Afraid the Passport screen isn't all that big.... http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ne-5-a-940585/

Audiobooks, Podcasts, Music... do these really matter when you are talking about the screen??? Sure Ebooks will be a joy to read on the Passport.... as long as you find an app that will scale to the screen.... never have understood why BlackBerry hasn't created a eBook Reader.

Still Pictures... If you take 1x1 shots on a regular bases I guess it should do just fine. Even with many pictures being for "posting" to social media where 1x1 is the norm.... I still prefer to do 16x9 shots, just in case I want them to put on a monitor or display them on my TV.

Anyone really interested in HD Videos, isn't going to be looking at the Passport anyway.
    Size wise it's sitting between an iPhone 4 and 5 in landscape.

The iPhone 4 has 4.8 square inches 16:9 landscape estate (84%)
    The Passport 5.7 (100%)
    The iPhone 5 6.8 (120%)

For a portrait QWERTY phone that's really nice IMO.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    08-07-14 04:33 PM
    Of course the media that I meant is the viewable media (videos and images)

Everything is going HD, except for Instagram images and I don't care much for it

I and i'm sure a lot of consumers are watching series and videos on the phone and they like comfort with it. A good sized HD screen gets the most out of a video while the 1:1 of the Passport will leave you looking at smaller frames with almost half of the screen wasted on black thick lines.

You could argue the pixel density as you wish but it's not the difference that will make the average Joe enjoy the experience more on the 1:1

Passport is a great device IMO for physical keyboard fans. But they are shrinking and unlikely that they will grow

Join my photography channel
    08-07-14 06:04 PM
    Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 06:13 PM
    Of course the media that I meant is the viewable media (videos and images)

Everything is going HD, except for Instagram images and I don't care much for it

I and i'm sure a lot of consumers are watching series and videos on the phone and they like comfort with it. A good sized HD screen gets the most out of a video while the 1:1 of the Passport will leave you looking at smaller frames with almost half of the screen wasted on black thick lines.

You could argue the pixel density as you wish but it's not the difference that will make the average Joe enjoy the experience more on the 1:1

Passport is a great device IMO for physical keyboard fans. But they are shrinking and unlikely that they will grow

What this sounds like is that you object to letterboxing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If the Passport can show a letterboxed 16:9 video at a higher pixel count than iOS "Retina" and a screen size somewhere between an iPhone 4 and 5, that's arguably a better media experience than most handsets offer.

Is it the absolute best? No, that would be the 4K full-touch Oppo Find 7, but does the Passport have to be all things to all people?
    gokulesh, ubizmo and tvst28 like this.
    08-07-14 07:34 PM
    What this sounds like is that you object to letterboxing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If the Passport can show a letterboxed 16:9 video at a higher pixel count than iOS "Retina" and a screen size somewhere between an iPhone 4 and 5, that's arguably a better media experience than most handsets offer.
    This was my point, in addition to the semantic peeve that "media" doesn't equal video.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    08-07-14 07:43 PM
    Reading manga will be epic on the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    RECOOL likes this.
    08-07-14 07:47 PM
    This was my point, in addition to the semantic peeve that "media" doesn't equal video.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    Pardon my French. But clearly "video" is what was meant.

08-08-14 01:49 AM
    Pardon my French. But clearly "video" is what was meant.

So all phones are for is watching video. Not.

Nobody ever claimed the Passport would be everybodys darling, it's targeted at people who don't prioritize video on smartphones. And still you get a much better video experience than an iPhone 4S in landscape and because of the high PPI arguably a comparable if not better one than on an iPhone 5 (because you can watch at a closer distance without pixel density getting too low), without even reorienting the phone.

