some of the stuff in your post is stuff bb has already done especially keeping it expensive just look at what good its done them
    05-04-16 08:11 PM
    There was no iPhone and there was no Android. They had a great product but they were the best by default in a way. They failed to change. They failed to see the change and then they failed to react. Everything else is meaningless!
    Agree. Same case to Nokia in the past. They had no changes or changed too late.
    05-04-16 10:20 PM
    once i wanna try bb
    05-05-16 02:08 AM
    Another day, another BB10 begging thread.

- CrackBerry
    05-05-16 03:35 AM
    Ideally, if BB is moving the majority of their handsets to android, they could try to do what Samsung does with Tizen and have a smaller number of products running BB10. That means--BB on android has to be successful. Otherwise, it won't happen. BlackBerry has to deal with their product cycle in order to stay in the game. We are now trained to expect a new version every year. Hopefully if BB can do this without hurting the quality, they'll keep in the game (HTC/Motorola), but they're not going to be a big player again (Samsung/Apple) for a long time if they can regain that mantle.

I think they could do a loyalty program for the die-hards. Even with the drop to $649US, it's not a great enticement to keep BB fans in the family even if it's a switch to android.
    05-05-16 09:42 AM
    Ideally, if BB is moving the majority of their handsets to android, they could try to do what Samsung does with Tizen and have a smaller number of products running BB10. That means--BB on android has to be successful. Otherwise, it won't happen.
    • Samsung is hugely diversified and makes billions of dollars in profit every quarter, even if you don't count the smartphone business at all. They can afford a boutique OS. BB has been losing money every quarter since 2012 - that's a very different situation.
    • Tizen doesn't contain Android code (yes, a third-party Android Runtime can be installed on it by users, but for this discussion, that's irrelevant), so Tizen has no dependencies on Google, and isn't subject to Google licensing. BB10 contains Android code, and when BB licensed GMS (Google Mobile Services, including official access to the Play Store), they agreed they could no longer make devices containing non-Google-certified Android code. This means that the only way any new BB10 devices could be made is to remove the Android Runtime.
    • BB has reassigned or laid off nearly the entire BB10 team - that's several hundred people - with only a small skeleton crew remaining to handle the security updates. Those laid-off people aren't sitting around waiting for BB to call them back - they've moved on. BB would have to hire a big team of new developers, and spend 9-12 months getting them up to speed, before they could even start working on a new BB10 device. This would cost several hundred million dollars - they'd have to lease more office space, equip that space, etc. etc.
    • BB ended BB10 because of its huge costs - because they could make phones running Android for a ton less money. Why would they take on that expense again - that they can't afford - just to sell a relative handful of phones?

No, the truth is that BB10 is done - in fact, it was done a year ago when the Leap was launched and the lay-offs took place. It's been in "extended support" mode since then, which is the final phase before EOL (end of life). Most people here have accepted this, and for those who haven't, now would be a good time...
    05-05-16 10:33 AM
    Not dead at all. They designed and produced every type of device so they have all of that software and knowledge saved. Foxconn could produce a device easy with that information. Or did someone delete it all as worthless scrap. He'll little WebOs lives in tvs. BB10 is too big to disappear.

Posted from a wireless charging Passport. Get one!
    05-05-16 11:27 AM
    If we make enough noise, it might yet happen. Maybe Chen sees that the the Passport still sells and he makes another batch. Then he decides to do a follow up with a full touchscreen.

Posted via CB10
    By the time you joined CrackBerry, BlackBerry ha already become deaf from all our noise.
    05-05-16 01:07 PM
    This OP thinks hardware is the answer lol
    05-05-16 01:13 PM
    • Samsung is hugely diversified and makes billions of dollars in profit every quarter, even if you don't count the smartphone business at all. They can afford a boutique OS. BB has been losing money every quarter since 2012 - that's a very different situation.
    • Tizen doesn't contain Android code (yes, a third-party Android Runtime can be installed on it by users, but for this discussion, that's irrelevant), so Tizen has no dependencies on Google, and isn't subject to Google licensing. BB10 contains Android code, and when BB licensed GMS (Google Mobile Services, including official access to the Play Store), they agreed they could no longer make devices containing non-Google-certified Android code. This means that the only way any new BB10 devices could be made is to remove the Android Runtime.
    • BB has reassigned or laid off nearly the entire BB10 team - that's several hundred people - with only a small skeleton crew remaining to handle the security updates. Those laid-off people aren't sitting around waiting for BB to call them back - they've moved on. BB would have to hire a big team of new developers, and spend 9-12 months getting them up to speed, before they could even start working on a new BB10 device. This would cost several hundred million dollars - they'd have to lease more office space, equip that space, etc. etc.
    • BB ended BB10 because of its huge costs - because they could make phones running Android for a ton less money. Why would they take on that expense again - that they can't afford - just to sell a relative handful of phones?

No, the truth is that BB10 is done - in fact, it was done a year ago when the Leap was launched and the lay-offs took place. It's been in "extended support" mode since then, which is the final phase before EOL (end of life). Most people here have accepted this, and for those who haven't, now would be a good time...
    You are doing a tedious yet thankless job at preaching to people to give up on BB10. I wonder what's in it for you that you are so zealous.
    05-05-16 10:32 PM
    You are doing a tedious yet thankless job at preaching to people to give up on BB10. I wonder what's in it for you that you are so zealous.
    Many are playing Don Quixote, believing they can will BB10 a future, against all evidence to the contrary. What's in it for them? It's all opinion, some supported more by fact than others.

PS - Troy is thanked regularly
    app_Developer, DrBoomBotz and Polt like this.
    05-05-16 11:50 PM
    Not dead at all. They designed and produced every type of device so they have all of that software and knowledge saved. Foxconn could produce a device easy with that information. Or did someone delete it all as worthless scrap. He'll little WebOs lives in tvs. BB10 is too big to disappear.

