How much fido dollars do you have?
    I seem to have 85 currently =)
    10-20-14 08:19 PM
    I'm on Fido as well. With these grandfathered plans you will not be able to match the pricing trying to get a subsidized phone. If you think you'll need the data for the future and who wouldn't you'll be better off buying from shopblackberry or amazon or going into Telus and setting up a prepaid plan to use that to use to unlock the phone right there or use an unlocker like Unlock Blackberry - Blackberry Unlock Code - Blackberry Unlocking and continue using your great plan!
    10-20-14 08:20 PM
    Hang onto your Fido rate. You won't get anything like it now.

Get an unlocked phone. Passport if you can, something else if you must. Z10s are cheap used now. Maybe the Passport will be cheaper by the new year?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    That's a good point I hadn't considered, does anyone know what the product launches upcoming look like yet? Maybe some dates not so much as specific (a few minor details would be good, like a codename and style) devices?
    10-20-14 08:20 PM
    How about having someone from the US buy it for you at ~600 and during the next visit, get your Passport?
    10-20-14 08:40 PM
    So basically, I'm asking everyone, any ideas?
    Stay with Fido, buy the Passport off ShopBlackBerry for $699, and then get a nano-sim from Fido. If you cannot wait any longer, just buy the device from Telus. $750 plus taxes from Telus, $11.30 after taxes for the Fido nano-sim, then the cost for unlocking it. This is what I did.

Posted via CB10 on the BlackBerry Passport
    10-20-14 08:48 PM
    Any chance of Home Insurance helping with the purchase? Maybe they won't cover the whole thing with a deductible in mind but it's worth looking into?
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    10-20-14 08:54 PM
    Same boat as you, Fido customer wanting the Passport... Fido's being difficult, don't understand why Rogers can't share inventory, ridiculous.

Posted via CB10
    It's particularly weird, I've asked them about this several times and their only response is "we're different companies," I can understand that the low levels of the company might not receive explanations, however it would be good for their customers so as to not cause additional frustration.

For example, the statement is constantly made by Rogers that they are a "premium" brand, which, no offence, is entirely unfounded, aside from offering a wider range of devices, they don't actually do anything different other than charge higher rates for identical services. They are what some might describe as "consumer hostile".
    thymaster likes this.
    10-21-14 12:17 AM
    This is actually a great idea, I'll look into it ASAP. Thank you!
    10-21-14 12:19 AM
    This is a great idea, sadly having come back to California not to long ago and being in a situation that requires additional resources at present where I am, I am not presently inclined to travel outside of Toronto and Ottawa. Though it may be a good idea moving forward, as I am considering New York later this year (having seen some great Groupon deals and there being cheap travel rates from certain bus companies), thank you for the advise.
    10-21-14 12:21 AM
    If you stay overnight in US, you are allowed a decent amount of duty free when returning to Canada. Check the Canadian Customs website for current regs.

Flicked out via Zed30
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    10-21-14 12:38 AM
    Black Friday is only a month away...
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    10-21-14 02:22 AM
    Thank you everyone for the device information, motivation to do various things, etcetera. I am very happy with the responses, sadly I would like to inform you all that I do not presently own a Blackberry, instead I have reverted to an old flip phone from a friend. The future looks bright as I'll look to getting a Blackberry most probably on WIND as soon as they get something new in. I am sick of Fido and their inefficient mannerisms, and I most definitely cannot be bothered to go near any of the larger options which, IMHO, are horrible cash sucking thievery machines consumer hostile yada yada (read Joseph Heath's latest book if you are interested in how I'm starting to think about "consumer hostile" environments, he's a professor at UofT who is incredibly knowledgable and interesting).

I'm not leaving Crackberry, and I'm definitely getting another Blackberry. These two things I know for sure.

Additional notes: Funny thing is, even after removing most of my data (3 gigs down to 750 megs) and international messaging options, Fido only managed to save me a mere ten dollars pretax. Their plans are, at best, self destructive.
    thymaster likes this.
    10-21-14 10:10 PM
    I'm with Fido, while in China this past week my Z10 was pickpocketed, I hadn't any connections on so as to save battery at the time, anyway, no way to locate it, I'm sure some frustrated pickpocket is now wondering what to do with a completely locked device.

Point is, I want to keep my existing contract with Fido as it's been "grandfathered" in and so I get all sorts of awesome goodies* and the price has gone up since launch on the PassPort everywhere.

Checking Kijiji I thought "maybe I can get an iPhone on my contract and trade it with someone?" Turns out a few people already had a similar idea or bought an iPhone and realized it wasn't for them or whatever, basically, between Toronto and Ottawa there's only one person "considering" a trade in the direction I want (in case you forgot I want a PassPort, and in their case they MAY want an iPhone) anyway, I emailed them and haven't heard back.

