Because Apple controls the entire supply chain.

Android vendors have to rely on all of its component suppliers to provide patches.
    Yes, I understand the huge business challenge of getting such an extremely distributed supply chain to all work together. I hope that, as Android evolves they will start to improve the overall quality and consistency of the Android experience. As much progress as they've made, they still have a long way to go, IMO. I don't want them to become as closed and narrow as iPhone, but I would like to see better coordination between developers and supply chain partners.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-16-17 07:17 AM
    They don't have the inventory at all,else they would have not announced the BB10 end of era.sad to hear, and hope they change the decision.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-17 07:47 AM
    They don't have the inventory at all,else they would have not announced the BB10 end of era.sad to hear, and hope they change the decision.

Posted via CB10
    Lol, last device was launched in 2015, do you really expect them to suddenly bring back BB10 from the grave ?

Posted via CB10
    12-16-17 07:53 AM
    Yes, I understand the huge business challenge of getting such an extremely distributed supply chain to all work together. I hope that, as Android evolves they will start to improve the overall quality and consistency of the Android experience. As much progress as they've made, they still have a long way to go, IMO. I don't want them to become as closed and narrow as iPhone, but I would like to see better coordination between developers and supply chain partners.

Project Treble and the recent announcement on kernel support could certainly help but it might take a while before we start seeing the results.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...d-for-6-years/
    12-16-17 10:20 AM
    I am using SE and have been using BlackBerry since 2005,hearing the news about the end of OS is very disturbing for me. Would anyone answer me what will happen to the device once they are done with, I can live with SE if it just works with emails and calls and text. And I read somewhere that. An android is coming on Passports & SE,is it true?

Posted via CB10
    12-17-17 02:01 AM
    I am using SE and have been using BlackBerry since 2005,hearing the news about the end of OS is very disturbing for me. Would anyone answer me what will happen to the device once they are done with, I can live with SE if it just works with emails and calls and text. And I read somewhere that. An android is coming on Passports & SE,is it true?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, Santa Klaus is working on it right now.

More seriously, now, they is no longer any development for three years old devices from a company who left hardware business last year.

Just take your chance on the trade in program that what just announced and grap a KEYone or a Motion instead of your Passport.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-17 03:13 AM
    Might be better to trade ( up or down) to whatever arrives after the K1 and motion as they may only get two years of updates ( who knows at this point). I'm sure blackberry mobile wouldn't want you hanging on to a device for longer than that and would prefer you to purchase a new one around every two years.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-17 03:32 AM

Posted via CB10
    It explodes if you pick it up from whatever surface it was left on last..... BOOOM!!!!!!
    12-17-17 06:21 AM
    Might be better to trade ( up or down) to whatever arrives after the K1 and motion as they may only get two years of updates ( who knows at this point). I'm sure blackberry mobile wouldn't want you hanging on to a device for longer than that and would prefer you to purchase a new one around every two years.

Posted via CB10
    The Motion just came out, the Keyone on the other hand is almost a year old so it may only have a little over a year of security updates left (assuming it's only getting two years from launch).
    12-17-17 10:56 AM
    The Motion just came out, the Keyone on the other hand is almost a year old so it may only have a little over a year of security updates left (assuming it's only getting two years from launch).
    It didn't get wide release until June. So that's 6 months ago.

But I would expect the Motion and KEYᵒⁿᵉ be continued to be viewed and treated as a pair. KEYᵒⁿᵉ updates will continue as long as the Motion I would imagine. They both are essentially the same device, so should follow the same update path. Unlike previous models, it's no extra work.
    12-17-17 02:01 PM
    Yes. That's what I said ;-)

Posted via CB10
    Invictus0 likes this.
    12-17-17 02:02 PM
    It didn't get wide release until June. So that's 6 months ago.

But I would expect the Motion and KEYᵒⁿᵉ be continued to be viewed and treated as a pair. KEYᵒⁿᵉ updates will continue as long as the Motion I would imagine. They both are essentially the same device, so should follow the same update path. Unlike previous models, it's no extra work.
    Now that you mention it, I'm kind of curious how BlackBerry/BBMobile will handle this moving forward. The Priv launched in most (major?) markets in November of 2015 IIRC but the Keyone and Motion have more of a staged rollout, so will the cutoff point be the first global release or will it vary by market? And how about variants like the Keyone Black Edition?
    12-17-17 02:29 PM
    Now that you mention it, I'm kind of curious how BlackBerry/BBMobile will handle this moving forward. The Priv launched in most (major?) markets in November of 2015 IIRC but the Keyone and Motion have more of a staged rollout, so will the cutoff point be the first global release or will it vary by market? And how about variants like the Keyone Black Edition?
    I don't think it matters as far as the KEYᵒⁿᵉ is concerned.

