10-24-18 12:04 AM
42 12
tools
    Hello everyone
    yes i know it is kind of awkward (actually too awkward) but i have decided to enter the BlackBerry world TODAY ...!!!
    I have never used a BlackBerry before but i just cannot stand Android, IOS or Windows Phone anymore.
    I have decided to get the BlackBerry Passport (Not the Silver Edition though).

let me tell you a little about my self:

I don't have Facebook and don't intend to have one
    I don't have Twitter and don't intend to have one
    I don't have Instagram and don't intend to have one

(I think that says a lot about what kind of guy I am )

My Ideal Phone would be the imate PDA from 2004 with all the menus, full-software and the whole serious work environment thing
    thus the phone for me is just a device to get work done not for social media

I need a physical keyboard for emails
    i need a bigger screen for PDF reading
    BUT:
    i do need web browsing.. and a lot of it (i am tired of windows phone horrible browsing quality)
    i do need Dropbox (i can live with the web version if the browser works well)
    i do need to open (without editing) word and excel files
    i do need some sort of translator in my device
    I need Whatsapp (even if the performance is not optimal)
    and one more thing : Evernote is crucial

so what do you think guys ??? should i spend my very-hard earned money on the passport (it is not very cheap where i live )

thank you for the advice
    10-14-18 02:13 AM
    I think the answer may be no, the web browsing experience seems to be high on your list of requirements and this is getting worse daily on BB10.

I don't believe there is a native Dropbox app on BB10 now.

And BB10 is end of life as of 1 Jan 2020 so nothing is going to improve between now and then.

BB10 was a great OS but you have very much missed the best days.

Posted via CB10 using my Classic running 10.3.3.3216
    10-14-18 10:35 AM
    @zx_spectrum

The passport is a great device. Unfortunately you will be relying on the aging Kitkat android runtime to accomplish most of your goals.

As android apps get updated, they drop off support for earlier versions of android like the one being used on BB10 (4.3).

Check out the forum for Yalp App store. This works on BB10 and is the easiest way to get android apps straight from the google play store on BB10.

For those apps that no longer work on 4.3, you will need to sift through sites like www.apkmirror.com to find older versions that do work (Android 4.1+)

New versions of dropbox and Evernote no longer support 4.1+, but the following old versions do:

Dropbox: 96.2.4 https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dropbo...6-2-4-release/
    (I tested on my Passport and it works)

Evernote: 7.17.1 https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/everno...-17-1-release/
    (I dont have an evernote account, but I just installed 7.17.1 on my Passport and it runs)

You can open and edit word documents, powerpoint and excel with the native BB10 apps, but not to full capability like if you had the modern versions of the windows apps.

One application that does a fair job is OfficeSuite and it runs on BB10. You could also try the old Microsoft Office Mobile app but you need to make an account to run it.

Google Translate app works fine. Or you can use the browser.

There are workarounds to get the android version of whatsapp working on BB10. There are discussions regarding this in the forum.

Regarding the browser - While the BB10 browser was once the best, that is no longer the case. I recommend installing Firefox version 57.0.4 from apkmirror (this is the most recent working version at the moment). Be prepared however, as this modern android browser running in the 4.3 runtime on BB10 isn't quite as fast as it would be on a full android device like the Key1 or 2.

As much as I love the Passport, I would recommend you give android another try but with the newer BB android devices like the Key Series. They will cause less headaches as app developers stop supporting old versions of android, and as m3ach mentioned, BB10 is going to be EOL soon also.

That said, I think the passport will meet your requirements if you're willing to put up with workarounds and decreasing app support.
    10-14-18 11:14 AM
    @zx_spectrum

The passport is a great device. Unfortunately you will be relying on the aging Kitkat android runtime to accomplish most of your goals.
    *Jellybean.
    10-14-18 12:18 PM
    Well I run happily with my Passport, even the browser. However your need for WhatsApp is not great for Passport.
    Also the browser....while I do like it and find it sufficient, Edge on Windows 10 is much faster and better. Head to head using cheapy Lumia 650 vs the Z30, Edge beats, in some rare cases matches, the stock BB10 browser easily despite the hardware disadvantage.

