So I was hoping you guys could help give me some perspective and advice. I'm a brand new Passport Silver Edition owner, switching from iPhone 6s. I have a buyer for the 6s when I read about the Rome and Hamburg which are scheduled to be released this summer/fall. I love BB10!! But some Apps that I need on a daily basis like my banking App aren't offered on BlackBerry and even though I've managed to download/install most of the apps through Google Playstore, they either crash or don't run very smooth...Normally this wouldn't bother me much because BlackBerry has always been good about improving their OS, but many BlackBerry users have informed me that BlackBerry doesn't have plans to improve BB10 any longer. This has really got me considering the new Rome/Hamburg for my next device....My question to you all is should I keep the Passport until the Rome/Hamburg release or the iPhone?

Posted via CB10
    Get a priv in the meantime. I highly doubt that BlackBerry is going to discontinue BB10 OS anyway.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    bbafdad likes this.
    05-17-16 09:36 PM
    This isn't a support group. It's a discussion forum. Not much debate can happen if everybody agrees on everything. You should start a site where only positive comments about Blackberry (whether they are true or not) are allowed. All negative/true information will be moderated and users banned. Then see how long it lasts.
    I thought it was a easy question, still no answer?
    05-17-16 11:10 PM
    Get a priv in the meantime. I highly doubt that BlackBerry is going to discontinue BB10 OS anyway.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    What makes you say that? You believe they will continue,OS improvements and updates?

Posted via CB10
    05-18-16 04:25 AM
    I had this dilemma and last Saturday I switched to a Samsung Galaxy S7 from the Q10 after many years with BlackBerry. It wasn't easy but no regrets. Do your homework it pays off.
    Artie, what do you mean, "Do my homework, it pays off"?

Posted via CB10
    05-18-16 04:27 AM
    Artie, what do you mean, "Do my homework, it pays off"?

Posted via CB10
    I think he means stop thinking with your feet and just barely admit, that BlackBerry handsets are pretty awful compared to major manufacturers.

I'm not being sarcastic, it's really true. using the passport for a year ,makes the new MM phones feels like year 3000 technology.
    05-18-16 04:39 AM
    [QUOTE=EdY;12435445]I read the entire thread and I'd like to throw in my 2 cents (or more like 200 cents... feel free to publish my long ranting story).

EdY, thank you for your comments and advice! And thank you for your loyalty and development with BlackBerry! I too have been a BlackBerry fan since my Bold 8900 and over the years upgraded to the 9780, Torch, 9900, Z10 and now the Passport Silver Edition. I would consider myself a die-hard BlackBerry fan but, as die-hard as I am, I also am tired of the ups and downs and delayed or empty promises. I honestly wish BlackBerry would have continued with the original flagship of BB10, the Z10 like samsung did with the original flagship of Android, the Galaxy S or like Apple has done...I wanted to do what you did, be a BlackBerry family with the phones and Playbook. My wife and I used to have BlackBerry phones, both of us, until she got an iPhone and she's never went back, sadly.

So, having said all that, having been so involved with BlackBerry at multiple levels for some time, what would your forecast of BB10 be if you had to make one? Do you see BlackBerry abandoning BB10 by stopping OS improvements and updates only continuing maintenance updates to favor DroidBerry phones? What are your thoughts on this article?
    https://berryflow.com/2016/05/way-forward-bb10/

Thanks again!!

Posted via CB10
    05-18-16 04:51 AM
    It's very simple..

1. Is Blackberry going to continue development of BB10 devices? While (mostly) everyone here seems positive, Chen has been dropping hints he's not. Eg. Smartphone market is saturated..

2. Phone builds not consistent. Z10 was good, Q10 was bad, Q5 a poor man's Q10, Z30 good but bulky, Z3 bad, Passport was an innovative idea but not suited for the OS, Classic a refreshing change, Priv.. A Ferrari with a Renault Duster engine..

3. App support.. Face it Android was the only way BB10 was going to work.. And Android being open source helped the cause

What Blackberry is good at is security, period. The only other phone that comes close is Apple (not too close). In fact, I think they should just release a BB version of Android and redesign their hardware for this OS. It would be the most secure flavor of Android ever.

Anyhow, it's all just my opinion but frankly .. I loved blackberry. I went from a 9360 to 9900 to a Z10 to a Q5. I'm on iPhone now but I would prefer using BB over AirWatch as an email container. Perhaps they should have something like that for non-corporate emails.

