Hi all.

I know BB10 is in it's final breath...but is there a specific date, when they will pull the plug for the OS? How long will I be able to use my Passport? Since 2013, every webside says "soon" or "it's nearly over"... but is there a specific information?

Greetings from Germany

Posted via CB10
    12-12-17 02:58 AM
    It will probably just slowly deteriorate.

Emails will stop working with the hub, WhatsApp ends, most banking apps have already stopped working, browser gets worse and worse at displaying basic sites.

I guess if they decided BB World isn't worth their time then they'd probably shut down those servers and that would be basically be the end.
    12-12-17 03:23 AM
    Thank you. Hopefully IT takes some time from now...I would hate to lose my passport...

Posted via CB10
    12-12-17 03:30 AM
    So much doom and gloom?

My passport still does everything I need.

Sent from my Passport Red Edition
    12-12-17 05:04 PM
    There is no plug to pull. BlackBerry has already walked away. Like most old things, it will just slowly fade away as the number users continues to dwindle.
    12-12-17 05:46 PM
    Hi all.

I know BB10 is in it's final breath...but is there a specific date, when they will pull the plug for the OS? How long will I be able to use my Passport? Since 2013, every webside says "soon" or "it's nearly over"... but is there a specific information?

Greetings from Germany

Posted via CB10
    If by "pull the plug", you mean shut off all phones... it doesn't work like that. The phones are independent of what goes on in Waterloo.

If you mean, simply ending support... that's kind of already happened.

Slow loss of compatibility will be the most noticeable thing - apps that are no longer supported and websites that won't display in a browser that is no longer keeping up with new standards and changing security certificates.

The Hub will actually still work for some time. Email standards are pretty much set and aren't likely to change with any significance any time soon.
    12-12-17 05:58 PM
    It will probably just slowly deteriorate.

Emails will stop working with the hub, WhatsApp ends, most banking apps have already stopped working, browser gets worse and worse at displaying basic sites.

I guess if they decided BB World isn't worth their time then they'd probably shut down those servers and that would be basically be the end.
    I agree with your first statement...

But I don't see why emails will stop showing in the Hub. Honestly, I would be surprised if that ever stopped working entirely.

Apps you depend on will deteriorate. The browser will become less stable... but you will probably still be able to receive emails in the Hub even long after (and "if") BlackBerry did officially announce they were done "supporting" BB10.
    12-12-17 06:54 PM
    Ok thx to you all. AT least there are a few of us left and some try to slow down the fading process. My Passport works very smooth, Ijust hope i can say the same in a year or two. I tried the priv, it's very nice , but thats not really BlackBerry for me. (by the way...the Display is broken so...it doesn't matter anyway).
    I will enjoy the Passport as long as it works.

Thank you all

Posted via CB10
    12-12-17 11:39 PM
    But I don't see why emails will stop showing in the Hub. Honestly, I would be surprised if that ever stopped working entirely.
    As service providers like Hotmail and Gmail update their systems, it'll reach a point where BB10 no longer has the ability to properly connect to them.

I know that BlackBerry World still works on the PlayBook. They could pull the plug on the servers though, just like they decided to pull the plug on the Blend server with no notice.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-17 04:08 PM
    As service providers like Hotmail and Gmail update their systems, it'll reach a point where BB10 no longer has the ability to properly connect to them.

I know that BlackBerry World still works on the PlayBook. They could pull the plug on the servers though, just like they decided to pull the plug on the Blend server with no notice.

Posted via CB10
    Like I said, emails not working anymore is the LAST thing that will go on BB10. Email protocol is not going to be completely rebuilt from the ground up anytime soon.

And, as far as Blend goes, there is no server. It provides a direct link between your PC and your device. It was absolutely abandoned (and even officially so) but it still works. There was never any plug to pull...
    12-13-17 06:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hotmail is now outlook.com, which is basically EAS, and will continue to work as an Exchange account for a while. MS has an interest in maintaining compatibility with business who are slow to update to newer software or switch to all web-based access.

Google kind of tweaks their own Gmail services all the time. There's some issues with the the current Hub on Android even now, and that's current software. Who knows how that will go in the future.

But other regular ISP based email services (using EAS, IMAP, and POP3 to varying degrees) isn't changing for probably years.

