So I was hoping you guys could help give me some perspective and advice. I'm a brand new Passport Silver Edition owner, switching from iPhone 6s. I have a buyer for the 6s when I read about the Rome and Hamburg which are scheduled to be released this summer/fall. I love BB10!! But some Apps that I need on a daily basis like my banking App aren't offered on BlackBerry and even though I've managed to download/install most of the apps through Google Playstore, they either crash or don't run very smooth...Normally this wouldn't bother me much because BlackBerry has always been good about improving their OS, but many BlackBerry users have informed me that BlackBerry doesn't have plans to improve BB10 any longer. This has really got me considering the new Rome/Hamburg for my next device....My question to you all is should I keep the Passport until the Rome/Hamburg release or the iPhone?

Posted via CB10
    05-13-16 07:35 AM
    I'll just list the facts here:
    1. BlackBerry 10 hasn't seen major updates in years and will only be getting security and maintenance updates.
    2. BlackBerry 10 staff is mostly fired.
    3. BlackBerry 10 is losing support form devs and big companies.
    4. We have no idea what the 'Hamburger' or the Rome will look like, or if they'll ever make it to the market.
    5. BlackBerry stated that if they can't get profits out of HW by September then they'll seriously consider closing it.
    6. Apple and Google are still doing fine.

So my summary of the above: BlackBerry's HW department, even running 'the Google', is still on life support, they might choke any day any minute. So I wouldn't buy anything from them unless the Hamburger and Rome sells big time.

I would advise you to stick with your iPhone. Or if you prefer the SE than that's cool too.
    05-13-16 08:22 AM
    If the Passport isn't working for you now... it's not going to get any better. Keep the 6s until you find a devcies that meets your needs better. BlackBerry is only releasing the one PKB mid range device the end of this summer. But who knows when it will be release in your market, it will be a slow rollout - even if they go to a direct sales method.

Now if you don't really need those apps and can live without using them for several months.. by all means keep the Passport.
    rusty502 likes this.
    05-13-16 08:27 AM
    I'll just list the facts here:
    1. BlackBerry 10 hasn't seen major updates in years and will only be getting security and maintenance updates.
    2. BlackBerry 10 staff is mostly fired.
    3. BlackBerry 10 is losing support form devs and big companies.
    4. We have no idea what the 'Hamburger' or the Rome will look like, or if they'll ever make it to the market.
    5. BlackBerry stated that if they can't get profits out of HW by September then they'll seriously consider closing it.
    6. Apple and Google are still doing fine.

So my summary of the above: BlackBerry's HW department, even running 'the Google', is still on life support, they might choke any day any minute. So I wouldn't buy anything from them unless the Hamburger and Rome sells big time.

I would advise you to stick with your iPhone. Or if you prefer the SE than that's cool too.
    I think Chen has committed to at least the ROME... but a lot of time and Earnings Reports will pass before the Hamburger is to see the light of day. If the ROME is a flop, the Hamburger won't happen.

But I do kinda agree that buying into BlackBerry's version of Android is taking a risk of buying a device that won't be supported for very long. Before buying the ROME I'd want to at least here a commitment in regards to Android N.
    Velocitymj likes this.
    05-13-16 08:32 AM
    And can't trust on any commitment from BlackBerry ... so I suggest you to stick with iphone atleast for sure Apple won't go anytime soon frm their Handset Division

Posted via CB10
    05-13-16 10:07 AM
    Stay with the iPhone. It's all down hill for BlackBerry devices.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-16 10:18 AM
    Stay with iphone 6s, its a great phone... passport is a good device too but no future...

Posted via CB10
    Ahmad Kaddoura likes this.
    05-13-16 11:50 AM
    He mentions he is a new user.

Nobody has suggested yet that he install Cobalt's patches. He could also use Snap. My banking app, airline apps, HBO, Showtime, all require Google services. They all work fine if you just take a few minutes to bridge the app gap.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9742832) and BB_PP like this.
    05-13-16 12:14 PM
    I hear what you're all saying, I guess what's holding me up is I don't want to give up on BB10 or BlackBerry...

Posted via CB10
    05-13-16 12:31 PM
    He could also use Snap
    Not anymore--Snap is broken. It works if you have not logged out, but anyone attempting to log in now will find that it no longer will.
    05-13-16 12:47 PM
    Not anymore--Snap is broken. It works if you have not logged out, but anyone attempting to log in now will find that it no longer will.
    That's a bummer. Snap was great.
    05-13-16 05:01 PM
    BB10 APP SOLUTION my banking app still works and I have about 15 droid apps loaded out of curiosity , but almost never use them. Im on the Sept 2514 OS Leak. 2813 OS is the best problem free droid support OS.

