Although, in his broken English, we all knew that meant that the Priv was certified for Google Play Services - and not just running an Android fork like its predecessor. A rather critical distinction.
    That entire "presentation" was/is painful to hear, and even to watch.

You can tell he's struggling to navigate through the Android OS, it's like it was the first time he picked up the device.

I didn't think one could be this defensive about the indefensible but okay
    anon(5597702) and elfabio80 like this.
    02-06-20 08:07 AM

You can tell he's struggling to navigate through the Android OS, it's like it was the first time he picked up the device.

Obviously it was awkward, but you knew what he was trying to say with respect to "the google".
    02-06-20 08:10 AM
    I can never forget the "Obviously it runs Google" when he was "presenting" the Priv.
    I did listen to a lot of talking he did about changing to Android and leaving BB10. Little clips throughout the years. So I 100% know why he went the way he did and I was surprised he let kill the Passport.

Anyway, I was pretty sure this day would come, a very long time ago, that phones would go away.
    02-06-20 08:15 AM
    Well, to each his own!
    And that's the thing.... if BBOS, BB10 or BB Android work for you right now, keep using it and enjoy.
    givechanceachance likes this.
    02-06-20 08:20 AM
    ...[title[...move on
    Move on to what?

What did you move on to?

Just curious. Because right now is a severe lack of awareness for a market need for secure and practical business phones. Everything has devolved to the common denominator.
    Last edited by givechanceachance; 02-06-20 at 09:26 AM. Reason: attribution fix
    CrackNutRun likes this.
    02-06-20 09:23 AM

Everybody struggles to navigate through Android...a lot of portaging...and sometimes without a paddle.
    02-06-20 09:39 AM
    Move on to what?

What did you move on to?

Just curious. Because right now is a severe lack of awareness for a market need for secure and practical business phones. Everything has devolved to the common denominator.
    It was a nicer way of saying walk the plank ... ya bb10 scallywag...we'll be having no more of your kind on this ship built for two.
    02-06-20 09:42 AM
    Not an intriguing topic, I am uncertain what the OP wants to convey.
    02-06-20 10:02 AM
    Move on to what?

What did you move on to?

Backup your Passport data now on ur lappy or PC! That's all I would suggest! End is near! We all know! Not only me. Accept it!

Posted via CB10
    02-06-20 10:05 AM
    Move on to what?

What did you move on to?

The market is fine with what is out there... Samsung, Apple or Google.

Form Factor, Software, Apps, and even the security features.... with the right UEM, they can accomplish all they need to accomplish.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-06-20 10:07 AM
    The market is fine with what is out there... Samsung, Apple or Google.

Form Factor, Software, Apps, and even the security features.... with the right UEM, they can accomplish all they need to accomplish.
    Pretty much all common denominator. Slabs that light up with blinking over-saturated colors and apt to a gizzilian icons, pretty UI over function the do everything phone focus on ease over function (Should I write: lowest common denominator.)

My KeyOne was stolen and I have a Nokia being shipped to me. I will also keep an eye on the new Titan, assess from reviews and studies if it is free from selling usage information to third Chinese parties.
    Last edited by givechanceachance; 02-06-20 at 10:12 AM. Reason: specifics
    02-06-20 10:10 AM
    Backup your Passport data now on ur lappy or PC! That's all I would suggest! End is near! We all know! Not only me. Accept it!

Posted via CB10
    I would suggest that anyone using BB10 devices should have a up to date backup plan that doesn't depend on any BlackBerry solutions - maybe the content transfer app for moving to Android (but that's hit and miss).

Using BB10 at this point is a risk, but it might work fine for years to come.....
    02-06-20 10:10 AM
    Pretty much all common denominator. Slabs that light up with blinking over-saturated colors and apt to a gizzilian icons, pretty UI over function the do everything phone focus on ease over function (Should I write: lowest common denominator.)
    Yet, many business and government users I see are functioning just fine with that lowest common denominator. They all seem to get plenty done.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-06-20 10:25 AM
    Yet, many business and government users I see are functioning just fine with that lowest common denominator. They all seem to get plenty done.
    BB10 may not be a viable option for those not familiar with the platform-what-lemmings-believe-robert-mankof.jpg
    Source:
    https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...product=poster
    02-06-20 10:34 AM
    Everybody struggles to navigate through Android...a lot of portaging...and sometimes without a paddle.
    Citation needed.
    02-06-20 10:48 AM
    So you believe that 99.99% of the world simply don't know any better, even if some of them have actually used a BlackBerry physical keyboard in the past?
    02-06-20 10:49 AM
    So you believe that 99.99% of the world simply don't know any better, even if some of them have actually used a BlackBerry physical keyboard in the past?
    When it comes to personal privacy, I'd say yes; folks are selling their usage information to third parties probably largely unbeknownst to them. And since they technically no longer "own" their usage information, no orders are needed for anyone of authority to scoop that data for mining purposes.
    02-06-20 10:52 AM
    When it comes to personal privacy, I'd say yes; folks are selling their usage information to third parties probably largely unbeknownst to them. And since they technically no longer "own" their usage information, no orders are needed for anyone of authority to scoop that data for mining purposes.
    Thought we were discussing keyboards, not OS.