And just to pick on that last sentence: don't know about you and everybody else but when I actually watch video on my phone it's almost always casual watching in between. Meaning a link I followed, an embedded video in the browser or a short clip I got sent, usually with a length of 1-5 minutes, sometimes even shorter. That means the primary thing I'm doing on my phone isn't watching video, but communicating with others (sent short clip), browsing (embedded video), reading/exploring (following a link from an article or Twitter). Now everytime I have to go full screen and reorient the phone just to watch a short clip it interrupts the flow and feels somewhat annoying from my experience with the Z10. That won't be the case with the Passport and I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it. Because after all it isn't letter boxing that's annoying but rather a far too small remaining content area that results from it. Which obviously won't be the case with the Passport.
    ubizmo, RECOOL and Thunderbuck like this.
    08-08-14 05:47 AM

Nothing to argue here.
    Most phones in the price bracket of the Passport have a better viewing experience when it comes down to video.
    At least when we equate a bigger screen with a better viewing experience.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 06:14 AM
    Nothing to argue here.
    Most phones in the price bracket of the Passport have a better viewing experience when it comes down to video.

Posted via CB10
    I guess his point is why has this even to be discussed since
    * the Passport isn't targeted at people who prioritize video and
    * the video experience, while not as good as on big 16:9 devices, is still more than decent (because otherwise how is it possible then for Apple to still sit on 4" in 2014 and have over 40% market share in the US?)
    ubizmo and gokulesh like this.
    08-08-14 06:19 AM
    I guess his point is why has this even to be discussed since
    * the Passport isn't targeted at people who prioritize video and
    * the video experience, while not as good as on big 16:9 devices, is still more than decent (because otherwise how is it possible then for Apple to still sit on 4" in 2014 and have over 40% market share in the US?)
    Exactly. If watching video is a high priority, it's safe to assume that a larger viewing area is going to give a better experience. But for some of us, including myself, what you wrote previously nails it:

when I actually watch video on my phone it's almost always casual watching in between. Meaning a link I followed, an embedded video in the browser or a short clip I got sent, usually with a length of 1-5 minutes, sometimes even shorter.
    This doesn't describe the person who likes to watch full-length movies or TV episodes, but I think it describes plenty of other people--and not just corporate types either. For us it's fine.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    08-08-14 10:23 AM
    Afraid the Passport screen isn't all that big.... http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ne-5-a-940585/

Audiobooks, Podcasts, Music... do these really matter when you are talking about the screen??? Sure Ebooks will be a joy to read on the Passport.... as long as you find an app that will scale to the screen.... never have understood why BlackBerry hasn't created a eBook Reader.

Still Pictures... If you take 1x1 shots on a regular bases I guess it should do just fine. Even with many pictures being for "posting" to social media where 1x1 is the norm.... I still prefer to do 16x9 shots, just in case I want them to put on a monitor or display them on my TV.

Anyone really interested in HD Videos, isn't going to be looking at the Passport anyway.
    4x3 for photos or nothing. 16x9 or 1x1 is useless for printing. But, I like my good photos printed, which definitely isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    08-08-14 10:53 AM
    Gimme, gimme, gimme!!
    08-08-14 02:49 PM
    So all phones are for is watching video. Not.

Nobody ever claimed the Passport would be everybodys darling, it's targeted at people who don't prioritize video on smartphones. And still you get a much better video experience than an iPhone 4S in landscape and because of the high PPI arguably a comparable if not better one than on an iPhone 5 (because you can watch at a closer distance without pixel density getting too low), without even reorienting the phone.

And just to pick on that last sentence: don't know about you and everybody else but when I actually watch video on my phone it's almost always casual watching in between. Meaning a link I followed, an embedded video in the browser or a short clip I got sent, usually with a length of 1-5 minutes, sometimes even shorter. That means the primary thing I'm doing on my phone isn't watching video, but communicating with others (sent short clip), browsing (embedded video), reading/exploring (following a link from an article or Twitter). Now everytime I have to go full screen and reorient the phone just to watch a short clip it interrupts the flow and feels somewhat annoying from my experience with the Z10. That won't be the case with the Passport and I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it. Because after all it isn't letter boxing that's annoying but rather a far too small remaining content area that results from it. Which obviously won't be the case with the Passport.
    Because of the PPI!? Does the average person knows what PPI is at all? A buyer walks in a shop and has in mind to get the most of the smartphone he wants to buy and I don't know about you but countless number of users do watch videos on their mobiles, just Google to find that mobile makes up almost 40% of YouTube's global watch time! That's on YouTube alone. Imagine how this number can double with Netflix and such..