As things stand, it appears that I would either have to sign on with another carrier and still pay 249.99 or 250** (leaving me with a contract I cannot afford / or at least have no interest in paying - they all start around 60 per month) or pay outright 699.99 plus tax or 799.99... None of these sound appealing or entirely reasonable - I'm just coming out of finishing a university degree and one year of college, I have other paying priorities.***

So basically, I'm asking everyone, any ideas? Some sort of manner in which to avoid this hefty cost and not have to settle for what Fido offers?****

* 3 gb data, unlimited Canadawide calling + text + photo, voicemail, caller id - all somewhere in the vicinity of 50 bucks a month.

** Ref. Rogers and Telus (Bell keeps messing with my out of touch with tech Dad so, in the most polite sense, screw them).

*** The trip to China was personal.

**** At present they only have the Q5 flavour of BlackBerry, which for me would feel like a horrible regression, kind of like the last time I tried using a Samsung Note 3.

P.S. Sorry for all the details, I just figure it's easier to explain now rather than later...
    Have you tried talking to your carrier to see if they can give you an exception for a contract-priced upgrade? I know you're referring to a Canadian carrier, but on AT&T here in the US, they were able to do that for me when my BlackBerry Bold 9700 got stolen and let me buy the 9900 just for being a long time customer. They just reset the 2-year agreement to that day I got the 9900. Perhaps Fido can do that for you?

Posted via BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    10-21-14 10:24 PM
    Have you tried talking to your carrier to see if they can give you an exception for a contract-priced upgrade? I know you're referring to a Canadian carrier, but on AT&T here in the US, they were able to do that for me when my BlackBerry Bold 9700 got stolen and let me buy the 9900 just for being a long time customer. They just reset the 2-year agreement to that day I got the 9900. Perhaps Fido can do that for you?

Posted via BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    If life was that easy up north here we wouldn't be having this conversation. LOL. The thing you have to understand is that Canada is run by three monopoly phone company and that is Telus, Rogers and Bell and we call them Robellus. Fido is own by Rogers btw. No matter how your distasteful service ended with one of the 3, you will end up moving your service to one of the 3 provider again. There are so many complaints made to the government about Robellus and nothing the government do have change their attitude. New competitors was suppose to be the solution but Robellus have played dirty and thrown small start up company like WIND and Mobilicity under the bus too often and bullied them to go bankrupt.
    10-22-14 12:57 AM
    If life was that easy up north here we wouldn't be having this conversation. LOL. The thing you have to understand is that Canada is run by three monopoly phone company and that is Telus, Rogers and Bell and we call them Robellus. Fido is own by Rogers btw. No matter how your distasteful service ended with one of the 3, you will end up moving your service to one of the 3 provider again. There are so many complaints made to the government about Robellus and nothing the government do have change their attitude. New competitors was suppose to be the solution but Robellus have played dirty and thrown small start up company like WIND and Mobilicity under the bus too often and bullied them to go bankrupt.
    The sad truth, power to WIND, may they survive and thrive (I fear Mobilicity may be bought up). *clich� yet mandatory fist pump to the air*
    10-22-14 01:03 AM
    The sad truth, power to WIND, may they survive and thrive (I fear Mobilicity may be bought up). *clich� yet mandatory fist pump to the air*
    I have wind too, sine 2011, but at my work, the signal can be bad at times unfortunately
    10-22-14 06:00 AM
    How about having someone from the US buy it for you at ~600 and during the next visit, get your Passport?
    That's exactly what I did and "have" the phone. If Fido has anything decent beside the iPhone and Galaxy S, I'd be shocked. Rogers really widened the split between the companies.

I'm still annoyed by how Fido screwed me by refusing to answer whether they would carry the Q10. I figured they wouldn't and got the Z10. A few weeks later they got the Q10, which I would have gladly gotten for the battery life. Oh well, the Passport will solve all my battery problems.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    10-22-14 08:32 AM
    That's exactly what I did and "have" the phone. If Fido has anything decent beside the iPhone and Galaxy S, I'd be shocked. Rogers really widened the split between the companies.

I'm still annoyed by how Fido screwed me by refusing to answer whether they would carry the Q10. I figured they wouldn't and got the Z10. A few weeks later they got the Q10, which I would have gladly gotten for the battery life. Oh well, the Passport will solve all my battery problems.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    The stupidity of Fido =(
    10-23-14 07:07 AM
    The stupidity of Fido =(
    No, the cleverness of Rogers in trying to force customers to them.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    10-23-14 08:34 AM
    In Vancouver I would order it @ amazon usa and get it delivered to point Roberts. Usually free shipping.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 11:36 PM
45 12