But most people, like myself, feel there is appropriate quid pro quo (in the guise of a myriad of expensive services) for the use of our anonymised data.

One just has to take reasonable precautions.
    02-06-20 10:55 AM
    Well all these businesses and governments have no other choice. And as they accept the inevitable the show begins... Numerous security challenges surface as a consequence of this inevitable acceptance that we witness every day. Has anyone considered what the world would look like today if the mobile industry would have been dominated by security centric business phones and not by data mining entertainment centric devices? For sure, with a security and privacy centric leader in the industry, the followers would have had no other choice from conforming to this culture. To some extent the invisible hand of the market has set the rules. Nevertheless it may have been not so invisible. No one can confirm its metaphorical visibility... Only history will.

P.S. we are not accepting it cause we arw loving it. Full stop
    02-06-20 02:34 PM
    Well all these businesses and governments have no other choice. And as they accept the inevitable the show begins... Numerous security challenges surface as a consequence of this inevitable acceptance that we witness every day. Has anyone considered what the world would look like today if the mobile industry would have been dominated by security centric business phones and not by data mining entertainment centric devices? For sure, with a security and privacy centric leader in the industry, the followers would have had no other choice from conforming to this culture. To some extent the invisible hand of the market has set the rules. Nevertheless it may have been not so invisible. No one can confirm its metaphorical visibility... Only history will.

What specific security challenges have surfaced as a direct result of using managed iPhone and Knox devices as opposed to BlackBerry devices?
    02-06-20 02:46 PM
    Frankly, I am fed up with doom and gloom topics about how we need to bin a device that for many of us is still working flawlessly. @Hrishikesh Jadhav, are you experiencing any issues when using the device?
    dmlis likes this.
    02-06-20 02:48 PM

They had a choice and the made it....

Sorry but things aren't as dire as you make them out to be, and BlackBerry didn't really provide a solution for these threats. Trackers worked on BB10 just like they did on any other OS, you carrier tacked data just like on any other device.

If you want to block all that... you use a VPN along with a good firewall solution.... or for Enterprise a good UEM that's locked down.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-06-20 02:48 PM
    What specific security challenges have surfaced as a direct result of using managed iPhone and Knox devices as opposed to BlackBerry devices?
    Knox was commercial released in 2018 and there can be no comparison between the level of security (or focus on it) of bbos and ios back in the beginning of the previous decade. You know that I can not name the specific security challenges you want me to, this is why you are asking me to do so. I did not mention anything about specific challenges. What I did mention though was a wider picture of a hypothetical present that could have evolved differently if BlackBerry would have continued to lead the industry. What apple or samsung did or managed to achieve about a decade late - as a spasmodic reaction to today's needs - it was BlackBerry's cultural foundation. As I mentioned in my previous post, us (the consumers) and various other factors that move the invisible hand of the market didn't choose this foundation. That's all I meant
    02-06-20 04:15 PM
    They had a choice and the made it....
    Indeed they had and indeed they did.

If you want to block all that... you use a VPN along with a good firewall solution.... or for Enterprise a good UEM that's locked down.
    Yeah silly me, it's that easy. After the inevitable but also absolute acceptance of the only alternatives by the few last remaining BB users, this superficial approach has become a viral in crackberry
    02-06-20 04:24 PM
    Knox was commercial released in 2018 and there can be no comparison between the level of security (or focus on it) of bbos and ios back in the beginning of the previous decade. You know that I can not name the specific security challenges you want me to, this is why you are asking me to do so. I did not mention anything about specific challenges. What I did mention though was a wider picture of a hypothetical present that could have evolved differently if BlackBerry would have continued to lead the industry. What apple or samsung did or managed to achieve about a decade late - as a spasmodic reaction to today's needs - it was BlackBerry's cultural foundation. As I mentioned in my previous post, us (the consumers) and various other factors that move the invisible hand of the market didn't choose this foundation. That's all I meant
    Knox 3 was released in 2018, but devices with Knox go back to 2013.

I ask you to bring up specific issues because otherwise you're just presenting your gut feeling. The reason you can't, is because there aren't any.

You cannot achieve a persistent root on a Knox device without getting kicked off an EMM.

The is no value in talking about BBOS anytime after 2011, because that platform hit a wall and was unable to be developed any further. BB10 was the next evolution of BBOS.

The attack surface today is far different from what is was back in 2013. It's mostly about data in transit, and data at rest in the cloud - neither of which are improved by anything BlackBerry developed for their devices.

Device-wise, you simply want to avoid root, and keep your business data containerised - easily accomplished by a managed Knox or iOS device.
    Last edited by conite; 02-06-20 at 04:40 PM.
    02-06-20 04:29 PM
180 1234 ...