Or another view

Let's say Blackberry would have had the first iPhone.

What would had happened?

Blackberry in a position as Apple today?

Posted via CB10
    If they had come up with something as revolutionary as the iphone, they would totally be in control today. No doubt. Apple controls the hardware and software, just like Blackberry did. It was all about who started the revolution (Apple) and who responded quickly to the change (Google). It's a fact that Google was working on a "Blackberry-killer" PKB Android phone design, but once they saw the iphone they scrapped it and moved to full-touch adoption. they saw the market change coming, and they adapted.

But, just like Microsoft, the powers in charge at Blackberry rolled their eyes and called the iphone a stupid toy. And here we are 10 years later, the stupid toy commands over 90% of all smartphone profits, while Blackberry and Windows phone OS'es are 100% dead.
    12-13-17 07:39 AM
    The product had no chance of success. Every single phone OS without a competitive app store, EVERY SINGLE ONE, has failed.

Microsoft spent a ton of money marketing Windows Phone. No apps, it failed.

"Lack of marketing" is total and complete bull.
    Not to mention Amazon, which HAD an app store and 100s of millions if customers!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-13-17 07:42 AM
    Conite is doing a great job of justifying every move that current BlackBerry is taking. It is not about fanfare. Chen promised 10.3.4 by the end of this 2017 year. So, what about that? Lies, purely. Even Conite, with his sophisticated sentences, can't make up for that. I just don't understand folks who kiss corporate asses no matter what it takes.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    12-13-17 07:57 AM
    Conite is doing a great job of justifying every move that current BlackBerry is taking. It is not about fanfare. Chen promised 10.3.4 by the end of this 2017 year. So, what about that? Lies, purely. Even Conite, with his sophisticated sentences, can't make up for that. I just don't understand folks who kiss corporate asses no matter what it takes.

10.3.3 was so delayed that they rolled the updates for 10.3.4 into it. You got what they intended to update but just not in name.
    12-13-17 08:01 AM
    Not to mention Amazon, which HAD an app store and 100s of millions if customers!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Yep, and they had their proprietary store, so the apps, even though they were Android, we always behind the Google Play versions. And the runtime was stuck on an older version. Amazon would have done better if they had just made regular Android with an Amazon wrapper and bloatware.
    12-13-17 08:27 AM
    10.3.3 was so delayed that they rolled the updates for 10.3.4 into it. You got what they intended to update but just not in name.
    this is plain BS. there were no updates. just niap and browser certs.
    they gave up.

Posted via CBX
    12-13-17 08:27 AM
    this is plain BS. there were no updates. just niap and browser certs.
    they gave up.

Posted via CBX
    Those were updates. They may not be important to you or me, but they were updates. BlackBerry doesn't owe you or anyone else anything. They were trying to survive. Companies do this all the time.
    12-13-17 08:31 AM

So? You make it sound like Blackberry is the first company to change its plans. Like Blackberry is the first company to promise a product and not deliver. News flash- it happens all the freaking time.

So what will you get in 10.3.4?

For almost the entire year of 2016 this website was plagued with "where is 10.3.3?" posts. It became its own meme.

10.3.3 came and it made so little difference that all the whiners shut up overnight. What they had wanted so badly they finally got, and couldn't even tell the difference between that and the 10.3.2 they were using the day before.

Notice how in 2017 practically nobody asks "where is 10.3.4?" Why? Because deep down they know even if it comes it'll be such a meager update they'll wonder why they bothered upgrading. The browser will still suck donkey poo, there still won't be a dark hub, there still won't be Lithuanian support, there still won't be a newer runtime. Just what exactly do you expect in 10.3.4 besides a higher version number? Because that's pretty much all you will get on the surface.

If I were John Chen I would have had the interns release an update that did absolutely nothing besides change the OS version number to 10.3.4.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    12-13-17 08:34 AM
    Well completely wrong!
    As Google allows every company to ad their layer of customisation the black berry can do it in almost HAL and other low level layer of os!
    Just check the steps of building os by manufacturers!

Posted via CB10
    It's still Google's OS. There is a big difference between building an OS, and customizing one (ie. flipping switches on or off) Lol. BB10 is the only truly custom and secure OS BlackBerry will ever have. Some here would have us believe somehow BlackBerry's version of Android is a magical super-secure version of the OS. That might have been slightly more true in 2015. If they actually did contribute any new security features leading up to the PRIV they have mostly been absorbed into stock Android. I'll take their regurgitation of all the standard Android security features...which is how this list reads in 2017 as opposed to a 2015 PRIV marketing brochure, and now mostly standard on any new Android device, for what it is. They have to market something unique about their take on Android. Granted, there are a few remaining features such as the kernel, the proprietary full disk encryption, and DTEK. But are these enough to consider it a customized and more importantly, more secure version of Android? I suppose it depends how loose your definition is...but without NIAP certification it's difficult to take their claims of enhanced security as anything more than a marketing ploy.
    Last edited by panopticon; 12-13-17 at 08:46 AM.
    12-13-17 08:35 AM
    So? You make it sound like Blackberry is the first company to change its plans. Like Blackberry is the first company to promise a product and not deliver. News flash- it happens all the freaking time.

