No. Use the phone which has the apps that you want to use.

Personally, I strongly limit the number of people that have my phone number to only family and close friends, and others may contact me via FB or Instagram, or CrackBerry, of course.
    bbafdad likes this.
    05-20-16 11:39 AM
    No. Use the phone which has the apps that you want to use.

Personally, I strongly limit the number of people that have my phone number to only family and close friends, and others may contact me via FB or Instagram, or CrackBerry, of course.
    Well of course. Use what you want and be happy. But you can't say there aren't viable alternatives on BB10.

Join me on BBM!
    05-20-16 12:52 PM
    The problem here is that most BlackBerry users have family members/friends who use social apps (Whatsapp, SnapChat, Instagram, etc.) and those contacts DO NOT use email or BBM. What are we supposed to do, not interact with them?

Saying that we can get along fine using email and BBM is very short-sighted.
    Who here has contacts that don't have email or can't text?
    05-20-16 01:49 PM
    If you are firing up a project, shouldn't it be best to use a laptop? Since you are talking files, then you should be using a laptop and work that way.
    Rarely, especially while traveling. All the files are on the cloud, icloud, Google docs or Dropbox. I usually use a tablet but sometimes my iPhone 6. My assistant finalizes complex documents on her desktop.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-16 02:00 PM
    You can upload pictures and files through email (usually bigger files and pictures).
    You also have BBM that works securely and with privacy on all platforms and soon with video cross platform.

It's your choice to use whatsapp, but you still can do everything you listed on your Passport without whatsapp. It's. Just a choice you made. No need to say that you can do any of those activities on your Passport.
    It's a choice the roughly billion Whatsapp users made. You can't make users use BBM.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-16 02:09 PM
    So I was hoping you guys could help give me some perspective and advice. I'm a brand new Passport Silver Edition owner, switching from iPhone 6s. I have a buyer for the 6s when I read about the Rome and Hamburg which are scheduled to be released this summer/fall. I love BB10!! But some Apps that I need on a daily basis like my banking App aren't offered on BlackBerry and even though I've managed to download/install most of the apps through Google Playstore, they either crash or don't run very smooth...Normally this wouldn't bother me much because BlackBerry has always been good about improving their OS, but many BlackBerry users have informed me that BlackBerry doesn't have plans to improve BB10 any longer. This has really got me considering the new Rome/Hamburg for my next device....My question to you all is should I keep the Passport until the Rome/Hamburg release or the iPhone?

Posted via CB10
    Can't remember if it's been mentioned in this thread already, and I'm too lazy to read back nine pages, lol. Anyway, beyond the iPhone and the BlackBerry Passport, have you considered picking up an inexpensive Android device and loading Cobalt's BlackBerry Manager apk? That should give you a good taste of where BlackBerry is heading post-BB10 (without the PKB, DTEK, and productivity edge which are exclusive to Priv).

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...uired-1059855/

Might be something to hold you over in the interim? Anyway, just a thought.
    bbafdad likes this.
    05-20-16 05:21 PM
    Who here has contacts that don't have email or can't text?
    I have many contacts from FB, CrackBerry, Instagram, and other message boards that I do not know their email or telephone number.

Those contacts are not close friends, so I would not want to give my telephone number out to them anyway.
    05-20-16 05:53 PM
    This is for Denise in Los Angeles:

I am sorry but I fail to understand the logic of your argument.

You ask your friends and family to use BBM if you care about privacy and if they care about your desire for privacy.

It does not cost them anything to download BBM.

If they expect that you purchase a new phone, change your ecosystem, give up on your privacy, because they don't want to use BBM which costs them nothing, you have a very inconsiderate family and set of friends.
    05-20-16 08:26 PM
    It's a choice the roughly billion Whatsapp users made. You can't make users use BBM.

Posted via CB10
    I guess, according to you, they should expect a friend or family to spend money on buying a new phone (because whatsapp does not work on bb10), give up their privacy, change the ecosystem simply because they just want to use whatsapp?

Makes no sense!
    05-20-16 08:29 PM
    You guys seem to want people to adjust their workflow to match their devices instead of the other way around.
    And in your opinion you should force someone to spend 500 dollars or more on a new phone, change their ecosystem, give up on their privacy, simply because you want to force them to use whatsapp and you don't care to download BBM which works on your platform and costs you nothing?
    Where is the logic in that?
    05-20-16 08:33 PM
    I guess, according to you, they should expect a friend or family to spend money on buying a new phone (because whatsapp does not work on bb10), give up their privacy, change the ecosystem simply because they just want to use whatsapp?