Anyway the solution for must have droid app is to get a tablet. All you need is a tablet that supports KIT KAT 4.4 then you get Blend and have all of your apps. La de fricken da. I know so hard to do right? I mean think about it, do you really need hassled by all those battery sucking apps?
    05-13-16 05:25 PM
    Simple, use the browser to do your banking.
    05-13-16 05:31 PM
    I hear what you're all saying, I guess what's holding me up is I don't want to give up on BB10 or BlackBerry...
    Just keep the phone that you like the best. As soon as the phone is no longer useful for you, get something else.
    Graheem likes this.
    05-13-16 05:41 PM
    I think Chen has committed to at least the ROME... but a lot of time and Earnings Reports will pass before the Hamburger is to see the light of day. If the ROME is a flop, the Hamburger won't happen.

But I do kinda agree that buying into BlackBerry's version of Android is taking a risk of buying a device that won't be supported for very long. Before buying the ROME I'd want to at least here a commitment in regards to Android N.
    Well to be honest, I would never buy the Rome at 400 usd, BlackBerry simply can't win my trust anymore, I bought the SE and months later, they were like 'OK we're firing the staff. And we're going android. Suck on that.'

And then they made a PRIV, I tried that thing and I gotta say, it's definitely behind the REAL flagships out there, and it costs 700 bucks. And if that's what they call high end, then I can imagine what mid range looks like.

So my bid would be 150-200 bucks, tops, the AT&T priv is now available for like 400. So I suppose it won't take long for the Rome either.
    acovey likes this.
    05-13-16 09:54 PM
    That's a bummer. Snap was great.
    Man. If this is true that ruins BB10 for me. I have the PRIV and it's not perfect but it works really well for me. I've been thinking about getting a passport SE just cause I love that device but if Snap is done that really makes it harder to go that route. I have a leap just to mess around on and it feels so slow. Especially the browser. It definitely feels like BB10 is past retirement age at this point. Except the hub. The hub on BlackBerry10 is so smooth. OMG
    Graheem likes this.
    05-13-16 10:05 PM
    Bbafdad, there are people who loved their BB10 devices switching to iPhone or Android everyday. I switched to an iPhone from a Z10, my third BlackBerry device over about 9 years, three days ago and I now almost wonder why I took so long. Good luck.

8800 - 9000 - Z10 -?
    05-14-16 02:49 AM
    Simple, use the browser to do your banking.
    It is not possible to make mobile deposits via browser... ya have to use app for that.
    05-14-16 03:09 AM
    Man. If this is true that ruins BB10 for me. I have the PRIV and it's not perfect but it works really well for me. I've been thinking about getting a passport SE just cause I love that device but if Snap is done that really makes it harder to go that route. I have a leap just to mess around on and it feels so slow. Especially the browser. It definitely feels like BB10 is past retirement age at this point. Except the hub. The hub on BlackBerry10 is so smooth. OMG
    I wouldn't pin my decision on the fact that Snap may be done. After installing the playstore through cobalts method, I couldnt imagine a better experience under the circumstances. I personally love my OG Passport but getting close to moving on. May keep it around the house as a remote and a coffee table companion.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-16 08:26 AM
    It is not possible to make mobile deposits via browser... ya have to use app for that.
    This is true.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-16 08:26 AM
    As always, choose the platform that works best for you.
    05-14-16 09:13 AM
    I wouldn't pin my decision on the fact that Snap may be done. After installing the playstore through cobalts method, I couldnt imagine a better experience under the circumstances. I personally love my OG Passport but getting close to moving on. May keep it around the house as a remote and a coffee table companion.

Posted via CB10
    I actually got cobalts version working on my leap last night. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

One thing I am concerned with is that the LEAP is SOOOOO SLOW, Is the BB10 browser really that bad now or is just the poor processor on the LEAP. I am guessing the BB10 browser on the Passport has to be faster, or is it starting to slow down too.
    05-14-16 09:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    Which android apps are you having issues with crashing, etc? The 6S is a good phone for sure, but if you like the Passport and pkb I presume, then maybe see if you can resolve the crashing issues? Cobalt has patching available for apps, maybe that could resolve the issue. Anyway, that's only if you're keen to stick with the Passport / BB10 and don't mind tinkering around. Good luck!
    sooman54 likes this.
    05-14-16 09:58 AM
    Another option is to get a cheap Android phone for about $200 to keep at home. And use that phone when you have to deposit a cheque. You can still use the BlackBerry 10 phone for other things.

Your bank should have a decent mobile website if you are just checking your balance.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-16 10:03 AM
    Browser on the Passport is very fast.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-16 10:04 AM
294 123 ...