Anyone have suggestions for a decent e-reader for the Passport. Preferably from BBW, android app second, free or paid but something that renders epub format well. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    11-18-14 08:08 AM
    The kindle app from Amazon.

What was that ereader that was used for the BB Playbook?
    Best applications for using your BlackBerry PlayBook as an eReader! | CrackBerry.com

Anyone have suggestions for a decent e-reader for the Passport. Preferably from BBW, android app second, free or paid but something that renders epub format well. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    brookie229 likes this.
    11-18-14 08:15 AM
    Yes, Kindle seems to be a nicely developed app. That's what I'm using at the moment.

I've also had good luck in the past with "Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle Books". Awkward title, but a nice reader. Kobo was okay in the days before Kindle.
    11-18-14 08:23 AM

What was that ereader that was used for the BB Playbook?
    Best applications for using your BlackBerry PlayBook as an eReader! | CrackBerry.com
    I have a Playbook and the "PlayEpub" book reader for that device, but it will not work on the Passport--much to my disappointment because that its my favorite. I am really looking for a stand-alone app --isn't the Kindle app connected to Amazon's book store with all kinds of annoying ads and bloat?
    11-18-14 08:37 AM
    ...isn't the Kindle app connected to Amazon's book store with all kinds of annoying ads and bloat?
    It acts as an Amazon store-front and will suggest books to a user. But it can still be used offline and without account information if you drop your own downloads to the device.

Personally, I learned to appreciate the Kindle store after a while. Too much of my downloaded library was just so poorly formatted and proofed.
    brookie229 and eyeb like this.
    11-18-14 08:46 AM
    Thanks PP--I will give Kindle a try--if anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to add them.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 08:54 AM
    Bonfire reader is another good option. It's a native app and works well on the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 09:19 AM
    I am using Moon+Reader (Snap) on my Passport and it works fine for me.

Gesendet von meinem Passport mit Tapatalk
    brookie229 likes this.
    11-18-14 09:29 AM
    I am using Moon+Reader (Snap) on my Passport and it works fine for me.

Gesendet von meinem Passport mit Tapatalk
    I use Moon reader too. All the others were just not good. (I never tried Kindle because I don't support Amazon as a book seller).

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 09:33 AM
    (I never tried Kindle because I don't support Amazon as a book seller).
    I'm trying to remember why we're supposed to be boycotting Amazon. I know that Colbert told us not to support them, but I forget his reasoning.

Did it have something to do with preferential treatment? If so, it seems like all publishing houses should be on the ban. Even if not, Amazon has to be better than the 'sources' I used prior to actually purchasing my eBooks.
    11-18-14 09:39 AM
    1. Kindle works perfectly fine.
    2. Bonfire Reader is surprisingly good. It's native and the best ebook reader on BlackBerry, and up there with other ebook readers on other platforms (based on the Android ebook readers I've downloaded from Snap.)

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 09:41 AM
    I was reminded about Moon+Reader (thanks Gregor!) as I used to use this on Playbook. I have just downloaded it and it seems to be good. Thanks to all for the suggestions. I may also purchase Bonfire on BBW to give it a try (like to support Devs for bb).
    11-18-14 09:44 AM
    Kindle from Snap is better than any native Ereader. At least on the Passport. I just wish I had keyboard swiping to turn pages. The Passport is begging for a clean epub reader.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    11-18-14 10:01 AM
    I love MoonReader but on my hacked Sony eReader (I still think they make the best eReaders) I have FBreader so I tend to use it on my passport so that when I get home it's easier to pick up and read.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 10:11 AM
    I would suggest MoonReader though if there is no reason to have another one. The customising is fantastic and there is even autoscroll. You can do everything, I've got so many words on the screen and the touchpad scrolling is great

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 10:13 AM
    the book reader is working fine on my Passport not sure what is going on with you I had it on the passport after the device switch through link.
    11-18-14 10:17 AM
    FBreader works fine on my Passport
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/47069889

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 10:33 AM
    I'm using Playepub Book Reader. It's native, simple and easy navigation.
    11-18-14 11:25 AM
    +1 for FBREADER. Works great.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 11:30 AM
    I'm using Playepub Book Reader. It's native, simple and easy navigation.
    I just tried this app again as I have it in BBW from my Playbook and lo and behold it is WORKING! The first time I tried it, I got an error code and it would not load!! I am running 10.3.1.1151
    11-18-14 11:49 AM
    I'm going to second the Untangled Development app called Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle Books - It was on my Z10, it's on my Z30 and it is available for the Passport. Not free, but easily some of the best money I've ever spent in BB World. And in Canada that amounts to $0.99. Not sure what the price might be in your location.
    11-18-14 11:59 AM
    I don't think Book Reader is a good choice. It is an Adobe Air app and I don't think it will work once the 10.3.1 upgrade comes. The developer seems to have abandoned it.

Playepub Book Reader would be a better choice. It has been updated recently and it even has a cloud sync option.

Bonfire Reader is another good native option.
    11-18-14 12:30 PM
    I don't think Book Reader is a good choice. It is an Adobe Air app and I don't think it will work once the 10.3.1 upgrade comes. The developer seems to have abandoned it.

Playepub Book Reader would be a better choice. It has been updated recently and it even has a cloud sync option.

Bonfire Reader is another good native option.
    I'd say that Bonfire reader has been abandoned too. You don't even have a way to contact the developer anymore. I wish I had done some research before buying it. I'd personally go with the kindle app.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 12:37 PM
    I'd say that Bonfire reader has been abandoned too. You don't even have a way to contact the developer anymore. I wish I had done some research before buying it. I'd personally go with the kindle app.

Posted via CB10
    I was unaware of that about Bonfire Reader. However, I expect it to continue working indefinitely.

Either way, the readers are not really expensive. Free or $0.99.

I also use the Kobo app quite a bit since I do purchase books from there. I also get books from my local library and I usually use Bonfire reader for those ones.
    Last edited by umbrau44; 11-18-14 at 10:44 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    11-18-14 12:44 PM
    Hi,

Does have an option to change background and font color?

Thanks
    11-18-14 01:22 PM
79 123 ...