Makes no sense!
    They already did. I mainly use iMessage. Almost all my contacts have iPhones.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-16 08:59 PM
    And in your opinion you should force someone to spend 500 dollars or more on a new phone, change their ecosystem, give up on their privacy, simply because you want to force them to use whatsapp and you don't care to download BBM which works on your platform and costs you nothing?
    Where is the logic in that?
    In the last few pages of this thread, it has been suggested that I:

1) make my customers change to another payment method to satisfy the fact that BB10 doesn't have mobile cheque deposits, and that I live in the past;

2) use a laptop instead of my phone for such things as Microsoft Office 365, which BB10 does not support, because using a mobile device for such things is silly;

3) should convince all of my extended friends and family, work colleges, and business associates to change to BBM because BB10 does not support the other messaging apps and social networking apps that they all use.

This is what I mean by changing workflow to match my device instead of the other way around.
    thurask likes this.
    05-20-16 09:25 PM

1) make my customers change to another payment method to satisfy the fact that BB10 doesn't have mobile cheque deposits, and that I live in the past;

2) use a laptop instead of my phone for such things as Microsoft Office 365, which BB10 does not support, because using a mobile device for such things is silly;

3) should convince all of my extended friends and family, work colleges, and business associates to change to BBM because BB10 does not support the other messaging apps and social networking apps that they all use.

This is what I mean by changing workflow to match my device instead of the other way around.
    You totally missed the points attempted to be made.
    05-20-16 09:43 PM
    You can upload pictures and files through email (usually bigger files and pictures).
    You also have BBM that works securely and with privacy on all platforms and soon with video cross platform.

It's your choice to use whatsapp, but you still can do everything you listed on your Passport without whatsapp. It's. Just a choice you made. No need to say that you can do any of those activities on your Passport.
    Actually it's not my choice, its people choice... I can't make all my work colleague and all people affiliated with me to change their whatsapp use to email or bbm just becoz I can't use whatsapp anymore in my passport..
    It's me vs the community..
    When blackberry in their golden times, I changed my phone from motorola v3 to blackerry 9300 coz people use the bbm as their main communication tool... same thing happen now, its just people change from bbm to whatsapp now as the main tool...

Posted via CB10
    05-20-16 10:31 PM
    Actually it's not my choice, its people choice... I can't make all my work colleague and all people affiliated with me to change their whatsapp use to email or bbm just becoz I can't use whatsapp anymore in my passport..
    It's me vs the community..
    Posted via CB10
    No, it's not you against the community.
    You have just chosen to pay 500-700 dollars simply to use whatsapp, a free app, which does not have any extra features over BBM, another free app which is available on all platforms, unlike whatsapp.

Again, it's absolutely not the same thing to ask someone to download one more free app than to ask somebody to buy a new phone, lose an entire ecosystem of apps, music, ebooks, files, etc.
    But anyway, there is no point arguing about this anymore.
    Anyone can choose to do what they want, but not to impose on others what they should buy and to give up personal privacy.
    Last edited by sorinv; 05-21-16 at 12:11 AM.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    05-20-16 11:55 PM

Makes no sense!
    Whatsapp has end to end encryption, BBM doesn't, BlackBerry lost the privacy game a long time ago.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-16 01:11 AM
    Whatsapp has end to end encryption, BBM doesn't, BlackBerry lost the privacy game a long time ago.

Posted via CB10
    End-to-end encryption is pretty useless if it can be circumvented, don't you think?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ss7-a...s-503894.shtml

Newfangled | C003C2D50
    05-21-16 08:39 AM

Posted via CB10
    I have BBM Protected. It costs me less than one cup of coffee per week.
    But that's not where whatsapp fails at privacy.

It fails by exposing your phone number and by agregating all the data it collects from you on all Facebook platforms.

Facebook's business model, like Google's, is to datamine you and monetize that information while lying to you that the service is free.
    The service is paid for by your privacy and IP (intelectual property) and your contacts' privacy and data.
    So, by forcing your friends and family to use whatapp, you are also delivering them, knowingly or unknowingly, to facebook and it's data collecting.

Some people's information may be worthless to them. Mine is worth more than whatever service Facebook or Google my try to peddle.
    That's why I use none of them.

BlackBerry's business model is to charge you an honest price for a phone and services. A price you know upfront. No hidden costs, no data selling for ads if you pay for an ad-free BBM version.
    Last edited by sorinv; 05-21-16 at 12:23 PM.
    anon(6038817) and Bluenoser63 like this.
    05-21-16 11:35 AM
    This is for Denise in Los Angeles:

I am sorry but I fail to understand the logic of your argument.

