Much ado about nothing here. There is no need to rely on your phone for every aspect of your life. Have you not heard of an interact or credit card with tap an pay? I get maybe one or two cheques a year but walk right by my bank probably twice a week. Everything is direct deposit or automatic withdrawal. Nothing could be easier and no phone required. Carrying a cheque once or twice a year is not a burden. Use bbm or texting for messaging, etc.

Posted via CB10
    Z10Jobe and others concerning the frequency of check use. I level with you 100% that most people don't use checks that often anymore, but my wife does for her business and our bank has no local branches so we are forced to do everything digitally even, deposits.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-16 11:01 AM
    Going back to my 200 cent post, just accept BB10 as it is. Don't expect 3rd party developers to rush out and make, update or support existing apps if they exist. BlackBerry cannot force them to do so. You will get Android ports at best, and will be limited by the idiosyncrasies of the Android Run Time. The sooner you accept that, the better. The best BlackBerry can do is to keep the Android updated and integrate better with the hardware (bluetooth, services) and that will stem the bleed. Banks and every other business want to get the best return on their investment and will prioritize iOS and Android.

Enjoy the phone, enjoy BB10, milk it for as long as you can handle it. Some people will bail sooner than others, depending on their needs. I do what I need with BB10 but not deluding myself.
    bbafdad likes this.
    05-18-16 04:46 PM
    Z10Jobe and others concerning the frequency of check use. I level with you 100% that most people don't use checks that often anymore, but my wife does for her business and our bank has no local branches so we are forced to do everything digitally even, deposits.

Posted via CB10
    On a side note, just curious if you had a chance to mess around with the original Passport prior to the SE? If so, how do you find the difference in the pkb ie tactile? I've heard the keys are a bit softer / less clicky on the SE and was wondering if that's true.
    05-18-16 04:52 PM
    And you can't scan and deposit cheques from your computer or through a website?

Posted via CB10
    05-18-16 04:59 PM
    Sold my Passport SE. In the process of selling my other Blackberry devices. The only one I will keep is my Classic because of it's easy to hold size and pkb.
    05-18-16 05:13 PM
    I want a communication phone not an app phone

Posted from a wireless charging Passport. Get one!
    bbafdad, Bluenoser63 and acovey like this.
    05-18-16 05:58 PM
    OP, I understand the frustration that comes with being a BB10 owner. I used to have a Classic or Passport and used at 6plus and an ipad for all the apps. It all depends on what you prioritize on your phone. If it's communication over apps, you'd be hard pressed to find a better device than the Passport. If its App > Communication, i would suggest one of two things. Either switch to another platform(btw Priv is a good choice. its now my daily driver. Try to find something on deal if you get it.) or use a two device set up. Get a cheap apple or android phone or tablet and use that to bridge the gap. I used this set up for a long time until i got my Priv.

hope this helps.
    05-18-16 06:18 PM
    I want a communication phone not an app phone

Posted from a wireless charging Passport. Get one!
    In all seriousness, are not apps like WhatsApp (1 billion users), Telegram (100 million users), Viber (600 million users), Wechat (500 million users), Facebook Messenger (900 million users), and many others, communication apps? Are only email, SMS, and BBM considered communication?
    werkregen likes this.
    05-18-16 06:29 PM
    In all seriousness, are not apps like WhatsApp (1 billion users), Telegram (100 million users), Viber (600 million users), Wechat (500 million users), Facebook Messenger (900 million users), and many others, communication apps? Are only email, SMS, and BBM considered communication?
    Devil's Advocate, ha. You can SMS anyone, regardless of platform. Turn off iMessage, Google Hangouts, etc and if you have a person's phone number they're available. And with unlimited SMS, it doesn't bite into your data. Kinda like the benefit of a built in FM radio vs streaming (unless your carrier has a provisio for that).

Interesting that Google now has DUO and ALLO, and seem to be throwing Hangouts under the bus. Not a lot of happy campys in the Android world at the moment.

Thanks for the heads up on Solid Explorer by the way. Great app, purchased. =)
    05-18-16 06:35 PM
    I know this quote wasn't directed at me, but when I say communication, it's more about the ease of flowing from one conversation to the next on bb10. Flowing from one thing to another on the Priv is slower, albeit slightly, than anything I had on bb10.

It's not just about the apps, for me anyways.
    acovey and Zeratul57 like this.
    05-18-16 07:25 PM
    Smartphone buyers want more than SMS. They want all the newest apps. Even if they only need Snapchat for one contact, they want to have it on their phones.
    05-18-16 07:28 PM
    Smartphone buyers want more than SMS. They want all the newest apps. Even if they only need Snapchat for one contact, they want to have it on their phones.
    Oh, I agree about the availability of apps, just saying that a lack of any popular messaging app isn't going to kill your ability to communicate with someone efficiently. I'm in Canada, and I honestly don't know anyone who uses WhatsApp, etc - it's SMS (via iMessage or Hangouts). I have a number of BBM contacts but they're all close friends and family mostly, it's more of an indulgence to use than anything.