In rare cases on BB10, I resort to Firefox to get my browsing done, but 99% of the time where I think the browser is at fault, I'm wrong.
    10-14-18 12:47 PM
    *Jellybean.
    Woops thanks lol
    10-14-18 01:35 PM
    so what do you think guys ??? should i spend my very-hard earned money on the passport (it is not very cheap where i live )
    Buying an Android 4.3 phone from 2014 would offer about the same experience with your main requirements as the Passport would, since BB10's Android runtime is the only way forward for stuff like Whatsapp or Evernote. It would probably be cheaper, too.

If you're insistent on the physical keyboard then consider the KEYone/KEY2/KEY2LE, since those are regular Android phones once you look past the physical keyboard, so browsing and apps aren't liable to break at random.
    10-14-18 01:59 PM
    Don't waste your money (and time) on a Passport at this point. Just go for a KEY2/LE honestly.

Aside from all the points mentioned above, you could easily find yourself spending hours trying to find the right working apk for each separate app. Not too "productive" in my opinion.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    10-14-18 02:23 PM
    thank you guys for the helpful outputs
    a lot of replies suggesting KEY2 but actually currently it is out of question for me considering the price
    10-14-18 03:20 PM
    thank you guys for the helpful outputs
    a lot of replies suggesting KEY2 but actually currently it is out of question for me considering the price
    Is the LE in your price range?
    10-14-18 03:56 PM
    currently it is out of question for me considering the price
    Unfortunately many on this forum do not take this factor into consideration. If I were in your shoes, I would settle for a less expensive android device, either new (if you can find one in your range) or a mid-tier/premium refurbished device.
    10-14-18 05:01 PM
    If youve never owned one no, probably not worth your time. I would however.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-18 06:29 PM
    Not familiar with your country situation, I’m not sure that PKB KEYone BE or Key2 LE is priced low enough for you. Many VKB Android phones may be more affordable. Don’t waste your money on BB10 since you can’t deal with it’s usage limitations in your situation.
    10-14-18 10:24 PM
    Given what your messaging and Internet needs are, I would go with a Key Series. K1, K2 or LE.

BlackBerry 10 is an excellent phone for the next few years for something as simple as calls, texts, emails and maybe some BBM for the next several months.

I would not call it a great messaging device as you can mostly only do BBM and sms texting. The other platforms might work but not for long and not without work.

The browsing experience is very sub par for a lot of people now and will get worse very soon.

Either way, we welcome you to BlackBerry and to Crackberry. Good luck

Posted via CB10
    10-15-18 12:34 AM
    Passport is even less worth it now as used KEYones are getting cheaper every day
    10-15-18 09:12 AM
    Be careful with finding a new Passport if you decide to go for it - it took me 48 hours of proper research to find an ebay offer that seemed genuinely reliable and I had to make sure it was really brand new and factory unlocked. If you don't need Android apps, go for it, but you have not enough time until doomsday. I am guessing you want to spend money on something that you can keep at least 2 years. I cannot guarantee you will have the Passport working after 1/1/2020.
    10-15-18 09:28 AM
    Alot of BB10 folks say they don't wanna make the switch to a DroidBerry because of the learning curve of a new OS.