Like I said, I don't see KEYᵒⁿᵉ patches stopping before the essentially identical Motion.
    12-17-17 02:41 PM
    On a failed marketing,
    nothing else.

The product itself was capable to success.

Posted via CB10
    Or another view

Let's say Blackberry would have had the first iPhone.

What would had happened?

Blackberry in a position as Apple today?

Posted via CB10
    I assume you were not a BB10 customer in 2013. The OS was not ready for prime time. Also, many here forget the BB10 marketing campaign in the Spring of 2013. The campaign was a lot more than one bad Super Bowl ad. Every mobile store I went in had BB10 ads. BlackBerry's reps were out meeting with retailers (Thor did not fire all of them until Oct. of 2013). It was not the best campaign, but a great product would have overcome the campaign. Unfortunately BB10 was not ready - lots of bugs and Blackberry had loads of returns. They eventually would have to write down a lot of z10 inventory. BB10 was not a solid and viable product until BB10 2.1 shipped in the Summer of 2014 (almost 7 years after the iPhone launched).
    12-18-17 06:39 PM
    I assume you were not a BB10 customer in 2013. The OS was not ready for prime time. Also, many here forget the BB10 marketing campaign in the Spring of 2013. The campaign was a lot more than one bad Super Bowl ad. Every mobile store I went in had BB10 ads. BlackBerry's reps were out meeting with retailers (Thor did not fire all of them until Oct. of 2013). It was not the best campaign, but a great product would have overcome the campaign. Unfortunately BB10 was not ready - lots of bugs and Blackberry had loads of returns. They eventually would have to write down a lot of z10 inventory. BB10 was not a solid and viable product until BB10 2.1 shipped in the Summer of 2014 (almost 7 years after the iPhone launched).
    Yeah I think people really forget that BB10 wasn't "ready" until 10.2.x and it didn't get core BlackBerry features like keyboard shortcuts until 10.3.1 in late 2014/early 2015.
    12-18-17 09:21 PM
    I bought the Z10 at launch, and it was pretty great for me out of the box, coming from. 9700 which I loved, though I agree BB10 improved with each update.

12-19-17 08:15 AM
    Yeah I think people really forget that BB10 wasn't "ready" until 10.2.x and it didn't get core BlackBerry features like keyboard shortcuts until 10.3.1 in late 2014/early 2015.
    A lot of people cite the launch as botched due to the software but it was not as much an issue as people state. I had an early q10 and it was fine. Sure the updates made it more usable and eliminated some bugs but Apples first build was just as horrible and it actually took them longer to iron out their issues.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-17 09:08 AM
    A lot of people cite the launch as botched due to the software but it was not as much an issue as people state. I had an early q10 and it was fine. Sure the updates made it more usable and eliminated some bugs but Apples first build was just as horrible and it actually took them longer to iron out their issues.

Posted via CB10
    It was a very big issue to users like myself coming from up to 10 years of using BBOS. Upon rollout, BB10 had many BBOS features missing and simultaneously missing things from Android/IOS ecosystem.

The iPhone on rollout, was the first Apple phone.

BlackBerry had already been in the phone business over 10 years plus they had 5 years since the iPhone rollout to get their crap together.

Plus, waiting for BB10 meant using old BlackBerry or Android/IOS. When BB10 failed on rollout, many just returned device and stuck with Android/IOS devices already nearby in use.
    12-19-17 09:20 AM
    It was fine, IF you were a BlackBerry fan and were willing to put up with the issues. It also might have been fine if it had been 2008. But it wasn't 2008. So the software needed to be better simply because the competition was fairly well along at that point.
    12-19-17 10:01 AM
    I bought the Z10 at launch, and it was pretty great for me out of the box, coming from. 9700 which I loved, though I agree BB10 improved with each update.

Lucky you. Had a horrendous experience with it during that time. The Z10 is actually the main reason why I never used a BB10 device again.
    12-19-17 10:04 AM
    Lucky you. Had a horrendous experience with it during that time. The Z10 is actually the main reason why I never used a BB10 device again.
    I guess it all depends on use case and expectations. I was able to configure my accounts, calendars, contacts, and tasks/notes, and sync them all to various cloud services as needed, and I got a very good (at the time) Web browser. I really didn't want or need anything more than that (and mostly still don't!) on my work device. Of course the browser is getting long in the tooth, but otherwise I'm still very happy with my Z10's performance, which has improved with each update.