The average buyer doesn't really know or care about the PPI. When it comes to watching videos he wants to have a full screen viewing not with two thick lines.

I know Passport is not for anyone, but since we are talking about videos now so.. sorry, the buyer above won't buy the Passport

08-08-14 03:11 PM
    I have one concern about BBM on the Passport, and that is the compression when receiving pics shared over BBM might actually make them look like crap because of the sizable, high resolution screen. I hope I am wrong but most pictures look too pixelated even on my Z10, and it can only get worse on a screen like the Passport's. Come on BB, just give users the option already to chose whether they want compressed or HQ by default!
    08-09-14 10:43 AM
    4x3 for photos or nothing. 16x9 or 1x1 is useless for printing. But, I like my good photos printed, which definitely isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    ...what does your phone screen have to do with photos you're going to print?
    08-09-14 11:46 AM
    Because of the PPI!? Does the average person knows what PPI is at all? A buyer walks in a shop and has in mind to get the most of the smartphone he wants to buy and I don't know about you but countless number of users do watch videos on their mobiles, just Google to find that mobile makes up almost 40% of YouTube's global watch time! That's on YouTube alone. Imagine how this number can double with Netflix and such..

The average buyer doesn't really know or care about the PPI. When it comes to watching videos he wants to have a full screen viewing not with two thick lines.

I know Passport is not for anyone, but since we are talking about videos now so.. sorry, the buyer above won't buy the Passport

Don't see how your post relates to mine, you're pretty much ignoring it. And here for the record: video at most accounts for 8% of smartphone use in average (YouTube + Entertainment):

BBM on BlackBerry Passport looks awesome!-flurry_march2014_apptime.jpg

And btw I don't discuss the question "does every average joe like a 1:1 screen?", but rather "is 1:1 a good solution for the group of people BlackBerry targets with the Passport or will it fail miserably because the main purpose of a phone nowadays is watching movies for everyone?".

I won't be surprised if the Passport will ultimately lead to me watching more video on the phone opposed to my Z10 just because I don't have to reorient the phone anymore.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    08-09-14 11:56 AM
    Nothing to argue here.

Posted via CB10
    ...and I will grant that this represents a compromise. Again, though, no product can be all things to all people. I don't know how representative I am personally, but I really liked my Q10 (and my Bold 9900 before it, for that matter) because I didn't have to change orientations. I am aware that for 16:9 a Passport will represent a smaller viewing area than the Z30 I currently use (though with an appreciably higher pixel density!), but it's a very acceptable compromise for me.

It will not be a "state-of-the-art" video viewing experience, but any phone short of an Oppo Find 7 isn't "state-of-the-art" either.
    08-09-14 12:19 PM
    Humorous. But the real world work differently. Fools ont become rich and smart people don't part with their money easily.

Posted via CB10
    What planet are you on? Plenty of millionaire morons over here. In fact, the thicker you are, the better your TV career will be. You can even make millions just for being known to be a bit of a div.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247 O2 UK
    08-09-14 01:58 PM
    What planet are you on? Plenty of millionaire morons over here. In fact, the thicker you are, the better your TV career will be. You can even make millions just for being known to be a bit of a div.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247 O2 UK
    I'll give it to you there. It's been a while since we started rewarding absolute morons with millions of dollars and TV careers. But I was talking more about people who actually made their fortune on their own merits; not the people who were handed their fortune, such as those previously mentioned and trust fund babies.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 02:40 PM
70 123