My response to the original question.. Keep the Passport, forget the Rome and Hamburg. Wait till fall to see which way BB has decided to go and then go for an iPhone 7! Cheers!
    bbafdad likes this.
    05-18-16 04:56 AM
    I thought it was a easy question, still no answer?
    You've been answered. You just don't want to accept the answers. This isn't a paid forum. There aren't any rules stating that only good things about BB the company or BB phones are allowed.

People enjoy discussing Blackberry, whether it's good news or bad news. This is the #1 Blackberry site. You do the math. Nearly everyone who posts here has or has had a Blackberry device. In some cases, multiple (as I'm on my 6th BB phone now). That's why they're here.

However, all you want to hear through your tunnel hearing is "BLACKBERRY GOOD! BB10 ROOLZ!" You won't accept anything else. So you'll never find happiness here. Sorry.

That IS your answer.
    05-18-16 05:56 AM
    So I was hoping you guys could help give me some perspective and advice. I'm a brand new Passport Silver Edition owner, switching from iPhone 6s. I have a buyer for the 6s when I read about the Rome and Hamburg which are scheduled to be released this summer/fall. I love BB10!! But some Apps that I need on a daily basis like my banking App aren't offered on BlackBerry and even though I've managed to download/install most of the apps through Google Playstore, they either crash or don't run very smooth...Normally this wouldn't bother me much because BlackBerry has always been good about improving their OS, but many BlackBerry users have informed me that BlackBerry doesn't have plans to improve BB10 any longer. This has really got me considering the new Rome/Hamburg for my next device....My question to you all is should I keep the Passport until the Rome/Hamburg release or the iPhone?

Posted via CB10
    If you want apps and keyboard then blackberry priv is the way to go. What is the point of waiting for new blackberry phones if priv is perfectly capable device.

Blackberry 10 is good if you do not need phone for more than messaging. App situation on bb10 is bad. I switched to priv and I am very happy with my decision.
    05-18-16 06:25 AM
    I read the entire thread and I'd like to throw in my 2 cents (or more like 200 cents... feel free to publish my long ranting story).
    Thanks for all your devotion, EdY.
    Many devs have complaints about the runtime, but frankly the average user couldn't survive without it.
    bbafdad likes this.
    05-18-16 06:32 AM
    If it turns out that BB10 ends up being nothing but for multimedia (offline music and videos), phone calls, emails, texts only--with apps being somewhat available but weak--basically a PlayBook 2 fiasco, since without further updates the browser will plunge to a slow death as well, like hell I would buy any of its device for more than $80. Even for the Passport series, because in the end, all that it sells is security (without proper supports and updates, even that will eventually be marginal at best) and keyboard.

This pisses me off to no end. What a joke.
    05-18-16 06:39 AM
    I think he means stop thinking with your feet and just barely admit, that BlackBerry handsets are pretty awful compared to major manufacturers.

I'm not being sarcastic, it's really true. using the passport for a year ,makes the new MM phones feels like year 3000 technology.
    You're not being sarcastic, you're being subjective.

I find BlackBerry handsets to be of high quality and BB10 to be a fantastic mobile OS.

And I have tried and used phones from all the other platforms.

It comes down to personal preference.

Posted from my  Z10 via CB10
    05-18-16 07:16 AM
    It is not possible to make mobile deposits via browser... ya have to use app for that.
    Never needed it. I can and do internet transfers. No need for cheques anymore.
    05-18-16 07:17 AM

