OK so some of you might remember my thread recently that they should separate the Snooze button from the Dismiss button because it is too easy to fat finger the Dismiss button by accident and miss a meeting.

Some people posted to just use the Bedside Mode and the whole screen was a Dismiss button. Okay so I tried it. I liked that it faded to black and completely shut off the display, like in the other normal clock mode. I was starting to get used to it then Blackberry released an update to the clock last week some time.

I updated it and now in bedside mode the phone doesn't go completely black. It fades to a faintly lit clock. Problem is you can see the glow from the entire screen, even the darkest part.

If you are in a hotel on battery, this now keeps the screen running all night eating juice from the battery.

There is no option to have the phone fade out now and shut down the screen in Bedside Mode.

So now, it's back to using the normal clock and the fat finger Dismiss and Snooze issue all over again, because the normal clock fades to black and shuts down the display when the phone is not in use.

Blackberry - please offer the option to have the Bedside Mode clock fade to black and shut down the screen when sleeping.

Not every situation allows a phone to be plugged in all night to support running the display.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 04:17 AM
    Not too sure why it's doing this on your device but I upgraded last week too and sleep mode still works exactly as it always did on BB10. The clock stays on at a reduced level while on charge, but the clock doesn't show when not on charge, it fades to a black screen with no light emmittance at all. I used it last night without a charger and everything worked exactly as it should. This is the way it's always worked on my previous Z10 & Z30. Not sure what's gone wrong there but it might be worth trying an uninstall and reload.

Incidentally, I'm running a Passport on OS 10.3.0.1418
    11-10-14 06:21 AM
    To the OP: what os are you using ?

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 06:25 AM
    Push the power button and the screen will blank out. Even in bedside mode. 10.3.0.1418 here.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 06:44 AM
    Putting dismiss and snooze buttons close to each other with that much of real estate is dumb. They should be separated, color coded and have larger fonts. I wear reading glasses and when I wake up I don't want to wear my glasses to dismiss the alarm clock. Same problem for choosing audio source while on a call in the car. It lists 3 options on the top left side of the speaker, small and hard to chose. Why not large buttons blackberry? And colored ones maybe? These are the sort of things that make the whole experience pleasant.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 07:01 AM
    I should mention that "tap" to snooze and "swipe" to shut off are still working too.

Posted via CB10 using a Blackberry Passport
    11-10-14 07:49 AM
    To be noted that only OLED screen can display black pixels without any light emissions. LED cannot display black pixels without making some light.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 07:56 AM

UPDATE: Rebooted and things seem to have sorted themselves out. Screen stays illuminated on faded clock when plugged in, but it goes black and shuts off correctly on Bedside Mode when on battery.

Maybe was an update hangover. I should have rebooted before my OP however...

Now how do I get it to go to black when plugged in? Still annoying when I'm home and I plug it in to recharge in beside mode at night. I don't like that screen staying illuminated when faded to bedtime clock.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 09:33 AM
    Now how do I get it to go to black when plugged in? Still annoying when I'm home and I plug it in to recharge in beside mode at night. I don't like that screen staying illuminated when faded to bedtime clock.
    Like I said in post #4, push the power button and the screen will go black when plugged in. I'm doing this every night.
    11-10-14 10:07 AM
    I have the latest leak installed on my passport and there is a possible bug with bedside mode.

When the passport is plugged in:
    If bedside mode is launched from the drop-down quick settings menu, the screen cannot be turned off. If however, bedside mode is launched from within the clock app, a tap to the top power button will completely shut off the screen.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 10:38 AM