I don't think Book Reader is a good choice. It is an Adobe Air app and I don't think it will work once the 10.3.1 upgrade comes. The developer seems to have abandoned it.

Playepub Book Reader would be a better choice. It has been updated recently and it even has a cloud sync option.

Bonfire Reader is another good native option.
    Ahhh. I didn't know that. I'm on 10.3.0.1154 so mine still works.
    11-18-14 01:26 PM
    Aldiko Book Reader (Snap) works the best for my needs on the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 03:06 PM
    I use Kindle from Snap.
    11-18-14 03:08 PM
    Bonfire reader is another good option. It's a native app and works well on the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    I use Kindle, Kobo, Playepub and Bonfire reader. Bonfire has a really nice page turning effect.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    11-18-14 06:06 PM
    I also use the Adobe PDF reader if my book happens to be in that format. It's not great but does the job adequately.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    11-18-14 06:07 PM
    I'm trying to remember why we're supposed to be boycotting Amazon. I know that Colbert told us not to support them, but I forget his reasoning.

Did it have something to do with preferential treatment? If so, it seems like all publishing houses should be on the ban. Even if not, Amazon has to be better than the 'sources' I used prior to actually purchasing my eBooks.
    I'm boycotting Amazon because of their thuggish treatment of publishers who they have a grudge against (usually not for a good reason). If a publisher balks at Amazon aggressively demanding them to lower their prices, Amazon will delay shipping their books for weeks or not list their books, and similar. Publishers these days have thin margins as it is. They can't join Amazon in its strategy to undercut everyone else to maintain dominance. Amazon isn't actually profitable despite its dominance, so their strategy is dubious to say the least.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 08:14 PM
    I'd say that Bonfire reader has been abandoned too. You don't even have a way to contact the developer anymore. I wish I had done some research before buying it. I'd personally go with the kindle app.

Posted via CB10
    Bonfire works on 10.3.1. Unless it happens with later versions of 10.3.1, I think it'll continue to work.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 09:15 PM
    Kobo was the be native PlayBook reader and I still use that on my pb and z10 without issue.

Posted by my splendid Z10
    11-19-14 12:43 AM
    Bonfire reader is definitely the best, though it seems it's been abandoned as none of the promised updates occurred.

Z30 STA 100-2
    11-19-14 04:19 AM
    Bolt is build natively and is a gem of an app

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 04:47 AM
    I'm boycotting Amazon because of their thuggish treatment of publishers who they have a grudge against...
    So it is preferential treatment, then. Which is an act invented by publishing houses in the first place. And none of the publishers crying foul have ever done that to authors?

Maybe not. I don't have all of the facts. But I do know that the book industry has been dirty politics since before Bi Sheng.
    11-19-14 06:36 AM
    I have book reader but refuse to install Kobo because the app unnecessarily wants access to all my data, photos, contacts, location - you name it, Kobo wants it. No thank you!

I don't read on my phone much preferring my Sony E-reader. That said there are a couple of books I'd like on my phone if I can find an app who don't want my entire life turned over to them for the "privilege".

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    11-19-14 06:50 AM
    Bolt is build natively and is a gem of an app

Posted via CB10
    Bolt is a really cool looking app. Just downloaded, thanks for the rec.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 07:06 AM
    Well Kindles alright but then you have to pay for every book.
    I got FBreader off BBW and it works extremely well.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 07:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    FBREADER is just another Android app, though. I wish we had a simple and decent epub reader. Clean and utilizing cascades I mean.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 12:26 PM
    Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that if you buy a Kindle Book from Amazon you can download it and read it directly with the Kindle app, whearas with the other apps you need to use another piece of software to remove the DRM bit before you can read it. That sounds like an awful hassle!

Posted via CB10 on my Passport
    01-11-15 04:56 PM
    Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that if you buy a Kindle Book from Amazon you can download it and read it directly with the Kindle app, whearas with the other apps you need to use another piece of software to remove the DRM bit before you can read it. That sounds like an awful hassle!

It's about as much a hassle as dragging/dropping the file on a DRM removal app on my laptop. And from there on out that file can be read anywhere, with any app. Freedom sometimes takes a tiny bit of effort. ;-p

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 02:33 PM
    It's about as much a hassle as dragging/dropping the file on a DRM removal app on my laptop. And from there on out that file can be read anywhere, with any app. Freedom sometimes takes a tiny bit of effort. ;-p

Posted via CB10
    You are right! This evening I downloaded a DRM Removal app on my laptop and the process turns out to be very straightforward indeed.

01-13-15 05:24 PM
    Yes, Kindle seems to be a nicely developed app. That's what I'm using at the moment.

I've also had good luck in the past with "Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle Books". Awkward title, but a nice reader. Kobo was okay in the days before Kindle.
    Kobo works very nicely on the passport and it synchronizes my books between my passport, my playbook and my z30! Amazon Kindle does not!
    01-13-15 11:00 PM
    I have book reader but refuse to install Kobo because the app unnecessarily wants access to all my data, photos, contacts, location - you name it, Kobo wants it. No thank you!

I don't read on my phone much preferring my Sony E-reader. That said there are a couple of books I'd like on my phone if I can find an app who don't want my entire life turned over to them for the "privilege".

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    I agree. I even sent Kobo an email about this..but it is the one exception I made in terms of app permissions because it syncs my books on all my devices. Kindle also asks for the same permissions because it is an android app.
    01-13-15 11:06 PM
    +1 for FBreader. There is a version on BBWorld but I installed the up-to-date Android & it looks and works great.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 03:51 AM
    +1 for FBreader. There is a version on BBWorld but I installed the up-to-date Android & it looks and works great.

Posted via CB10
    +2 for FBreader it works very well on my Z30 and barely has an effect on battery.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-14-15 04:05 AM
    Kindle from Snap is better than any native Ereader. At least on the Passport. I just wish I had keyboard swiping to turn pages. The Passport is begging for a clean epub reader.

Posted via CB10
    I'm having a great deal of trouble with the SNAP apk right now... I deleted an incredibly fast and stable version of Kindle in error. I can't remember what version it was but I transferred it to my Passport from my Z10. It was *click* then UP, almost that fast.

Now I've tried the Amazon App Store version and the SNAP version. I've downloaded and installed a BAR file and installed it using the Chrome extension... everytime I get an incredibly laggy, slow, stutter and unstable app which invariably stops working.

As I said I'm using a Passport with 10.3.0.908 (stock OS). If anyone's got a tip, I'll take it! Thanks!

Cr)m... via Passport
    01-17-15 06:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not true, I have lots of books on my kindle and kindle app, none of them from amazon

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 07:02 PM
    Not true, I have lots of books on my kindle and kindle app, none of them from amazon

Posted via CB10
    How do you install them into the Kindle app?

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-17-15 07:11 PM
79 1234