs the privilege of being an early adopter and getting one first. You had the option to wait so shush and let us who want one but need it to be cheaper keep waiting in peace. Look at the z30 for 250. And honestly the sticker price of a phone has VERY little to do with perceived brand value.
    11-24-14 07:32 AM
    cool

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 08:00 AM
    In. Just got my Z30 last week, but this is too good to pass up. The Z30 is going back, the Passport is already ordered.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 08:25 AM
    @the "Apple did it too" crowd - the two circumstances were so far apart you can *never* compare them. In 2007 the market that Apple went after did not exist, at all. They created the market. They went into it with no reference point and with nothing to lose realistically since the entire notion of launching a consumer oriented, all touch smartphone was a huge gamble in itself.

BlackBerry isn't breaking any new ground here. They're doing the "me too" thing and in the process can't seem to get their pricing right or avoid pissing off customers. Regardless, loyalists will seemingly take anything that BlackBerry dishes out, right or wrong. Hence why this will largely pass over quietly, unlike Apple in 2007 (ha!).

Maybe BlackBerry is redefining low volume high margin, hahahahaha.

Alas, I'll keep enjoying my Passport despite BlackBerry's stupidity.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 09:38 AM
    There is no "Apple did it too" crowd. Just one troll that has taken this BlackBerry Black Friday thing personal.

Posted via CB10
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    11-24-14 09:50 AM
    These are the fees that are charged for importing your phone in to the UK from the US. You're required to pay duties and taxes in your receiving country which are not part of the current amazon price.

Posted via CB10 using Z30 STA100-5/10.2.1.3247
    Yikes. I do the opposite often, buying from Amazon France and Amazon UK, shipping to the US and never having to pay duties or tax.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 10:32 AM
    Bought the Z30.
    Gonna sell my Z10 (check marketplace on this site) and use the Z30 as a backup.
    My Passport, no use sending it back. But do you think Amazon will credit me the difference? I just got the Passport.
    11-24-14 10:38 AM
    There is no "Apple did it too" crowd. Just one troll that has taken this BlackBerry Black Friday thing personal.

Posted via CB10
    That's very cute.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 10:45 AM
    Not sure if it was posted yet, but I bought my Passport last week for $599 I called Amazon yesterday and asked them to refund me the $100 and they did. Technically they no longer do price adjustments, but they did a "goodwill" refund. Give them a call I'm sure they will do the same for others.
    11-24-14 11:05 AM
    Just ordered one, thx OP!
    11-24-14 11:15 AM
144 ... 3456