As for the Blend servers... what are you talking about? Blend still works, assuming you can get it running on the PC. Development of the software ended over 2 years ago, but it doesn't run off any "servers".
    12-13-17 06:13 PM
    I mean really, there are still people on BBOS7 with some carriers still supporting BIS. So I think the lack of browser and app support will be when people start giving up. I’m using my Passport now more than when I first bought it and am truly sorry this is happening, as I love BB10 and the Passport, while “different”, is still a remarkable device in many ways.
    12-13-17 07:19 PM
    Yes. I have just used blend between my Passport and my Mac. No problem.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-17 08:42 PM
    I was one of the adamant individuals that I would be using my BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition for maybe another year or so but just in the last few days that situation may have changed!

I am not really a big time app guy and don't use any social media. My primary uses are web browsing, BBM, texts, calls and emails with some news and sports being thrown into the mix.

In the last few days both the TSN sports app and the CTV News app have decided to go dead. I have emailed them both to let them know that the app hasn't been working and I am praying for a fix but it looks like it may be DOA. These are two apps I use daily and love them but it will make it harder to keep up to date on stuff. This may be blessing though as I probably spend too much time on my phone as it is.

My brother also won a Keyone Black Edition the other day at the Crackberry Meetup in Calgary. I am HOPING he gives it to me as a birthday gift next week cause he isn't the biggest BlackBerry keyboard guy, he loves the touchscreen himself.

The browser is starting to get bad and it's harder and harder for some sites to load. It's a shame because my battery is in great shape, the keyboard rocks, the hardware is excellent and I love BlackBerry 10 with the Hub. Truthfully I will hold on as long as I can and then hopefully BlackBerry Mobile will have some unique and exciting designs and they make some good hardware.

The Passport is such a great device and I love how the screen shape shows the content on the Web, very desktop or laptop like

Posted via CB10
    12-13-17 09:41 PM
    Yes. All they have to do is to update the browser. It's still working on most websites, but on some it has problems with video playback.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-17 07:25 AM
    I believe that BB OS10 is NOT being killed. It just stay in hibernation mode. Blackberry will make it active again someday. They know that BB OS 10 has some advantages over its competitors. BB OS 10 was made from QNX kernels that have been adopted for BlackBerry smart vehicle products.

Posted via CB10 using awesome  Passport SE.
    12-14-17 10:00 AM
    I believe that BB OS10 is NOT being killed. It just stay in hibernation mode. Blackberry will make it active again someday.
    That’s a foolish thing to believe.
    12-14-17 10:56 AM
    I believe that BB OS10 is NOT being killed. It just stay in hibernation mode. Blackberry will make it active again someday. They know that BB OS 10 has some advantages over its competitors. BB OS 10 was made from QNX kernels that have been adopted for BlackBerry smart vehicle products.

Wow...
    Pass around those brownies, man! 😵
    12-14-17 11:31 AM
    Wow...
    Pass around those brownies, man! 😵
    You don't want any of those brownies. The good ones can bring wisdom, that guy's just trippin' though...
    12-14-17 12:27 PM

Yup. We'll also see the comeback of OS/2 on the PC.
    glwerry, ShalokShalom and duncan86 like this.
    12-14-17 12:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    What is the version of macOS?

Posted via CB10
    12-14-17 03:59 PM

QNX is a very good OS, but it has no advantages for the people out there who just want to give likes to some photos and videos on Instagram and to chat with their buddies via WatsApp. The new generation of consumers has grown up. They don't need neither QNX nor WM, at all. But I personally love that fact, I prefer to use something non-common, as most of the time at work I have to deal with Android and iOS. I would like even to say: I NEED that. Like a fresh air.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-17 04:14 PM
    What is the version of macOS?

Posted via CB10
    The latest. The one updated two-three weeks ago after that security hole was discovered.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-17 10:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    It only works on local WiFi. The servers which allowed remote access are off.

I don't connect my phone to my employer's WiFi because what I might look at while on lunch or break is none of their business which means that Blend is effectively shut down.

Even if it worked on Hotspot that would be helpful, but it doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    kikipintre likes this.
    12-15-17 09:47 AM

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2017/12/...-your-loyalty/

There is your answer.
    12-15-17 10:20 AM
35 12