Ok, so if getting acquainted with a new OS takes some time (how much depends on the person), well I think that adjusting from BB10 to Android will be less of a waste of time than scrambling through apkmirror for a working version of an app you really want/need.
    10-15-18 10:09 AM
    I think that adjusting from BB10 to Android will be less of a waste of time than scrambling through apkmirror for a working version of an app you really want/need.
    Agree! I needed no dedicated apps and went for the Passport. I did not need to transform my Passport into an Android device. I just started using it immediately with no learning curves involved. It's a huge mistake to knowingly purchase the Passport and then start wasting your time with app workarounds (this is just my opinion).
    10-15-18 02:19 PM
    WOW....
    first of all really thank you for the help and explanation
    but it seems to me that the situation is more complex than i expected it would be.
    Actually the passport cost 300$ where i live brand new. which honestly i can live with even if the devise serves me until 2020 only. but according to your answers it seems like the passport won't even give me much of productivity until then.

you see guys... i really really need work-machine more elaborated than brain-numbing easy android. (i enjoy elaborated computing experience... i am a RPN calculator guy)

about the passport: I just love the form factor of the its screen, that is unbeatable for me it looks so comfortable to do work, the keyboard is great thing as well.

Key2 ... first it as android second it doesn't have the screen form factor as the passport
    buying Key2 here would cost me almost 700$
    yes i would have forced myself to do that if the screen was the same as the passport (i 'll pretend that i would be ok with android though)

anyway it seems like the passport won't serve my needs today
    10-15-18 02:45 PM
    I like BB10.

I do -NOT- like iOS nor Android.

I have not told anyone they need to stop using BB10.

My wife's 4-year old Android 6.x device runs simple searches and mapping faster than my 5-year old BB10 device. Her phone is starting to have problems. I can upgrade her to a newer Android device, however, I cannot purchase a new BB10 device. I expect that I will have to eventually switch regardless of how long I continue to use my BB10 device.

Interesting how presenting options, limitations, and recommendations results in being called naysayers, anti-BB10, and other bs even if one is still using BB10.

I don't see reciprocal behavior towards those saying "Don't listen to the naysayers".

You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. Present them without the name calling, and let those requesting information make their own decision.

AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    10-15-18 03:59 PM
    Not familiar with your country situation, I’m not sure that PKB KEYone BE or Key2 LE is priced low enough for you. Many VKB Android phones may be more affordable. Don’t waste your money on BB10 since you can’t deal with it’s usage limitations in your situation.
    They said at the beginning "I just cannot stand android, iOS.... "

I think it's pretty clear that they don't want an android device! Since the Key series, LE included, are android devices why recommend those?

How do you know this person can't deal with the usage limitations? They have access to the Crackberry forums where someone can usually help.

Let's help this person make a decision by being honest about BB10 and answering his questions about the Passport not trying to convince him he needs an android phone!

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    10-15-18 04:13 PM

I think it's pretty clear that they don't want an android device! Since the Key series, LE included, are android devices why recommend those?

How do you know this person can't deal with the usage limitations? They have access to the Crackberry forums where someone can usually help.

Let's help this person make a decision by being honest about BB10 and answering his questions about the Passport not trying to convince him he needs an android phone!

I think recomending a BB10, (which I would.. ) before anyone knows what will become of them at the end of the year is kind of irresponsible.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-18 04:15 PM
    WOW....
    first of all really thank you for the help and explanation
    but it seems to me that the situation is more complex than i expected it would be.
    Actually the passport cost 300$ where i live brand new. which honestly i can live with even if the devise serves me until 2020 only. but according to your answers it seems like the passport won't even give me much of productivity until then.

you see guys... i really really need work-machine more elaborated than brain-numbing easy android. (i enjoy elaborated computing experience... i am a RPN calculator guy)

about the passport: I just love the form factor of the its screen, that is unbeatable for me it looks so comfortable to do work, the keyboard is great thing as well.

Key2 ... first it as android second it doesn't have the screen form factor as the passport
    buying Key2 here would cost me almost 700$
    yes i would have forced myself to do that if the screen was the same as the passport (i 'll pretend that i would be ok with android though)

anyway it seems like the passport won't serve my needs today
    The KEY² LE is significantly cheaper than the KEY².

