This is funny. A guy comes to a BB forum for help, and people advise is "run!"

Then, when people be finally gone, and Blackberry close the hardware division, we will see the same people crying all over it...
    This person has a Passport which doesn't run apps he NEEDS. Much different than someone posting "which phone should I get?" I would always recommend BlackBerry to anyone who's in the market for a new phone and has no particular needs from their device. However, based on the OP's post, that's not the case here. Would you recommend someone get a rear wheel drive sports car for someone who needs a vehicle that's good in the snow and can go off-road? That wouldn't make sense. It doesn't make sense that this user get rid of a phone that has the functionality they NEED and keep one that doesn't have it. This is just logic. Has nothing to do with anyone liking or disliking the BlackBerry OS. I love it...but it's not going to work for this user because of their needs.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    bbafdad and bigjman like this.
    05-16-16 09:43 AM
    This person has a Passport which doesn't run apps he NEEDS. Much different than someone posting "which phone should I get?" I would always recommend BlackBerry to anyone who's in the market for a new phone and has no particular needs from their device. However, based on the OP's post, that's not the case here. Would you recommend someone get a rear wheel drive sports car for someone who needs a vehicle that's good in the snow and can go off-road? That wouldn't make sense. It doesn't make sense that this user get rid of a phone that has the functionality they NEED and keep one that doesn't have it. This is just logic. Has nothing to do with anyone liking or disliking the BlackBerry OS. I love it...but it's not going to work for this user because of their needs.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    Try explaining this to some people their logic is to carry an Android tablet along with the phone so you have all the apps you need in one place.
    05-16-16 09:47 AM
    this is where you people fail to see where bb is completely broken. bb is "supposed" to be a "business" phone yet they offer little to no support for a bunch of banks. this is why people are moving away from bb since they cant offer something that other phones do, not everyone is going to go out and lug around an additional tablet to use a banking app or another app that bb doesn't support they will just get another phone that does what they need it to.
    I never lug around a tablet, although if I had to, it wouldn't be that onerous. The App situation for BlackBerry has been discussed extensively here. Nothing new. I was just saying that there is an option to buy a cheap tablet if you need apps that don't run on BlackBerry. I never had the need for a banking app, but user needs vary.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-16 09:48 AM
    Try explaining this to some people their logic is to carry an Android tablet along with the phone so you have all the apps you need in one place.
    Ummmm... you can use the tablet at home perhaps. No need to carry the Android tablet. You seem angry that BlackBerry users can still access all the apps that you can with some minor compromise. Get out and enjoy the sunshine and don't worry about us BlackBerry dudes. We will be okay.

Via me Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    05-16-16 10:08 AM
    If it cannot fulfill your requirements, Then what's the point in clinging on it. BB10 is good and i love it. but if the apps which you want doesn't work then better switch it.
    bbafdad likes this.
    05-16-16 10:08 AM
    Not anymore--Snap is broken. It works if you have not logged out, but anyone attempting to log in now will find that it no longer will.
    Is this true?

Posted via CB10
    05-16-16 10:41 AM
    So I was hoping you guys could help give me some perspective and advice. I'm a brand new Passport Silver Edition owner, switching from iPhone 6s. I have a buyer for the 6s when I read about the Rome and Hamburg which are scheduled to be released this summer/fall. I love BB10!! But some Apps that I need on a daily basis like my banking App aren't offered on BlackBerry and even though I've managed to download/install most of the apps through Google Playstore, they either crash or don't run very smooth...Normally this wouldn't bother me much because BlackBerry has always been good about improving their OS, but many BlackBerry users have informed me that BlackBerry doesn't have plans to improve BB10 any longer. This has really got me considering the new Rome/Hamburg for my next device....My question to you all is should I keep the Passport until the Rome/Hamburg release or the iPhone?

Posted via CB10
    You should try installing Cobalt. http://forums.crackberry.com/android...g-page-965257/ You just require three apk's and the Cobalt Google play store downloads t your phone. And even if an app says must hav Google play services when opened most of time I tap past message on screen and they work.
    bbafdad likes this.
    05-16-16 11:02 AM
    Is this true?

Posted via CB10
    Yes
    05-16-16 11:03 AM
    this is where you people fail to see where bb is completely broken. bb is "supposed" to be a "business" phone yet they offer little to no support for a bunch of banks. this is why people are moving away from bb since they cant offer something that other phones do, not everyone is going to go out and lug around an additional tablet to use a banking app or another app that bb doesn't support they will just get another phone that does what they need it to.
    I would classify a bank app as for personal use.

But, sure, you are right about BlackBerry not upgrading any of their bb10 apps: business or otherwise, because Chen and the Board decided upon Chen's arrival to kill BB10 6-7 months after it was launched.
    No OS can succeed after 6 months, certainly not after they announced the company was for sale.

