Just ordered my Bell Passport yesterday, and got this confirmation by email from them, showing the following as the phone model:

"Device BB Passport BK UNLK"

Now this might be a dumb question but should I assume (before seeing the phone) that it's really unlocked? Bell has always had this designation on their BBs but they always seem locked to them.

Would be interested to know if anyone who purchased a phone from Bell got a locked or unlocked PP. Thanks.
    Last edited by andy957; 11-09-14 at 02:42 PM.
    11-09-14 02:31 PM
    Just ordered my Bell Passport yesterday, and got this confirmation by email from them, showing the following as the phone model:

"Device BB Passport BK UNLK"

Now this might be a dumb question but should I assume (before seeing the phone) that it's really unlocked? Bell has always had these designation on their BBs but they always seem locked to them.

Would be interested to know if anyone who purchased a phone from Bell got a locked or unlocked PP. Thanks.
    I think you're the first person I heard of that's actually receiving a Passport from Bell. They seem to have taken ages to make the phone available.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen and jojo beaconsfield like this.
    11-09-14 02:38 PM
    My Z-10 is with Bell. When I inquired about buying the Passport from them, I was told that it would cost $750 plus the cost of unlocking plus taxes. Not taking any chances, I ordered unlocked direct from shop.blackberry at $700 plus taxes. It is due to arrive tomorrow Monday.
    11-09-14 02:42 PM
    I received my Bell Passport about a month ago, and it came unlocked.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, thymaster and andy957 like this.
    11-09-14 02:43 PM
    I think you're the first person I heard of that's actually receiving a Passport from Bell. They seem to have taken ages to make the phone available.
    Well he assured me it's in stock....if not, I'll be mighty unhappy, since I did an upgrade (and paid up-front) to get this phone.
    Last edited by andy957; 11-09-14 at 02:57 PM.
    thymaster likes this.
    11-09-14 02:43 PM
    If that's the case with mine, I will be THRILLED so I can use it on Rogers instead of my Galaxy S4.
    thymaster likes this.
    11-09-14 02:44 PM
    I will transfer the existing contract from the Z10 until its end in early 2016, maybe even using the Passport initially only on the Wi-Fi until I get familiar with it. Since I travel internationally the possibility of using SIMS will be a first benefit. The second benefit is being able to negotiate better contract pricing when having completed existing contract and having an unlocked smartphone. And having a BB Passport has all of the other benefits also.
    11-09-14 02:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    Interesting...I ordered mine from Bell on launch day. It arrived Oct 3 once the Telus exclusive week was complete.

On another note...how can I tell if my phone is unlocked?

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    11-10-14 09:39 AM
    Interesting...I ordered mine from Bell on launch day. It arrived Oct 3 once the Telus exclusive week was complete. On another note...how can I tell if my phone is unlocked? Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Best way is to insert a SIM card from your (or any) carrier on which you have a voice (and data if applicable) plan and if it works, it is unlocked. For example since you bought a Bell phone but want to use it on Rogers, and you have the correct type of service from Rogers, your Rogers SIM card should work without any extra steps.
    11-10-14 09:51 AM
    I just called them again to verify that what I was told was correct re: stock. I was told that there are 5 available. Since I had to pay for the phone up-front with a credit card (the full $249.95 + 13% HST), I said I am counting on one of those 5 being mine. It remains to be seen.
    11-10-14 09:53 AM
    Best way is to insert a SIM card from your (or any) carrier on which you have a voice (and data if applicable) plan and if it works, it is unlocked. For example since you bought a Bell phone but want to use it on Rogers, and you have the correct type of service from Rogers, your Rogers SIM card should work without any extra steps.
    I don't have that option of inserting another carrier SIM. Is there any other way to tell? In the settings somewhere?

11-10-14 09:55 AM
    To tell if the phone is unlocked, go to Settings, Security & Privacy, SIM Card, and see if you have a Network - Unlocked label listed.