The BlackBerry Android launcher is a no-nonsense UX. The HUB centralizes all of your communications. Don't install other "flashy" apps if you don't want to.
    the_boon likes this.
    10-15-18 05:37 PM
    I need a physical keyboard for emails
    i need a bigger screen for PDF reading
    BUT:
    i do need web browsing.. and a lot of it (i am tired of windows phone horrible browsing quality)
    i do need Dropbox (i can live with the web version if the browser works well)
    i do need to open (without editing) word and excel files
    i do need some sort of translator in my device
    I need Whatsapp (even if the performance is not optimal)
    and one more thing : Evernote is crucial
    thank you for the advice
    Well the Passport gets you a physical keyboard, e-mail synchronization, big screen, PDF reader, Word and Excel editor/reader (through a stock app called Docs To Go), and Evernote (through a stock app called Remember), all this out-of-the box. All these features will probably work great for your needs with only minor limitations.

(Note that an official Evernote app for BlackBerry 10 also exits and still works, but it is no longer available to new users such as yourself. Using Evernote through the Remember app is in some important ways a better experience anyway, though, since it allows off-line access to your notes for free and doesn't count towards your device limit.)

WhatsApp no longer has a native app for BlackBerry 10. ('Native' as in designed for BlackBerry 10, not Android.) I stopped using WhatsApp when support for the BlackBerry 10 version ended, but many BlackBerry 10 users continue to use WhatsApp with an Android version of the app and a separate app to fix a bug that stops you from sending media through WhatsApp. If all you need is suboptimal performance, this setup should work for you once you read instructions on the Forums and get it set up. However, there is no guarantee how long this setup will continue to work.

You have several options for translators. Web-based options work. Android apps work. If you want a nice native app experience, try Tao Translator. (FancyTran also offers a nice native app experience, but is no longer available to new users such as yourself.) There may be other options too.

I haven't tried the web version of Dropbox, but a free native app in BlackBerry World called Basket works well to get you connected to Dropbox. (If you don't care about Dropbox in particular and any file sharing app will do, native apps for OneDrive and MediaFire both work great and require no special steps to set up.) To get Basket working you will need to copy and paste small snippets of text between your phone and another device (for example, through Evernote or e-mail). Why? Because new browser-based authentication methods simply don't work in BlackBerry 10, which brings us to web browsing.

Fluid web browsing might be a real problem for you with the stock Browser. As somebody already mentioned, it really does depend on what particular websites you visit. I edit with the desktop version of Wikipedia very comfortably on my Passport, which probably can't be said for any other mobile device. The Google+ website had for a while blocked the BlackBerry 10 browser altogether, but now works well on BlackBerry 10. However, chances are that you will encounter websites that frustrate you and that the number of websites that frustrate you will grow. Some BlackBerry 10 users have switched to alternative browsers available on BlackBerry World and elsewhere; some of these browsers are native apps and some of them are Android apps. However, I don't think that there's a silver bullet.

Besides what you listed, you should think about any other services that you rely on and make sure to ask whether these currently work on BlackBerry 10. Also keep in mind that you will likely discover features of BlackBerry 10 that you hadn't thought of that may make you appreciate the operating system and that you can find awesome apps like ClipMan in BlackBerry World that will increase your productivity. But as others have mentioned, critical services such as BlackBerry World itself are slated to shut down at the start of 2020 and we don't have many details as to what else might happen then.

Hope this helps!
    elfabio80 likes this.
    10-15-18 06:10 PM

The OP wrote limitations and wrote issues regarding cost. Somebody familiar with BB10 and it’s limitations spending $100 in USA or Canada is one thing? Spending $300 in foreign country where other issues like income and warranty problems are significant difference is another thing entirely. Let the OP buy whatever they’d like, but let them be informed. The sight is meant to help people of all walks of life. Since BB10 is so great, publicizing it’s limitations shouldn’t be such a big deal unless perhaps for newbies, they are big deal.
    10-15-18 06:36 PM
42 12