It is only true in your mind. The Z30 with BB10 still outshines all the other phones out there. I have MM and it is a joke of an OS in terms of navigation and productivity as a communications device.
    05-18-16 07:21 AM
    It is only true in your mind. The Z30 with BB10 still outshines all the other phones out there. I have MM and it is a joke of an OS in terms of navigation and productivity as a communications device.
    I'll spare you the list of major and useful apps that BB10 doesn't have.
    05-18-16 07:32 AM
    I'll spare you the list of major and useful apps that BB10 doesn't have.
    My take on it is... BB10 is a great OS, but it failed as a platform. People are being sold on the platform (i.e. ecosystem), and Blackberry's just can't compare. For phone stuff, and features built into the OS, BB10 takes the cake. But it doesn't go very far "outside the box" so to speak, as in having a healthy ecosystem.
    05-18-16 07:37 AM
    My take on it is... BB10 is a great OS, but it failed as a platform. People are being sold on the platform (i.e. ecosystem), and Blackberry's just can't compare. For phone stuff, and features built into the OS, BB10 takes the cake. But it doesn't go very far "outside the box" so to speak, as in having a healthy ecosystem.
    Sounds about right, and by platform that includes tablets, watches, car software, and in Apple's case, computers. Hopefully they can figure out their niche in mobile on Android and pump out some nice touch capacitive pkb phones like the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-16 07:42 AM
    My advice: You sould stay with your 6s or If you really want the blackberry goodies, you must trade your Passport SE for a Priv. Problably you wouldn't see any major update for BB10, no new android runtime so if your apps don't work now... it will not get any better in the future.
    05-18-16 07:51 AM
  19. onehundreddollarpartyperson's Avatar
    Depends on your situation. In Canada we have direct deposit for nearly everything. Its mid-May and I have not had to go to the bank even once to deposit a cheque.
    People receive small checks all the time for all sorts of things: rebates, class action settlements, etc. Touting BB10 productivity is a joke when you have to make an additional trip to the bank every few weeks. A smartphone is about making things more convenient, not having to carry around a second device, use cash more often rather than electronic payments, enter your passcode in 50 times per day, carry around your checks until you can get them deposited, find a way to message your WhatsApp friends, find a workaround to get a ridesharing app when you need it, etc.
    Polt and bbafdad like this.
    05-18-16 08:42 AM
    People receive small checks all the time for all sorts of things: rebates, class action settlements, etc. Touting BB10 productivity is a joke when you have to make an additional trip to the bank every few weeks.
    I'm just stating a fact in my situation. I am not getting into any argument over whether or not BB10 is productive. And you were spot on about those cheques that you mentioned. The last 2 cheques I had to deposit in my bank were indeed a tiny rebate cheque and a class action settlement cheque. I cannot remember when I had to deposit them because they were sometime in 2015. If you will look at my first sentence, unlike you, I am NOT generalizing.
    05-18-16 08:52 AM
    People receive small checks all the time for all sorts of things: rebates, class action settlements, etc. Touting BB10 productivity is a joke when you have to make an additional trip to the bank every few weeks. A smartphone is about making things more convenient, not having to carry around a second device, use cash more often rather than electronic payments, enter your passcode in 50 times per day, carry around your checks until you can get them deposited, find a way to message your WhatsApp friends, find a workaround to get a ridesharing app when you need it, etc.
    Much ado about nothing here. There is no need to rely on your phone for every aspect of your life. Have you not heard of an interact or credit card with tap an pay? I get maybe one or two cheques a year but walk right by my bank probably twice a week. Everything is direct deposit or automatic withdrawal. Nothing could be easier and no phone required. Carrying a cheque once or twice a year is not a burden. Use bbm or texting for messaging, etc.

Posted via CB10
    bbafdad likes this.
    05-18-16 10:24 AM
    My take: Just use what you like, for as long as you possibly can. There is no such thing as 'the best' - just what you prefer.

Posted via CB10
    anon(6038817) and bbafdad like this.
    05-18-16 10:36 AM
    Well, I think that if Canada invaded the US from the north, Venezuela, Colombia, Argentina and Mexico from the south and the UK from the east, the Yanks would be so screwed. Like, BIG time.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    05-18-16 10:43 AM
    That'll teach 'em for their treason against the crown.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    05-18-16 10:44 AM
    You've been answered. You just don't want to accept the answers. This isn't a paid forum. There aren't any rules stating that only good things about BB the company or BB phones are allowed.

People enjoy discussing Blackberry, whether it's good news or bad news. This is the #1 Blackberry site. You do the math. Nearly everyone who posts here has or has had a Blackberry device. In some cases, multiple (as I'm on my 6th BB phone now). That's why they're here.

However, all you want to hear through your tunnel hearing is "BLACKBERRY GOOD! BB10 ROOLZ!" You won't accept anything else. So you'll never find happiness here. Sorry.

That IS your answer.
    Kvndoom, I appreciate your insight and where you're correct that many users of this forum are fans of BlackBerry, as you can see that doesn't necessarily equal a canned "BlackBerry roolz" response. Just take a look at the previous comment to yours for example. I posted this question to this community to get perspective and knowledge to make the most informed decision, and that's exactly what I've received .

Thank you for your input.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-16 10:49 AM
294 ... 45678 ...