Stick with the Passport. Own a piece of history.

Despite the fact that we live in a largely online, digitized, smart device world, people got along just fine before the iPhone. Unless you are a road warrior whose boss hands you a paper check every week that has to--I mean must--use your banking app... For my part, I occasionally miss an app' or two, but Amazon App store has my largely covered, and I have a MSFT Surface Pro for everything else. I wouldn't give up the 4.5" square screen, PKB, and battery life for an app or two.

I think the #1 reason people leave BBRY is because their banking app' isn't supported (based on this website. I'm not trying to make light of your situation, but it's almost become a cliche.
    05-19-16 04:02 AM
    The Rome and Hamburg are both Android iterations so you'll be quite safe with those.
    bbafdad likes this.
    05-19-16 05:34 AM
    google event yesterday is all you need to know about commitment to innovation that builds loyalty with users. i wish BB10 well, i still have my z30 but its not my daily driver anymore.
    05-19-16 10:39 AM
    I'm in construction. I receive several cheques a day. I wish I could, but I can't control my customers.
    Sorry you live in the past.
    To be more precise: he lives in the real world.
    05-19-16 11:09 AM
    I'm in construction. I receive several cheques a day. I wish I could, but I can't control my customers.
    I hope you have a rugged case for your Priv! :P

Posted via CB10
    05-19-16 11:43 AM
    None? Really none? Of ANY of those apps?
    No offense, are you a cavemen?
    No. Not a single one. And we are not cave people. We just don't need to use apps to communicate. We usually talk on the smartphone, isn't that what they are for. I guess you don't actually talk to people directly anymore. Why have a phone component if you don't talk to people?
    05-19-16 08:06 PM
    To be more precise: he lives in the real world.
    No. The future is in electronic funds transfer and not antiquated paper cheques. If I need to transfer money to someone, If they have an email address, I can transfer it to them without writing a cheque.
    05-19-16 08:08 PM
    I see what you mean. But emails and sms users vastly outnumber any of those app users. And you can be sure that the email communication platform will be around long after those chatting apps have come and gone.

At the end of the day, the main business communication tool by far is the emails and the sms.

I do not think any of the apps you mentioned would ever replace emails. I have not had a single business that provides their whatsapp instead of an email contact info.

Posted via CB10
    Not really bud, in my place people more convenient giving whatsapp number than email.. coz I think whatsapp number is more pratical, they can send pics and files now.. well at least in my work whatsapp is a main tool for us to communicate..
    I have a passport SE now, just bought it 3 months ago and it's great.. but later found out about whatsapp will stop working next year so yeah it's kind of big deal for me coz I use whatsapp as my main communication tool, for work and friends..

Posted via CB10
    05-19-16 08:19 PM
    No. Not a single one. And we are not cave people. We just don't need to use apps to communicate. We usually talk on the smartphone, isn't that what they are for. I guess you don't actually talk to people directly anymore. Why have a phone component if you don't talk to people?
    In that case, I don't think we'd need over $300 worth of device just for that, yeah? Any feature phone can do that. And quite possibly even better at that. Why must it be a BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    05-19-16 08:37 PM
    I talk a lot and I'm actually quite good at it.
    But when my colleagues fire up a project and we aren't in the same place, Wechat comes in very handy, we can start yacking and tossing files all day long for free. calling, sms, emails, they aren't instant and free. IM-es are popular for a very good reason.
    05-19-16 08:44 PM
    No. The future is in electronic funds transfer and not antiquated paper cheques. If I need to transfer money to someone, If they have an email address, I can transfer it to them without writing a cheque.
    Why don't you go back and look at the context of my remark? Yes, of course, the future is in electronic funds transfer.

Thank you for pointing that out to me ... what an insightful comment ... and to top it off all I need is an email address !!! I never would have thought of that myself. (Sarcasm)

My remark was made in the context of what Conite had said (or implied): that he has clients who want to pay by cheque, and that he can hardly refuse the cheques if he wants their business. So, obviously, I was not talking about the "future," but the present where someone might have a need for a bank app that enables cheque deposits. In this respect BB10 comes up lacking.
    05-19-16 09:10 PM
    In that case, I don't think we'd need over $300 worth of device just for that, yeah? Any feature phone can do that. And quite possibly even better at that. Why must it be a BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    Still need a full function web browser and email client.
    05-19-16 10:06 PM
    I talk a lot and I'm actually quite good at it.
    But when my colleagues fire up a project and we aren't in the same place, Wechat comes in very handy, we can start yacking and tossing files all day long for free. calling, sms, emails, they aren't instant and free. IM-es are popular for a very good reason.
    If you are firing up a project, shouldn't it be best to use a laptop? Since you are talking files, then you should be using a laptop and work that way.
    05-19-16 10:08 PM
    Why don't you go back and look at the context of my remark? Yes, of course, the future is in electronic funds transfer.

Thank you for pointing that out to me ... what an insightful comment ... and to top it off all I need is an email address !!! I never would have thought of that myself. (Sarcasm)

My remark was made in the context of what Conite had said (or implied): that he has clients who want to pay by cheque, and that he can hardly refuse the cheques if he wants their business. So, obviously, I was not talking about the "future," but the present where someone might have a need for a bank app that enables cheque deposits. In this respect BB10 comes up lacking.
    It's not BB10 that is lacking, but customers that still use cheques. I guess that BB10 is just too advanced for old style paper cheques.
    05-19-16 10:09 PM
    Bummer that your banking apps don't function properly with your Passport SE. If you lose productivity by not having functional mobile banking, it's a good decision to use what works. Because obviously you'd have to be insane to stick with something that impedes productivity.

