Since I'm on VZM, and I am going to need a new phone sooner rather than later it looks like I might jump ship.

My question to the assembled brain trust is what is the best option for the U.S.?

If I buy one from Amazon or Shop Blackberry should I go with AT&T or T-Mobile? I'm not so worried about the pricing, I'm more interested in the technical aspects.

Will there be a problem with either of them if I go in with an unlocked Passport and start service with them? I believe that VZM won't let a non-VSM device on their network, so I am worried that ATT or TMo will have the same policy.

Also, with the wifi calling on TMo I am leaning towards them. Additionally I read somewhere that TMo phones can use gogo (in flight wifi) for no additional fees, does anyone know if that is accurate?

Thanks for any/all info and advice.

GBA
    09-24-14 02:02 PM
    Since I'm on VZM, and I am going to need a new phone sooner rather than later it looks like I might jump ship.

My question to the assembled brain trust is what is the best option for the U.S.?

If I buy one from Amazon or Shop Blackberry should I go with AT&T or T-Mobile? I'm not so worried about the pricing, I'm more interested in the technical aspects.

Will there be a problem with either of them if I go in with an unlocked Passport and start service with them? I believe that VZM won't let a non-VSM device on their network, so I am worried that ATT or TMo will have the same policy.

Also, with the wifi calling on TMo I am leaning towards them. Additionally I read somewhere that TMo phones can use gogo (in flight wifi) for no additional fees, does anyone know if that is accurate?

Thanks for any/all info and advice.

GBA
    If you want to save on a monthly plan, I would go with T-Mobile. They do have the better option when it comes to payment. Their service in recent memory has been shotty. I was a T-Mobile customer in 2012 for an additional line and if you're outside of a major city, the service is questionable.

AT&T does offer better service for me and through discounts from work, the price isn't too bad.

I know AT&T will allow you to bring your own device when you sign up for a new plan. You can check out the "how to" here: https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/by...id=zRSj4Ih4eqU

Ultimately, it's up to you. I'm hearing T-Mobile's service has improved over the years, so do a little digging and find out what works best.
    rwestiv likes this.
    09-24-14 02:55 PM
    I currently use AT&T and have great service with them. Tried T-Mobile for a month and did not have near the coverage as I do with AT&T, but I'm sure this varies by location. I also do a lot of traveling.
    09-24-14 03:01 PM
    http://www.harbormobile.com/ it uses the TMob network but is discounted to them
    09-24-14 03:02 PM
    I have had no issues with T-Mobile, cheap plans too.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 03:04 PM
    The Passport fully supports both AT&T and T-Mobile. It's basically up to your coverage with them and price of service.
    09-24-14 03:06 PM
    Thanks for the info.

Should I be concerned about the TMo-Blackberry fallout? It wouldn't affect my services would it?

GBA
    09-24-14 03:07 PM
    I'm currently running a Z30 on T-Mobile with no issues for service. However, don't assume that you can use WiFi calling on their network just because you stick a T-Mobile SIM card in the device. I've had no luck getting it to work, and T-Mobile won't support it because it's not a T-Mobile 'branded' device - meaning they never sold it directly to me. I would assume the same thing for the in-flight WiFi. Having said that, I find their customer service to be pretty good. And since I spend 98% of my time in a metro area, I can live with the spotty rural coverage from time to time.

And if you decide to roam to Canada, as I do every once in a while, it roams on Rogers with 4G or 4GLTE most of the time (better rural coverage in rural Canada roaming than in the US on network, believe it or not). International roaming is also free data and texting, but voice calls are charged by the minute.
    rwestiv likes this.
    09-24-14 03:16 PM