OK, so it still failed to transfer over the BBM Chat history even after I've rebooted the phone in step 7. Does anyone have any ideas? Please.

Or maybe more specific steps that I'm missing???
    03-25-15 06:16 PM
    I don't think you're missing anything.

We got a Passport in the family here to replace a Z30. When I did the Link device switch process, the bbm chats didn't come over. I figured it was a mistake so I called BlackBerry customer support. They set up an "incident" for me and I went through a series of correspondence with them.

Attached is their email message to me setting out their version of the "Hatax" method of restoring bbm chats. The csr "Peter" told me there was no guarantee it would work and he had reported the problem internally. It didn't work for me and they had no other solution.

BBM chat history transfer to passport-img_20150325_175312.png

BBM chat history transfer to passport-img_20150325_175328.png

Attachment 343811
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 03-25-15 at 07:16 PM.
    03-25-15 06:59 PM
    BOO!!!! still doesn't work for me. Thanks though
    03-26-15 01:18 PM
    crap.... i've giving up. had to wipe my phone another 5 times yesterday+today...
    so annoying. stupid BB/BBM!!!!
    03-26-15 03:18 PM
    Think its time that BBM solve this problem. Its really annoying when upgrading or moving BBM between devices to lose the chat history. For me that is vital to BBM conversations. I dont want it in the cloud, i want it like in OS7 where the file can be exported to the device so that i have control of my chats.

Come on BBM team, solve this o the next update
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    05-13-15 05:11 AM
    Think its time that BBM solve this problem. Its really annoying when upgrading or moving BBM between devices to lose the chat history. For me that is vital to BBM conversations. I dont want it in the cloud, i want it like in OS7 where the file can be exported to the device so that i have control of my chats.

Come on BBM team, solve this o the next update
    they have included a backup button in bbm in the latest update

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 05:04 AM
    Is this issue resolved?

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 10:44 PM
    Anyone recently tried to do this? My passport's camera's broken and so need to send it for RMA....want to transfer the chat history to z30, but when I use BB link, BBM doesn't appear in the application data field anymore...i'm 100% sure it was there before....so not sure what the heck happened to it.
    06-13-15 11:53 PM
    I just did a device transfer from Z10 to Passport using BB link and the BBM chat history did not transfer over.
    1. Checked BBM on my Z10 that I had chat history turned on - which it was.
    2. BBM on the new Passport was already updated with my contacts from the initial transfer, the latest software update and logged in with my existing BB ID.
    3. Went into BB Link under my old Z10, selected backup and only the application data for BBM. I made sure no other application or file would be restored other than BBM.
    4. Selected the Passport in BB Link, restore and again only selected the BBM from the application list.
    5. All the chats transferred over.

I hope this helps.
    08-19-15 12:19 PM
    I just did a device transfer from Z10 to Passport using BB link and the BBM chat history did not transfer over.
    1. Checked BBM on my Z10 that I had chat history turned on - which it was.
    2. BBM on the new Passport was already updated with my contacts from the initial transfer, the latest software update and logged in with my existing BB ID.
    3. Went into BB Link under my old Z10, selected backup and only the application data for BBM. I made sure no other application or file would be restored other than BBM.
    4. Selected the Passport in BB Link, restore and again only selected the BBM from the application list.
    5. All the chats transferred over.

I hope this helps.
    Did you use the back up now feature?

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 03:30 PM
    So disappointed with Blackberry and their weak BACKUP support.

I've tried this several times and no success either. And here, I've been the one telling everyone to get on to BBM ... I guess I'm lucky no one listened...
    Last edited by SV_Trinity; 09-08-15 at 12:16 PM.
    09-08-15 11:57 AM
    Yeah, sometimes it just doesn't feel like a tool for professionals. :-(

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 03:29 PM
    So disappointed with Blackberry and their weak BACKUP support.