Thankfully, android apps work fine on my OG Passport, and even though I have financial apps on my android tab, I prefer to take care of that stuff on my trusty laptop. Plus, my bank is out-of-state and if I get a check, I have to SNAIL MAIL it. It's totally crazy. My priorities are the hub, file manager, and Google maps, so I'm with this puppy til it stops being functional.

And yes, I am frustrated by how incredibly stupid the leaders of BlackBerry are. They made this fantastic OS yet made no effort to market the new devices at all. It totally could have been a Lazarus story, but clearly there is some sort of subconscious institutional self-destruction gripping the company because they had a clear contender and let it fail. They were sitting on a marketing gold mine with such productive, flexible phones after nearly tanking. Bloody idiots.
    05-20-16 01:53 AM
    If you are firing up a project, shouldn't it be best to use a laptop? Since you are talking files, then you should be using a laptop and work that way.
    I can't carry a laptop everywhere... and the smartphone is slightly cheaper.
    Plus with mobile editing apps getting more and more robust, laptops really don't seem that important.
    05-20-16 04:11 AM
    And yes, I am frustrated by how incredibly stupid the leaders of BlackBerry are. They made this fantastic OS yet made no effort to market the new devices at all. It totally could have been a Lazarus story, but clearly there is some sort of subconscious institutional self-destruction gripping the company because they had a clear contender and let it fail. They were sitting on a marketing gold mine with such productive, flexible phones after nearly tanking. Bloody idiots.
    But instead it was a Lazaridis story, lol.

Couldn't. stop. myself. =)
    GadgetTravel and kvndoom like this.
    05-20-16 05:30 AM
    ^^^THIS!!!
    It drives me mad to no end as well. I love the devices but so effin HATE the arrogantly idiotic company!

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    05-20-16 06:09 AM
    My Beloved BB10

 P A S S P O R T [ S E]  | CB App |
    05-20-16 08:52 AM
    I can't carry a laptop everywhere... and the smartphone is slightly cheaper.
    Plus with mobile editing apps getting more and more robust, laptops really don't seem that important.
    So do you need a laptop at all? If you don't, then you can't be doing that serious of work as there is no phone that can do what I need to do for my job. And I can carry my surface pro everywhere and do.
    05-20-16 09:10 AM
    Not really bud, in my place people more convenient giving whatsapp number than email.. coz I think whatsapp number is more pratical, they can send pics and files now.. well at least in my work whatsapp is a main tool for us to communicate..
    I have a passport SE now, just bought it 3 months ago and it's great.. but later found out about whatsapp will stop working next year so yeah it's kind of big deal for me coz I use whatsapp as my main communication tool, for work and friends..

Posted via CB10
    You can upload pictures and files through email (usually bigger files and pictures).
    You also have BBM that works securely and with privacy on all platforms and soon with video cross platform.

It's your choice to use whatsapp, but you still can do everything you listed on your Passport without whatsapp. It's just a choice you made. No need to say that you cannot do any of those activities on your Passport.
    Last edited by sorinv; 05-21-16 at 12:08 AM.
    05-20-16 09:20 AM
    So do you need a laptop at all? If you don't, then you can't be doing that serious of work as there is no phone that can do what I need to do for my job. And I can carry my surface pro everywhere and do.
    This.

Before the smartphone most people used a PC for entertainment (surfing the web and games) email, and some text editing, not really for business.

When smartphones and tablets came out, those people didn't really need a PC or laptop anymore.

However, a smartphone is more than a laptop. It has sensors and a cellular transceiver that a laptop doesn't.

BlackBerry (Lazaridis' idea) had it right when they launched bb10.
    They wanted to release a mobile laptop.
    The Passport is the closest to that. The last device developed before Chen.

Too bad the BlackBerry board hired Chen to ruin the idea.
    I am almost certain that 2-3 years from now Apple or others will take it and sail with it.

We'll all be sporting mobile laptops as smartphones in a few years, but they won't be BlackBerry devices.
    05-20-16 10:19 AM
    You can upload pictures and files through email (usually bigger files and pictures).
    You also have BBM that works securely and with privacy on all platforms and soon with video cross platform.

It's your choice to use whatsapp, but you still can do everything you listed on your Passport without whatsapp. It's. Just a choice you made. No need to say that you can do any of those activities on your Passport.
    The problem here is that most BlackBerry users have family members/friends who use social apps (Whatsapp, SnapChat, Instagram, etc.) and those contacts DO NOT use email or BBM. What are we supposed to do, not interact with them?

Saying that we can get along fine using email and BBM is very short-sighted.
    05-20-16 11:01 AM
    This.

Before the smartphone most people used a PC for entertainment (surfing the web and games) email, and some text editing, not really for business.

When smartphones and tablets came out, those people didn't really need a PC or laptop anymore.

However, a smartphone is more than a laptop. It has sensors and a cellular transceiver that a laptop doesn't.

BlackBerry (Lazaridis' idea) had it right when they launched bb10.
    They wanted to release a mobile laptop.
    The Passport is the closest to that. The last device developed before Chen.

Too bad the BlackBerry board hired Chen to ruin the idea.
    I am almost certain that 2-3 years from now Apple or others will take it and sail with it.

We'll all be sporting mobile laptops as smartphones in a few years, but they won't be BlackBerry devices.
    You guys seem to want people to adjust their workflow to match their devices instead of the other way around.
    05-20-16 11:01 AM
    The problem here is that most BlackBerry users have family members/friends who use social apps (Whatsapp, SnapChat, Instagram, etc.) and those contacts DO NOT use email or BBM. What are we supposed to do, not interact with them?

Saying that we can get along fine using email and BBM is very short-sighted.
    SMS/MMS?

Join me on BBM!
    05-20-16 11:20 AM
294 ... 678910 ...