The same mistake was repeated with android by BlackBerry, which stands even a smaller chance of success than bb10. That is because Chen decided to broadcast to the world that he would shut down hardware if Priv wasn't going to sell, right on the Priv's launch.

Try starting a high tech company and go to VC's telling them that you are not sure the product you are trying to build will sell.
    See if they'll give you any funding.

The number one rule for a high tech business is to believe in the success of the product they are going to launch and to do everything possible to sell it.
    bbafdad and crackberry_geek like this.
    05-16-16 11:09 AM
    You should try installing Cobalt. http://forums.crackberry.com/android...g-page-965257/ You just require three apk's and the Cobalt Google play store downloads t your phone. And even if an app says must hav Google play services when opened most of time I tap past message on screen and they work.
    I have downloaded all of Cobalts apks and used them to download the Android apps that weren't offered on BlackBerry App World. Some of them work decently, but most sadly don't.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-16 11:24 AM
    I want to thank everyone for offering their advice and suggestions! I reached out to this community because I knew the knowledge base on current BlackBerry news was most prevalent here and I needed the most up to date reliable info to make an informed decision.

Like many of you were or are currently, I am an avid fan of BlackBerry regardless of the shortcomings of past and present leadership. I would like to think if given the opportunity to lead BlackBerry, that I would make the right call every single time, but the reality is, I would make the best call I could at the time given the info I had to go off which is what I believe and hope Chen has done.

Where it has been great to be plugged back into BlackBerry with my recent purchase of my BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition that showcases in extravagant fashion how productive and intuitive BlackBerry can be, I will be, with great disappointment, going back to iOS. The largest reason is the app selection. Now, I am NOT an app addict by any means. Every app I use has a function, communication, banking, my business that I run, auto maintenance, health/fitness to name a few. You won't find any face-changing apps or any games whatsoever on my handsets - all business. Which is why I was drawn to and have enjoyed BlackBerry through the years dating back to my BlackBerry Bold 9780. And where BlackBerry still does business very well, for reasons that escape me or are above my "pay-grade" apps just haven't been an area that BlackBerry has actively sought to improve from what I've read and seen.

The solutions to the "app problem" have never really been "solved" just bandaged, unfortunately. And it's for this reason that I see a lot of users and critics claim that consumers just didn't like BB10. I must disagree. Since my purchase, all of my coworkers and friends, were surprised by the design and look of my new Passport Silver Edition, they've all been very impressed with the hub, peak-view, contact management, the touch-sensitive physical keyboard, BlackBerry Assistant, BlackBerry Blend, BlackBerry Link, and the overall flow of the OS. I know this has been a highly debated topic and I don't intend to reopen that can of worms, just to add perspective.

The second significant reason driving my decision and I'm sure countless others' as well, is the lack of OS support. It's very discouraging to hear and read that BlackBerry will no longer be supporting BB10 with improvement updates, only maintenance for the next two updates, both of which have been delayed significantly. It's just as discouraging to read news about the "Built For BlackBerry" program going away...If BlackBerry wants to instill hope in their customers, they have a weird way of doing it. BLUF (Bottom Line Upfront): I don't want to commit to an OS that's just about at EOL. I hope none of this is true, but this is what I've been informed of and read about so if my info is dated, please shoot me updates!

So, regrettably, unless some major app release has been stalling and decides to open the app floodgates in BlackBerry AppWorld, I'll be forced to resume day-to-day ops with my iPhone 6s and return my BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition in hopes that the Rome will offer an upgraded experience from the Priv staying true to some BlackBerry staples like the hub, and swipe gestures.

- Completely created and edited on my BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition -

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bbafdad; 05-16-16 at 12:33 PM.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    05-16-16 12:16 PM
    I hope there will be an Android version that works the same like BB10 in gesture,swipe and active frames, also the HUB. So far it's not so I keep with BB10 but I need an android update for some news apps from work that demanding android 4.4.x
    bbafdad likes this.
    05-16-16 12:25 PM
    Ummmm... you can use the tablet at home perhaps. No need to carry the Android tablet. You seem angry that BlackBerry users can still access all the apps that you can with some minor compromise. Get out and enjoy the sunshine and don't worry about us BlackBerry dudes. We will be okay.

Via me Z10.

Posted via CB10

Sorry but angry and worry are not things that i mingle with the fact is that people are turned off to bb for a number of reasons and bb has failed to address these issues over and over again instead of trying to fix what's broken they leave it broken or someone else has to come in and do a patch job for them. Bb10 is great yes but there's just too many things that don't work that turns off the masses.
    05-16-16 12:28 PM
    Thanks for sharing bbafdad. I agree on the features and form factor of Passport. We'll see what happens on the software and hardware front in the next year or so I'm sure.

