First proper, standardised review of Passport just posted online. Enjoy.

BlackBerry Passport review: Ticket to ride - GSMArena.com
    10-15-14 05:19 PM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 05:23 PM
    What a positive review! They even end the article with: good to have you back BlackBerry!
    10-15-14 05:37 PM
    "From our time with it, we can safely conclude that the Passport will have an easy one drawing the attention of business users back to BlackBerry's camp thanks to all its novelty, high-grade execution and of course, helped by the BlackBerry Internet Services. It's certainly been a while since we've been able to say that about a BlackBerry device. It's good to have you back, BB."

Quite an in-depth comparison with other phones. It's too bad the Benchmarks are optimized for Android and really don't do it justice.

In any case, the importance of this is the fact that they also took the time to flesh out 10.3 in a more positive light.
    Last edited by AnimalPak200; 10-15-14 at 06:13 PM.
    10-15-14 05:42 PM
    Ummm... why are the bench marks so low?

Worst Web browser... but my z10 one was the best... I don't think they tested right

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 05:50 PM
    they say it uses BIS? the reviewer is clueless then...

also i am pretty sure its got 4k video recording.
    10-15-14 06:01 PM
    I guessing he was referring to blend.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 06:02 PM
    As a physical keyboard guy who has struggled on many touch type screen keyboards my take away is this:

It not only looks back at a time when smartphone controls were approached differently, but forces us to question why they were changed to begin with.
    10-15-14 06:04 PM

Worst Web browser... but my z10 one was the best... I don't think they tested right

Posted via CB10
    they dont have native benchmarking tools for most of the tests and have to use android i would assume which are not going to be as high as on an actual android
    10-15-14 06:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    That's what I was wondering about too. I get that the system benchmarks are hobbled by the android runtime, but I find those browser benchmarks suspect. I mean,.. I've used Chrome on an S4 and Safari on a 5S, and ... they certainly don't leave behind the Passport by any measure. They're definitely not 300% faster, as the benchmarks suggest.

The author even states that, despite the low browser benchmarks, pages loaded without a hitch... lol

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 06:05 PM
    Another thing is this:

Biggest mobile phone review website loves Passport!!-img_20141015_191103.png

Unless the chart is "lowest is better" (which doesn't make sense for a "contrast ratio" value), are they seriously saying that the Z30 has better sunlight visibility than the Passport? lol

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 06:12 PM
    The author does a good review.

Objectively looks at the PP and gives an unbiased opinion.

The benchmark numbers did seem strange, but I'm not a specs guy so I kind of breezed over that part.

He/she/it (I didn't look at the name) did a good job. I'll have to find out who it was and pay attention to their reviews going forward, regardless of platform.

GBA
    10-15-14 06:21 PM
    Made me laugh as well the bit about contrast in sunlight. I can categorically say that the Z30 was near impossible to see in direct sunlight.

Passport is much easier to see in direct sunlight, thank god they didn't use amoled like the z30.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 06:32 PM
    Thanks OP. Nice to see a solid in depth review.

The author did mention several times that the benchmarks were based on android, and later when reviewing the web browser, expressed surprise at how quickly the web browser loaded up given the benchmarks.

All in all a good review.

Posted via CB10
    rwestiv likes this.
    10-15-14 06:38 PM

I am willing to let go of that one small mistake in an otherwise solid review.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 06:46 PM

No 4K yet... that was only spotted as being tested a while ago.

Posted via CB10
    howarmat likes this.
    10-15-14 07:09 PM
    It's a great innovative phone and that's all that matters right now
    10-15-14 07:59 PM
    While not perfect this is very close to what you can call an objective review.

I wish children at the Verge saw this one.
    10-16-14 05:09 AM
    They should have also reviewed Blend. But fair enough the review. I think this review will attract a bunch of new people to BlackBerry. Time will tell us.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 05:54 AM
    The only flaw I saw (aside from the strange browser results.... we all know bb10 is near to desktop quality in speed) was that there IS a private browsing mode (what the reviewer calls incognito).

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    10-16-14 10:42 AM
    I think I remember a post stating that the hardware is capable of supporting 4k recording, but the OS does not support it yet. Maybe in a future update. Focus on making it great out of the box, and then make it better later.
    10-16-14 11:02 AM
    On page 9 he said he tried side loading an app from pc after talking about BlackBerry World, but they didn't mention native apk installation or even the amazon app store.. making it seem like it's still the same as before..

But it's a positive-ish review non the less

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.634
    10-16-14 11:33 AM
    The reviewer also states that taking a photo during video recording was not possible; but it is. All in all, pretty good review. I hope BB starts some marketing soon and uses some of the good quotes found in these reviews. They have to get the word out..and get AT&T to release it here in the States NOW!
    10-16-14 11:49 AM
    they dont have native benchmarking tools for most of the tests and have to use android i would assume which are not going to be as high as on an actual android
    Those I get, and I don't understand how the reviewer didn't get that. But I mean the browser ones... my Z10 scored higher then 'flagship ' droids but the passport doesn't, with all the better specs and an updated OS?

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 01:15 PM
    what benchmark test for the browser are you talking about specifically? browsermark and kraken right. What does your z10 register for those
    10-16-14 01:26 PM
37 12