I have a huge problem i was wondering if the community can help me.

i never do full restores with leaks or updates, only custom.

Ive also never had a problem with restoring my BBM chat history on fresh devices from my custom backup and custom restore.

Sometimes upon restoring, BBM chat history doesn't appear on the first try and i would have to restore ONLY BBM (again and it would work.

I have been trying for 2 days transfering my BBM chat history from my Q10 running 10.3.0.1154 to my passport running 10.3.0.1418 with no luck. my contacts and groups are there, but no chat history.

The funny thing is when i reactivate BBM on my Q10 after a failed restore on my passport and follow that with a BBM restore, IT WORKS!

So now i have a fully running passport minus BBM which is still running everything intact on my Q10.

And ive done this BBM switching 3 times already now, all with the same result. Passport without failed restore and Q10 with retore working all the time

Has anyone had luck in doing this and how did you do it?

Any help would be much appreciated
    10-15-14 06:16 AM
    I have run into this before and I think if I open BBM and transfer BBM before doing the restore, the BBM backup transfers. If you do not open up BBM before the restore, the BBM backup doesn't seem to transfer.
    10-15-14 08:15 AM
    I wasn't able to restore my BBM history either. Sorry I can't help. I can just commiserate.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 10:00 AM
    I have run into this before and I think if I open BBM and transfer BBM before doing the restore, the BBM backup transfers. If you do not open up BBM before the restore, the BBM backup doesn't seem to transfer.
    I'll try this again. Thanks for your input.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 10:10 AM
    Isn't BBM attached with your BlackBerry ID? When you initialized BBM on your PP were you not prompted to enter your BlackBerry ID.

STL100-3 | Rogers | 10.3.0.xxxx
    10-15-14 10:24 AM
    I'll try this again. Thanks for your input.

Posted via CB10
    It will probably only work if you start from the beginning with a security wipe.

Wipe

Open BBM so it becomes your active BBM

Restore backup.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 10:46 AM
    Isn't BBM attached with your BlackBerry ID? When you initialized BBM on your PP were you not prompted to enter your BlackBerry ID.

STL100-3 | Rogers | 10.3.0.xxxx
    It is. I mentioned in my op that the contacts and groups were successfully restored but not the chat history, which is the problem.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 11:46 AM
    I got this to work with help from the community. Set up BBM on Passport, then do restore from backup and chat history came across. Strangely, my text messages and some of my contacts didn't come across, but Chat history was the most important.

Good Luck
    The Big Picture and QtHelex like this.
    10-15-14 12:19 PM
    Key here is you MUST open BBM before doing the restore, allow it to hook up, reconnect to all your groups, etc... Let it settle in for a few minutes after opening it to make sure everything is set. After I do all that I do a reboot with ALL radios off, airplane mode or whatever suits you, and then restore the chat history. Has always worked for me, you just have to make sure you've opened it so that BBM moves over to the new device before restoring the backup.
    10-15-14 12:57 PM
    Key here is you MUST open BBM before doing the restore, allow it to hook up, reconnect to all your groups, etc... Let it settle in for a few minutes after opening it to make sure everything is set. After I do all that I do a reboot with ALL radios off, airplane mode or whatever suits you, and then restore the chat history. Has always worked for me, you just have to make sure you've opened it so that BBM moves over to the new device before restoring the backup.
    I tried this order before, but didn't really wait for it to fully settle. I'll have to give this a try.

Posted via CB10
    dualpassport likes this.
    10-15-14 01:03 PM
    Has the method above worked for anyone?

I switched BBM back to my Q10 then did a restore, everything is fine.

After that i switched BBM again to my passport, left it to sync with groups/contacts then tried the restore. Did not work for me.
    10-15-14 03:29 PM
    Have you tried to start a new chat with a friend to see if the history will load automatically when the chat is created?

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 04:12 PM
    Make sure when you do bbm backup it backups all bbm! Sometimes backup doesn't do full bbm backup especially if you have big database on chats. I did back up and restore everything came but chat. I've tried several times bbm only restore and nothing. Then I went and did restore from earlier backup, one i did 3 days earlier. All went well. After doing it i just realized that my last backup was fraction in size from one three days ago.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 08:18 PM
    Has the method above worked for anyone?

I switched BBM back to my Q10 then did a restore, everything is fine.

After that i switched BBM again to my passport, left it to sync with groups/contacts then tried the restore. Did not work for me.
    If you were following what I suggested, I think you may have missed the security wipe first. Just moving BBM back to the Q10 may not have been enough.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 08:23 PM
    If you were following what I suggested, I think you may have missed the security wipe first. Just moving BBM back to the Q10 may not have been enough.