EDIT: Thinking on it, a number of people DO use Facebook Messenger. If there's a popular alternative within my own personal circle it's that.
    05-18-16 07:34 PM
    I'll spare you the list of major and useful apps that BB10 doesn't have.
    Yeah. You can spare me the list of apps I don't need are not major or useful to me.
    acovey likes this.
    05-18-16 08:16 PM
    People receive small checks all the time for all sorts of things: rebates, class action settlements, etc. Touting BB10 productivity is a joke when you have to make an additional trip to the bank every few weeks. A smartphone is about making things more convenient, not having to carry around a second device, use cash more often rather than electronic payments, enter your passcode in 50 times per day, carry around your checks until you can get them deposited, find a way to message your WhatsApp friends, find a workaround to get a ridesharing app when you need it, etc.
    I haven't received a cheque in the last two years. Everything is electronic. If you are depositing cheques, you aren't being part of the future.
    acovey likes this.
    05-18-16 08:18 PM
    I don't know a single person who uses any of those apps, everyone I communicate with is email, SMS or BBM or actually call them on the phone. And I communicate a lot.
    05-18-16 08:21 PM
    I don't know a single person who uses any of those apps, everyone I communicate with is email, SMS or BBM or actually call them on the phone. And I communicate a lot.
    I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying they aren't communication apps because you don't personally know any of the staggeringly high number of users of those apps?
    05-18-16 08:27 PM
    I haven't received a cheque in the last two years. Everything is electronic. If you are depositing cheques, you aren't being part of the future.
    I'm in construction. I receive several cheques a day. I wish I could, but I can't control my customers.
    bbafdad likes this.
    05-18-16 08:28 PM
    I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying they aren't communication apps because you don't personally know any of the staggeringly high number of users of those apps?
    What I am saying is that for everyone I know, they don't use those apps for communications. So if they aren't used by anyone I know, then are they actually important?
    05-18-16 08:38 PM
    I'm in construction. I receive several cheques a day. I wish I could, but I can't control my customers.
    Sorry you live in the past.
    05-18-16 08:39 PM
    None? Really none? Of ANY of those apps?
    No offense, are you a cavemen?
    05-18-16 09:50 PM
    Oh, I agree about the availability of apps, just saying that a lack of any popular messaging app isn't going to kill your ability to communicate with someone efficiently. I'm in Canada, and I honestly don't know anyone who uses WhatsApp, etc - it's SMS (via iMessage or Hangouts). I have a number of BBM contacts but they're all close friends and family mostly, it's more of an indulgence to use than anything.

EDIT: Thinking on it, a number of people DO use Facebook Messenger. If there's a popular alternative within my own personal circle it's that.
    Lack of popular apps will kill a phone company's sales - example: BlackBerry. It really is not about efficient communication. It's about 'popular apps'.

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    05-18-16 09:57 PM
    Lack of popular apps will kill a phone company's sales - example: BlackBerry. It really is not about efficient communication. It's about 'popular apps'.

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    I agree when it comes to platforms. Though we're about to enter the post-apps era where it comes down to iOS vs Android where the silly apps argument doesn't matter anymore. Thank God for that, it's tiresome, lol.
    05-18-16 10:04 PM
    None? Really none? Of ANY of those apps?
    No offense, are you a cavemen?
    Quite the opposite. I am assuming that he lives in the real world where he doesn't need a specialized app to talk to someone.

My son uses WhatsApp to talk to his buddies, but other than that I don't know of anybody whom uses those other apps. They really aren't that important.

Posted via CB10
    acovey, skstrials and bbafdad like this.
    05-18-16 10:48 PM
    You've been answered. You just don't want to accept the answers. This isn't a paid forum. There aren't any rules stating that only good things about BB the company or BB phones are allowed.

People enjoy discussing Blackberry, whether it's good news or bad news. This is the #1 Blackberry site. You do the math. Nearly everyone who posts here has or has had a Blackberry device. In some cases, multiple (as I'm on my 6th BB phone now). That's why they're here.

However, all you want to hear through your tunnel hearing is "BLACKBERRY GOOD! BB10 ROOLZ!" You won't accept anything else. So you'll never find happiness here. Sorry.

That IS your answer.
    Good try but again if you have moved to a different OS why are people here telling others to move to iOS or Android? If I want to learn about other OS's I would go to their forms but I have a Blackberry using BB10 and thats what I read. I no longer read threads marked Priv or Android. I suggest if my support of BB10 bothers you just skip my posts or block them.
    bbafdad likes this.
    05-19-16 12:49 AM
    I see what you mean. But emails and sms users vastly outnumber any of those app users. And you can be sure that the email communication platform will be around long after those chatting apps have come and gone.

At the end of the day, the main business communication tool by far is the emails and the sms.

I do not think any of the apps you mentioned would ever replace emails. I have not had a single business that provides their whatsapp instead of an email contact info.

Posted via CB10
    heepman likes this.
    05-19-16 01:31 AM
294 ... 56789 ...