So what will you get in 10.3.4?

For almost the entire year of 2016 this website was plagued with "where is 10.3.3?" posts. It became its own meme.

10.3.3 came and it made so little difference that all the whiners shut up overnight. What they had wanted so badly they finally got, and couldn't even tell the difference between that and the 10.3.2 they were using the day before.

Notice how in 2017 practically nobody asks "where is 10.3.4?" Why? Because deep down they know even if it comes it'll be such a meager update they'll wonder why they bothered upgrading. The browser will still suck donkey poo, there still won't be a dark hub, there still won't be Lithuanian support, there still won't be a newer runtime. Just what exactly do you expect in 10.3.4 besides a higher version number? Because that's pretty much all you will get on the surface.

If I were John Chen I would have had the interns release an update that did absolutely nothing besides change the OS version number to 10.3.4.
    First of all, are you aware that BlackBerry officially doesn't recommend that anyone should update to 10.3.3? Secondly, I know only of one mobile company that doesn't keep its promise in the end. Please, inform me about other such companies that don't deliver what they promised repeatedly.

12-13-17 09:55 AM
    Those were updates. They may not be important to you or me, but they were updates. BlackBerry doesn't owe you or anyone else anything. They were trying to survive. Companies do this all the time.
    I hear this all the time, that a company doesn't owe anything to its customers. But this mantra comes only from ordinary users, not from officials of BlackBerry or whatever company it is. I wonder, what makes you, ordinary customers, just like us, to justify corporate actions? Even CBK and Co don't kiss BlackBerrys' *** the way you (and others) do with this "BlackBerry doesn't owe you or anyone else anything" statement.

12-13-17 10:03 AM
    I hear this all the time, that a company doesn't owe anything to its customers. But this mantra comes only from ordinary users, not from officials of BlackBerry or whatever company it is. I wonder, what makes you, ordinary customers, just like us, to justify corporate actions? Even CBK and Co don't kiss BlackBerrys' *** the way you (and others) do with this "BlackBerry doesn't owe you or anyone else anything" statement.

Look, I wanted BlackBerry 10 to succeed just like everyone else. But not at the expense of the company going under and no longer existing. If you think it is so unfair and egregious, then file a class action lawsuit or something. I also didn't want Commodore to stop making products or Honda to discontinue the Prelude, but I got over it and moved on.
    12-13-17 10:20 AM
    Look, I wanted BlackBerry 10 to succeed just like everyone else. But not at the expense of the company going under and no longer existing. If you think it is so unfair and egregious, then file a class action lawsuit or something. I also didn't want Commodore to stop making products or Honda to discontinue the Prelude, but I got over it and moved on.
    Oh, I didn't know that you love BlackBerry as a company so much (perhaps more than its shareholders). Good luck with that.

12-13-17 10:36 AM
    Oh, I didn't know that you love BlackBerry as a company so much (perhaps more than its shareholders). Good luck with that.

I hoped they would survive in case they kept a foot in the cell phone market which they did with software. I enjoy having the Hub still.
    12-13-17 10:50 AM
    I hoped they would survive in case they kept a foot in the cell phone market which they did with software. I enjoy having the Hub still.
    Me too, for BlackBerrys survival in the smartphone market this or other way. But I don't think that removing info about quintessential BlackBerry 10 smartphones speak in favor of BlackBerry position. That information should have been kept at least until 2020 Though, in the end, it doesn't matter. We all know by now what a company BlackBerry is. No illusions.

12-13-17 11:06 AM
    First of all, are you aware that BlackBerry officially doesn't recommend that anyone should update to 10.3.3?
    This is not accurate.

The initial KB article said they were looking into customer complaints, but they never ended up pulling the update.

Further, they greenlit a subsequent update (10.3.3.3057) on Oct 23rd for Vodafone and several factory-unlocked devices.
    12-13-17 11:15 AM

Thanks for your kind words. I'm just volunteering my time like everyone else here.

I will not apologize for agreeing with BlackBerry's business decisions over the last few years. As a company, they have done what they needed to do to survive. Finally dumping the BB10 boat anchor, building up its software portfolio, seeking licencing revenues in order to monetize its intellectual property, and getting in on the ground floor in autonomous auto and IoT in general, has been nothing short of brilliant. Chen is to be congratulated. He's not perfect, but who is?