You ask your friends and family to use BBM if you care about privacy and if they care about your desire for privacy.

It does not cost them anything to download BBM.

If they expect that you purchase a new phone, change your ecosystem, give up on your privacy, because they don't want to use BBM which costs them nothing, you have a very inconsiderate family and set of friends.
    It's better to not try to understand Denise logic. Ask my husband.

I use BBM only for CrackBerry contacts. They most likely do not have my phone number either.

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    05-21-16 01:51 PM

1 If someone cant deposit a check on a BB10 phone they are not trying hard enough.

2 Outlook 365 is completely supported. I can edit spread sheets open docs what else do I need? I refuse to do laptop work on a phone ANYWAY.

3. An app is an app if someone rejects cross platform app like BBM that is one of the most impressive apps in the world then they have a problem.
    05-21-16 03:13 PM
    1 If someone cant deposit a check on a BB10 phone they are not trying hard enough.

2 Outlook 365 is completely supported. I can edit spread sheets open docs what else do I need? I refuse to do laptop work on a phone ANYWAY.

3. An app is an app if someone rejects cross platform app like BBM that is one of the most impressive apps in the world then they have a problem.
    1) All three banks I work with require Google Play Services and / or Android 4.4 (neither of which are supported by BB10). Of course there are workarounds for Google Play Services that currently still work.

2) Microsoft Office apps require Android 4.4 to run. I'm not talking about the old Mobile Office app.

3) Again, let's blame everyone else.
    05-21-16 03:36 PM
    1) All three banks I work with require Google Play Services and / or Android 4.4 (neither of which are supported by BB10). Of course there are workarounds for Google Play Services that currently still work.
    CRACKBERRY solution: change your banks. :P

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    ChrisLeNeve likes this.
    05-21-16 07:00 PM
    There will be limitations and advantages to all phones. A lot of things that come out of the box with bb10, you need apps for on the Priv(file manager, Microsoft, etc).

The Priv also offers advantages over bb10. The app gap is closed with the Priv. With further updates I feel this could be the best merger of the best of
    bb10 and android.

To argue what OS is better is pointless. Stick with what works for you. I used a bb10 phone with and ios device as an app machine. When I got the Priv, I retired the "app machine" concept since I could do everything that I needed to on one device.

It's all subjective to the individual user.
    05-21-16 07:33 PM
    End-to-end encryption is pretty useless if it can be circumvented, don't you think?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ss7-a...s-503894.shtml

Newfangled | C003C2D50
    If they wanted to they can always hack it.
    At least whatsapp offers it for free, BBM well..... you have to pay them a cup of coffee weekly to get on the same level.
    05-21-16 11:40 PM
    I have BBM Protected. It costs me less than one cup of coffee per week.
    But that's not where whatsapp fails at privacy.

It fails by exposing your phone number and by agregating all the data it collects from you on all Facebook platforms.

Facebook's business model, like Google's, is to datamine you and monetize that information while lying to you that the service is free.
    The service is paid for by your privacy and IP (intelectual property) and your contacts' privacy and data.
    So, by forcing your friends and family to use whatapp, you are also delivering them, knowingly or unknowingly, to facebook and it's data collecting.

Some people's information may be worthless to them. Mine is worth more than whatever service Facebook or Google my try to peddle.
    That's why I use none of them.

BlackBerry's business model is to charge you an honest price for a phone and services. A price you know upfront. No hidden costs, no data selling for ads if you pay for an ad-free BBM version.
    If you really think that way then I'd advise you to stop using BlackBerry 10, do you know how much threat does a 4.3 android runtime possess? (and yes it's made by the all evil data mining GOOGLE! ) Plus it has access to all your contacts, location, etc,and you can't even deny or remove it. even phones from 2010 have at least 4.4 loaded.

Also I don't drink coffee and I especially wouldn't pay weekly just to have something that many IMes offer for free. You have no idea how easy the police can get hold of information nowadays, and paying coffee money weekly isn't gonna stop them. Chen clearly stated that BlackBerry is all but ready to hand in the info if the law requires.

I also don't force anyone to use whatsapp. Plenty of other IM es to choose from, I did encourage people to try BBM though, and they deleted it once they saw ads in their chat lists, it's insane to have to pay for a clean chat list. That just shows you how horrible BlackBerry is doing. BBM like many other BlackBerry products, are very outdated, the key to security is ongoing maintenance, and when was the last time we saw an OS10 update form BlackBerry? Even BBM is getting less and less love.
    05-22-16 01:33 AM
294 ... 7891011 ...