Posted via CB10
    I skipped the security wipe part. I'll try that. Thanks for everything.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 05:32 AM
    1. Take a backup of the apps you want to restore

2. After reloading OS / installing a new OS / security wipe, and BEFORE restoring from backup:
    2.1. Sign in and set up BBM
    2.2. YOU HAVE TO OPEN APP WORLD AND UPDATE BBM ON THE NEW DEVICE BEFORE RESTORING (Thanks to nah.uhh)
    2.3. In BBM settings, turn on 'Save Chat History' (This is a key step)

3. Using Link, restore just the BBM App Data from the backup file
    4. After device restart, your BBM chat history will be there (both individual chats and group chats)

I just tried this myself (from Q10 to Z10 OS 10.3.1.1154) and can confirm that my chats transferred flawlessly!
    12-09-14 08:06 PM

2. After reloading OS / installing a new OS / security wipe, and BEFORE restoring from backup:
    2.2. YOU HAVE TO OPEN APP WORLD AND UPDATE BBM ON THE NEW DEVICE BEFORE RESTORING (Thanks to nah.uhh)

4. After device restart, your BBM chat history will be there (both individual chats and group chats)

I just tried this myself (from Q10 to Z10 OS 10.3.1.1154) and can confirm that my chats transferred flawlessly!
    Will try this!

Posted via CB10
    12-09-14 08:18 PM
    Has anyone tried merging two backups from 2 different timelines?

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 01:36 PM

At present, I also face the issue relating to restore bbm message after upgrade os to 10.3.1 on my Q10. I will follow your detail instructions. Thank you so much.
    02-23-15 09:03 PM

Confirm that this works. Moved from one passport to another and preserved entire chat history.

Posted via CB10
    nah.uhh likes this.
    02-24-15 12:55 AM
    How do you guys manage to do make it work? Please help. Have lots of chat history I want to keep and transfer to the new phone.

I've been trying all day yesterday and today (probably been over 5 wipes now), and still no luck. Moving from Z10 to Classic, BBM is up to date on the Classic (so I can't do step 2.2 updating in BB world after every wipe since I don't need to anymore), and newest OS on the Classic.

Each time I reset, I:
    1. go through the mandatory initialization/setup and compete all EXCEPT sign into BBID.
    2. close tutotial
    3. open and sign into BBM
    4. Wait until everything is populated/loaded onto BBM
    5. turn on save chat history
    6. turn on airplane mode (as per the thread /bb10-leaked-beta-os-f395/bbm-chat-history-backup-restore-888116/#post9767859 (I can't directly post the link cuz I have low post count), mainly intended for autoloading/upgrading OS), but I figure wouldn't hurt.
    7. Tried both rebooting (again, from the post in step 6, then waiting for awhile) OR just leaving it alone and not reboot
    8. Hooking up to LINK
    9. Restoring ONLY BBM from the Z10 Backup
    10. Wait until restarts, and BAM!! no chat history
    03-25-15 12:27 PM
    How do you guys manage to do make it work? Please help. Have lots of chat history I want to keep and transfer to the new phone.

I've been trying all day yesterday and today (probably been over 5 wipes now), and still no luck. Moving from Z10 to Classic, BBM is up to date on the Classic (so I can't do step 2.2 updating in BB world after every wipe since I don't need to anymore), and newest OS on the Classic.

Each time I reset, I:
    1. go through the mandatory initialization/setup and compete all EXCEPT sign into BBID.
    2. close tutotial
    3. open and sign into BBM
    4. Wait until everything is populated/loaded onto BBM
    5. turn on save chat history
    6. turn on airplane mode (as per the thread /bb10-leaked-beta-os-f395/bbm-chat-history-backup-restore-888116/#post9767859 (I can't directly post the link cuz I have low post count), mainly intended for autoloading/upgrading OS), but I figure wouldn't hurt.
    7. Tried both rebooting (again, from the post in step 6, then waiting for awhile) OR just leaving it alone and not reboot
    8. Hooking up to LINK
    9. Restoring ONLY BBM from the Z10 Backup
    10. Wait until restarts, and BAM!! no chat history
    Try the same thing except this time during setup go ahead and sign in your bbid and make sure it's the same on the old as with the new

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 12:50 PM
    Ok thanks, will give it a shot. Let's hope it works this time. So annoying how BB doesn't make the chat history transfer over. What's the point of saving the history if you can't transfer it. Might as well just use SMS
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    03-25-15 01:44 PM
    No luck, without the rebooting. Will try with rebooting :S
    03-25-15 02:32 PM
    Ok thanks, will give it a shot. Let's hope it works this time. So annoying how BB doesn't make the chat history transfer over. What's the point of saving the history if you can't transfer it. Might as well just use SMS
    I couldn't agree with you more. It is incredible to me that BlackBerry makes us go thru this arcane series of steps just to transfer over the bbm chat history. For gods sake, the chat history on my various Android apps is all transferred. All my sms messages are transferred. Why not the bbm chats? Grrrr...

Posted via CB10
    za_berry likes this.
    03-25-15 04:49 PM
45 12