BB10 isn't too big to fail. It's probably better described as too small to succeed.
    05-06-16 12:02 AM
    There is no better OS. So I wouldn't call it a fail or dead. If it ducked then yes but BlackBerry 10 doesn't suck. Just not as popular and we all know. Apps. . Yeah right.

05-06-16 12:39 PM
    There is no better OS. So I wouldn't call it a fail or dead. If it ducked then yes but BlackBerry 10 doesn't suck. Just not as popular and we all know. Apps. . Yeah right.

That was a pitiful rebuttal.
    05-06-16 08:55 PM
    Who are all these Android people that come on here and ridicule Blackberry's last operating system?

Look, Chen made a business decision not to develop BB10 further. Or so it seems. It's possible that Chen or someone that replaces him could change course. Maybe it's not likely, but it's possible because we think that BB is neglecting a loyal core of users.

Microsoft's failure to sell enough Windows phones doesn't mean that Blackberry had to fail or couldn't sell more BB10 phones.
    05-06-16 09:17 PM
    Who are all these Android people that come on here and ridicule Blackberry's last operating system?
    Who/what are you talking about?
    05-06-16 09:28 PM
    Many are playing Don Quixote, believing they can will BB10 a future, against all evidence to the contrary. What's in it for them? It's all opinion, some supported more by fact than others.

PS - Troy is thanked regularly
    It's one thing to express your opinion and or explain why you use an OS and device, it is quite something else to preach to others to convert to a different OS and tell them that they don't know what they are doing...

Otherwise, I agree that when he refrains from preaching and sticks to analysis, his posts are good. The problem is that those good posts are devalued by the fact that he often sounds like a hired hand, by either Chen or Google, losing credibility.
    05-06-16 10:04 PM
    It's one thing to express your opinion and or explain why you use an OS and device, it is quite something else to preach to others to convert to a different OS and tell them that they don't know what they are doing...
    If this is commentary on Troy's posts, please, quote where he preaches the need to change, or ignorance. Sure, anyone who recognizes BB10 is EOL will suggest a different platform will need to be chosen at some future point. I'm facing, and have stated that fact myself.

I commend those with blind faith, for their commitment to the brand and OS. There is nothing else I'd prefer to use. They/you shouldn't take these discussions so personally. It's the sunset years, and like so many still rocking BBOS phones, the light on the horizon may linger for quite a few years to come.
    05-06-16 10:21 PM
    If this is commentary on Troy's posts, please, quote where he preaches the need to change, or ignorance. Sure, anyone who recognizes BB10 is EOL will suggest a different platform will need to be chosen at some future point. I'm facing, and have stated that fact myself.

I commend those with blind faith, for their commitment to the brand and OS. There is nothing else I'd prefer to use. They/you shouldn't take these discussions so personally. It's the sunset years, and like so many still rocking BBOS phones, the light on the horizon may linger for quite a few years to come.
    You are speculating that I have blind faith or that I take the posts personally. I don't. I have used many OS-es over the last 36 years or so. I am not emotionally attached to any of them and I was one of the first who posted here when Chen was hired in the fall of 2013 that his mission was to kill bb10, among others.
    So I am not one of those who think that bb10 will be revived. But I plan to use it for as long as I can, because for me and my use scenario, it is better than android, IoS or windows.

You replied to a post of mine in which I was commenting to a post in which Troy was telling everyone to accept that BB10 was dead and to accept it.

See post #35.
    05-06-16 10:28 PM
    You are speculating. You reply to a post of mine in which I was commenting to a post in which troy was telling everyone to accept that BB10 is dead and to move on.
    You may choose not to believe it, but there's no speculation occurring. As for telling everyone to move on, reread the post. He never said that, not once.
    05-06-16 10:35 PM
    You may choose not to believe it, but there's no speculation occurring. As for telling everyone to move on, reread the post. He never said that, not once.
    To "accept it". There are also other emails in several other threads. But you are right. It's not important. It's a free world. Everyone can preach.
    And you are definitely speculating when you write that I have blind faith. I certainly don't have any faith in BlackBerry...any faith period!
    05-06-16 10:38 PM
    You are speculating that I have blind faith or that I take the posts personally. I don't. I have used many OS-es over the last 36 years or so. I am not emotionally attached to any of them and I was one of the first who posted here when Chen was hired in the fall of 2013 that his mission was to kill bb10, among others.
    So I am not one of those who think that bb10 will be revived. But I plan to use it for as long as I can, because for me and my use scenario, it is better than android, IoS or windows.

You replied to a post of mine in which I was commenting to a post in which Troy was telling everyone to accept that BB10 was dead and to accept it.

See post #35.
    I directed the first paragraph at you.
    05-06-16 10:42 PM
    I directed the first paragraph at you.
    I know you did. That's why I rebutted you on it ;-)
    Post #35 is my reply to Troy. It quotes his original post. His last paragraph is what we are talking about.
    05-06-16 10:46 PM
    I know you did. That's why I rebutted you on it ;-)
    LoL! I didn't say you had blind faith. I commended those who do. They will in the end find out the terribly disappointing reality. I pray it doesn't hit them too hard.
    05-06-16 10:51 PM
    LoL! I didn't say you had blind faith. I commended those who do. They will in the end find out the terribly disappointing reality. I pray it doesn't hit them too hard.
    Then read post #44 where you say that you "commend those who have blind faith". It was before the one I replied about "blind faith".
    And then you continued with "them/you". Anyway, we are hogging the thread for no good reason.
    Last edited by sorinv; 05-06-16 at 11:05 PM.
    05-06-16 10:53 PM
74 123