Posted via CB10
    bbafdad likes this.
    05-16-16 01:03 PM
    I would say go and buy a Blackberry Priv thats it it is out there available and upgradable to MM ( andr 6) , thats the best you can get and all ups will work because they should work decently . BBV 10 is great but sadly its going bad this days .... no apps , no marketing , no money . No devices to upgrade to a full touch . There is not even one full touch new device to buy with a future looking OS BB z10 is new ????? maybe you will sugest z 30 ????? omg only priv nothing else we should reach the 3 milion devices by spring SO GUYS LETS GO buy BLACKBERRY PRIV
    05-16-16 02:31 PM
    I would say go and buy a Blackberry Priv thats it it is out there available and upgradable to MM ( andr 6) , thats the best you can get and all ups will work because they should work decently . BBV 10 is great but sadly its going bad this days .... no apps , no marketing , no money . No devices to upgrade to a full touch . There is not even one full touch new device to buy with a future looking OS BB z10 is new ????? maybe you will sugest z 30 ????? omg only priv nothing else we should reach the 3 milion devices by spring SO GUYS LETS GO buy BLACKBERRY PRIV
    Unfortunately the Priv is not priced in a consumer friendly range with carriers. Nice device but I also find the PKB too cramped for using to message - only shortcuts and trackpad. I'm holding out to see what the PKB mid range is like, if it surfaces.

Posted via CB10
    bbafdad likes this.
    05-16-16 02:38 PM
    BlackBerry seems to me as a company that is doing great.
    Really? They have no real market share, Their quarterlies SUCK!!!! stock is worthless, devices dont even rate an average. How are you defining great? They open their doors every morning?
    05-16-16 03:11 PM
    I wouldn't pin my decision on the fact that Snap may be done. After installing the playstore through cobalts method, I couldnt imagine a better experience under the circumstances. I personally love my OG Passport but getting close to moving on. May keep it around the house as a remote and a coffee table companion.
    Might as well sell it to someone who would use it as a phone.
    05-16-16 03:51 PM
    i was wondering why Snap wasn't working on my new device. the ip website to side load it hasn't been working in Google Chrome browser either.
    05-16-16 04:06 PM
    Ummm its a good plan and most needs for social apps and bank apps can be done at home or with a tablet. Lots of people buy and carry tablets. Why screw up the phone or 1/2 your phones battery life with stupid apps anyway? Huh?
    05-16-16 05:08 PM
    Is this true?

Posted via CB10
    Seems to be true. Snap for me is still working. I will have a SE in a few days so I will know soon. Im going to run it without droid apps at least for awhile too.
    05-16-16 05:10 PM
    I currently own a Blackberry Priv. I was going to get the passport but held out until the PRIV. I got it shortly after it was released and never looked back. The Android apps runs smoothly. Also being from the generation of SideKicks.... I love the fact that the Priv is a slider phone... it brings back great memories. On top of that... the camera is awesome. i do a lot of photography and stuff and work primarily on a phone. I am currently on my second PRIV due to the fact that the first one got stolen. I highly suggest the Android PRIV... If you can hold out.... i would for the new ones. Personally.... I like the slider. =) www.facebook.com/princealphastud
    05-16-16 05:22 PM
    enough for BB 10.
    05-16-16 05:33 PM
    Unfortunately the Priv is not priced in a consumer friendly range with carriers. Nice device but I also find the PKB too cramped for using to message - only shortcuts and trackpad. I'm holding out to see what the PKB mid range is like, if it surfaces.

Posted via CB10
    Reaney, I know initial info about the Rome/Hamburg were calling them mid-range devices but the most recent article I read names the Rome as very spec-similar to the Priv as a high-end device???

Posted via CB10
    05-16-16 06:27 PM
    Reaney, I know initial info about the Rome/Hamburg were calling them mid-range devices but the most recent article I read names the Rome as very spec-similar to the Priv as a high-end device???

Posted via CB10
    I know nothing beyond what I've read here and has been speculated. Whatever the specs, it'll run Android and despite mid range specs if they keep it close to Stock Android the device should run well for most users' use cases. So if they put some thought into the hardware form factor and continue to improve the "BlackBerry Experience" software they could be really nice devices. Potentially.

If you're frustrated with the shortcomings of BB10 et al, I'd stick with the iPhone 6S for now and wait and see what happens down the road. The 6S will keep its value and you can always sell it at a decent price if you're compelled to try out the new BB mid range devices (and might even make a profit, lol).
    bbafdad likes this.
    05-16-16 06:50 PM
294 ... 23456 ...