Bell Mobility Passport-img_20141110_075606.png

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 09:57 AM
    I don't have that option of inserting another carrier SIM. Is there any other way to tell? In the settings somewhere?
    I don't know if there's a CDMA version of the PP, but if you have the GSM version, you have a SIM slot. On what carrier are you trying to use the phone? Perhaps someone else will chime in here if there is a setting somewhere that you can look at to verify the answer to your question, but I am not sure.

EDIT: Thanks dejanh. j_the_p, there's your answer above (post #12).
    11-10-14 09:58 AM
    To tell if the phone is unlocked, go to Settings, Security & Privacy, SIM Card, and see if you have a Network - Unlocked label listed.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting! So this would indicate that my Passport is in fact unlocked? I wonder why they sold it to me on contract and unlocked.

When I look at your screenshot vs mine, I see you have 3 things unlocked, where I have 2.

Bell Mobility Passport-img_20141110_105905.png

11-10-14 10:04 AM
    Just got the email with tracking number from Bell. It shipped today but I won't get it until Wednesday due to holiday tomorrow. ;(
    11-10-14 08:21 PM
    J_the_p, yours is not unlocked. It will show all three once it is unlocked. The only other carrier yours would work on is Virgin. However if you do want to unlock it, don't go to Bell...go to a site like BlackBerryCodeSource.com or quickphoneunlock.com and pay $20 to do it.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 08:44 PM
    my Passport was from bell on the first day available. That was about 6 weeks ago now. I am assuming you are speaking of Bell Cananda?

Posted with my 5 week old superb Passport!
    11-10-14 08:55 PM
    hi how much have you paid for bell pp ???

$249.95 + 13% HST. This is for a new 2-year contract with Bell Mobility (Canada).
    11-10-14 10:25 PM
    Hi j_the_p,

Yours is LOCKED as MrHomz said, once it is Unlocked you will see all three saying UNLOCKED

Network UNLOCKED
    Network Subset UNLOCKED
    Service Provider UNLOCKED
    11-11-14 12:36 PM
    Thanks for the info.

11-11-14 12:40 PM
    Interesting! So this would indicate that my Passport is in fact unlocked? I wonder why they sold it to me on contract and unlocked.

When I look at your screenshot vs mine, I see you have 3 things unlocked, where I have 2.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141110_105905.png 
Views:	342 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	313392

Your phone is still lock.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 01:27 PM
    It has arrived!! And it is (so far) flawless! Can't wait. Also the Amzer case I ordered from CB Store arrived at the same time. And today is a mail holiday, must be a good omen.
    11-11-14 02:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    Had mine 10 days after launch from Bell

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 04:47 PM
    OK, so here's my final update on the Passport. It is a beautiful phone, truly. However I returned it to Bell for a refund because:
    1. Couldn't get used to the virtual keyboard popping up.
    2. Uneven keyboard backlighting (Y, U, H, J), and not bright enough (I love the backlighting on the 9900 and Q10, for example...very bright).
    3. Don't care for the 1:1 ratio at this point, since so many apps that I use on a daily basis either don't look right or don't work at all (e.g. SoundHound). I know with time they might but I can't be certain.
    4. Phone got very hot, even without making any calls. Just using WiFi and checking emails and some minor surfing, and downloading/installing apps from BB World, Amazon and 1Market.
    5. Phone not comfortable for me. I found the edge digging into my palm and couldn't find a comfortable position for my LH pinky, and with the phone getting so warm I just couldn't use it properly. It might be me, but that's my experience.
    6. Just not sure I like the UI.

On a positive note, when v2 comes out (or if it does), I will revisit the phone, however for the time being I'm sticking with my Z10/Z30 and Q10.

I really appreciate everyone's help above.
    11-13-14 01:19 PM
    @andy

If your an app person then BlackBerry is not for you! BlackBerry and the Passport is about productivity and communications. Why you would ever buy a BlackBerry is beyond me!

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 03:50 PM
29 12