Hi all,

Lately I have noticed that my sound volume on the Passport is low. I am having a little bit of trouble hearing people if there is some outside noise. Some phone calls with my Classic confirmed my suspicion as the volume on that device was much louder.

Wondering what the most effective method would be for cleaning it out? Compressed air? Toothpick? I'm not sure if it's just dirt and grime in it but I would like to try cleaning it out.

It's an SE Passport by the way.

Thx

Posted via CB10
    08-20-18 10:24 AM
    Compressed air?
    That would be safest option but I would be doubtful if it needs cleaning.
    08-20-18 10:27 AM
    I thought it was me, but my ear piece volume has been low for the last few weeks. I work in construction and I have to walk away from the machines to hear my incoming calls and even then I still have problems hearing. I have been putting people on speaker phone lately to hear them. I have a Red Passport. My wife has a Silver SE and doesn't have that problem. She is with a different carrier and I think we have different OS versions. I will check when I get home. I have 10.3.3.2137

Posted via CB10
    08-20-18 01:50 PM
    I thought it was me, but my ear piece volume has been low for the last few weeks. I work in construction and I have to walk away from the machines to hear my incoming calls and even then I still have problems hearing. I have been putting people on speaker phone lately to hear them. I have a Red Passport. My wife has a Silver SE and doesn't have that problem. She is with a different carrier and I think we have different OS versions. I will check when I get home. I have 10.3.3.2137

Posted via CB10
    I do have it since last week! 😭
    Mine is a silver edition release 2137 / version 3216

Send by my lovely passport silver edition
    08-21-18 05:39 AM
    My wife's Passport SE has OS 10.3.3.1463 and her ear piece works fine. Mine doesn't with OS 10.6.3.2137

Posted via CB10
    08-21-18 10:04 PM
    Hi all,

Lately I have noticed that my sound volume on the Passport is low. I am having a little bit of trouble hearing people if there is some outside noise. Some phone calls with my Classic confirmed my suspicion as the volume on that device was much louder.

Wondering what the most effective method would be for cleaning it out? Compressed air? Toothpick? I'm not sure if it's just dirt and grime in it but I would like to try cleaning it out.

It's an SE Passport by the way.

Thx

Posted via CB10
    Forgive me for a stupid question, but have to be ruled out: are your current volume thus set to maximum and can't be adjusted more?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mikael11; 08-21-18 at 11:22 PM.
    08-21-18 10:41 PM
    Forgive me for a stupid question, but have to be ruled out: are your current volume thus set to maximum and can't be adjusted more?

Posted via CB10

The volume rocker buttons on the right side of the phone are on max and I had a look at the phone setting app and I can't see anything specific other than a bass boost or something.

I'm all ears if there are other options for this as its getting a tad annoying. The device works perfectly and in a quite setting I can hear everything. The earpiece or headset works no problem.

I don't want to have to go back to a Classic device only cause of call volume. I will try cleaning it out and see if that helps bit any other suggestions are welcome.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-18 05:29 AM
    ...I work in construction and I have to walk away from the machines ...
    Hi, this part of your post got my interest. I have heard of people who work in construction and engineering experiencing problems relating to welding fragments and other ferrous debris working its way into speakers, where it's attracted by the magnet. I think the earpiece/speaker replacement on the Passport is relatively straightforward, the part was available cheaply from eTrade Supply, the last I looked.
    08-22-18 07:01 AM
    I don't think I have that problem. I keep my Passport in my safety vest 90% of the time, so it is pretty clean or dust free when I take it out to use.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-18 10:09 AM
    Have you tried turning up the volume whilst on a call using the volume keys?

Posted via CB10 using my P9982 running 10.3.3.3216
    08-23-18 03:19 PM
    Have you tried turning up the volume whilst on a call using the volume keys?

Posted via CB10 using my P9982 running 10.3.3.3216

Yes I have and it's at max volume. It must be dirt in the grill or the part it's self may be failing I suspect. It's still functional and thankful my hearing is strong. Compared to my Classic while on a call, it might be at 40% but apparently at max volume. Only when there is background noise do I really notice it.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-18 02:55 AM
    Yes I have and it's at max volume. It must be dirt in the grill or the part it's self may be failing I suspect. It's still functional and thankful my hearing is strong. Compared to my Classic while on a call, it might be at 40% but apparently at max volume. Only when there is background noise do I really notice it.

Posted via CB10
    Use toothbrush to clean the grill.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-18 12:36 PM