Chen promised updates to the end of 2016, culminating with 10.3.4. Obviously this is irreconcilable as 10.3.3 was delayed until the end of 2016. But the latest apps and browser certificates (as at Nov 2016) were included in the 10.3.3 build that went public.
    12-13-17 11:23 AM
    First of all, are you aware that BlackBerry officially doesn't recommend that anyone should update to 10.3.3? Secondly, I know only of one mobile company that doesn't keep its promise in the end. Please, inform me about other such companies that don't deliver what they promised repeatedly.

I didn't say "mobile" company. I said companies in general. But hey, the Essential Phone was supposed to ship June 2017. People didn't start getting their pre-orders filled until August. Was that the end of the world as we know it? But "OMFG 10.3.3 didn't ship in March 2016!!! IHATEYOUCHENDAMNYOUTOHELLLLLLL..." I mean really, what makes you hold Blackberry to some gold standard when all throughout modern times large businesses change their minds, cancel their plans, have delays and "lie" to their customers?

I mean if we're going to pick nits, a missed release date is indeed a "lie"! How many products don't launch on the day they were promised? Too many to count!

I'm not putting Blackberry on a pedestal in the least... I have criticized the botched Keyone launch just as much as the next person. But in my mind the absolute #1 thing they should have done, and done at LEAST 2 years ago, is officially declare that their dead OS is indeed dead so people can stop the childish clinging to some sad sliver of hope.
    12-13-17 12:20 PM
    It's still Google's OS. There is a big difference between building an OS, and customizing one (ie. flipping switches on or off) Lol. BB10 is the only truly custom and secure OS BlackBerry will ever have. Some here would have us believe somehow BlackBerry's version of Android is a magical super-secure version of the OS. That might have been slightly more true in 2015. If they actually did contribute any new security features leading up to the PRIV they have mostly been absorbed into stock Android. I'll take their regurgitation of all the standard Android security features...which is how this list reads in 2017 as opposed to a 2015 PRIV marketing brochure, and now mostly standard on any new Android device, for what it is. They have to market something unique about their take on Android. Granted, there are a few remaining features such as the kernel, the proprietary full disk encryption, and DTEK. But are these enough to consider it a customized and more importantly, more secure version of Android? I suppose it depends how loose your definition is...but without NIAP certification it's difficult to take their claims of enhanced security as anything more than a marketing ploy.
    BBOS7.1 has always seemed a better more secure OS than BB10 with BIS data instead of carrier data. Ecosystemwise, BBOS7.1 also had more apps with better developed user experience. If you're going to claim BlackBerry OS superiority, then pick the right OS which offered the most usability.
    12-13-17 01:58 PM
    BBOS7.1 has always seemed a better more secure OS than BB10 with BIS data instead of carrier data. Ecosystemwise, BBOS7.1 also had more apps with better developed user experience. If you're going to claim BlackBerry OS superiority, then pick the right OS which offered the most usability.
    OK, if we're going to include extinct and thoroughly fossilized BlackBerry OS...sure why not?
    12-13-17 02:34 PM
    OK, if we're going to include extinct and thoroughly fossilized BlackBerry OS...sure why not?
    You're describing BBOS7.1 and BB10 collectively.....
    12-13-17 07:51 PM
    You're describing BBOS7.1 and BB10 collectively.....
    Lol. Come on now, be nice. BB10 was updated this year wasn't it? To NIAP certification no less. Not too shabby, all factors considered.
    12-13-17 09:30 PM
    But I don't think that removing info about quintessential BlackBerry 10 smartphones speak in favor of BlackBerry position. That information should have been kept at least until 2020
    Why should they continue to keep marketing information on their website for products they no longer manufacture or sell?
    12-13-17 10:09 PM
    Funny there's this much discussion over it. Especially when you consider much of the info is still there, just not on that one particular page lol. - https://us.blackberry.com/software/s...ackberry-10-os In any case, there's no reason to keep it around in its entirety anyway.
    12-14-17 03:10 AM
    The product had no chance of success. Every single phone OS without a competitive app store, EVERY SINGLE ONE, has failed.

Microsoft spent a ton of money marketing Windows Phone. No apps, it failed.

"Lack of marketing" is total and complete bull.
    But you know that products follows a good marketing? Do you? If there had been a beginning success - more and more apps would had come.

And a good marketing is not only banners and spots. This is also a optimal support of app producers and also best support of its customers.

By the way. There is and was a appstore. Most of my apps are from the blackberry app store.

Don't believe all that a company suggest us to believe. Simply learn market mechanisms and THEN argue.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-17 03:33 AM
332 ... 89101112 ...