Now I'm double carrying a KEYone, but I only use it for Android apps, which is about 5% of my usage.

12-19-17 10:10 AM

Posted via CB10
    The Q10 launched a few months after the Z10 so it had many fixes over the initial launch software that people had problems with. It also helps that it had a larger battery.

Apple launched a new OS in 2007 which, despite its issues, still did enough new and innovative things compared to the competition that people were willing to overlook its early problems. BlackBerry tried this in 2013 when the competition was incredibly fierce and competitive, it didn't help that BlackBerry already had a reputation for releasing unfinished/early products that needed software or hardware updates to compete (Storm, Torch, PlayBook, etc).

Edit: For context,

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...0-85-a-776986/
    12-19-17 10:25 AM
    I guess it all depends on use case and expectations. I was able to configure my accounts, calendars, contacts, and tasks/notes, and sync them all to various cloud services as needed, and I got a very good (at the time) Web browser. I really didn't want or need anything more than that (and mostly still don't!) on my work device. Of course the browser is getting long in the tooth, but otherwise I'm still very happy with my Z10's performance, which has improved with each update.

Now I'm double carrying a KEYone, but I only use it for Android apps, which is about 5% of my usage.

Yes, but many BBOS customers large and small companies were waiting to see BB10. Lots of promises were made. While diehard fans were willing to put up with the issues, most users who needed good solid phones were not.

The original iPhone was able to get around issues because it was initially launched for consumers not companies and was generally sold as an iPod with a phone built in. At the time even Apple did not see it as a development platform.

If BB10 had been launched in 2007 many initial bugs would have been overlooked. Not so in 2013, there were already there solid mobile OS's in the market. BB10 failed in getting corporate approvals in 2013 and by mid 2014 it was game over. Also, in 2013 BES was a mess, companies were decommissioning their BlackBerry servers in droves. BES 12 came out in 2014 and BlackBerry finally had a decent MDM solution to start supporting BYOD.
    12-19-17 11:28 AM
    Yes, but many BBOS customers large and small companies were waiting to see BB10. Lots of promises were made. While diehard fans were willing to put up with the issues, most users who needed good solid phones were not.

The original iPhone was able to get around issues because it was initially launched for consumers not companies and was generally sold as an iPod with a phone built in. At the time even Apple did not see it as a development platform.

If BB10 had been launched in 2007 many initial bugs would have been overlooked. Not so in 2013, there were already there solid mobile OS's in the market. BB10 failed in getting corporate approvals in 2013 and by mid 2014 it was game over. Also, in 2013 BES was a mess, companies were decommissioning their BlackBerry servers in droves. BES 12 came out in 2014 and BlackBerry finally had a decent MDM solution to start supporting BYOD.
    To sell the number of BB10 phones they wanted to in 2013, BlackBerry would have needed a phone and ecosystem of apps and MDM so good that the companies that were still resisting BYOD in 2013 could have actually satisfied their users, most of whom already wanted iPhone or Android by then, with a BB10 device.

I think that, by 2013, it was an impossible task, even if the phone and OS had been perfect at launch.

12-19-17 11:35 AM
    The Q10 launched a few months after the Z10 so it had many fixes over the initial launch software that people had problems with. It also helps that it had a larger battery.

Apple launched a new OS in 2007 which, despite its issues, still did enough new and innovative things compared to the competition that people were willing to overlook its early problems. BlackBerry tried this in 2013 when the competition was incredibly fierce and competitive, it didn't help that BlackBerry already had a reputation for releasing unfinished/early products that needed software or hardware updates to compete (Storm, Torch, PlayBook, etc).

Edit: For context,

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...0-85-a-776986/
    They released two months apart. The first software update fixed a lot of small things, as most updates do, primarily charging and the camera. Not really groundbreaking stuff. I will grant you that the Apple launch was more successful due to the new form factor but the OS struggled a lot and there was of of returns for Apple in the beginning. I used the first generation and it was really bad. OS locked up frequently, applications were deeply flawed and very little support in the app store. Apple also was developing a bad reputation for issues but they had the resources and drive to correct it. Blackberry was a big gigantic mess because they lacked focus and direction. The Storm had hardware/software issues because they rushed it out. The Playbook had under developed features, again because they were unfocused. The hardware was solid and still is. It was mostly timing that killed BB10
    12-19-17 12:00 PM
332 ... 11121314