I've tried this several times and no success either. And here, I've been the one telling everyone to get on to BBM ... I guess I'm lucky no one listened...
    There's nothing weak about the inability to backup BBM messages; you're just not thinking about it logically.

BBM is tied to not only your BBID, but primarily to the hardware PIN of the handset. Two different devices means two different pins which also means two different BBMs.

BBM contacts are bound to your BBID, but BBM messages are bound the the PIN, and thus can not be backed up and restored to a separate device.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 05:18 PM
    Was just dealing with this. At least we have a workaround. I wonder where BBM sends the chat backup?

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 07:26 PM
    Has anyone tried merging two backups from 2 different timelines?
    Anyone?
    02-26-16 06:29 PM
    1. Take a backup of the apps you want to restore

2. After reloading OS / installing a new OS / security wipe, and BEFORE restoring from backup:
    2.1. Sign in and set up BBM
    2.2. YOU HAVE TO OPEN APP WORLD AND UPDATE BBM ON THE NEW DEVICE BEFORE RESTORING (Thanks to nah.uhh)
    2.3. In BBM settings, turn on 'Save Chat History' (This is a key step)

3. Using Link, restore just the BBM App Data from the backup file
    4. After device restart, your BBM chat history will be there (both individual chats and group chats)

I went from Q10 to Z30, I didnt do a complete wipe either, I just backed up the BBM and restored the bbm. make sure you initiallize bbm before restore. Use LINK to backup and restore. I also updated BBM on Z30 b4 restore.
    QtHelex likes this.
    07-05-16 01:56 PM
    When you restore it says you overwrite the data so I dont think it would work.
    but I havent attempted it.
    07-05-16 01:57 PM
    As far as I am concerned this failing (and that's exactly what it is) is NOTHING to do with the multiple devices/multiple PINS/multiple BB IDs scenario presented above. I have wasted 24 hours and counting trying to restore my BBM chats onto the exact same device with the same PIN, same BB ID etc. that they were originally created on and nothing doing, OK? Using all methods listed above and then some. Everything else and by that I really mean WhatsApp gets restored PROBLEM-FREE with no rain dances required at any stage of the process. But BBM, Blackberry's own messaging software on its own software platform on its own hardware - nope, that's too much to ask!! I am a huge fan of Blackberry and desperately want them to succeed but when one is presented with these kinds of shoddy less than half-baked integration efforts and user experiences what is one meant to do? It's very easy to say or type "just wipe device, then load this, load that..." - each new effort takes hours! And how long has this been a problem now? Years already. My two cents to Blackberry - fix basic and fundamental issues like this first before going off on any further new blue sky tangents developing "exciting new features" that no-one blxxdy wants! For others out there with the same problem - take heart. It's not just you, and no you are not incompetent at using your device - only Blackberry is.

P.S. I'm not even looking for a fresh solution anymore, I just needed to rant. This is unacceptable Blackberry - are you listening?
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    09-08-16 04:43 PM
    After several hours with no success I can't exactly remember the steps, but I had success at the end...

On the old BB:
    Be sure that save chat history is on
    Do a manual save history now
    Make a backup

Secure wipe was hanging on 96% for hours
    I did a power off/on wipe started automatic from 0%
    I did some power on and holding volume up/down together and ended up with an error 0015
    I thought this was it…

Plugged to USB while BB link was running, device was initialized
    Thx to Google

Went through all the steps of the initial setup
    Did not start BBM
    Restore BBM from Link backup
    Start BBM, says I have to update, so I did, no chat history…. again!… f***

Restore BBM from Link backup again
    Start BBM, I am not sure was it asking or just informing that the history was loading…
    I just remember that it took long until the app was ready

But after all, the full chat history, individual chats and group chats, was back on my new Passport

Cheers
    09-09-16 09:05 AM
    I did everything mentioned in post #41 . It worked flawlessly, however it was not working before I tried updating BBM. Passport on 10.3.3.3057.
    01-11-18 06:50 PM
45 12